or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 227  

post #3391 of 29490
'lo.

My speakers crapped out on me (left speaker to be exact), and I've been thinking about buying some phones for some time now so I guess this is a good opportunity as ever.

I am not an audio-phile by any stretch but when I'm buying something, I want to buy the best I possibly can, with my budget.

Currently I own a pair of Denon AH-D1001 that I use with my voodoo sound fixed Samsung Galaxy S, and I've tried to use them on my computer (where I have all my music - and what I'll use the new phones for), but they are closed and even though they are incredibly comfortable I find using closed headphones for long sessions (we're talking 6 hours +) to be unpleasant. I can't really explain it well but its like having earplugs in for a long time.

On the other hand, I have had problems with neighbours due to my stereo volume, so I dont want ALL of the sound to leak out. I'm also going to use them together with a microphone, so I guess I'm looking for half-closed phones?

My budget is 250 bucks, and since the phones will be used only at home (and within 3 meters of the computer), I don't mind using an amp.

Any takers? Less than 250 bucks, phones that dont cause the weird sensation of using closed phones for prolonged sessions, but closed enough so my neighbours wont scream at me, and that I can use them for VoIP.

Thanks in advance.
post #3392 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Substrata View Post

Haha, it's really not that loud, and I only turn it up like 10% of the time, but with PX-100s that's enough. I don't mean fully blown, I just mean one side starts crackling, which is annoying. I do have to fight with a lot of exterior noise, so you're probably right about closed headphones.

 

I guess I'll just further research M50, Shure 750, and Q40 and go with one of those then. As for MP3s, I do notice that a lot of my older ones that are 128 kbps and such sound pretty bad, but it's been like that for a while, so I guess that's just how it is. It'll just encourage me to continue replacing them with higher quality files. biggrin.gif

 

Thanks for your suggestions!


If you have really old MP3s, they might simply be badly encoded. Encoders have improved quite a bit in the past several years; a modern 128 bitrate file is noticeably better than a 128 file from ten years ago. Even a 320 kbps file from ten years ago might be "worse" than a 192 from today. A related issue might be that the rips were volume boosted. Back in the day, this was a cheap tactic to make the music sound "better" when in fact it just lead to more distortion and clipping.

 

If you fight with exterior noise, then isolation should become one of your primary factors when deciding on a headphone. The Q40 isn't that great at isolation, the Shure 750 and 840 are good, the M50 is a bit less but still good (actually putting the 840 pads on the M50 makes it just as good). The Beyer DT770 is fantastic at isolation, but it's a bit big for portable use. Two others to consider with excellent isolation: Senn HD25-1-ii, B&W P5.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post

Ok, guys, I need some help.

 

What is an excellent recommendation for a sub $200 (or so) open ear headphone that is excellent for classical? I'm looking for something that would be easier to drive (though not portable) than the HD600 (and cheaper). My thought is pairing it with a more, fun forward phone, like Alessandro MS1 and a descent portable amp for my office system.

 

After hearing the HD25 1 (which is obviously closed) and which wouldn't be my first choice for classical, I realized that I may not be the audiophile I sometimes think I am! The HD25-1 is amazing to me and I enjoyed them on a visceral level that i haven't been enjoying the HD600. But I know I need something more neutral than the HD25-1 for classical music.

 

So while the HD600 tops many recommendations for classical, they are tough to drive and a little expensive. What would be cheaper and easier to drive but still great for classical?

 

For classical, I enjoyed the Audio Technica AD700. Any of the midrange Senns are also nice, like the HD555/595 if you can still find them (they have been replaced with the newer/pricier 558 & 598)
 

The MS1 is good as well, though personally not a top choice for me. I would also avoid it for a work environment unless you have your own office. The Grado/Alessandro line of headphones are just as loud on the outside as in, which may not weigh favourably with your coworkers.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4rg View Post

Hey guys, I'm looking for my first set of high end headphones so I really don't have any preferences or anything, hope you guys can help me out.

 

Use:

I listen to pretty much everything, 40% dubstep/electronica, 20% rock, 20% rap 20% everything else, so I guess I'm looking for a pretty all around set of headphones. I also do some gaming here and there but thats not a priority at all.

 

Open Or Closed:

I'd perfer open headphones, maybe semi-open but from what I know those aren't very common.

 

Source:

The source is most likely going to be out of a Xonar Essence STX which I have yet to buy so if any of you would recommend a small desktop amp for about $200 I would take that into consideration instead.

 

Budget:

I would like to keep it below $300 maybe up to about $350.

 

Portablity:

This isn't an issue for me at all because I'm always going to be using them at home.


Other:

I would also like these headphones to be pretty comfortable because I spend a pretty long time listening to music.

I also need these headphones too be pretty durable, they won't be going through any sort of abuse or anything but I'll probably use them for the next 3-4 years.

 

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps.

 

I think the Beyerdynamic DT880/990 (semi open and open respectively, and not bad for leaking noise) are just what you're looking for. Very comfortable, good bass, very durable. The DT990 has a pro model which is cheaper and clamps a bit harder, but sonically is barely any different from the "premium" model.
 

As for amping, if you have a good sound card you could get away without any need for an amp. With spring cleaning/garage sale season around the corner, pick up a cheap receiver/amp and use that to power the headphones (and heck, pick up some speakers while you're at it).

post #3393 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay2070 View Post

Guys,

 

After buying hd595 and skipping over the amplifier, thought I would invest the amplifier money to buy some in ear phones to go along with my sansa clip+. My ear shape is such that normal ear phones that comes free with the cell phones keep falling off! So i am looking at in ear models with Noise Isolation.

 

Any suggestions for around 100$? Frequency response should be something like hd595 and a lil bassy. give me a few names and lemme do some reading :)

 

I got the cx 55 from DE - http://www.dealextreme.com/p/34760 Got the so called "Genuine piece". Its quite bassy but the mids are highs are not THAT good even after 12 hrs of break in. The volume has increased considerably after 12 hrs use though.

 

So looking for something better. How are the NuForce 700X? Read some good review on amazon. All the others in the 100 $ range have just 4*  or less ratings, not even 4.5 *. Any suggestions would be really really helpful. :)

 

It would be nice if they had a mic too, so that i can use them with my xperia and other phones, but its not compulsary. :)

 

Thanks,

Vinay

 



I'm not an iem guy, but I can point you to the big resource here...

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-162-iems-compared-kozee-infinity-x1-earsonics-sm2-added-04-16#post_6492044

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbross View Post

Hi again you wise guys.

I'm still pursuing my quests for quality (closed) gaming headphones, and I have narrowed it down to those 2 options :

 

- DT 770 / 600

- Denon AH-D2000

 

It seems I can get them for approximately the same price (200 - 230 EUR).

 

Which one of those 2 would you advise me to get ?

 

Would any of those two be a MASSIVE improvement over - say - a Senn PC350 headset ? I mean, like worth a 150 EUR difference in price (cause Xense is 220 EUR and Essence ST + HP is like 370 EUR) ?

 

Thanks guys. I really can't make up my mind, and I definitely need your help.

 

Check out this link for gaming headphone reviews:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone#post_7208658


If I had to pick between those two for competitive gaming, I would go with the D2000. The DT770 would be great for bass heavy games and movies, but your directionality would be obscured by all the excessive bass.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ili2 View Post

'lo.

My speakers crapped out on me (left speaker to be exact), and I've been thinking about buying some phones for some time now so I guess this is a good opportunity as ever.

I am not an audio-phile by any stretch but when I'm buying something, I want to buy the best I possibly can, with my budget.

Currently I own a pair of Denon AH-D1001 that I use with my voodoo sound fixed Samsung Galaxy S, and I've tried to use them on my computer (where I have all my music - and what I'll use the new phones for), but they are closed and even though they are incredibly comfortable I find using closed headphones for long sessions (we're talking 6 hours +) to be unpleasant. I can't really explain it well but its like having earplugs in for a long time.

On the other hand, I have had problems with neighbours due to my stereo volume, so I dont want ALL of the sound to leak out. I'm also going to use them together with a microphone, so I guess I'm looking for half-closed phones?

My budget is 250 bucks, and since the phones will be used only at home (and within 3 meters of the computer), I don't mind using an amp.

Any takers? Less than 250 bucks, phones that dont cause the weird sensation of using closed phones for prolonged sessions, but closed enough so my neighbours wont scream at me, and that I can use them for VoIP.

Thanks in advance.

I don't think you'll ever have to worry about neighbours complaining about noise from open headphones. Unless you have paper thin walls, there's no way an open headphone can generate enough noise to bother your neighbours... your eardrums would bleed before that ever happened.
 


Since you didn't specify any kind of music genre, I'll just default to a Sennheiser recommendation. Within your price range there's the 555/595/558/598/580 and a used 600. Only the last two need an amp of any sort, and your speaker amp should be more than sufficient (assuming it has a headphone jack).

post #3394 of 29490

? Will dt250 80ohm work with small ipod?

 

 

 

Gday all I had my phase of headphone search years ago. I first bought a set of very expensive stax classics and didn't like them much. Then I bought a set of beyer dt150 and was so happy I never wanted for more. Recently I replaced the earcussions and wow they where even better. The only other headphone I would like to try other then the newest top of the line beyer which is never going to happen is the dt770 just to experience a bit more slash and bite the 150's lack occasionally especially when I finish my new 71a headphone amp.

 

But that not why I am here for today. I want to buy a set of beyer's for my little babe who is 4 years 4 months and 1 week old. She loves to listen to my 150's they fit her perfectly well she cant move about with out slipping off. She also likes my little ipod.The smallest model with out the display. I want to load it up with wiggles for her and buy her a set of beyers. I had in mind a pair of beyer dt250 80ohm.Can anyone tell me if the little ipod will drive the 80ohm dt's? If it lacked ultimate volume that wouldn't be a bad thing more a good safety measure as I am worried about her hurting her ears.In fact if it goes too loud I may add a resister in line to cut the top volume limit for her.I want her to keep her hearing perfect. I hope one day she will take over my love of music and hifi and even my business I want to start.

post #3395 of 29490
Hi,

I'm looking for some decent headphones for listening to music, but I'd also like it to have a mic on it for use with Skype etc. Would any of you be able to recommend a pair of cans with the same sort of sound quality as the Sennheiser HD 595 but with an attached mic? I saw Sennheiser's PC 360, but that seemed to be aimed at gaming and I'm more into music. As for budget I don't mind spending up to £180, but anything extra would have to really be worth it.

Thanks for any help:)

Didn't see this thread before making my own, sorry! smily_headphones1.gif
post #3396 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitsofControl View Post

? Will dt250 80ohm work with small ipod?

 

 

 

Gday all I had my phase of headphone search years ago. I first bought a set of very expensive stax classics and didn't like them much. Then I bought a set of beyer dt150 and was so happy I never wanted for more. Recently I replaced the earcussions and wow they where even better. The only other headphone I would like to try other then the newest top of the line beyer which is never going to happen is the dt770 just to experience a bit more slash and bite the 150's lack occasionally especially when I finish my new 71a headphone amp.

 

But that not why I am here for today. I want to buy a set of beyer's for my little babe who is 4 years 4 months and 1 week old. She loves to listen to my 150's they fit her perfectly well she cant move about with out slipping off. She also likes my little ipod.The smallest model with out the display. I want to load it up with wiggles for her and buy her a set of beyers. I had in mind a pair of beyer dt250 80ohm.Can anyone tell me if the little ipod will drive the 80ohm dt's? If it lacked ultimate volume that wouldn't be a bad thing more a good safety measure as I am worried about her hurting her ears.In fact if it goes too loud I may add a resister in line to cut the top volume limit for her.I want her to keep her hearing perfect. I hope one day she will take over my love of music and hifi and even my business I want to start.


Any mp3 player can drive any headphone, just not necessarily to loud volumes. From specs, it looks like the 250 is actually a little more sensitive than the 150, which means it will go louder.

 

For volume limiting, the Sansa Clip and Fuze have a low/high volume setting which can prevent them from going too loud.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiiZzle View Post

Hi,

I'm looking for some decent headphones for listening to music, but I'd also like it to have a mic on it for use with Skype etc. Would any of you be able to recommend a pair of cans with the same sort of sound quality as the Sennheiser HD 595 but with an attached mic? I saw Sennheiser's PC 360, but that seemed to be aimed at gaming and I'm more into music. As for budget I don't mind spending up to £180, but anything extra would have to really be worth it.

Thanks for any help:)

Didn't see this thread before making my own, sorry! smily_headphones1.gif

 

The gaming headphones are for the most part just an existing model with a microphone attached. It's not like they're reduced in music quality by adding the mic. I *think* the PC350 is just the HD380 (best read up on that yourself, I don't recall for certain)

 

 


Edited by Armaegis - 4/24/11 at 4:19pm
post #3397 of 29490

Hey, what's up...I'm somewhat of a newby here. My uncle said he'd sell me his Stax 'New' SR-3 (Earspeakers?) phones for $30. They sound nice and they look pretty cool. However...The whole adapter (SRD-5?) thing seems practically arcane to me. I'm pretty intimidated by this 40 year old tin can, to be honest.

 

So, really, what I'm asking is this: Can I somehow hook these phones up to my mac? Do I need to buy an amp to make this happen? What sort of amp if so? (Should I buy them?)

 

My uncle is a very greasy man, I don't want to get ripped outta $30 and have to try and get it out of him later.

 

Thanks!


Edited by BrainDeleted - 4/24/11 at 4:43pm
post #3398 of 29490

Hello,

 

I am looking for new headphones because my Sennheiser HD 555 broke. I used them without an amplifier with my onboard sound card of my PC or connected to my Yamaha P155 piano.
I already read a lot of reviews, but I just can't decide. My current candidates are:
 

  • Sennheiser HD 600
  • Sennheiser HD 650
  • AKG K701

 

Do I miss other alternatives in the list?

I listen to a broad spectrum of music, but mainly to classic, rock, ragtime. I want universal headphones which don't distort the music. They should also do well when I use them while I play the piano.

I also need a DAC and a headphone amplifier. I need a good solution to get rid of the onboard sound card. Here I am very unsure, I stumbled across the E7/E9 combo from FiiO, they seem quite good for the price. Are there any better alternatives for this price?
My budget is 550€. Currently I am tending to the Sennheiser HD 650, but the more reviews I read, the more unsure I get about the headphone. Does anybody have personal experience with a 650/600/701 in combination with the E7/E9?

 

Thanks in advance

post #3399 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainDeleted View Post

Hey, what's up...I'm somewhat of a newby here. My uncle said he'd sell me his Stax 'New' SR-3 (Earspeakers?) phones for $30. They sound nice and they look pretty cool. However...The whole adapter (SRD-5?) thing seems practically arcane to me. I'm pretty intimidated by this 40 year old tin can, to be honest.

 

So, really, what I'm asking is this: Can I somehow hook these phones up to my mac? Do I need to buy an amp to make this happen? What sort of amp if so?

 

My uncle is a very greasy man, I don't want to get ripped outta $30 and have to try and get it out of him later.

 

Thanks!


Those are electrostatics. If they are in good shape and work then $30 is a good price for the 'phones and transformer box. They require high voltages to run so you need either a very expensive dedicated electrostatic amplifier or a much less expensive speaker amp hooked to the transformer box.

Computer > speaker amp > transformer box > headphones
post #3400 of 29490

I need some headphones for when I am reclining in my chair with my laptop.  No amp.  Not very bulky..

 

I am thinking something LIKE the B&W P5 but not sure.. dont necessarily want to spend that much.  I tried them at the store and they are light and comfortable.. definitely the size/feel that interests me for this particular use. 

 

They would basically be for when I have someone else in the room and don't want to jam my ears w/ my custom IEMs (cant hear anything)

post #3401 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpistrich View Post

Hello,

 

I am looking for new headphones because my Sennheiser HD 555 broke. I used them without an amplifier with my onboard sound card of my PC or connected to my Yamaha P155 piano.
I already read a lot of reviews, but I just can't decide. My current candidates are:
 

  • Sennheiser HD 600
  • Sennheiser HD 650
  • AKG K701

 

Do I miss other alternatives in the list?

I listen to a broad spectrum of music, but mainly to classic, rock, ragtime. I want universal headphones which don't distort the music. They should also do well when I use them while I play the piano.

I also need a DAC and a headphone amplifier. I need a good solution to get rid of the onboard sound card. Here I am very unsure, I stumbled across the E7/E9 combo from FiiO, they seem quite good for the price. Are there any better alternatives for this price?
My budget is 550€. Currently I am tending to the Sennheiser HD 650, but the more reviews I read, the more unsure I get about the headphone. Does anybody have personal experience with a 650/600/701 in combination with the E7/E9?

 

Thanks in advance

How strong is the headphone jack on your piano? If it's not very, then you might have trouble driving the 600/650/701. I guess it's possible to hook up an amp ie: piano --> amp --> headphone, but that seems inconvenient. I think you would be better served with a headphone that's easier to drive like the 558/595/598.
 

The e7/e9 packs a lot into it's price range. If you go with an easier to drive headphone though, you may not need all that. A smaller form factor might be more convenient for you.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassem View Post

I need some headphones for when I am reclining in my chair with my laptop.  No amp.  Not very bulky..

 

I am thinking something LIKE the B&W P5 but not sure.. dont necessarily want to spend that much.  I tried them at the store and they are light and comfortable.. definitely the size/feel that interests me for this particular use. 

 

They would basically be for when I have someone else in the room and don't want to jam my ears w/ my custom IEMs (cant hear anything)



Senheiser HD228 are a fraction of the the price, of similar shape and earpad, super comfortable, nice sound (bassier than the P5), though don't isolate nearly as well.

post #3402 of 29490

 

Quote:
Computer > speaker amp > transformer box > headphones

 

No way to cut the amp out of the equation?

post #3403 of 29490
I'm looking to stray from the Grado sound for a new portable (iBuds, half busted IEMs, or nothing are my current options frown.gif) I love the Grados, but I'm looking to try something different (not so different that I go from weak bass to monsters though)

Any recommendations that are relatively cheap (and that's basing my SR125i as the upper limit of the range right now) set of phones.

Not looking for IEMs (Mee M6 was the last attempt and I couldn't get a good fit with anything)
Earbuds are worse yet in terms of fit and stability for me
So I'm looking for anything over the ear, a headband of some sort (no KSC75s or other clip-ons), durability, and preferably something small, collapsable, or easily put in a case.

Any recommendations based on that?
TIA guys.
post #3404 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainDeleted View Post

 

 

No way to cut the amp out of the equation?


Not really. That's like trying to take the pistons out of your car and expecting it to still work. You can do it, but you have to replace the whole engine with something else entirely.
post #3405 of 29490

Hello head-fiers! I am in the market for a new pair of headphones and crave your sage advice. 

 

I've been using a pair of ATH-A900s for the past several years that I've loved, but they've been falling apart for about a year or so and have finally gotten to the point where sound quality is beginning to degrade (my hair also keeps on getting pulled out by all the tape). Before that I had a pair of Sennheiser somethingorothers (this was several years ago and I've completely forgotten what they were) where part of it just snapped in half. Although I try to be gentle with all my electronics, clearly I'm doing something wrong where headphones are concerned, so I'm shooting for durability with my next pair. I also expect I'll be travelling around a little more so this is that much more important. 

 

On to the bullet points then:

 

-My budget is around ~$150, although I can probably go as high as $200

-Circumaural is preferred

-Durable, durable, durable!

-I do not have an amp, nor do I plan on getting one. My main computer will be changing to laptop fairly soon though, so if that ends up being completely underpowered I may consider purchasing one. I'll be crossing that bridge when I come to it though.

-Will be mainly used for home listening, not out and about. 

-My music tastes are extensive (whose aren't?) and there's no one genre in particular I listen to more than any others, so I'm looking for something well rounded sound-wise.

 

Having browsed around for a little bit, I'm currently thinking of maybe:

 

-Sony MDR-V6s: they seem super, super durable and the price is very, very attractive.

 

-Sennheiser HD-25-1 IIs: definitely a little pricey and supra-aural at that, but still attractive.

 

-AT ATH-M50s: Seem to fit the bill, but as I'm currently being burned by another pair of AT phones falling apart on me I'm wary.

 

 

If I had to say, I'd say I'm leaning more towards the Sony or Sennheiser pair, but any advice/further recommendations would be most welcome! 

 

Happy listening.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum