I just bought some MDR 1rs and while they do sound great compared to closed cans, they might get owned by open cans in the same price range. I'm still keeping them of course because I like the sound and the portability and whatnot, but am in the market for an open can.
My search has led me between 3 cans:
Sony MDR MA900
Now most people say that the ma900s own the hd598s in every way, but I just wanted to be sure. I won't be amping these, which is why I didn't add things like DT880/990, or Q701.
Note: I'm not a basshead but I like to have a little more puch then what you headfiers call neutral.
Since I would probably use the 1rs for hip hop, I was wondering how well these open cans would do with vocal and instrumental based genres, like r&b, rock, jrock/pop, and classical.
Open almost always wins out closed at the same price point. I think I prefer my AD700 sonically to anything else I've purchased so far and those were far less than anything else. I agree with your assessment of the 1R, although they absolutely have their place in my arsenal. Let's go back to basics...
- What's your budget?
- Where/how do you plan on using these can?
- What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?
- What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?
- What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?
- Do you know what kind of signature you're trying to find?