Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... - Page 1680  

post #25186 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlobHobNob View Post

It depends on what you listen to.

various im afraid. tho alt-j an awesome wave has been my go to album of the last year if thats any help....

post #25187 of 29491

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132010

 

 

Is that a good soundcard for powering 250 ohm DT990 Pro for gaming and music?

post #25188 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkma View Post

I've refined my requirements and am looking for input on the headphones below. For home and travel using mp3s and movies in flight. Priority is comfort, isolation, sound, portability. max $200, prefer to spend less. I'm now looking at:

KRK KNS8400

NVX Audio XPT100

Senn HD-280 pro

Shure HR440

Beyer Custom One Pro

Sound magic HP100

 

I was leaning towards the Beyer's, but the lack of folding and having to purchase a case have me uncertain. Otherwise they sound like somethign I would like. I carry a leather laptop bag/briefcase and like to be able to tuck headphones in an outer zippered area (full size about 10*12*1" but being flexible can expand several inches if an item is not thick and wide). Sound Magic are in running but I'm not familiar with brand and not sure I want to spend 199 on someting I'm unfamiliar with. KRK sounds like they have good isolation and sound and may be a good fit. All opinions are appreciated. Looking for recommendations as well as quality and "bang for the buck" ratings on these.

 

I live out on the Cape and have not found a store with a good selection to try. Makes me nervous as this is a big purchase for me.


Hope you get some help, but it's not very likely that anyone has heard all six cans enough (or at all) to be definitive about each.  Culling your list down to 2 or 3 will be of great help if you want direct comparisons instead of one off impressions of a single item or two on your list.

post #25189 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Nova View Post

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132010

 

 

Is that a good soundcard for powering 250 ohm DT990 Pro for gaming and music?


You will probably get better and more answers in the computer audio section of the forum.

post #25190 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


I like the AKG, but is more in the bassy (but balanced) direction.  It's not are airy and detailed as the Shure.

 

I doubt that you will find them, but I also like the Japanese import Sony MDR-CD900ST.

I have a set of their twin brothers, the mdr-v7. While theyre very detailed i would hesitate to call them airy. Theyre not congested either, but the soundstage is rather tight and spherical. Given a listen to a set of mdr-v6 if you can. If you like the sound but want smoother highs, tighter more extended bass and all around better clarity its worth the trouble to import them.

 

Alright, so the following are on my list of cans to try this weekend:

  • Shure SRH940
  • AKG K550
  • Sony MDR-V6
  • Beyerdynamic DT 770

 

The Sony is on there, but I'm a little hesitant that a $65 headphone is going to deliver what I'm looking for. Still, no color lines, right? I've also put the DT 770 on there just because I'm interested in the comparison. It's probably not what I'm looking for at all, but I figure I should expose my ears to everything I can to refine my tastes. If anyone can think of any other decently closed-back, neutral, and relatively airy cans to try, I'm all ears.


Edited by roguegeek - 2/22/13 at 3:51pm
post #25191 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkma View Post

I've refined my requirements and am looking for input on the headphones below. For home and travel using mp3s and movies in flight. Priority is comfort, isolation, sound, portability. max $200, prefer to spend less. I'm now looking at:

KRK KNS8400

NVX Audio XPT100

Senn HD-280 pro

Shure HR440

Beyer Custom One Pro

Sound magic HP100

 

Years and years ago when I knew nothing at all about headphones (granted, I comparatively know very little still), I picked up the Sennheiser HD280 Pro thinking I was getting the deal of the century. They were ok because I had never really put anything of value on my ears, but after having tried so many other things in the last several month, I can safely say there is no amount of money they are worth and it seems like the number of negative reviews for them validates this. Just remove them from your list and save your time.

post #25192 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

Alright, so the following are on my list of cans to try this weekend:
  • Shure SRH940
  • AKG K550
  • Sony MDR-V6
  • Beyerdynamic DT 770

The Sony is on there, but I'm a little hesitant that a $65 headphone is going to deliver what I'm looking for. Still, no color lines, right? I've also put the DT 770 on there just because I'm interested in the comparison. It's probably not what I'm looking for at all, but I figure I should expose my ears to everything I can to refine my tastes. If anyone can think of any other decently closed-back, neutral, and relatively airy cans to try, I'm all ears.
Just use the v6 to get an idea what the CD900ST will sound like. The v6 is a good $65 headphone. Their big brother is well worth more than $150. They sound similar but the CD900 is much more resolving, and less harsh but still bright
post #25193 of 29491

Hi all !!

 

New to HF .

 

I am getting new headphones and could really need some advice on one .

 

Well to start of i need headphones that are over the ear , and have a really good noise blocking both ways .

I listen to all types of music , but i would love to get a little more bass , but not so that would blow my head ^^ .

Headphones will be connected to my PC .

Currently I own Logitech's G930 headset , and i never owned a pair of quality headphones so i dont know how good are these G930s. I assume they are bad ^^ .

My budget is max 170$ .

 

Thank you in advance .

post #25194 of 29491

Hey guys ,i needed a recomendation for an ad700 upgrade

 

ive been using ad700 for around 2 months ,but not satisfied with the overall voice reproduction and the the detail in sound

 

I listen to a lot of genres like  hip hop,reggae,classical,instrumental,instrumental, with the exception of metal

 

im satisfied with the ad700 bass,but am looking for a durable closed headphone with more depth,clarity and a richer feel to the sound as well as greater detail 

 

so far ive tried ath-m20,ath-m35,ath-m50,bose-ie2,bose-ae2,senn hd 201,and ath-ad700

as for the source ive been using mp3 320bitrate,flac,wav formats for music using a realtek soundcard on my toshiba laptop

 

since i stay in mumbai ,auditioning higher end headphones is a problem,

as for availability senns and audio technica are available otherwise i got to request a friend to get it for me

im ready to go upto to 370$ and dont want an amp as far as possible

 

so PLEASE ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATEDfrown.gif confused.gif frown.gif confused.gif

 

(please forgive me ,since im a newbie i haven't mastered the technical terms yet)

post #25195 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


I like the AKG, but is more in the bassy (but balanced) direction.  It's not are airy and detailed as the Shure.

 

I doubt that you will find them, but I also like the Japanese import Sony MDR-CD900ST.

I have a set of their twin brothers, the mdr-v7. While theyre very detailed i would hesitate to call them airy. Theyre not congested either, but the soundstage is rather tight and spherical. Given a listen to a set of mdr-v6 if you can. If you like the sound but want smoother highs, tighter more extended bass and all around better clarity its worth the trouble to import them.

 

Alright, so the following are on my list of cans to try this weekend:

  • Shure SRH940
  • AKG K550
  • Sony MDR-V6
  • Beyerdynamic DT 770

 

The Sony is on there, but I'm a little hesitant that a $65 headphone is going to deliver what I'm looking for. Still, no color lines, right? I've also put the DT 770 on there just because I'm interested in the comparison. It's probably not what I'm looking for at all, but I figure I should expose my ears to everything I can to refine my tastes. If anyone can think of any other decently closed-back, neutral, and relatively airy cans to try, I'm all ears.


The DT 770 is way off the mark, but it can't hurt to give it a listen and even to use it as a comfort benchmark.

 

The V-6 is worth listening to simply because it is a classic.  However to compare it to the MDR-CD900ST is almost like comparing a Chevette to a Corvette.

post #25196 of 29491

Hey guys 

i have been looking at headphones i want to get for myself as a preset for myself. My main issues are soundquality, comfort and portability. I also care about how the headphones look because i have a really small head. Listen to mostly trance, r &b and hiphop. Looking to spend around 150 if possible Have been mainly looking at 

 

1. ATH m50 

2. Ultrasone hfi 580

 

I think my ideal headphones would be the vmoda m100 but it is way out of price range. Is a lower price similar headphone?

post #25197 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTSHOTECHO View Post

Hey guys ,i needed a recomendation for an ad700 upgrade

 

ive been using ad700 for around 2 months ,but not satisfied with the overall voice reproduction and the the detail in sound

 

I listen to a lot of genres like  hip hop,reggae,classical,instrumental,instrumental, with the exception of metal

 

im satisfied with the ad700 bass,but am looking for a durable closed headphone with more depth,clarity and a richer feel to the sound as well as greater detail 

 

so far ive tried ath-m20,ath-m35,ath-m50,bose-ie2,bose-ae2,senn hd 201,and ath-ad700

as for the source ive been using mp3 320bitrate,flac,wav formats for music using a realtek soundcard on my toshiba laptop

 

since i stay in mumbai ,auditioning higher end headphones is a problem,

as for availability senns and audio technica are available otherwise i got to request a friend to get it for me

im ready to go upto to 370$ and dont want an amp as far as possible

 

so PLEASE ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATEDfrown.gif confused.gif frown.gif confused.gif

 

(please forgive me ,since im a newbie i haven't mastered the technical terms yet)


The Audio Technica ATH-AD900 is an excellent & efficient can that is currently $179 in the U.S. at Amazon.  It moves forward from the AD700 in all respects.

 

The Senn HD 558 and 598 are also excellent, but just a bit harder to drive.

post #25198 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shac View Post

Hi all !!

 

New to HF .

 

I am getting new headphones and could really need some advice on one .

 

Well to start of i need headphones that are over the ear , and have a really good noise blocking both ways .

I listen to all types of music , but i would love to get a little more bass , but not so that would blow my head ^^ .

Headphones will be connected to my PC .

Currently I own Logitech's G930 headset , and i never owned a pair of quality headphones so i dont know how good are these G930s. I assume they are bad ^^ .

My budget is max 170$ .

 

Thank you in advance .


Does your PC have a sound card?  If so what is it?

post #25199 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

 

Years and years ago when I knew nothing at all about headphones (granted, I comparatively know very little still), I picked up the Sennheiser HD280 Pro thinking I was getting the deal of the century. They were ok because I had never really put anything of value on my ears, but after having tried so many other things in the last several month, I can safely say there is no amount of money they are worth and it seems like the number of negative reviews for them validates this. Just remove them from your list and save your time.

Thanks. That brings me down to :

KRK KNS8400

NVX Audio XPT100

Shure HR440

Beyer Custom One Pro

Sound magic HP100

 

Can anyone scratch any others based on criteria of comfort, isolation, sound and portability?

post #25200 of 29491

Looking for super comfortable circumaural (preferably closed) headphones with nice bass for less than £150 that isn't the DT770 Pro or M-Audio Q40 (DT770s sounded..recessed(?) to me and Q40s clamp was quite bad). I have a Xonar DX sound card.

 

Thanks.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum