or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 219  

post #3271 of 29490
Hi guys. Long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks for helping!

Music genres: My playlist is a little eclectic: 30% classical (instrumental), 40% pop, 10% rock, and 20% miscellaneous (I've got folk, country, opera, trance...etc.)

Portable: Yes. If I can't find one that'll fit all criteria, I'm open to getting one for hauling around campus and one for home. I listen from Sansa Clip when I'm out and just from the computer at home.

Price range: <$100

Amped: Nope.

Closed/Open: Either.

Headphone preference: I would like to avoid IEMs. I used the Koss-ksc75 for errand running (because I can sling it about without worrying too much about it) and I liked it well enough, but the treble gets a little too bright for me sometimes (plus the clips kept unsnapping). I kind of lean towards the darker, richer (is that how you describe it?) type more.

(And just as an aside, I like doing things to my headphones, so if anyone can point me in the direction of portable headphones that I can mess around with, it would be a plus and much appreciated.) tongue.gif

Once again, thanks for your help!
post #3272 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay2070 View Post

Thanks for the advice! what ever you guys say really makes sense. There are 2 problems though.

 

 

1)I dont stay in US and I dont have frequent access to buying these. If I cant buy the amp now, then I have to wait for almost another year to get them(when one of my relative is coming to my place). If I have to buy, then I need to book them in the next 3 days, or else its next year only. :(

 

2)I am new to this and I have absolutely no Idea how headphones sound with / w/o amps, I am buying these blindly based on suggestions and reviews. I even have absolutely no idea how a 32 Ohms sound compared to a 50Ohms ones when connected to a mp3 player. I have a Creative audigy card and creative 5300 speakers at home, and this is the max sound quality I have listened to till date  :D

 

So what ever you guys say, Iam blindly doing it. ;)

 

I read some where that a person enjoyed his 595 on a Zune better than an amp. Now that was zune and not sansa, not sure how loud is sansa's o/p. 

 

So what do you guys finally suggest?

 

Also is there any other cable / connectors I need to buy along with sansa?

 

Thanks,

Vinay

 

UPDATE: I went thru the UDAC 2 link you gave and read a few posts randomly and most seems to like theirs!

 

 

 


I still say just save your money and be happy with the headphones. It's easy to get caught up into the hype of products here, but really the differences aren't that big unless you really know what to listen for and are familiar with the equipment. The headphones you're driving are perfectly capable of being driven from a Sansa (be sure to check the system/volume settings if you want higher gain). It's not until you hit some of the heavier cans that they "need" dedicated amps.

 

For your home system, your Creative card should be easily powerful enough.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo316 View Post

Hello everyone, Details for the headphones am looking for...any input is appreciated.

 

Music genres: Little of everything, rock, progressive house, trance, hip hop.

 

Portable: Majority hHome use.

 

Price range: < $100

 

Amped: Nope will be using it with my laptop

 

Closed/Open: Closed with the cans covering my ears and the speaker grill not touching the ear.

 

Headphone preference: Looking for something that is very comfortable with good quality sound with focus on clean/clear bass (not muddy) and a balanced range.

 

Tried the Philips - O'Neill and liked them looking for something similar/better.

 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Philips+-+O%27Neill+Stretch+Over-the-Ear+Headphones+-+Black/1200572.p?id=1218232260182&skuId=1200572

 

Thanks!

 

Shure 440

Sony V6 or 7506
 

The Shure is a bit on the darker side, but more comfortable (and even moreso if you switch to 840 pads). The V6 is a workhorse favourite, sounding more on the brighter side, and more durable.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzone323 View Post

Looking for new headphones for my PC, and I can't go over 100 bucks. What's the best I can do for around that price range??

Can you be more specific? What kind of music do you like? Do you need it to be portable? Open or close? on ear or over ear?
 

The two headphones I mentioned for the previous poster are quite good.

post #3273 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNi View Post

Hi guys. Long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks for helping!

Music genres: My playlist is a little eclectic: 30% classical (instrumental), 40% pop, 10% rock, and 20% miscellaneous (I've got folk, country, opera, trance...etc.)

Portable: Yes. If I can't find one that'll fit all criteria, I'm open to getting one for hauling around campus and one for home. I listen from Sansa Clip when I'm out and just from the computer at home.

Price range: <$100

Amped: Nope.

Closed/Open: Either.

Headphone preference: I would like to avoid IEMs. I used the Koss-ksc75 for errand running (because I can sling it about without worrying too much about it) and I liked it well enough, but the treble gets a little too bright for me sometimes (plus the clips kept unsnapping). I kind of lean towards the darker, richer (is that how you describe it?) type more.

(And just as an aside, I like doing things to my headphones, so if anyone can point me in the direction of portable headphones that I can mess around with, it would be a plus and much appreciated.) tongue.gif

Once again, thanks for your help!


 

How about the Senn PX100 (or the newer PX100-ii which is beefier but more expensive). In the budget range, they're almost like opposite siblings with the Koss being the brighter and the Senn being the darker. Also, I did this to mine...

post #3274 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

How about the Senn PX100 (or the newer PX100-ii which is beefier but more expensive). In the budget range, they're almost like opposite siblings with the Koss being the brighter and the Senn being the darker. Also, I did this to mine...
Thanks! I'll check it out.

And red's a nice color for it. wink.gif
post #3275 of 29490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post


I still say just save your money and be happy with the headphones. It's easy to get caught up into the hype of products here, but really the differences aren't that big unless you really know what to listen for and are familiar with the equipment. The headphones you're driving are perfectly capable of being driven from a Sansa (be sure to check the system/volume settings if you want higher gain). It's not until you hit some of the heavier cans that they "need" dedicated amps.

 

For your home system, your Creative card should be easily powerful enough.

 


The o/p of creative audigy (version 1 digital entertainment with EMU10K on Daniel K drivers) card is not that high. I have connected some aiwa head phones and did not feel it was loud enough. and on the other hand there is only the on board drivers in office. I probably may end up using these hd595 in office. thats why was thinking of a DAC.

 

If DAC is not required, then good, I would spend that money else where :) Probable some inear phones.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyoung8 View Post

wth?  Do you live in the Antarctic or in an Amazon Jungle?  Where do you live?  You've got to be able to get something in your country.


I live in India. the same HD 595 which i got for 120 $ from amazon costs 250$ here.  And it would be hard/literally impossible to find an E7 or uDAC locally. Shipping from US to India would cost 20+ $ for a small package. So I prefer getting them from US when some one is visiting my place. And there would be no way to put on some cans and test at the local stores. Here a 250$ cans is a luxary only a few can afford. so the shopkeepers wont open them for demos.

 

Shipping to amazon jungle or antartica would be easier as Indian Customs are pathetic. ;)


Edited by vinay2070 - 4/20/11 at 1:38am
post #3276 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay2070 View Post

I live in India. the same HD 595 which i got for 120 $ from amazon costs 250$ here.  And it would be hard/literally impossible to find an E7 or uDAC locally. Shipping from US to India would cost 20+ $ for a small package. So I prefer getting them from US when some one is visiting my place. And there would be no way to put on some cans and test at the local stores. Here a 250$ cans is a luxary only a few can afford. so the shopkeepers wont open them for demos.

 

Shipping to amazon jungle or antartica would be easier as Indian Customs are pathetic. ;)


Not even if you wave rupees in the shopkeepers face?  lol

 

A quick search on the internet bring you Fiio 7 to India for 4000 rupees.  http://www.lynx-india.com/index.php?ukey=product&productID=12945  Pretty good shop I think.  Got some good gear there.

post #3277 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyoung8 View Post




Not even if you wave rupees in the shopkeepers face?  lol

 

A quick search on the internet bring you Fiio 7 to India for 4000 rupees.  http://www.lynx-india.com/index.php?ukey=product&productID=12945  Pretty good shop I think.  Got some good gear there.


Yup I saw that but no UDAC There i guess. but my point is I wont know the difference in quality between amped and non amped version unless I hear it, Or some one who has already heard tell me there is a great difference. thats why Iam here :D. to hear the opinions of those who used them ;)

 

Nope the shop keepers wont open them unless i buy them :)

 

post #3278 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay2070 View Post

Yup I saw that but no UDAC There i guess. but my point is I wont know the difference in quality between amped and non amped version unless I hear it, Or some one who has already heard tell me there is a great difference. thats why Iam here :D. to hear the opinions of those who used them ;)

 

Nope the shop keepers wont open them unless i buy them :)

 


You don't need to know the difference.  If it sounds good to you unamped then you won't need an amp and don't have to spend any more money.  If it sounds gash, then buy that Fiio e7 online.  Sorted.

 

post #3279 of 29490

Hi all,

 

I am planning to get a wireless headset that is portable (collapsible) and at the same time has a good sound quality (Yea I know, wireless has a crappy SQ). I've had enough with wires getting tangled and tied up together when using my IEMs and wired headphones, so I'm jumping to wireless now. Here are my prefs aside from mentioned above:

 

  1. Will be mostly used on my iPhone 4, so I will be using it when riding a bus/train, commuting.
  2. With Control Talk capability for picking up calls as well.
  3. On / over ear
  4. Good isolation
  5. Closed back
  6. Headband type headphone
  7. Music: Almost all genre but will be mostly listening to: Metal / Rap / Blues
  8. Good build quality / sturdy
  9. Comfortable. I travel so it will be for long use.
  10. Good/Descent look

 

Most of wireless headset got either Bluetooth or Kleer technology. I've read about the Sennheisers (MM50, 450, PX 210BT, PX 310BT) and AKG (K840KL) headsets... and any other ideas? If so, which do you think fits for me?


Edited by decyph3r - 4/20/11 at 8:53am
post #3280 of 29490

You don't have too many options in that area... a few that come to mind:

Sennheiser MM400 or similar

Sennheiser PX210BT or similar

post #3281 of 29490

What's a good AMP/DAC to use with the 558? Recently picked em up for $120 shipped after hearing that they have the soundstage and forward oomph I was looking for in an open headphone.

post #3282 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudos View Post

Shure 440 Sony V6 or 7506 The Shure is a bit on the darker side, but more comfortable (and even moreso if you switch to 840 pads). The V6 is a workhorse favourite, sounding more on the brighter side, and more durable.



I checked out the 7506 at bestbuy much much more comfier than the oneils but unfortunately I couldn't connect my mp3 player to listen to it, had to do with a couple of their stock songs.

 

I am totally sold on the 2 sonys but have 2 questions which I am sure you can help me out with.

 

1. Major differences between the 2? price-wise they are quite similar (at least on amazon) I read that the v6 is good for casual listening and the 7506 for 'serious'

 

2. I will be using it with the lossy mp3s on my phone and laptop, I know I won't be doing justice to the headphones but are they going to sound WORSE than my $20 IEM earphones? the 7506 say studio on em :p

 

I have a feeling a 'cheaper' headphone will suit me better because of my music source besides always happy to save a few $$ ;)

 

Thanks again!

post #3283 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

You don't have too many options in that area... a few that come to mind:

Sennheiser MM400 or similar

Sennheiser PX210BT or similar


How about the AKGs? Looks like they're comfy.
post #3284 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyoung8 View Post




You don't need to know the difference.  If it sounds good to you unamped then you won't need an amp and don't have to spend any more money.  If it sounds gash, then buy that Fiio e7 online.  Sorted.

 

Done! Ordered the 8gb clip+. Cant wait to listen to the Quality ;) Thanks for the help.
 

 

post #3285 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudos View Post

What's a good AMP/DAC to use with the 558? Recently picked em up for $120 shipped after hearing that they have the soundstage and forward oomph I was looking for in an open headphone.


What kind of inputs do you want? portable or not? For lack of any details, I'll just recommend one of the current FOTM: Leckerton UHA-4.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by neo316 View Post


I checked out the 7506 at bestbuy much much more comfier than the oneils but unfortunately I couldn't connect my mp3 player to listen to it, had to do with a couple of their stock songs.

 

I am totally sold on the 2 sonys but have 2 questions which I am sure you can help me out with.

 

1. Major differences between the 2? price-wise they are quite similar (at least on amazon) I read that the v6 is good for casual listening and the 7506 for 'serious'

 

2. I will be using it with the lossy mp3s on my phone and laptop, I know I won't be doing justice to the headphones but are they going to sound WORSE than my $20 IEM earphones? the 7506 say studio on em :p

 

I have a feeling a 'cheaper' headphone will suit me better because of my music source besides always happy to save a few $$ ;)

 

Thanks again!


It's a point of contention whether there's an actual difference between the two. I've owned both (though not simultaneously) and they sounded very similar if not identical to me.

 

Your music should sound just fine unless your music is ripped from low quality youtube videos or something.

 

The V6/7506 is a great bang-for-the-buck headphone and their durability will ensure they will last a long time. I say it's a better investment now rather than replacing some cheapies over and over.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by decyph3r View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

You don't have too many options in that area... a few that come to mind:

Sennheiser MM400 or similar

Sennheiser PX210BT or similar


How about the AKGs? Looks like they're comfy.


I've never even seen an AKG wireless, so I can't help you there.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum