Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... - Page 1940  

post #29086 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


My guess is that you don't understand that the HD 518 is Senn's entry level product for their lowest level of entry line audiophile cans.  While they are dark--darker than the next up the line, HD 558, they are not bass heavy cans in any respect.

 

I suggest that you read some reviews about them, as well as their bigger brothers the HD 558 and HD 598.  You should be the gist of their sound signature and how the other two cans in this line differ.

 

For other cans check out the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread.

 

tnx for the answer :) I do understand more or less and I'm  satisfied with most reviews people are putting here and somewhere else about this pair of headhpones. its just that some poeople said how the bass can be overhelming and thats the last thing I would want from my headphones...but i guess i wont know untill i buy them and they will probably be good cuz its a bigger step from my older headphones

post #29087 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifi Man View Post

I'm really curious to know what people here think of the sr80i vs sr60i. Is there really no difference if you use L pads for them?

 

I want to have another pair of headphones so I can compare the sound to my AKG K240 headphones. I hear the sound is pretty bright, and I listen to mostly rock music which these are supposed to be good for. I can't tell if I should get the sr80i or the sr60i.

 

I've done some research and I can't seem to find any concise statements saying one is better than the other. Some say there's no difference and some say the bass on one is better than the other. If I could know that the sr60i is the same as the sr80i with the L pad I would love to know so I can save 20 bucks and get the sr60 or get the sr80i.


Get the Alessandro MS-1i.

 

Failing that your are just likely to get more back and forth, much like the HD 600 vs. HD 650 discussions.  Put each on your own ears.

post #29088 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiton256 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


My guess is that you don't understand that the HD 518 is Senn's entry level product for their lowest level of entry line audiophile cans.  While they are dark--darker than the next up the line, HD 558, they are not bass heavy cans in any respect.

 

I suggest that you read some reviews about them, as well as their bigger brothers the HD 558 and HD 598.  You should be the gist of their sound signature and how the other two cans in this line differ.

 

For other cans check out the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread.

 

tnx for the answer :) I do understand more or less and I'm  satisfied with most reviews people are putting here and somewhere else about this pair of headhpones. its just that some poeople said how the bass can be overhelming and thats the last thing I would want from my headphones...but i guess i wont know untill i buy them and they will probably be good cuz its a bigger step from my older headphones


If it helps, I like them (but like the HD 558 & 598 more) and I do not like bass heavy cans.

post #29089 of 29491
What closed hp would be considered an upgrade from dt770?

Criteria:
- Closed and minimal leak
- great bass & subbass but still acceptably musical for multiple genres and music
- comfort
- decent soundstage

Love the dt770 but for genres such as hiphop they lack that extra bass. Can live with it but if a better alternative exists then want to try. I understand the Denons would help but they leak more sound so not ideal.

Concern would be to not want to replace the dt770 for something with so much bass emphasis that leads to early fatigue or something uncomfortable.

Help!!
Edited by amir_j - 5/26/13 at 1:28pm
post #29090 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCabDaddy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chawanwit View Post

Got 3 questions I need help on:

 

1) Is a 2nd hand HD598 at $160 a good deal assuming that the local price is around $280?

 

2) Has anyone ship headphones from a Japan company internationally? The price of the AD900X is really tempting at around $220 everything included as they claim. It is safe and will there be any more duty, taxes, other charges unseen?

 

3) How would the hd600, ad900x, and hd598 compare to each other and the he-400 since I have them and do no want another headphone that is too similiar.

 

Thanks a lot!

 

I've kept the AD900X in favor to the HE400 and HD598 if that helps at all.


Yes--reasonable ears will differ.

 

I like the HD 600 the best from this group.  However it usually costs quite a bit more than the AD 900X and HD 598.

post #29091 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by andydavid View Post

New here, new to higher end audio in general. Apologies in advance for any rules and conventions I might break...

Looking for advice choosing between two options that would fit my budget.
1. Pricier cans (e.g., LCD2) with cheaper DAC and amp (e.g., Schitt Modi and Magni)
2. Less expensive cans (e.g., HE400) and more expensive DAC and amp (brand/model tbd)

I guess an option in between too, but not familiar with what items would fit the bill.

Potentially useful info:
- source always computer, unfortunately a lot of compressed stuff (320 Kbps mp3 and AAC); CDs; looking forward to FLAC-ing moving forward
- would probably be locked into what I buy for 1-2 years before adding anything new
- listen to many genres

Thanks in advance to anyone with an opinion to share.


The best choice (assuming that your to use this equipment for a while) is to balance each piece.  The Schiit stack is not optimal to drive a $1,000 can. 

 

I'd get the HE 500 (saving you $300 over the LCD 2), Schiit Asgard 2 ($150 more) and spend what you have left to get a decent DAC.

post #29092 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


The Fostex TH900--but they list for almost $2,000.

FIrst ones I looked at. I read reviews and got scared seeing words like euphonic and bass.

I am doing some research into Signature Pros and Beyer t5ps. I had t5ps and have always regretted selling them.
post #29093 of 29491
 Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


If it helps, I like them (but like the HD 558 & 598 more) and I do not like bass heavy cans.

yes it helps :) thank you!

 probably going to buy them tomorrow, I decided that they might give me what I like more than grado sr 125i

I would go for HD 558 but the budget is currently the problem and personally cant wait to finally listen to my music on some good set of headphones so will settle down with HD 518 for some time :)

post #29094 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifi Man View Post

I'm really curious to know what people here think of the sr80i vs sr60i. Is there really no difference if you use L pads for them?

I want to have another pair of headphones so I can compare the sound to my AKG K240 headphones. I hear the sound is pretty bright, and I listen to mostly rock music which these are supposed to be good for. I can't tell if I should get the sr80i or the sr60i.

I've done some research and I can't seem to find any concise statements saying one is better than the other. Some say there's no difference and some say the bass on one is better than the other. If I could know that the sr60i is the same as the sr80i with the L pad I would love to know so I can save 20 bucks and get the sr60 or get the sr80i.

Google reveals lots of discussion comparing those two headphones: https://www.google.com/search?q=difference+between+sr60i+and+sr80i
post #29095 of 29491

Hello everyone,

 

I am fairly new to head-fi and I did do some search around the forum trying to get the best closed headphone for under $150.

I only have a pair of HD 203 that I brought from e-bay and honestly speaking my in-ear JVC HAFX1X xtreme-Xplosivs headphone sounds way better than the HD 203.

 

So now I wanted to buy a pair of good closed headphones to use in my University this fall. I would like a closed pair because I would normally use them in the library and I cant crack up the volume in there while others are studying,so isolation is a must. I dont really care about the looks but would love some comfortable headphones. I listen mostly to songs people make on soundcloud.

 

Some examples are:

CMA - Without You

Superbus - All Alone (Seven Lions Remix)

Lullabies - Yuna (Adventure Club Remix)

Kill Paris- I Do Love You

Kill Paris- Tender Love (FREE DOWNLOAD)

Florence And The Machine - Cosmic Love (Seven Lions Remix) [DL link in description]

Rameses B - I Need You (feat. Charlotte Haining) (nExow Remix)

 

I like listen to all kinds of music, but prefer the "light" ones. I personally would choose a music that consists of pure sounds rather than the vocal ones for reference.

 

Now this is the list that I have so far for my next headphone that I have in mind after reading countless of thread in Head-Fi:

 

Fostex T50-RP headphones T50RP

 

Shure SRH840

 

 

 

 

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms/80 ohms

 

V-MODA for True Blood V-80 On-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone

 

Audio Technica ATH-A900X Headphones

 

Ultrasone HFI-680

 

Ultrasone HFI-780

 

 

For my budget,I would like to set within the $150 range, I can buy headphones on both ebay and amazon, so I can normally find a cheap pair in ebay acutions. I also dont mind getting a used or refurbished ones as long as they sound good at a reasonable price.

 

Lastly I thank you all for reading my thread and have a wonderful day. :)

 

post #29096 of 29491

Hi guys, i am brand new to this forum. I am looking for a bit of advice when it comes to buying some over ear headphones.

 

I live in Toronto, Canada and i primarily use my headphones (an old pair of Sennheisers) for walks or rollerblading. I am looking to replace them with a new pair of over ear cans. My price range is 200-400ish. I don't care about flashy, name brand or anything like that. I listen to all sorts of music from rock to rap, classical, folk etc. I know basically nothing about audio and would just love a recommendation or two. I've been to the best buys and future shops here in the city and tried on there name brand cans, didnt really like any of the ones i tried on other then Sennheiser Momentum's.

 

My main criteria: Good sound quality, not too flimsy (easily breakable), cable is not super long. Thats about it. Thanks so much in advance.

post #29097 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny-Lights View Post

Hello everyone,

 

I am fairly new to head-fi and I did do some search around the forum trying to get the best closed headphone for under $150.

I only have a pair of HD 203 that I brought from e-bay and honestly speaking my in-ear JVC HAFX1X xtreme-Xplosivs headphone sounds way better than the HD 203.

 

So now I wanted to buy a pair of good closed headphones to use in my University this fall. I would like a closed pair because I would normally use them in the library and I cant crack up the volume in there while others are studying,so isolation is a must. I dont really care about the looks but would love some comfortable headphones. I listen mostly to songs people make on soundcloud.

 

Some examples are:

CMA - Without You

Superbus - All Alone (Seven Lions Remix)

Lullabies - Yuna (Adventure Club Remix)

Kill Paris- I Do Love You

Kill Paris- Tender Love (FREE DOWNLOAD)

Florence And The Machine - Cosmic Love (Seven Lions Remix) [DL link in description]

Rameses B - I Need You (feat. Charlotte Haining) (nExow Remix)

 

I like listen to all kinds of music, but prefer the "light" ones. I personally would choose a music that consists of pure sounds rather than the vocal ones for reference.

 

Now this is the list that I have so far for my next headphone that I have in mind after reading countless of thread in Head-Fi:

 

Fostex T50-RP headphones T50RP

 

Shure SRH840

 

 

 

 

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms/80 ohms

 

V-MODA for True Blood V-80 On-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone

 

Audio Technica ATH-A900X Headphones

 

Ultrasone HFI-680

 

Ultrasone HFI-780

 

 

For my budget,I would like to set within the $150 range, I can buy headphones on both ebay and amazon, so I can normally find a cheap pair in ebay acutions. I also dont mind getting a used or refurbished ones as long as they sound good at a reasonable price.

 

Lastly I thank you all for reading my thread and have a wonderful day. :)

 


The Fostex is semi-open, so take it off your list.

post #29098 of 29491

nevermind


Edited by Hifi Man - 5/26/13 at 5:11pm
post #29099 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatingu View Post

Hi guys, i am brand new to this forum. I am looking for a bit of advice when it comes to buying some over ear headphones.

 

I live in Toronto, Canada and i primarily use my headphones (an old pair of Sennheisers) for walks or rollerblading. I am looking to replace them with a new pair of over ear cans. My price range is 200-400ish. I don't care about flashy, name brand or anything like that. I listen to all sorts of music from rock to rap, classical, folk etc. I know basically nothing about audio and would just love a recommendation or two. I've been to the best buys and future shops here in the city and tried on there name brand cans, didnt really like any of the ones i tried on other then Sennheiser Momentum's.

 

My main criteria: Good sound quality, not too flimsy (easily breakable), cable is not super long. Thats about it. Thanks so much in advance.


Sony MDR 7520 (which a replaceable cable) plus a very affordable 1/8" male to male 3 or 4 foot cable from a place like Monoprice for use on the go.

post #29100 of 29491

I just got myself a brand new pair of Dt 990's and bought a Asus Xonar Phoebus to go with that. My current Auzentech Bravura died on me so i was in the market for a new soundcard anyway. I was thinking of getting a Fiio E9 to go with that but after some more reading i thought i read that the amp in the phoebus was just about the same as the one in the Fiio E9. Now i am on the fence about getting one cause im not sure if getting one will actually do anything good for my audio. Would getting a E9 improve anything or would i have to get an E7 on top of that to actually notice any difference?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum