Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... - Page 1883  

post #28231 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicoop456 View Post

Lol thanks for the help. Not really loving the look/style of the Pioneers. Also a little concerned over the amount of bass in them, but as you said, they do have a built in equalizer. Do you have any input about the headphones I listed in my first message as I found those to be reviewed the highest? 

 

Regarding your list, it's hard for me to gauge which one is best since I've only heard the Sony V6 - a very boring headphone, not good for rap.

 

I think the Superlux and Panasonic have a more musical presentation, but I've heard both good and bad things about them. Again, I can't comment here since I haven't heard either.

 

Some other <$50 headphones I have heard, are the Koss Pro DJ100 and the HARX900, and I highly recommend both. But IMO you won't find much improvement from the HD428 under $50 - the HD428 is already a highly-regarded budget-fi headphone to begin with.

post #28232 of 29491

Should I invest in an amp? I will be listening to music/movies from my phone and laptop. 

post #28233 of 29491

Hi All

I have a dilemma that I'm hoping I could get some more feedback and opinions on.  I've been doing a lot of reading and I believe I'm at the point of either wanting to pick up the HE400 or the Mad Dogs (or possibly the T50RP and doing some mods myself...).

 

My situation:  I currently have the Matrix M-Stage, Music Streamer II, Q701 and HD25-1 II.  I will be picking up the Bifrost and Lyr to go with my new set up.  I will likely be hanging onto the M-Stage to have a SS amp and a Tube amp.  The MS2 will go to my bedside set up with my PA2v2 and HD25-1 II.  I may look to sell/trade my MS2 for an ODAC out of curiosity (if anyone may be interested...).

 

I listen to Metal and Industrial music and will be using them for music, movies and games (potentially, if they can compete with the Q701).  The HD25-1 are a good closed, portable headphones and I like them for music, etc.  The Q701 are nice too but I find them a bit boring for music (analytical may be the term most appropriate?).  They are amazing for gaming though and decent for movies.

 

I would like my next headphone to be more 'fun' though and a better bass.  You can hear the bass in the Q701's but there is no sense of impact or excitement - they are just a bit dull for music I found.

 

So based on my needs, I'm on the fence between the HE400 and Mad Dogs.  HE400 apparently are quite good for metal and movies and decent for games (have a sizeable soundstage...not quite as big as the Q's though).  Mad Dogs seem to be a good contender as well and are quite popular here.

 

Unfortunately I have no means to demo any of these so am at the mercy of you all :)

 

I've read that they both pair quite well with the Lyr and M-Stage, so that is covered.

 

I have no 'need' for a closed pair so am looking to get the best headphones for the price and to suit my needs.

 

I've read that the HE400 is a nice 'compliment' pair to have with the Q701's, which would be nice.  I have no issue buying the new pair and keeping the Q701's if they are a good match.  However, if one beats them in all ways, then I'll probably sell the Q's off.

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

 

And I'd like to thank TekeRugburn for talking through some of this with me and giving me an unbiased opinion as well.  Very helpful.  He's starting to make me lean towards picking up the HE400's now and getting the T50RP's later and doing some modding myself...but not sure what is involved in doing that and if it can get close to an already modded Mad Dog.

post #28234 of 29491

the t50rp as a can is quite polite n loose at the bass, 

quite a challenge to get some aggression into it. 

( i dun know how much the maddog succeeded, havent heard it :P)

i would go for a he-400 for a little more edgy, warmer sound.

post #28235 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicoop456 View Post

Should I invest in an amp? I will be listening to music/movies from my phone and laptop. 


What headphones are you using? With the 428s it's not really necessary, but if you went with the pro dj 100s id go for an amp IME


Edited by torturechambers - 5/6/13 at 7:45pm
post #28236 of 29491
If you mod the T50RP correctly, it sounds like the Audeze LCD2, which is probably the best for everything you need it for!
Just read the Modding Guide for the T50RPs.
I suggest getting HE400 pads regardless of what you do on the inside of the can.
They really help the HE400 sound the way they do!
post #28237 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectriKip View Post

Hehe, bump. :3

 

why dun u go down to the store and give all the cans a listen :P

 

i would cut the parrot, n the ntune, both sounded echo-ey to me. dun think u want that for mixing.

but if u are willing to rip out the ntune pads n stick on a pad with a wider inner diameter, then its quite clean sounding suddenly.

 

i would just pick between the seinheissers.

post #28238 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by -xX-Mew-Xx- View Post

If you mod the T50RP correctly, it sounds like the Audeze LCD2, which is probably the best for everything you need it for!
Just read the Modding Guide for the T50RPs.
I suggest getting HE400 pads regardless of what you do on the inside of the can.
They really help the HE400 sound the way they do!

 

Does it require some soldering...if its just sticking some felt/damping materials, i am willing to give it a go again,

just to get a LCD on the cheap :P

post #28239 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post

Does it require some soldering...if its just sticking some felt/damping materials, i am willing to give it a go again,
just to get a LCD on the cheap :P
All you need is some stuff from the dollar store and pads so all together, $200 Max.
You could get a similar sound sig easily!
It is the next can I am getting.
post #28240 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by -xX-Mew-Xx- View Post


All you need is some stuff from the dollar store and pads so all together, $200 Max.
You could get a similar sound sig easily!
It is the next can I am getting.

200 as in 100 for the can, and 100 for the stuff...ALL IN...for a DIY LCD4 ? 

wholly mackerel....beerchug.gif

post #28241 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post

200 as in 100 for the can, and 100 for the stuff...ALL IN...for a DIY LCD4 ? 
wholly mackerel....beerchug.gif
Yes indeed! If you are interested, me and a friend will be starting a buisness this summer which involves modding cheap cans and selling them.
Easy, fun and great money!
Anyone PM if you are interested!
And PM lazbro123 if you want. Because he is going to be apart of this too!
If you know how to design a website then I beg you to join us smily_headphones1.gif
beerchug.gif
post #28242 of 29491

What is your budget?

 

€150,- ($200)

 

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

 

It doesn't matter what they are, they just shouldn't leak too much.

 

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

 

I will be using them on my laptop with intergrated Realtek HD audio soundcard. No amp.

 

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

 

Pretty much anything from 128 kbps to 320 kbps CBR MP3.

 

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

I do like a fun sound signature with good punchy, tight deep bass, but I do like a balanced sound. Neutral can be too boring for me. I'm looking for good clarity, detail, punchy tight deep bass, instrument separation, good soundstage and imaging and clear detailed vocals in general. I only listen to rap/hiphop and occasionally some dubstep.

 

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

I'll be using them at home in my bedroom, but occasionally I'll use them in my living room.

post #28243 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakanao View Post

What is your budget?



 



€150,- ($200)



 



Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?



 



It doesn't matter what they are, they just shouldn't leak too much.



 



What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?



 



I will be using them on my laptop with intergrated Realtek HD audio soundcard. No amp.



 



What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?



 



Pretty much anything from 128 kbps to 320 kbps CBR MP3.



 



Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?



If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?



I do like a fun sound signature with good punchy, tight deep bass, but I do like a balanced sound. Neutral can be too boring for me. I'm looking for good clarity, detail, punchy tight deep bass, instrument separation, good soundstage and imaging and clear detailed vocals in general. I only listen to rap/hiphop and occasionally some dubstep.



 



Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?



I'll be using them at home in my bedroom, but occasionally I'll use them in my living room.



Are you going to post this again later today? You've already put this up like six times in the last two days. The first time was probably enough. LOL
post #28244 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


Are you going to post this again later today? You've already put this up like six times in the last two days. The first time was probably enough. LOL

But I really need some help!

post #28245 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicoop456 View Post

Hey guys. I'm new to the forums and I am looking for a new pair of headphones. I have narrowed down my search to 4 pairs.

 

- Superlux HD668B

- Panasonic HTF600

- Sony MDR-V6

- Audio Technica ATH-M30

 

I will be using these in two scenarios. Watching TV and movies in bed for a couple hours (so they need to be comfortable for long periods of time) and listening to rap music on my phone and laptop. They don't have to portable as they will rarely leave my room. As I said, rap is pretty much the only music that I will be listening to so keep that in mind. However, I don't want overpowering bass that takes over the song and becomes the focus of attention. Just for reference, I am currently using Sennheiser HD428s right now but feel like they are getting a little muddy and I think I can do better. 

 

Thank you for your help.


A non-muddy option in your price range (or a little below) is the Beyerdynamic DT_235.  I find them comfortable because they are very light and the padding material is soft enough.  However, they are a circumaural design that is small enough to become partly on-ear for many users.  Remember that comfort is a very subjective thing.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum