or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 188  

post #2806 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik F View Post

Music: Listening to Autechre, Sufjan Stevens, Art Blakey remasters, chamber music

Open/Closed: Closed

Portable: Able to fit in a briefcase, but I don't walk around with them on my ears

DAC/Amp: No

Requirements: Decent soundstage, warmth in mids, clarity (but not abrasiveness) in highs.  I'm not a basshead: I like to hear the upright bass in jazz, but it doesn't need to flood the spectrum.

Budget:  Preferably below $400

 

Current favorite headphones are the Grado SR-80's.  With those, I back off just a hair at 2kHz and boost things just a bit at 100Hz.  Source gear is a Rio Karma, sometimes MiniDisc.  I prefer "warm" over "analytical.  I liked the ESW9's, though they felt "bloated" in the upper midrange.

 

Any suggestions are welcome.


I would suggest the Phiaton MS300. A sort of grado-like sound signature, warmer tone, closed design, great detailing throughout the spectrum with a nice punchy bass and clear yet not shrill highs.

 


Edited by Armaegis - 4/5/11 at 1:16pm
post #2807 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

The entire Beyer DT line has many different impedance models for the same headphones. The 880s come standard at 250 Ohm. They also make 32 Ohm and 600 Ohm versions.

 

Here's the 32 Ohm ones. http://www.amazon.com/Beyer-Dynamic-Premium-32-Headphones/dp/B0024NK358/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1302033407&sr=8-1


 

That said, I still found the 32 ohm versions a little difficult to drive to loud volumes.

post #2808 of 29490


True. They are still a little on the 'need an amp' side, but there are some excellent low budget options that would give the 32s that little extra juice they need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post




 

That said, I still found the 32 ohm versions a little difficult to drive to loud volumes.



 

post #2809 of 29490
I am sure this question has been asked before but what are the best unamped open cans I can get for around the ~$100 range. I am not an audiophile, I am just looking for something that will sound great plugged into my computer, be fairly comfortable to wear for long periods of time, and is good for rock music.

The grado SR 60s seem a decent choice, but I was wondering if there is anything better out there.
post #2810 of 29490

Yeah, rock music = grado.  If you are into modding the SR 60 can sound way better than some of the pricer cans.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/508459/sr60-mod

 

If not there is also the option of Alessandro MS1 which is SR 60 modded by Alessandro.

 

http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

post #2811 of 29490
A Friend suggested to me AKG 240s for around that price mark, any opinions on them?
post #2812 of 29490



The K240 isn't a bad choice in that range. I think I'd prefer Grado sound, but I dislike Grado's definition of comfort (ouch).

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamrhein View Post

A Friend suggested to me AKG 240s for around that price mark, any opinions on them?


 

 

post #2813 of 29490

I was set on the ATH-M50 until a friend told me to forget about them and get the pioneer HDJ-500: http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/44/216/2183/HDJ-500-W/index.html

i can get the M50 for ~$140 and the pioneers are ~$125

listen to mainly house, hiphop and have been getting into a bit of dubstep

post #2814 of 29490


Do NOT buy those Pioneers. Just grab your M50s are be much happier.

 

The low end Pioneer cans are just awful. HDJ 2000s are nice, but still not up to part with a lot of stuff in the price range, IMO.

 

EDIT: The M50s shine with those genres as well, so it's even more of a reason to get them. Pioneer headphones prey somewhat on people that want to stick to one brand when buying DJ gear.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by enclavebob View Post

I was set on the ATH-M50 until a friend told me to forget about them and get the pioneer HDJ-500: http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/44/216/2183/HDJ-500-W/index.html

i can get the M50 for ~$140 and the pioneers are ~$125

listen to mainly house, hiphop and have been getting into a bit of dubstep



 

 


Edited by MorbidToaster - 4/5/11 at 5:50pm
post #2815 of 29490


Alright coolbigsmile_face.gif

Also my friend does have a lot of pioneer DJ equipment so that makes sense that he would tell me to buy those...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post


Do NOT buy those Pioneers. Just grab your M50s are be much happier.

 

The low end Pioneer cans are just awful. HDJ 2000s are nice, but still not up to part with a lot of stuff in the price range, IMO.

 

EDIT: The M50s shine with those genres as well, so it's even more of a reason to get them. Pioneer headphones prey somewhat on people that want to stick to one brand when buying DJ gear.
 



 

 


 

 

post #2816 of 29490

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post


Do NOT buy those Pioneers. Just grab your M50s are be much happier.

 

The low end Pioneer cans are just awful. HDJ 2000s are nice, but still not up to part with a lot of stuff in the price range, IMO.

 

EDIT: The M50s shine with those genres as well, so it's even more of a reason to get them. Pioneer headphones prey somewhat on people that want to stick to one brand when buying DJ gear.
 

 


+ 1  Pioneer don't get a mention on here.  If it is not on here usually = crap  tongue_smile.gif

 

post #2817 of 29490



Don't get me wrong. Pioneer makes EXCELLENT DJ gear. I owned a Pioneer rig (CDJ 800 MK IIs, DJM 800) when I was DJing frequently. I loved it. Tell your friend to step it up and buy himself the Xone 53 Headphones. By far my favorite cans to mix with. :D

 

Enjoy your M50s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enclavebob View Post


Alright coolbigsmile_face.gif

Also my friend does have a lot of pioneer DJ equipment so that makes sense that he would tell me to buy those...


 

 



 

 

post #2818 of 29490

I absolutely love my unamped HD555's, what is the logical next step in terms of headphones?

post #2819 of 29490

HD 600 or HD 650 and get an amp/dac

 

 

post #2820 of 29490


Yeah, I'd say HD 650 + Amp/DAC
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyoung8 View Post

HD 600 or HD 650 and get an amp/dac

 

 



 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum