or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 1727  

post #25891 of 29490

Okay, just gonna list off stuff now.

 

Budget: $200 abs. max.

Currently looking at: Shure SRH840, Fostex T50RP w/ 840 pads, Utrasone HFI-780.

 

     I like the look of all of these headphones, but the T50RP don't look too durable/portable which isn't a huge deal. If I got the T50RP I would for s(h)ure get the 840 pads for them and maybe do a bit of modding. I am concerned about the cable, I see it is detachable but has a 1/4" jack and no 3.5mm adapter. How hard would that be to mod? I don't like the look of any of the adapters I could find. I think I would keep the SRH 840 stock. The Ultrasone I am a bit confused with, do they have a detachable cable? what is the difference between the HFI-780 and 580? On amazon the 580 is more expensive and has the 50mm drivers and the 780 has 40mm. The 580 is also $40 more. What is up with that?

 

I'm not too charmed with the Shures, I think I would have more fun modding the T50RP for that money but i am worried about the cable. The Ultrasones are sorta in the middle.

post #25892 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by unpimpauto View Post

Okay, just gonna list off stuff now.

 

Budget: $200 abs. max.

Currently looking at: Shure SRH840, Fostex T50RP w/ 840 pads, Utrasone HFI-780.

 

     I like the look of all of these headphones, but the T50RP don't look too durable/portable which isn't a huge deal. If I got the T50RP I would for s(h)ure get the 840 pads for them and maybe do a bit of modding. I am concerned about the cable, I see it is detachable but has a 1/4" jack and no 3.5mm adapter. How hard would that be to mod? I don't like the look of any of the adapters I could find. I think I would keep the SRH 840 stock. The Ultrasone I am a bit confused with, do they have a detachable cable? what is the difference between the HFI-780 and 580? On amazon the 580 is more expensive and has the 50mm drivers and the 780 has 40mm. The 580 is also $40 more. What is up with that?

 

I'm not too charmed with the Shures, I think I would have more fun modding the T50RP for that money but i am worried about the cable. The Ultrasones are sorta in the middle.


The 580 is a basshead can.  Although the 780 has significant bass, it is not.

 

The 780's cable is fixed.  You have to go up to the Pro 750 (the brother of the 780) to get a detachable cable.

post #25893 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post

MDR 1R or Philips Fidelio L1 or M80s or UE6000 (dont want the senn momentum or m100)

 

Please Help, i need to choose quickly.

My favorite genres include: R&B, small amount of rap, jrock/pop, a little classical.

I will be using these on the train and bus, so portability and isolation are priorities.

Im just wondering if i should save up for the MDR 1R or settle for the Fidelio L1.  It doesn't really seem like the others even have a chance, but whatever.

 

Decision must be made within 2 days and i have $250.

 

Thanks in Advance!

 

Have not heard the Fidelio L1, so I can't comment on that one at all.

 

I was trying to decide on a fun set of cans a couple of weeks ago and was choosing between the Momentum, 1R, M80, and UE6000. I was looking at the K550 as well, but you didn't ask about that one. There were things I liked and didn't like about all of them. I'll be very quick on my pros and cons. Keep in mind these are my impressions and all of it is very subjective, so you'll need to form your own opinion. I'm just giving you my opinion.

 

Momentum:

  • Pros - sound signature, build quality, efficiency
  • Cons - comfort, price

MDR-1R

  • Pros - sound signature (close to the same signature as the Momentum), comfort, efficiency
  • Cons - build quality

M80

  • Pros - build quality, efficiency, price
  • Cons - sound signature (it was fine, just not what I was looking for), aesthetics, comfort

UE6000

  • Pros - efficiency, comfort, price
  • Cons - sound signature, build quality, aesthetics

 

Ultimately, I decided on the MDR-1R. It's more comfortable than everything else I tried and it sounds amazing even unamped. They seem more efficient which is nice for the portability aspects. I've been with them for almost 2 weeks now and I'm very happy with my decision so far. Check out this comparison as well.

post #25894 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


The 580 is a basshead can.  Although the 780 has significant bass, it is not.

 

The 780's cable is fixed.  You have to go up to the Pro 750 (the brother of the 780) to get a detachable cable.

Or down to PRO 550? How do the DJ1 Pros Compare? Or how much would it cost and how hard is it to rewire for a detachable cable?

post #25895 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatdi View Post

Hi, im from Brazil and new in the world of good headphones.

Actually, i have some low end ekips: ATH-M50, HD280Pro, etc... and im looking for better cans.

I listen to gothic, heavy, doom and symphonic metal or hip-hop, house and trance sometimes.

 

I read a lot in the forum and finished with theses options:

 

- Sennheiser Momentum

- V-Moda M100

- Yamaha Pro 500 (probably the chosen one)

- ATH-A900X

- Sony MDR-1R
 

My needs: I rly don't wanna use an amp, but if its necessary, np at all.

I prefer closed cans and im little basshead (just a little)(i had a Sennheiser HD598, loved but sold because the bass was weak to me)

I love musical fidelity, thats y i didnt even think about colored cans like beats pro.

 

Wich headphone would u pickup from the list above? Is there any other option on the market?

Money isnt rly a problem but i dont wanna spent all in a fullsize because i wanna buy some IEM too...

Ahh, im going to MIAMI... Is there any store with nice options of headphones to listen to?

 

Thanks to all opinions!


Anyone, please?

post #25896 of 29490

Hi everybody! Which closed headphones would you highly recommend that have the best of MTPC(highs, mids) and V-Moda LP2(bass)?

I just got the V-Moda LP2 and I have to say that the bass is simply amazing, ground shaking, cinema like, exactly what I was searching for. On the other hand I have the MTPC where I just love the highs and the mids and the small details that they provide, they are simply amazing in that area. Unfortunately the LP2 fails a bit in Highs, Mids are so so but not as in the Copper Pro, The Coppers have a nice tight bass but it's far away from what the LP2 delivers. I know I shouldn't compare closed vs in-ear but still I'm doing it so you can get an idea of what I want. So, I guess I am searching for a closed headphones that can provide best of both worlds ? What currently is in my mind is something like V-Moda M-100 and Ultrasone pro-900. I’m just afraid that the M-100 wouldn’t have the same thumping bass effect as the LP2. About Ultrasone, I’m kind of clueless but I read really good reviews? And if by any chance you think that any In-ear monitors can have the same bass as LP2, please share their name ! :)

 

p.s.

Just one last small question....would any portable AMP actually improve any aspect of the LP2 sound, I am using sony mp3 player NWZ-A865?


Edited by gen66 - 3/11/13 at 3:34pm
post #25897 of 29490
I think now i have my mind fairly set on some ATH-A900X's, but now I'm wondering if it's worth The 70 buck jump from the 700X's. I can afford it with the 900's, but if i get the 700's i can easilly grab the FiiO E6 and L9, but i saw somewhere that with Audio Technicas, amps aren't needed.
post #25898 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by unpimpauto View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


The 580 is a basshead can.  Although the 780 has significant bass, it is not.

 

The 780's cable is fixed.  You have to go up to the Pro 750 (the brother of the 780) to get a detachable cable.

Or down to PRO 550? How do the DJ1 Pros Compare? Or how much would it cost and how hard is it to rewire for a detachable cable?


The 550 is also a basshead can.  I have not heard the DJ1.

post #25899 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerHead View Post

I'm kind of leaning back toward the koss.  I want to like the logitechs.   I like the idea of the built in amp and big enough stock pads and noise cancellation even if not amazing.  Also I did find where Tyll said exactly that the bass can "confuse" the mids. hmm maybe that's where I subconsciously got that word from anyway. That's a little different than the sports car analogy because still at some quality point I might be comparing to mids on cheaper stuff that are more confused anyway even without the bass interference. 

 

Wish I could try them out.  The UE6000 are not even available locally for mail order.  Maybe they are too new.  Logitech is everywhere.

 

hahah... i think you are reading too much into it, but yea, for sure go try them out.

 

If you have a Best Buy nearby, that is where I heard the UE6000. You might also be able to find them at Apple stores, but I would just call your local Best Buy. They should definitely have them. These aren't that new, been out since end of 2012 I believe, so you should def be able to find em somewhere.

post #25900 of 29490

I currently have the Denon D2000's and a 1713 receiver...looking to upgrade and I hate sibilance.  Since I live in Canada my options are very limited since many sets are not avaliable, not avaliable from retailers with good return/exchange policies, ridiculously over priced.  I want something with a real warranty, manufacturers only offering 1 year warranties is insulting.  Will only order from Canadian retailers for warranty reasons and I do not want to pay duty.

 

I listen to pretty much everything except for rap and country, but I mainly listen to rock, heavy metal, electronica/dance (lots of A State of Trance), techno, and classical (game and movie soundtracks usually).  I like the bass on the Denon D200's but I would prefer to have accuracy.  

 

These have tickled my fancy

 

Sony MD1-R (215$ from ShopRBC)

+From what I have read these are very balanced and good for all types of music

?These seem like more of a side grade vs. the D2000's

-1 year Warranty from Sony

-No Canadian retailers with good return+exchange policies sell these

 

Sennheiser Momentum (350$ From Futureshop)

+Can purchase Futureshop's warranty

+Reviews from both users and pro's indicate that these are great

+2 Year Warranty

?Side grade

-I've read many threads on here and reviews and I like the idea of the Sony's more

-Don't think they are worth twice as much as the Sony's

 

Beyerdynamic DT 990 600ohms (600$)

+5 Year Warranty

-Was reading about the T90's (530$ from AV shop.ca) and was put off Zombie's review and a few others mentioning the sibilance

-Only avaliable from Amazon.ca selelrs

 

Sennheiser HD 650's (530$)

+I find Sennheiser's very comfy+

+These get good reviews

+like the sound of the PC 360's I am currently using, maybe more than the Denon D2000's

+can be purchased from places like Amazon

 

Sony 7520 (370$)

Need to research these more

-1 Year warranty

 

AKG K550

+Reviews give the impression that these are awesome

-1 year warranty


Edited by MenacingTuba - 3/11/13 at 6:31pm
post #25901 of 29490

I am new to cans and my first purchase was the v moda lp crossfade had them for about 2 months, I think im ready for an upgrade. I really like that they have very nice bass just wish the mids wouldn't get mixed in with the bass and wish the highs were slightly more sparkly... I also ordred a pair of klipsch reference one last week. they have good bass but the highs are a little hot, they are going back... any advice would be appreciated...don't wanna keep spending money budget is around 100.00.

post #25902 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by MenacingTuba View Post

I currently have the Denon D2000's and a 1713 receiver...looking to upgrade and I hate sibilance.  Since I live in Canada my options are very limited since many sets are not avaliable, not avaliable from retailers with good return/exchange policies, ridiculously over priced.  I want something with a real warranty, manufacturers only offering 1 year warranties is insulting.  Will only order from Canadian retailers for warranty reasons and I do not want to pay duty.

 

I listen to pretty much everything except for rap and country, but I mainly listen to rock, heavy metal, electronica/dance (lots of A State of Trance), techno, and classical (game and movie soundtracks usually).  I like the bass on the Denon D200's but I would prefer to have accuracy.  

 

These have tickled my fancy

 

 

HD600 would fit the bill nicely.  They are very versatile, have less aggressive treble than HD650 & DT990 and are much better than the closed headphones.

post #25903 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by MenacingTuba View Post

I currently have the Denon D2000's and a 1713 receiver...looking to upgrade and I hate sibilance.  Since I live in Canada my options are very limited since many sets are not avaliable, not avaliable from retailers with good return/exchange policies, ridiculously over priced.  I want something with a real warranty, manufacturers only offering 1 year warranties is insulting.  Will only order from Canadian retailers for warranty reasons and I do not want to pay duty.

 

I listen to pretty much everything except for rap and country, but I mainly listen to rock, heavy metal, electronica/dance (lots of A State of Trance), techno, and classical (game and movie soundtracks usually).  I like the bass on the Denon D200's but I would prefer to have accuracy.  

 

V-Moda offers a really nice no-hassle 2-year warranty, so maybe you would like to look at the M-100. $300 (from Amazon), $310 (from V-Moda w/ customized shields). After 2 years, then 50% off immortal life program, you can get the same set at discount.

post #25904 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by eucariote View Post

 

HD600 would fit the bill nicely.  They are very versatile, have less aggressive treble than HD650 & DT990 and are much better than the closed headphones.

Will look into those, thanks.  They go for 500$+ in Canada vs. 400$ in the US :(  Was also looking into the Beyerdynamic T90's but the thread here put me off (sibilance, don't sound as good as 990/T70)

Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post

V-Moda offers a really nice no-hassle 2-year warranty, so maybe you would like to look at the M-100. $300 (from Amazon), $310 (from V-Moda w/ customized shields). After 2 years, then 50% off immortal life program, you can get the same set at discount.

These were one of the first sets I looked into, but from reviews these seem more like a side-grade and are not balanced.  I don't think they are worth it once I factor in duty+tax+shipping.


Edited by MenacingTuba - 3/11/13 at 8:37pm
post #25905 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by eucariote View Post

 

HD600 would fit the bill nicely.  They are very versatile, have less aggressive treble than HD650 & DT990 and are much better than the closed headphones.

Are you sure about the treble?

 

My impression was that the 600's had brighter trebles than the 650's, which actually roll off considerably compared to the 600's.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum