or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 239  

post #3571 of 29490
Many of the newer members of the D7000 club have been getting theirs from J&R through a little wheelin' and dealin'. You have to call them up and talk a sales rep down from $1000. Shouldn't be too hard. I bought mine stock from Moon Audio for $800. Not sure how willing he'd be to do that again, though.

They're a really great headphone. I hope whatever you end up with you'll enjoy.
post #3572 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by UkuleleHero View Post

New here... looking to purchase my first pair of decent headphones.

Interested in the Sennheiser HD 25's.. Open to other suggestions, though.

 

Halp?

 

Also: I checked the seller rating.. but is there the chance these could be knock-offs?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sennheiser-HD-25-1-II-Originals-ADIDAS-Headphones-NEW-/120714814187?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8782873808019184176#ht_1974wt_1139


That's cheap... but wow that guy has an impressive track record. As with all things on ebay though, buy with caution. If you want to be safe, you can always just buy the regular HD25-1-ii from an authorized seller and grab the coloured pads later.

 

post #3573 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post


 


If heat is an issue, that pretty much rules out all full sized closed headphones. For you, I would actually lean towards some supraaural sets. A few to consider:

Phiaton MS300 - great midrange energy, dip in the highs

Beyer T50p - good detailing, slightly brighter sound

Senn PX 100-ii - fun sound, midbass emphasis, very comfortable

Senn PX 200-ii - less bassy than PX100, better detail

B&W P5 - very comfy, great isolation, laidback sound

Senn HD25-1-ii - good detail, great isolation, rugged

 

 

I've heard about half of those an wouldn't say that any of them are really what I'm looking for. The P5 in particular had way too much low end that i felt it took away from what I was listening to. 

 

I wouldn't say that I get extremely hot to the point where I i'd rule out all closed headphone, but i'd like an open/semi open pair. I really want something that has the detail of the 880 with the envelope that the HD600 gives you. I don't really need isolation either since this is going to be a to be a desktop setup. And circulation around my ears would be nice, or at least a headphone with the option of velour pads. I'm not really a bass head; for reference the DT990s had too much bass as did DT 150. 

 

post #3574 of 29490


hi,

 

just bumping this post. need the advice guys.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutterX View Post

hi folks,

 

i am another potential audiophile in the sea that is head-fi.org

 

i wanted to purchase a nice pair of cans. mainly for traveling but i just can be bothered to go thru 238 pages on this thread. so iam just asking the pros. :D

 

i currently use 2 earphones. at home, the Bose in-ear earphones and while traveling the lovely Sony NC 22. the bose is great but the sound isolation is horrible.also they tend to distort at high volume. the sony is lovely and the NC is great for travelling. but as it happens, this set somewhat lacks in mid. this is why i have decided to upgrade to 'audiophile' headphones.

 

the music i listen is mainly trance and rock. hence mids and lows are very cruicial id say. also, i travel a lot and noise cancellation would be a boon.

basically i want to buy around ear cans. big size is not an issue. they should just not be a powerhog and volume should be high enough for me. i have been doing lots of research for the past month and am still running dry. would be grateful if you guys could suggest the right product for me.

 

my budget is around 300$. thanks in advance.

 

cheers...



 

post #3575 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by krtzer View Post


 

 

I've heard about half of those an wouldn't say that any of them are really what I'm looking for. The P5 in particular had way too much low end that i felt it took away from what I was listening to. 

 

I wouldn't say that I get extremely hot to the point where I i'd rule out all closed headphone, but i'd like an open/semi open pair. I really want something that has the detail of the 880 with the envelope that the HD600 gives you. I don't really need isolation either since this is going to be a to be a desktop setup. And circulation around my ears would be nice, or at least a headphone with the option of velour pads. I'm not really a bass head; for reference the DT990s had too much bass as did DT 150. 

 


Not too sure if I can really help you then... we must hear things really differently. The P5 was kinda bland and didn't have much bass for me, and I find the 880/990 rather shrieky.

 

If a closed circumaural is ok, maybe an Ultrasone (Pro650/750 is a good place to start)? I think they're good for rock/metal. The S-Logic isn't for everyone, but it can be quite engaging for those that it works on.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutterX View Post


hi,

 

just bumping this post. need the advice guys.
 



 



 

post #3576 of 29490

 

Hey Guys n Gals!

 

So I know these forums would be riddled with such questions, but after an extensive search I could not find anything that matched my criteria fully! 
So I thought I would make a post :)

So I guess to the point!
To begin with, I am not very tech savvy when it comes to musical things, so pre-apologies for that!

As to what I am looking for:

I'm looking for a full size headphone for travel. Recently I changed locations of my job, so I now travel one and a half hours by bus three times a day, and spend a lot of time out/walking as I am an avid photographer, but will also use them at my home to listen to music. I did have some $50ish in ear earbuds/earphones but I found after a while they hurt my ears, so was hoping to avoid those where possible! 

So that covers where I will be using them!

As to what I listen to; I listen to a broad variety of music, from punk bands like Grenadiers, to Parkway Drive, to Rammstein, to Electro such as Paul van Dyk, Soulwax, Drum'n'bass like Pendulumn, Chase and Status, to music such as Simon and Garfunkel, Emilie Autumn, Metalica, Placebo, Adema, Three Days Grace, Muse and Black Sabbeth, to name but a small amount, but tat gives you an idea on the range I listen to

So, my taste in music covers pretty much everything bar pop. 

So finding a balanced sound quality will be important to me.

 

As mentioned I send a lot of time on busses and near roads, so sound canceling/reducing is rather important as well. 

Also will be used with a 160gb iPod classic if that helps any, and more rarely with a Asus G73SW-XA1 gaming laptop, but for music not for gaming (use psyko 5.1 surround sound for gaming)

 

Also I am 6'6.5 so evidently have a largeish head so best to avoid smaller sized headphones, and, I will be unable to pre-test them and will have to be purchased online, and shipped to Aus, as here there is little range in stores, or they are two to three times the internet's cost for the same product

 

Now for the kicker, I'm looking at spending about $50-$150 total

I have been doing some research, and so far i like the look of the Fischer Audio FA-011's. They look pretty amazing, but, as mentioned i am not tech savvy, but reviews i have read for them all seem positive and sit nicely in my price Range. I have had a look at some of the Skullcandy headphones (such as the Mesh and G.I. series) but the sound quality seems down on them, though they do look nice.

As dumb as this sounds, I do like the look of red/black headphones, so if it's possible for those colours, amazing, but it's not majorly important. 

 

Well, thank you for reading my miniature essay, and, especial thanks to any aid rendered!

 

Regards,

Nikki

post #3577 of 29490

Hi...has someone compared the dt440 against dr-150? i couldn't find any comparison between them.

which one would be better for psytrance&house?

FWIR the dt440 are a neutral and well balenced HP, a very good allrounder, but how about comfort and durability?

the dr150 is said to be more forward more musical, a very "fun to listen to" headphone, and very comfy. but durability is questionable, and how will it perform with movies/games?

The dr150 is slightly cheaper than the dt440, but they both fit my budget perfectly (90€-120€), now it's all about comfort and SQ.

I dont have the possibillity to give them a listen, so its all up to you guys. no pressurebiggrin.gif.

thanks.

post #3578 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

Many of the newer members of the D7000 club have been getting theirs from J&R through a little wheelin' and dealin'. You have to call them up and talk a sales rep down from $1000. Shouldn't be too hard. I bought mine stock from Moon Audio for $800. Not sure how willing he'd be to do that again, though.

They're a really great headphone. I hope whatever you end up with you'll enjoy.
sounds good, i'll definitely give this a try, thanks! smily_headphones1.gif
post #3579 of 29490

Welp, my K702s have spoiled me and now i am in the market for a new set of portable cans to replace my TDK ST-550s

 

issue is, i dont have a great deal of money as i just spent alot of it on the K702s / amps etc. i am eyeing off a set of the Audio technica ESW9 clip ons at the moment but other than "they are not the same as full sized ESW9s" i cant find any info on how they sound. anyone here know anything about them? am also looking at EM7 clip ons, anyone know how they sound?


Edited by Surruk - 4/29/11 at 7:47am
post #3580 of 29490

Hello, back with another question! I have another friend who is interested in picking up a pair of headphones between 100-200 that he could use for some listening at night without disturbing others. He primarily listens to KPOP, so he values bass, and comfort comes in at a very close second. He'll be using his headphones with the Xonar DX he has in his computer, so I guess the headphones would need to be relatively easy to drive as well. He was originally looking at the M50 or the A700's, and while they are great value I'm not sure if they will do what he wants with them.

 

 

 

 

post #3581 of 29490

Please help... i'm a complete newb and this is my first post...

 

Music genres: Pretty equal across the board... jazz, rock, big band, metal, hip hop, electronic, etc... except modern country

Portable: Yes, NYC subway ... NO EARBUDS! I want over the ear.

Price range: $150 but maybe $200 if its worth it.

Amped: Nope... only thing pushing it with be my iPhone.

Closed/Open: Because of the train probably closed. I really wanted the Sennheiser HD 595's but i know they bleed sound. Maybe i should get the 280 or 380 pros?

 


Edited by chrisrushing - 4/29/11 at 8:48am
post #3582 of 29490

Sorry, seem to have missed this earlier.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutterX View Post

hi folks,

 

i am another potential audiophile in the sea that is head-fi.org

 

i wanted to purchase a nice pair of cans. mainly for traveling but i just can be bothered to go thru 238 pages on this thread. so iam just asking the pros. :D

 

i currently use 2 earphones. at home, the Bose in-ear earphones and while traveling the lovely Sony NC 22. the bose is great but the sound isolation is horrible.also they tend to distort at high volume. the sony is lovely and the NC is great for travelling. but as it happens, this set somewhat lacks in mid. this is why i have decided to upgrade to 'audiophile' headphones.

 

the music i listen is mainly trance and rock. hence mids and lows are very cruicial id say. also, i travel a lot and noise cancellation would be a boon.

basically i want to buy around ear cans. big size is not an issue. they should just not be a powerhog and volume should be high enough for me. i have been doing lots of research for the past month and am still running dry. would be grateful if you guys could suggest the right product for me.

 

my budget is around 300$. thanks in advance.

 

cheers...

Only a few I can think of...

Denon NC800

Senn PXC450

Audio Technica ANC7b - I've only had experience with this one, but I thought it was pretty good. Sound quality was ok and the active noise cancellation cut out ambient conversation in the room.
 

 

post #3583 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbientRaven View Post

 

Hey Guys n Gals!

 

So I know these forums would be riddled with such questions, but after an extensive search I could not find anything that matched my criteria fully! 
So I thought I would make a post :)

So I guess to the point!
To begin with, I am not very tech savvy when it comes to musical things, so pre-apologies for that!

As to what I am looking for:

I'm looking for a full size headphone for travel. Recently I changed locations of my job, so I now travel one and a half hours by bus three times a day, and spend a lot of time out/walking as I am an avid photographer, but will also use them at my home to listen to music. I did have some $50ish in ear earbuds/earphones but I found after a while they hurt my ears, so was hoping to avoid those where possible! 

So that covers where I will be using them!

As to what I listen to; I listen to a broad variety of music, from punk bands like Grenadiers, to Parkway Drive, to Rammstein, to Electro such as Paul van Dyk, Soulwax, Drum'n'bass like Pendulumn, Chase and Status, to music such as Simon and Garfunkel, Emilie Autumn, Metalica, Placebo, Adema, Three Days Grace, Muse and Black Sabbeth, to name but a small amount, but tat gives you an idea on the range I listen to

So, my taste in music covers pretty much everything bar pop. 

So finding a balanced sound quality will be important to me.

 

As mentioned I send a lot of time on busses and near roads, so sound canceling/reducing is rather important as well. 

Also will be used with a 160gb iPod classic if that helps any, and more rarely with a Asus G73SW-XA1 gaming laptop, but for music not for gaming (use psyko 5.1 surround sound for gaming)

 

Also I am 6'6.5 so evidently have a largeish head so best to avoid smaller sized headphones, and, I will be unable to pre-test them and will have to be purchased online, and shipped to Aus, as here there is little range in stores, or they are two to three times the internet's cost for the same product

 

Now for the kicker, I'm looking at spending about $50-$150 total

I have been doing some research, and so far i like the look of the Fischer Audio FA-011's. They look pretty amazing, but, as mentioned i am not tech savvy, but reviews i have read for them all seem positive and sit nicely in my price Range. I have had a look at some of the Skullcandy headphones (such as the Mesh and G.I. series) but the sound quality seems down on them, though they do look nice.

As dumb as this sounds, I do like the look of red/black headphones, so if it's possible for those colours, amazing, but it's not majorly important. 

 

Well, thank you for reading my miniature essay, and, especial thanks to any aid rendered!

 

Regards,

Nikki


 

Red/black you say? A set of Phiaton MS400 are lovely and have decent isolation. For drowning out bus noises though, also consider the (ranked from best isolation first) Senn HD280, Beyer DT770*, Shure 840/750, M50.

*you might be able to find the 770pro model within your budget

 

Seriously consider a different set of iems with better tips though. The isolation provided by iems is far superior to headphones.

 

If you want to try an active noise cancellation, the Audio Technica ANC7b might be found on sale within your budget.
 


 

 

post #3584 of 29490

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlface View Post

Hello, back with another question! I have another friend who is interested in picking up a pair of headphones between 100-200 that he could use for some listening at night without disturbing others. He primarily listens to KPOP, so he values bass, and comfort comes in at a very close second. He'll be using his headphones with the Xonar DX he has in his computer, so I guess the headphones would need to be relatively easy to drive as well. He was originally looking at the M50 or the A700's, and while they are great value I'm not sure if they will do what he wants with them.

 


The M50 is a safe choice. The A700 probably won't have enough to satisfy a basshead. Also consider the Sony XB500/700, or maybe a used D2000 if you find one within budget.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrushing View Post

Please help... i'm a complete newb and this is my first post...

 

Music genres: Pretty equal across the board... jazz, rock, big band, metal, hip hop, electronic, etc... except modern country

Portable: Yes, NYC subway ... NO EARBUDS! I want over the ear.

Price range: $150 but maybe $200 if its worth it.

Amped: Nope... only thing pushing it with be my iPhone.

Closed/Open: Because of the train probably closed. I really wanted the Sennheiser HD 595's but i know they bleed sound. Maybe i should get the 280 or 380 pros?

 


The HD280 are the best passive noise blocking headphones I've tried. Other good ones are the Senn HD25-1-ii and Beyer DT770pro, both of which you might be able to find on sale/used within your price range. The HD380 is arguably better than the 280 in every way except ruggedness (and costs twice as much), bit it also comes with a nice case so that might be something to consider.

 

post #3585 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrushing View Post

Please help... i'm a complete newb and this is my first post...

 

Music genres: Pretty equal across the board... jazz, rock, big band, metal, hip hop, electronic, etc... except modern country

Portable: Yes, NYC subway ... NO EARBUDS! I want over the ear.

Price range: $150 but maybe $200 if its worth it.

Amped: Nope... only thing pushing it with be my iPhone.

Closed/Open: Because of the train probably closed. I really wanted the Sennheiser HD 595's but i know they bleed sound. Maybe i should get the 280 or 380 pros?


People seems to recommend the dt250 a lot.its closed, over-ear, built like a tank, detachable cable, small...well...as small as full size can getsbiggrin.gif.

i havent tried them yet but they are on my "must have list" as a future replacment for my srh440, when i get tired of them.

fwir the dt250 does everything better then the srh440, and the srh440 does a lot. If you wants more information about SQ & comfort you'll have to ask aroundwink_face.gif.

ps. don't be scared by the 80ohm, they run fine without an amp.


Edited by habaman - 4/29/11 at 10:14am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum