What kind of DAC/amp setup do you have?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG High Performance Closed-Back DJ Headphones - K181DJtagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAlessandro MS1itagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9Atagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 11/1/12
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by PETACRON, 5/8/13
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11More
- productGrado SR-325i Prestige Series Headphonestagged by System, 12/19/10
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productMonster Beats By Dre Solotagged by System, 2/1/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 12/19/10
- productPanasonic RP-HTX7-K1 Monitor Headphones (black)tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 12/19/10
- productShure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productUltrasone DJ1 PROtagged by System, 2/1/11
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) Last post on Yesterday at 9:56 pm in Video Games Discussion
- Need help to get headphones - Novice in Head-Fi land.... Last post on 2/19/12 at 1:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015) Last post on 6/5/16 at 2:34am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
Ghostek made its name in the phone accessory market. Its been building solid cases for a while now, and they’ve brought everything they’ve learned from making durable phone cases to the table...
INTRO:- Yup, I am back. This time around I have the Meelectronics M7P. This is an interesting piece of earphone. To be precise I had not seen one like this before. This one belongs to MEE...
Intro:- Yo yo… Back again with Rockjaw Audio Alfa genus V2. Rockjaw is not an unknown brand by any means, famous for their value for money earphones and are one of the few British brands in...
My review of Alfa genus V2 can be found here. http://www.head-fi.org/products/rock-jaw-alfa-genus-v2-earphones-with-in-line-mic-3x-tuning-filters/reviews/16322 Sorry for the wrong post.
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONFirstly I want to shout out to Mark (Head-Fier d marc0) for working with Ken Ball from...
++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 1943post #29131 of 294905/27/13 at 3:30pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #29132 of 294905/27/13 at 4:29pmQuote:Originally Posted by LegendX48
I said nvm but heck, I'm asking again lol. Just how lousy is the bass on the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700? Their current price ($99) on the amazon memorial day sale is all kinds of tempting. And what about the AKG K240 studio headphones for that matter as they're also going for a similar price?
Isn't that the AD700's usual price? I recall them always being around $100.post #29133 of 294905/27/13 at 4:35pmpost #29134 of 294905/27/13 at 5:45pmpost #29135 of 294905/27/13 at 5:52pm
So I've now owned the AD900X and the AD700. I will likely own the AD2000X at some point in the future. The reason? As far as I can tell, the AD has an entirely addictive openness to its top end. Of course the HD line is considered "veiled" by many. I never found it an issue but the top end is nothing like the ADs. Bottom is more defined on the 900X but quantity is near identical. Mids are more forward on the 598, but I would say that sounds to me like a slight hump rather than the 900X being recessed. Think of the 900X as an HDR photo if you know what those are causing the presentation to sound almost exaggerated and surreal at times. The 598 is very natural sounding to me but comes off as "boring" in comparison. Because of it's supernatural quality, soundstage on the 900X can sometimes seem weird... Particular on small acoustical groups... It sometimes sounds as though the various instrumentalists were very far apart from each other. Again, the soundstage of the 598 is natural to the point of subdued. In summary, If the 598 were HDTV, then the 900X is like some super HDTV to the point where it might seem too vibrant and unnatural to some.post #29136 of 294905/27/13 at 5:57pmpost #29137 of 294905/27/13 at 6:01pmQuote:+1 on the HFI-780's, a great choice.Originally Posted by cel4145Quote:
Can't comment on the other two, but I prefer the 780s to the M50s. More engaging soundstage and a little more bass impact to me.
Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2post #29138 of 294905/27/13 at 6:03pmQuote:Originally Posted by aak57
Hey, looking for a pair of headphones to get for my dad since he has just been using cheap junk forever. He listens to stuff like Pink Floyd, Genesis and Moody Blues (basically the alternative rocks of the 70s/80s) and some modern stuff like Muse. I don't honestly know what kind of sound signature to look for since I'm sure he'd have no idea whether he likes mids more than treble or bass or what have you. I don't want to get him something that's overly large/flashy since I don't think he'd like it (something more "discreet" would be better I suppose) and I don't think he'd like completely open headphones either, but again it's hard to say. I plan to get these as a gift so I don't really want to ask him too many questions since he'll probably figure out my idea.
Looking to spend probably under $100 since I don't think he'd want something he knows is expensive (you might be noticing a theme here). I was thinking maybe the MDR-V6s as a kind of safe choice, since even if he doesn't like them he could probably give me an idea of where to go from there and I could keep them for myself.
MDR-V6 or even better, MDR-7506post #29139 of 294905/27/13 at 6:06pmpost #29140 of 294905/27/13 at 7:25pmpost #29141 of 294905/27/13 at 7:54pmQuote:
Good. Have you checked the battle of the flagships reviews? Very good descriptions of many of the top headphones, and it looks like you will have the amplification to drive most of them: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13post #29142 of 294905/27/13 at 8:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by cel4145
Good. Have you checked the battle of the flagships reviews? Very good descriptions of many of the top headphones, and it looks like you will have the amplification to drive most of them: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13
Wow! Thanks for the link! This thread looks awesome. I better get reading.post #29143 of 294905/27/13 at 8:49pm
Hey guys, newbie right here but have lurked around more than a couple of times. I wonder if I could get your recommendations to buy my next set of headphones. Recently, I've broken my ATH-M50s from throwing them around for the last few years. I travel around quite a bit (usually in a 16 passenger van), since I'm in college and I play a sport. I'm looking for something in the <$200 zone and want an upgrade from my M50s. They were good, but my ears yearn for something better. I've looked around and a few of the ones I want to purchase are the Shure SRH 840s, M-Audio Q40s, Ultrasone 780s, and the AKG K550s. I will mostly be using an Ipod touch, so I need something easy to drive.
As for my preferences, I listen to a lot of old school soul and r&b, along with some hip hop and little bit of country, rock, and dubstep. I prefer a smooth sounding pair of cans and really don't care too much for the bass. Sound stage is of some importance but as long as they don't sound crammed up on my ears, I will be fine. I'm also not too keen on really bright or cold sounding cans either.
Thanks for taking out the time to help me out!post #29144 of 294905/27/13 at 9:34pm
I'm a basshead. I love bass. I mainly listen to dubstep, EDM, House, Drum and Bass, etc.
I need a new pair of headphones, I recently broke my only pair which were hesh 2.0 by skullcandy.
I'm considering the HA-M55X Xtreme Xplosive headphones by JVC. Either those, or the Sony MDR-XB500.
Needs to be under 70. Thank you. Please keep in mind I need an extreme bass response.
This thread is locked
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 8 seconds ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 3 minutes ago
- › Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO Factory Tour 2016 4 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 4 minutes ago
- › XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 6 minutes ago
- › Ghostek GHOHP001 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones, soDrop Series aptX... by Cinder
- › MEE audio M7P Secure-Fit Sports In-Ear Headphones with Mic, Remote,... by suman134
- › Rock Jaw Alfa Genus V2 Earphones with In-Line Mic & 3x Tuning... by suman134
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by suman134
- › Campfire Audio Lyra by Brooko
- › Brainwavz Hooka by DynamikeB
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by JoeDoe
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by MorrisL
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by Krisman
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by achelgeson
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...