Seeking Headphone Recommendations
New user here but I've been lurking the boards for over a month or so now. I'm looking to upgrade my headphones, which won't be too hard considering I'm using HD280's currently. I've had the 280s for a few years. They've served their purpose, but I have been rather disappointed by them overall (small soundstage, very little bass, requires an amp to get to levels I would consider loud).
I will be primarily using these for gaming and music (about 60-70% gaming, rest music). I play various types of games, usually one at a time for a few months. Currently I'm mostly into FPS's (BF3).
As for music, I tend to listen to a lot of electronica, folksy stuff, post-rock, and any combination of those. I also listen to a good amount of experimental stuff. Some of my favorites sounds (when played through good equipment...) is deep, very synthesized, low Hz bass notes. Not punchy stuff like dubstep (actually kind of hate dubstep), but bass notes that get dragged out with minimal attacks and resonate a bit (e.g. DJ Trentemoller).
My desktop PC has a Creative Sound Blaster Z. This has a pretty solid HP amp within it and great fidelity. My current HD280s have to be set at some of the lowest settings for non-ear-shattering volume levels.
I do have a low end, but decent, 5.1 system (JVC TH-G31) hooked up to my PC also (through SPDIF), so I tend to use that when I want to watch movies or listen to music while I'm moving around. These headphones will be used solely when I'm sitting down at my computer (or my work computer, potentially).
Features Sought (in order of priority):
- Quality Bass. I'm not a bass-head, but I thoroughly enjoy very full, smooth sounding bass (some of my favorite sounds are found in down-tempo electronica, e.g. Trentemoller for a quick example)
- Great Soundstage. Mainly for gaming purposes, e.g. excellent positional cues.
- Comfort. Could be wearing these anywhere from 1-5 hours at a time. Would like to be able to achieve the 'forgot they're on' comfort level.
- Would highly prefer closed headphones, but I understand it's hard to come by closed 'phones that offer a large soundstage. Sound-leakage reduction is a bonus where possible.
- Drive-able without amp. I wouldn't be taking these out much, but I would like to use them at work occasionally and would prefer not to have to lug around an amp when I do so. They will be plugged into my soundcard at home, so that's not an issue overall.
Budget and Current Considerations:
My budget for some new headphones is up to $300, but will only hit the higher end of this if it's absolutely favorable to do so. I would like to stick around the $200 mark realistically.
Some headphones I've been eyeing thus far are as follows:
- AKG Q701 (refurbished or used)
- Beyerdynamic DT 990
- Sennheisser HD 598
- Logitech UE6000
- Buying two sets: AKG A(D)700 (for gaming) and ATH M50s for music
So, there you have it. Any input/opinions would be highly appreciated!