Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... - Page 1964  

post #29446 of 29491

What's your budget?

    ~USD$200, but can stretch it to ~$300 if need be...

 

Where/how do you plan on using these cans?

    Around home, pre football games...

 

What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?

  • Open. But also with a touch of sound isolating...

 

What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?

  •  Electro/ RnB/ Hiphop/ Dance/ Rap.

 

What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?

    Samsung Galaxy S2 and a HP Envy x2 mainly.

 

Do you know what kind of signature you're trying to find?

    Aiming for a good solid bass that doesn't overpower other elements of the track.

 

Any additional comments?

  • Don't think I want an amp at the moment. So I want some headphones that are fairly easy to drive considering the iPhone puts out less than one ohm...
  • Also want some good looking cans... Really like the styling of the V-Moda M100's if someone could justify these would suit my needs and would be the best buy in my situation.

 

Thanks in advance for all the help and thoughts,

s0up2up

post #29447 of 29491

Hello, this is my 2nd time posting in this thread to follow up my post a week ago after more research.

 

Price: Around 100$. Can go over a little bit if needed.

 

Closed headphones. Going to be using them mainly on my computer and occasionally on my phone. I won't be buying amps.

 

I would be using them mainly at home/dorm doing work.

I need them to isolate sound from the outside and not leak either to not disturb others.

I would also like to use these with my electric guitar. However, it's not that important as I only play for fun.

 

I listen to all types of music. Metal, rock, folk, alternative, pop, rnb, hip hop, electronica. Not really sure if this calls for a balanced sound. I owned a pair of HD280 Pro for years and I used them with my computer with the equalizer set on bass. I loved the sound and I'm only replacing them because they broke.

 

Of course I want them to be comfortable. I know this matter depends on the person, so I'll just compare my experience on my old headphones. As I mentioned I owned the HD280 Pro and after a while I found them to be very comfortable. I've read reviews about them recently and many complained about the comfort. Something about clamping hard. Maybe I just got used to them. Hopefully that says something about what I think "comfortable" is.

 

I'm not an audiophile, and I want this to be the last headphones I want to buy. I want it to last long. Good build quality is A MUST.

 

That's pretty much it. I got recommended the MDR-V6 and CAL.

MDR-V6: I've read reviews comparing this to HD280 Pro and it was said that the 280 Pros sounded better musically. The V6 sounded more "aggressive." What does that mean?

CAL: I heard the build quality isn't that good. Something about the wires feeling cheap. I'm not also a fan of how it looks.

 

After some research I've come across these headphones:

ATH M50 - I see these headphones as the most recommended. However, the reviews seems to be mixed, especially on the comfort side. I heard these are very good all-rounder headphones. My problem with these is that reviews said they don't isolate as well and there is some leakage. I even saw a youtube demo for it and I didn't like ti that much. Comments on that? They cost 160$ at Amazon atm, and I'm waiting for a sale near 100$. My question is am I overlooking another good alternative?

Shure SRH440 - I came across these because of the SRH840s. I heard the SRH 840s are really good, however they are way above my price range. How good are the 440s compared to the 840s?

KNS8400 - I saw the reviews and they said these are the most comfortable headphones ever. I'm not really sure if it meets all my other requirements however. An comments on that? The other downside is that I could only probably get these used (70$ on Amazon atm), which I'm nervous about.

Ultrasone HFI-580 - I came across these looking for ATH M50 alternatives. It's mentioned that these are basshead cans. I'm not really sure if I'll like that (refer to my description of the sound I liked above). How are these in terms of my other requirements. Again another downside is that the price is way above my budget. I saw that they were on sale for 118$ a month ago. Are they worth the wait?

 

I really want to enjoy my summer to the fullest, and so I want to make my purchase before the end of this month. I don't want to wait on a sale too long.

I'm sorry for the long post, I just want to give details as many as possible.


Edited by Kirasagi - 6/4/13 at 2:53am
post #29448 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0up2up View Post

What's your budget?



    ~USD$200, but can stretch it to ~$300 if need be...



 



Where/how do you plan on using these cans?



    Around home, pre football games...



 



What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?



[*] Open. But also with a touch of sound isolating...

 



What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?



[*]  Electro/ RnB/ Hiphop/ Dance/ Rap.

 



What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?



    Samsung Galaxy S2 and a HP Envy x2 mainly.



 



Do you know what kind of signature you're trying to find?



    Aiming for a good solid bass that doesn't overpower other elements of the track.



 



Any additional comments?



[*] Don't think I want an amp at the moment. So I want some headphones that are fairly easy to drive considering the iPhone puts out less than one ohm...
[*] Also want some good looking cans... Really like the styling of the V-Moda M100's if someone could justify these would suit my needs and would be the best buy in my situation.

 



Thanks in advance for all the help and thoughts,



s0up2up



First, open and isolation really don't go together. Better to go with closed if any kind of isolation is important to you.

And I do agree that the M-100 could be a good choice the kind of music you listen to. Might also look into the Sony MDR-1R.
post #29449 of 29491

I am in an unusual predicament. I currently have Ultrasone HFI-580s paired with the PA2V2 Amp from Gary. Anyway, I think the setup is good, but for my Trance Music I find that it's lacking in both female vocals and impactful bass/sub-bass.

 

First off, let me say that the VAST MAJORITY of my music is ripped from Youtube or Internet Radio stations from live DJ sets from music festivals (Electric Daisy Carnival, Ultra Music Festival, ect)

 

As a result, the quality is a hit or miss, either very low MP3 or on the high end of MP3's at 256. I sometimes dabble in ultra high quality tracks when I buy them from Itunes, but I still feel that the HFI-580s arent suiting my needs.

 

My budget is $300 and under, and these will not be leaving my house.

 

FWIW, I listened to the V-Moda M-100s and really found their bass to be perfect, but the mids were lacking. Does anyone know of a good headphone with that much bass and forward mids?


Edited by Illbetheone - 6/4/13 at 8:14am
post #29450 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illbetheone View Post

I am in an unusual predicament. I currently have Ultrasone HFI-580s paired with the PA2V2 Amp from Gary. Anyway, I think the setup is good, but for my Trance Music I find that it's lacking in both female vocals and impactful bass/sub-bass.

 

First off, let me say that the VAST MAJORITY of my music is ripped from Youtube or Internet Radio stations from live DJ sets from music festivals (Electric Daisy Carnival, Ultra Music Festival, ect)

 

As a result, the quality is a hit or miss, either very low MP3 or on the high end of MP3's at 256. I sometimes dabble in ultra high quality tracks when I buy them from Itunes, but I still feel that the HFI-580s arent suiting my needs.

 

My budget is $300 and under, and these will not be leaving my house.

 

FWIW, I listened to the V-Moda M-100s and really found their bass to be perfect, but the mids were lacking. Does anyone know of a good headphone with that much bass and forward mids?

I haven't listened to the M-100's but the mids on the M-Audio Q40's are very much present. And they have a lot of bass.

post #29451 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0up2up View Post

What's your budget?

    ~USD$200, but can stretch it to ~$300 if need be...

 

Where/how do you plan on using these cans?

    Around home, pre football games...

 

What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?

  • Open. But also with a touch of sound isolating...

 

What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?

  •  Electro/ RnB/ Hiphop/ Dance/ Rap.

 

What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?

    Samsung Galaxy S2 and a HP Envy x2 mainly.

 

Do you know what kind of signature you're trying to find?

    Aiming for a good solid bass that doesn't overpower other elements of the track.

 

Any additional comments?

  • Don't think I want an amp at the moment. So I want some headphones that are fairly easy to drive considering the iPhone puts out less than one ohm...
  • Also want some good looking cans... Really like the styling of the V-Moda M100's if someone could justify these would suit my needs and would be the best buy in my situation.

 

Thanks in advance for all the help and thoughts,

s0up2up

 

The M100 is actually a perfect choice for what you're looking for. I would definitely suggest you check those out first.

post #29452 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirasagi View Post

Hello, this is my 2nd time posting in this thread to follow up my post a week ago after more research.

 

Price: Around 100$. Can go over a little bit if needed.

 

Closed headphones. Going to be using them mainly on my computer and occasionally on my phone. I won't be buying amps.

 

I would be using them mainly at home/dorm doing work.

I need them to isolate sound from the outside and not leak either to not disturb others.

I would also like to use these with my electric guitar. However, it's not that important as I only play for fun.

 

I listen to all types of music. Metal, rock, folk, alternative, pop, rnb, hip hop, electronica. Not really sure if this calls for a balanced sound. I owned a pair of HD280 Pro for years and I used them with my computer with the equalizer set on bass. I loved the sound and I'm only replacing them because they broke.

 

Of course I want them to be comfortable. I know this matter depends on the person, so I'll just compare my experience on my old headphones. As I mentioned I owned the HD280 Pro and after a while I found them to be very comfortable. I've read reviews about them recently and many complained about the comfort. Something about clamping hard. Maybe I just got used to them. Hopefully that says something about what I think "comfortable" is.

 

I'm not an audiophile, and I want this to be the last headphones I want to buy. I want it to last long. Good build quality is A MUST.

 

That's pretty much it. I got recommended the MDR-V6 and CAL.

MDR-V6: I've read reviews comparing this to HD280 Pro and it was said that the 280 Pros sounded better musically. The V6 sounded more "aggressive." What does that mean?

CAL: I heard the build quality isn't that good. Something about the wires feeling cheap. I'm not also a fan of how it looks.

 

After some research I've come across these headphones:

ATH M50 - I see these headphones as the most recommended. However, the reviews seems to be mixed, especially on the comfort side. I heard these are very good all-rounder headphones. My problem with these is that reviews said they don't isolate as well and there is some leakage. I even saw a youtube demo for it and I didn't like ti that much. Comments on that? They cost 160$ at Amazon atm, and I'm waiting for a sale near 100$. My question is am I overlooking another good alternative?

Shure SRH440 - I came across these because of the SRH840s. I heard the SRH 840s are really good, however they are way above my price range. How good are the 440s compared to the 840s?

KNS8400 - I saw the reviews and they said these are the most comfortable headphones ever. I'm not really sure if it meets all my other requirements however. An comments on that? The other downside is that I could only probably get these used (70$ on Amazon atm), which I'm nervous about.

Ultrasone HFI-580 - I came across these looking for ATH M50 alternatives. It's mentioned that these are basshead cans. I'm not really sure if I'll like that (refer to my description of the sound I liked above). How are these in terms of my other requirements. Again another downside is that the price is way above my budget. I saw that they were on sale for 118$ a month ago. Are they worth the wait?

 

I really want to enjoy my summer to the fullest, and so I want to make my purchase before the end of this month. I don't want to wait on a sale too long.

I'm sorry for the long post, I just want to give details as many as possible.

 

I'm still recommending the CAL! and V6 or 7506. Whoever said the V6 doesn't sound as good as the HD 280 is just wrong. My flatulence sounds better than the HD 280. As for the quality of CAL! goes, it's what you'd expect from a sub-$100 can. It's not the greatest thing in the world, but it's so far from bad. These are great choices in the sub-$100 realm. If you want better, let's raise your budget and we'll see what we can do.

post #29453 of 29491
What's your budget?
Up to £150 GBP
 
Where/how do you plan on using these cans?
Exclusively at home on my computer
 
What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?
Closed if possible (Don't want to disturb sleeping people!)
 
What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?
Dubstep, dance, trance, techno, rap, R&B, pop, rock, k-pop. All 320kbps MP3.
 
What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?
PC with Asus Xonar DG sound card
 
Do you know what kind of signature you're trying to find?
Good bass but not to the point that it overpowers everything else. I'd like a good all-round headphone for the genres listed.
 
Any additional comments?
I've tried M-Audio Q40s and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80s. Q40s hurt my jaw after a while and the Beyer's midrange sounded too distant / hollow. Comfort is a big thing for me especially given that I have big ears, big head and I wear glasses.
post #29454 of 29491

Hi, I tried posting this on an old RS160, 170 and 180 thread but got no reply, hopefully this is an appropriate alternate thread.

 

RS170 vs the RS180. I would prefer the sound quality of the open-backed RS180, and have no worry about sound leaking out, but am worried about sound leaking in. I work in a room that also serves as a living room. If someone is watching the tv at a medium volume (TV is about 2m away and facing away from my direction) am I going to be able to hear it through the 180s while I have music playing at medium volume? If so, how badly?

 

How much is muted out by the open-backed headphones themselves? If they aren't playing music, can I hear the outside world as if I wasn't wearing them? Or do they provide some level of protection?

 

Just trying to judge if I can get by with the 180s in the odd times someone else wants to use the same room.

Wanted to try both for myself, but Richer Sounds only do the 170s as a special order.

 

Cheers

post #29455 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirasagi View Post

Hello, this is my 2nd time posting in this thread to follow up my post a week ago after more research.

 

Price: Around 100$. Can go over a little bit if needed.

 

Closed headphones. Going to be using them mainly on my computer and occasionally on my phone. I won't be buying amps.

 

I would be using them mainly at home/dorm doing work.

I need them to isolate sound from the outside and not leak either to not disturb others.

I would also like to use these with my electric guitar. However, it's not that important as I only play for fun.

 

I listen to all types of music. Metal, rock, folk, alternative, pop, rnb, hip hop, electronica. Not really sure if this calls for a balanced sound. I owned a pair of HD280 Pro for years and I used them with my computer with the equalizer set on bass. I loved the sound and I'm only replacing them because they broke.

 

Of course I want them to be comfortable. I know this matter depends on the person, so I'll just compare my experience on my old headphones. As I mentioned I owned the HD280 Pro and after a while I found them to be very comfortable. I've read reviews about them recently and many complained about the comfort. Something about clamping hard. Maybe I just got used to them. Hopefully that says something about what I think "comfortable" is.

 

I'm not an audiophile, and I want this to be the last headphones I want to buy. I want it to last long. Good build quality is A MUST.

 

That's pretty much it. I got recommended the MDR-V6 and CAL.

MDR-V6: I've read reviews comparing this to HD280 Pro and it was said that the 280 Pros sounded better musically. The V6 sounded more "aggressive." What does that mean?

CAL: I heard the build quality isn't that good. Something about the wires feeling cheap. I'm not also a fan of how it looks.

 

After some research I've come across these headphones:

ATH M50 - I see these headphones as the most recommended. However, the reviews seems to be mixed, especially on the comfort side. I heard these are very good all-rounder headphones. My problem with these is that reviews said they don't isolate as well and there is some leakage. I even saw a youtube demo for it and I didn't like ti that much. Comments on that? They cost 160$ at Amazon atm, and I'm waiting for a sale near 100$. My question is am I overlooking another good alternative?

Shure SRH440 - I came across these because of the SRH840s. I heard the SRH 840s are really good, however they are way above my price range. How good are the 440s compared to the 840s?

KNS8400 - I saw the reviews and they said these are the most comfortable headphones ever. I'm not really sure if it meets all my other requirements however. An comments on that? The other downside is that I could only probably get these used (70$ on Amazon atm), which I'm nervous about.

Ultrasone HFI-580 - I came across these looking for ATH M50 alternatives. It's mentioned that these are basshead cans. I'm not really sure if I'll like that (refer to my description of the sound I liked above). How are these in terms of my other requirements. Again another downside is that the price is way above my budget. I saw that they were on sale for 118$ a month ago. Are they worth the wait?

 

I really want to enjoy my summer to the fullest, and so I want to make my purchase before the end of this month. I don't want to wait on a sale too long.

I'm sorry for the long post, I just want to give details as many as possible.


The headphones on your list are a bit of a mixed bag. 

 

The 580 is a basshead can. 

 

The M50, while not quite in basshead lite territory, has a "V" shaped sound signature with recessed mids (think vocals and guitars). 

 

The 440 is a decent entry level studio can, but not particularly comfortable without replacing its ear cushions with those from the 840.  Plus the Sony MDR 7506 is better at the same or less money.

 

The 8400 is the best can on your list, but it has neutral bass at best.  So you may not like it.

post #29456 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33AndAThird View Post

Hi, I tried posting this on an old RS160, 170 and 180 thread but got no reply, hopefully this is an appropriate alternate thread.

 

RS170 vs the RS180. I would prefer the sound quality of the open-backed RS180, and have no worry about sound leaking out, but am worried about sound leaking in. I work in a room that also serves as a living room. If someone is watching the tv at a medium volume (TV is about 2m away and facing away from my direction) am I going to be able to hear it through the 180s while I have music playing at medium volume? If so, how badly?

 

How much is muted out by the open-backed headphones themselves? If they aren't playing music, can I hear the outside world as if I wasn't wearing them? Or do they provide some level of protection?

 

Just trying to judge if I can get by with the 180s in the odd times someone else wants to use the same room.

Wanted to try both for myself, but Richer Sounds only do the 170s as a special order.

 

Cheers


Wireless cans don't get much love here.  Tyll lists both on his Wall of Fame in the wireless class:

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-wireless

post #29457 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33AndAThird View Post

Hi, I tried posting this on an old RS160, 170 and 180 thread but got no reply, hopefully this is an appropriate alternate thread.

 

RS170 vs the RS180. I would prefer the sound quality of the open-backed RS180, and have no worry about sound leaking out, but am worried about sound leaking in. I work in a room that also serves as a living room. If someone is watching the tv at a medium volume (TV is about 2m away and facing away from my direction) am I going to be able to hear it through the 180s while I have music playing at medium volume? If so, how badly?

 

How much is muted out by the open-backed headphones themselves? If they aren't playing music, can I hear the outside world as if I wasn't wearing them? Or do they provide some level of protection?

 

Just trying to judge if I can get by with the 180s in the odd times someone else wants to use the same room.

Wanted to try both for myself, but Richer Sounds only do the 170s as a special order.

 

Cheers

 

Sound will leak in and out of an open can and the RS180 is no different. The advantage of them is only clear in a fairly quite room and at 2m away, you're very likely going to hear that TV.

post #29458 of 29491

Hello again. I was looking into the Denon D2000 headphones. I think they would be perfect for me. But I understand they are not made anymore and are too expensive used (over $300). What is the closest headphone to the d2000? in terms of sound and that bass of course.

post #29459 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

 

I'm still recommending the CAL! and V6 or 7506. Whoever said the V6 doesn't sound as good as the HD 280 is just wrong. My flatulence sounds better than the HD 280. As for the quality of CAL! goes, it's what you'd expect from a sub-$100 can. It's not the greatest thing in the world, but it's so far from bad. These are great choices in the sub-$100 realm. If you want better, let's raise your budget and we'll see what we can do.

I saw this gift guide thread of Head-Fi and it was said that there are better options other than V6 for its price range. I would honestly go for the CAL but I don't like its design on first look (specifically the wire on each driver). I would have to see it in person.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


The headphones on your list are a bit of a mixed bag. 

 

The 580 is a basshead can. 

 

The M50, while not quite in basshead lite territory, has a "V" shaped sound signature with recessed mids (think vocals and guitars). 

 

The 440 is a decent entry level studio can, but not particularly comfortable without replacing its ear cushions with those from the 840.  Plus the Sony MDR 7506 is better at the same or less money.

 

The 8400 is the best can on your list, but it has neutral bass at best.  So you may not like it.

I did this because I am not sure what I like. Well I did say what I liked. I like the sound of the 280 Pros but with extra bass set on the equalizer.

post #29460 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEarsMan View Post

Hello again. I was looking into the Denon D2000 headphones. I think they would be perfect for me. But I understand they are not made anymore and are too expensive used (over $300). What is the closest headphone to the d2000? in terms of sound and that bass of course.


The D 2000 was unique and very good at what it did.  I don't think there is anything close to them and certainly not within your budget.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum