Best closed all-rounder headphone for under 1000$?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG High Performance Closed-Back DJ Headphones - K181DJtagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAlessandro MS1itagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9Atagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 11/1/12
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by PETACRON, 5/8/13
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11More
- productGrado SR-325i Prestige Series Headphonestagged by System, 12/19/10
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productMonster Beats By Dre Solotagged by System, 2/1/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 12/19/10
- productPanasonic RP-HTX7-K1 Monitor Headphones (black)tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 12/19/10
- productShure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productUltrasone DJ1 PROtagged by System, 2/1/11
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added) Last post on Today at 11:23 am in Video Games Discussion
- Need help to get headphones - Novice in Head-Fi land.... Last post on 2/19/12 at 1:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Shootout: 113 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Alpha Design Labs ADL H118 added 07/15/14) Last post on 8/21/14 at 9:39pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best headphones for $100 or less? Last post on 11/12/12 at 5:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
Let's keep this short. There are better headphones out there without any cons. The Grado RS1i can get shouty at times or give a bit of weird bass. The comfort isn't great either although I changed...
First of all, I have bought these headphones exactly one week ago. I have upgraded to these from my Superlux 668b. I will do a review now, and update it after another couple of weeks worth...
I am from China and I'd like to say Chinese people are lucky enough to have the opportunity to reach most of device in the area of audio especially some brand only provided in China.So it made me...
The Theorem 720 is magical.. Using it is like stepping into a foreign land where everything is crisp, detailed, and so very vivid that you’ll never want to leave again for the boring, veiled,...
This is my first DAP. I bought it in August with pre-installed 2.1 firmware and I have to say I am positively surprised how great this player sounds. I honestly can not compare it with other DAPs...
++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... - Page 1943
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #29132 of 294915/27/13 at 3:30pmpost #29133 of 294915/27/13 at 4:29pmQuote:Originally Posted by LegendX48
I said nvm but heck, I'm asking again lol. Just how lousy is the bass on the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700? Their current price ($99) on the amazon memorial day sale is all kinds of tempting. And what about the AKG K240 studio headphones for that matter as they're also going for a similar price?
Isn't that the AD700's usual price? I recall them always being around $100.post #29134 of 294915/27/13 at 4:35pmpost #29135 of 294915/27/13 at 5:45pmpost #29136 of 294915/27/13 at 5:52pm
So I've now owned the AD900X and the AD700. I will likely own the AD2000X at some point in the future. The reason? As far as I can tell, the AD has an entirely addictive openness to its top end. Of course the HD line is considered "veiled" by many. I never found it an issue but the top end is nothing like the ADs. Bottom is more defined on the 900X but quantity is near identical. Mids are more forward on the 598, but I would say that sounds to me like a slight hump rather than the 900X being recessed. Think of the 900X as an HDR photo if you know what those are causing the presentation to sound almost exaggerated and surreal at times. The 598 is very natural sounding to me but comes off as "boring" in comparison. Because of it's supernatural quality, soundstage on the 900X can sometimes seem weird... Particular on small acoustical groups... It sometimes sounds as though the various instrumentalists were very far apart from each other. Again, the soundstage of the 598 is natural to the point of subdued. In summary, If the 598 were HDTV, then the 900X is like some super HDTV to the point where it might seem too vibrant and unnatural to some.post #29137 of 294915/27/13 at 5:57pmpost #29138 of 294915/27/13 at 6:01pmQuote:+1 on the HFI-780's, a great choice.Originally Posted by cel4145Quote:
Can't comment on the other two, but I prefer the 780s to the M50s. More engaging soundstage and a little more bass impact to me.
Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2post #29139 of 294915/27/13 at 6:03pmQuote:Originally Posted by aak57
Hey, looking for a pair of headphones to get for my dad since he has just been using cheap junk forever. He listens to stuff like Pink Floyd, Genesis and Moody Blues (basically the alternative rocks of the 70s/80s) and some modern stuff like Muse. I don't honestly know what kind of sound signature to look for since I'm sure he'd have no idea whether he likes mids more than treble or bass or what have you. I don't want to get him something that's overly large/flashy since I don't think he'd like it (something more "discreet" would be better I suppose) and I don't think he'd like completely open headphones either, but again it's hard to say. I plan to get these as a gift so I don't really want to ask him too many questions since he'll probably figure out my idea.
Looking to spend probably under $100 since I don't think he'd want something he knows is expensive (you might be noticing a theme here). I was thinking maybe the MDR-V6s as a kind of safe choice, since even if he doesn't like them he could probably give me an idea of where to go from there and I could keep them for myself.
MDR-V6 or even better, MDR-7506post #29140 of 294915/27/13 at 6:06pmpost #29141 of 294915/27/13 at 7:25pmpost #29142 of 294915/27/13 at 7:54pmQuote:
Good. Have you checked the battle of the flagships reviews? Very good descriptions of many of the top headphones, and it looks like you will have the amplification to drive most of them: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13post #29143 of 294915/27/13 at 8:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by cel4145
Good. Have you checked the battle of the flagships reviews? Very good descriptions of many of the top headphones, and it looks like you will have the amplification to drive most of them: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13
Wow! Thanks for the link! This thread looks awesome. I better get reading.post #29144 of 294915/27/13 at 8:49pm
Hey guys, newbie right here but have lurked around more than a couple of times. I wonder if I could get your recommendations to buy my next set of headphones. Recently, I've broken my ATH-M50s from throwing them around for the last few years. I travel around quite a bit (usually in a 16 passenger van), since I'm in college and I play a sport. I'm looking for something in the <$200 zone and want an upgrade from my M50s. They were good, but my ears yearn for something better. I've looked around and a few of the ones I want to purchase are the Shure SRH 840s, M-Audio Q40s, Ultrasone 780s, and the AKG K550s. I will mostly be using an Ipod touch, so I need something easy to drive.
As for my preferences, I listen to a lot of old school soul and r&b, along with some hip hop and little bit of country, rock, and dubstep. I prefer a smooth sounding pair of cans and really don't care too much for the bass. Sound stage is of some importance but as long as they don't sound crammed up on my ears, I will be fine. I'm also not too keen on really bright or cold sounding cans either.
Thanks for taking out the time to help me out!post #29145 of 294915/27/13 at 9:34pm
I'm a basshead. I love bass. I mainly listen to dubstep, EDM, House, Drum and Bass, etc.
I need a new pair of headphones, I recently broke my only pair which were hesh 2.0 by skullcandy.
I'm considering the HA-M55X Xtreme Xplosive headphones by JVC. Either those, or the Sony MDR-XB500.
Needs to be under 70. Thank you. Please keep in mind I need an extreme bass response.
This thread is locked
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 seconds ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 1 minute ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 1 minute ago
- › Metro Detroit 2014 Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 5 minutes ago
- › Ipod gen 7 Classic 240gb 5 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 6 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 6 minutes ago
- › Need help looking for Themes/Songs like these 8 minutes ago
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)