or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 228  

post #3406 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbross View Post

Hi again you wise guys.

I'm still pursuing my quests for quality (closed) gaming headphones, and I have narrowed it down to those 2 options :

 

- DT 770 / 600

- Denon AH-D2000

 

It seems I can get them for approximately the same price (200 - 230 EUR).

 

Which one of those 2 would you advise me to get ?

 

Would any of those two be a MASSIVE improvement over - say - a Senn PC350 headset ? I mean, like worth a 150 EUR difference in price (cause Xense is 220 EUR and Essence ST + HP is like 370 EUR) ?

 

Thanks guys. I really can't make up my mind, and I definitely need your help.


I should start by pointing out that I'm not a gamer myself, and although I don't have personal experience with it I have read very good things about the Astro Mixamp so I recommend you look into that.  Also you should check out the reviews of headphones for gaming linked below.  Most of the headphones are open, but the DT770 pro 80 get a very good review in one (can't remember which) because they have very good directional accuracy. 


This is copied over from another thread I posted it in.

 

A good place to start is by searching for Steggy's gaming headphone/headset reviews.  He also talks a bit about the Astro Mixamp.  You can find one of these reviews here.

 

You can find coredump's review of 6 headphones for competitive gaming by clicking here.

 

Audioholic's quest for the Holy Grail of gaming headphones can be found here, although it isn't going to do your wallet any favours!

 

Finally, Kool Bubba Ice's Base can be found here.  Kool Bubba Ice is a well known and respected head-fier as well so you can search for some of his comments here on head-fi as well as his site. 

 

Good luck in the search!

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellAdjusted View Post

Hello head-fiers! I am in the market for a new pair of headphones and crave your sage advice. 

 

I've been using a pair of ATH-A900s for the past several years that I've loved, but they've been falling apart for about a year or so and have finally gotten to the point where sound quality is beginning to degrade (my hair also keeps on getting pulled out by all the tape). Before that I had a pair of Sennheiser somethingorothers (this was several years ago and I've completely forgotten what they were) where part of it just snapped in half. Although I try to be gentle with all my electronics, clearly I'm doing something wrong where headphones are concerned, so I'm shooting for durability with my next pair. I also expect I'll be travelling around a little more so this is that much more important. 

 

On to the bullet points then:

 

-My budget is around ~$150, although I can probably go as high as $200

-Circumaural is preferred

-Durable, durable, durable!

-I do not have an amp, nor do I plan on getting one. My main computer will be changing to laptop fairly soon though, so if that ends up being completely underpowered I may consider purchasing one. I'll be crossing that bridge when I come to it though.

-Will be mainly used for home listening, not out and about. 

-My music tastes are extensive (whose aren't?) and there's no one genre in particular I listen to more than any others, so I'm looking for something well rounded sound-wise.

 

Having browsed around for a little bit, I'm currently thinking of maybe:

 

-Sony MDR-V6s: they seem super, super durable and the price is very, very attractive.

 

-Sennheiser HD-25-1 IIs: definitely a little pricey and supra-aural at that, but still attractive.

 

-AT ATH-M50s: Seem to fit the bill, but as I'm currently being burned by another pair of AT phones falling apart on me I'm wary.

 

 

If I had to say, I'd say I'm leaning more towards the Sony or Sennheiser pair, but any advice/further recommendations would be most welcome! 

 

Happy listening.

 

If you're looking for durability most of all I'd look at a Beyerdynamic since I have yet to find anything as durable.  The DT770, while bass heavy are extremely durable and have easily replaceable ear pads and headband.  It also has pretty good comfort, and isolation for travelling. 

 

The M50s are another great pair for durability, although I would put them behind the DT770 in that category.  On the other hand, this set is more balanced sound wise than the 770 and also has good isolation and relatively good comfort, although I prefer the 770 for comfort as well. 

 

I can't speak to the V6 or the HD-25's, but know they are both highly regarded here.  I believe Uncle Erik has written some valuable info about the V6s somewhere, and there should be plenty of reviews on the HD-25 if you do a quick search for those too. 


Edited by cyberidd - 4/24/11 at 11:44pm
post #3407 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberidd View Post


I should start by pointing out that I'm not a gamer myself, and although I don't have personal experience with it I have read very good things about the Astro Mixamp so I recommend you look into that.  Also you should check out the reviews of headphones for gaming linked below.  Most of the headphones are open, but the DT770 pro 80 get a very good review in one (can't remember which) because they have very good directional accuracy. 


This is copied over from another thread I posted it in.

 

A good place to start is by searching for Steggy's gaming headphone/headset reviews.  He also talks a bit about the Astro Mixamp.  You can find one of these reviews here.

 

You can find coredump's review of 6 headphones for competitive gaming by clicking here.

 

Audioholic's quest for the Holy Grail of gaming headphones can be found here, although it isn't going to do your wallet any favours!

 

Finally, Kool Bubba Ice's Base can be found here.  Kool Bubba Ice is a well known and respected head-fier as well so you can search for some of his comments here on head-fi as well as his site. 

 

Good luck in the search!

 

Some food for my reflexion. Thanks !

 

The Astro Mixamp seems difficult to find in Europe ? I haven't seen it for sale at my usual online retailers.

 

I came across Mad Lust Envy's and Audioholic's famous posts but not those ones.

 

More often than not, the Denon AH-D2000 is not included in these reviews ;-(

 

I'm mostly gaming, but not competitively gaming - so SQ and immersion are more important than positional audio. Also, I think I need closed headphones, as the wife can be around watching tv. That's how I narrowed it down to DT 770 / 600 vs AH-D2000.

 

That being said, if a semi-open or open headphone doesn't leak more sound (in and out) than a supra-aural equipment (e.g. Senn PC151) then I might be considering one.

 

I'm sorry... I am insisting a bit but I read so many articles the last two weeks and am left with so many unanswered questions... 

 

Thanks for your support though !

 


Edited by bbross - 4/25/11 at 3:20am
post #3408 of 29490

It should run nicely off a small T-Amp, but then you're dealing with at least as much cost as you dropped on the headphones, and you won't know whether they will still sound good until after you buy it.  Vintage stats can tend to have channel imbalance problems.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickronin View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainDeleted View Post

 

 

No way to cut the amp out of the equation?




Not really. That's like trying to take the pistons out of your car and expecting it to still work. You can do it, but you have to replace the whole engine with something else entirely.


 

post #3409 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sml1226 View Post

I'm looking to stray from the Grado sound for a new portable (iBuds, half busted IEMs, or nothing are my current options frown.gif) I love the Grados, but I'm looking to try something different (not so different that I go from weak bass to monsters though)

Any recommendations that are relatively cheap (and that's basing my SR125i as the upper limit of the range right now) set of phones.

Not looking for IEMs (Mee M6 was the last attempt and I couldn't get a good fit with anything)
Earbuds are worse yet in terms of fit and stability for me
So I'm looking for anything over the ear, a headband of some sort (no KSC75s or other clip-ons), durability, and preferably something small, collapsable, or easily put in a case.

Any recommendations based on that?
TIA guys.


The Phiaton MS 400 might be just the thing for you, if you can find them in your price range.  They aren't quite fully over-ear, but they are quite comfortable.  The Sennheiser PX-100 would also be a really nice counterpoint for Grados.

 

post #3410 of 29490

Greetings!

 

This is my first post.  After discovering this site about two weeks ago, I have read some wonderful information in these pages! I'm very glad I found this s

I currently own an old set of Sony monitor series (about 15 years old), and replaced them with a nice set of Sennheiser HD428. I like the HD428's, but I feel I could have something better. I recently built a Chu Moy style amp and could not believe how noisy my equipment was! The amp, even tho cheap, allowed me to bypass all of the source chips built in to the computer and external USB soundcard for a line out.

 

Even going from USB to line out, most of the sources on my computer are very noisy. The Akai reel-to-reel that I use almost every day, and the B&O4002 turntable sound super fantastic in my HD428's. I need better equipment. The first two things I would like your input on is a decent desktop headphone amp, and the AKG K701. After reading many reviews, I normally would just decide and buy, but I found this thread.

 

The majority of the music I lissen to is "classical". Since I am a conductor and composer, I need to hear all the little middle bits that get covered up in heavy compressed recordings. I try to find the best recordings possible, and would like some decent equipment to go along with it. The recordings I lissen to can destroy lesser speakers.

 

There is a particular recording of the Firebird Suite that has a peak 12Hz (maybe lower) punch that will clip at all but the lowest values.  Full orchestral sections can almost always saturate an amp and clip, resulting in much cursing from me. I don't want to have to turn down the volume.  The electronic music I lissen to I don't mind to turn down, as I mainly lissen to it just to pass time, or when I find something new. I don't consider that critical lissening.

 

Anyhow, I've rambled enough. As for budget concerns, I think the $300 spent for the AKG's is money well spent, as for a decent amp, if a very good tube version (preferable) or even solid state were to be had for about the same money that would do the job, I would be happy.

 

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

 

post #3411 of 29490

Hey guys, right now I'm looking at replacing my current headphones, the Solo Beats HD (which I bought before I knew how overpriced they were), with a pair of the Seinheiser HD 428's possibility. Does anyone have any experience with the 428's, and if so, are they better than the more expensive Beats, or should I just stick with the ones I have now? I'd sell my Beats for the price of the Seins, so I want to make sure I'm not actually downgrading before I do this. If there are other headphones around the same price range that would be better I'd be willing to look at those as well, I'm looking for a pair of over the ear, closed headphones, since I'll be using them primarily outside of the house. Thanks.

 

 

 


Edited by MetaLicca - 4/25/11 at 5:34am
post #3412 of 29490

First post with a quick question. I am looking for light-weight, open, circumaural headphones and so far I've found the AKG-240mkII. Any others to consider at the same price range (or lower)?

I am located in Germany.

Thanks

post #3413 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by partaolas View Post

First post with a quick question. I am looking for light-weight, open, circumaural headphones and so far I've found the AKG-240mkII. Any others to consider at the same price range (or lower)?

I am located in Germany.

Thanks


You could try the Sennheiser HD 555's, I've never used them myself, but they're the same price (maybe a little cheaper) than the AKG's, and I've heard a lot of good things about them.

 


Edited by MetaLicca - 4/25/11 at 6:08am
post #3414 of 29490

This isn't a hugely popular recommendation, but I really like my M-Audio Delta soundcard, with line out to an amp.  I find I'm able to get an extremely good, clean signal, as one would expect from a music production soundcard, and they are quite cheap.  In terms of an amp, FWIR the AKGs would probably like a hybrid tube amp, but if minute details are your primary goal, a solid state amp might suit you better.  I'll reserve judgment on that for people who own the K70X and listen to more classical than I do.  You also might want to add the Beyerdynamic DT880 to your headphone research list, if you want something that's detailed but will also dip down to the low bass when you need it to.

 

My main computer setup is M-Audio Delta 24/96->Musical Paradise MP-301, and it does make quite a nice combination.  The Mark II just came out, is in your price range, and looks to be a nice upgrade.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRichard View Post

Greetings!

 

This is my first post.  After discovering this site about two weeks ago, I have read some wonderful information in these pages! I'm very glad I found this s

I currently own an old set of Sony monitor series (about 15 years old), and replaced them with a nice set of Sennheiser HD428. I like the HD428's, but I feel I could have something better. I recently built a Chu Moy style amp and could not believe how noisy my equipment was! The amp, even tho cheap, allowed me to bypass all of the source chips built in to the computer and external USB soundcard for a line out.

 

Even going from USB to line out, most of the sources on my computer are very noisy. The Akai reel-to-reel that I use almost every day, and the B&O4002 turntable sound super fantastic in my HD428's. I need better equipment. The first two things I would like your input on is a decent desktop headphone amp, and the AKG K701. After reading many reviews, I normally would just decide and buy, but I found this thread.

 

The majority of the music I lissen to is "classical". Since I am a conductor and composer, I need to hear all the little middle bits that get covered up in heavy compressed recordings. I try to find the best recordings possible, and would like some decent equipment to go along with it. The recordings I lissen to can destroy lesser speakers.

 

There is a particular recording of the Firebird Suite that has a peak 12Hz (maybe lower) punch that will clip at all but the lowest values.  Full orchestral sections can almost always saturate an amp and clip, resulting in much cursing from me. I don't want to have to turn down the volume.  The electronic music I lissen to I don't mind to turn down, as I mainly lissen to it just to pass time, or when I find something new. I don't consider that critical lissening.

 

Anyhow, I've rambled enough. As for budget concerns, I think the $300 spent for the AKG's is money well spent, as for a decent amp, if a very good tube version (preferable) or even solid state were to be had for about the same money that would do the job, I would be happy.

 

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

 



 

post #3415 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellAdjusted View Post

Hello head-fiers! I am in the market for a new pair of headphones and crave your sage advice. 

 

I've been using a pair of ATH-A900s for the past several years that I've loved, but they've been falling apart for about a year or so and have finally gotten to the point where sound quality is beginning to degrade (my hair also keeps on getting pulled out by all the tape). Before that I had a pair of Sennheiser somethingorothers (this was several years ago and I've completely forgotten what they were) where part of it just snapped in half. Although I try to be gentle with all my electronics, clearly I'm doing something wrong where headphones are concerned, so I'm shooting for durability with my next pair. I also expect I'll be travelling around a little more so this is that much more important. 

 

On to the bullet points then:

 

-My budget is around ~$150, although I can probably go as high as $200

-Circumaural is preferred

-Durable, durable, durable!

-I do not have an amp, nor do I plan on getting one. My main computer will be changing to laptop fairly soon though, so if that ends up being completely underpowered I may consider purchasing one. I'll be crossing that bridge when I come to it though.

-Will be mainly used for home listening, not out and about. 

-My music tastes are extensive (whose aren't?) and there's no one genre in particular I listen to more than any others, so I'm looking for something well rounded sound-wise.

 

Having browsed around for a little bit, I'm currently thinking of maybe:

 

-Sony MDR-V6s: they seem super, super durable and the price is very, very attractive.

 

-Sennheiser HD-25-1 IIs: definitely a little pricey and supra-aural at that, but still attractive.

 

-AT ATH-M50s: Seem to fit the bill, but as I'm currently being burned by another pair of AT phones falling apart on me I'm wary.

 

 

If I had to say, I'd say I'm leaning more towards the Sony or Sennheiser pair, but any advice/further recommendations would be most welcome! 

 

Happy listening.


Others have been recommending Beyers for durability, but if you can find one of the indestructible German Maestros (esp. 8.35) in that range, you'll have a headphone that will outlast you.  The DBI Pro rebrands are also worth checking out.

 

post #3416 of 29490

Hey guys, right now I'm looking at replacing my current headphones, the Solo Beats HD (which I bought before I knew how overpriced they were), with a pair of the Seinheiser HD 428's possibility. Does anyone have any experience with the 428's, and if so, are they better than the more expensive Beats, or should I just stick with the ones I have now? I'd sell my Beats for the price of the Seins, so I want to make sure I'm not actually downgrading before I do this. If there are other headphones around the same price range that would be better I'd be willing to look at those as well, I'm looking for a pair of over the ear, closed headphones, since I'll be using them primarily outside of the house. Thanks.

 

 

 


EDIT: I've started looking at the Shure SRH 440 and the Audio Technica ATH M35's as well as the 428's. I'm not sure if those are at all better than the 428's, but I've read good things about them.

post #3417 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

I think the Beyerdynamic DT880/990 (semi open and open respectively, and not bad for leaking noise) are just what you're looking for. Very comfortable, good bass, very durable. The DT990 has a pro model which is cheaper and clamps a bit harder, but sonically is barely any different from the "premium" model.
 

As for amping, if you have a good sound card you could get away without any need for an amp. With spring cleaning/garage sale season around the corner, pick up a cheap receiver/amp and use that to power the headphones (and heck, pick up some speakers while you're at it).


I've read some pretty good things about those headphones but I'm not sure why but they just don't appeal to me very much I think it may be the design, even though I won't be taking them outside or anything I still like a good looking product. I've been looking at Ultrasone for a bit now, do you think they will suit my needs?

 

And one more question, I also live in Canada and I was wondering where you buy most of your audio equipment, I don't really want to deal with customs charges. Thanks alot for helping.

 

post #3418 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaLicca View Post

Hey guys, right now I'm looking at replacing my current headphones, the Solo Beats HD (which I bought before I knew how overpriced they were), with a pair of the Seinheiser HD 428's possibility. Does anyone have any experience with the 428's, and if so, are they better than the more expensive Beats, or should I just stick with the ones I have now? I'd sell my Beats for the price of the Seins, so I want to make sure I'm not actually downgrading before I do this. If there are other headphones around the same price range that would be better I'd be willing to look at those as well, I'm looking for a pair of over the ear, closed headphones, since I'll be using them primarily outside of the house. Thanks.

 

 

 


EDIT: I've started looking at the Shure SRH 440 and the Audio Technica ATH M35's as well as the 428's. I'm not sure if those are at all better than the 428's, but I've read good things about them.


 

The Solos are very meh, with a lower-mid that muddies up the rest of the spectrum. The 428 is much more balanced. The 428 is full sized though, and does not collapse in any way. Are you looking for something portable?

 

Of the other choices, I would say the 440 is your best choice. I've heard either the M30 or M35 I don't remember, but I feel the 440 is the nicest. A note though: these are all relatively neutral response headphones. If you're looking for bass, you probably won't be happy with these.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4rg View Post


 


I've read some pretty good things about those headphones but I'm not sure why but they just don't appeal to me very much I think it may be the design, even though I won't be taking them outside or anything I still like a good looking product. I've been looking at Ultrasone for a bit now, do you think they will suit my needs?

 

And one more question, I also live in Canada and I was wondering where you buy most of your audio equipment, I don't really want to deal with customs charges. Thanks alot for helping.

 


I only have experience with the closed Ultrasones. I liked the Pro 650 model (the 550 was a little lean in the bass).

 

I've been compiling a list of Canadian retailers here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/548624/listing-canadian-companies-retailers

In general the prices are higher than US, but at least you don't have ridiculous shipping and customs fees.

post #3419 of 29490

Alright, thanks alot for your help

post #3420 of 29490

Hello. Great forum! Exactly what I was looking for. I was wondering if anyone can help me. I was looking to get some full size cans.

 

Considerations:

- AIAIAI TMA-1's

- D1100's

- Senn HD25's

- Senn HD595

- ATH-M50's

- AKG K518's (For portability)

 

All within my price range. $100-200.

 

My Music:

- Linkin Park

- Blue October

- Coldplay

- Red

- Jamey Johnson

- Zac Brown Band

- Frank Sinatra/Dean Martin

- Blues

 

I'm not sure if an amp would need to be considered.

 

Thank you for any help you can provide. I'm new to this, but find myself falling deeper into audiophilia.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum