Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... - Page 1675  

post #25111 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

Hello everyone. Accidentally made a new post for this because me no do good. Rectifying that by placing it here instead.

 

I'm relatively new to the audiophile world, but have learned much from my short time here. The original reason I was brought here was to get the best audio setup on my PC for competitive gaming. I think I've achieved that. Started with the AD700 and X-Fi Titanium HD, then recently moved to the AKG K702 powered by the FiiO E09K. I couldn't be happier and now I'm thinking about grabbing a good pair of cans for general use. As much as I love (and I do mean LOVE) the AD700 and K702 for gaming, I'm not all that much of a fan of them for music and movies. The more I try out different headphones, the more my tastes are refining and here's what I've learned so far as well as some of the requirements I have for my next cans.

 

  • I will mostly be using these in my office and, therefore, am looking for a closed-back headphone.
  • I can power it with an amp and DAC if need be. Currently, I am using the FiiO E07K at work which seems to do quite well with my K702.
  • I love the soundstage and airiness of the AD700 and K702.
  • I don't like the polite of bass of the AD700 and, to a lesser extent, the K702 for music and movies.
  • I like the bass from the DT 990 Pro, but don't consider myself a bass head.
  • I'd like to spend no more than $300, but if there is something out there worth the price of admission, I'd consider it.
  • My tastes in music and movies absolutely run the entire gamut. Looking for an all-arounder.
  • It doesn't have to be portable, but I'd like to to be somewhat visually low key. This is a very low priority, though.

 

In general, I'm looking for a relatively airy, all-arounder, closed-back headphone that doesn't lack bass (but isn't bass heavy). I was going to start with the DT 770 Pro and go from there. I've also heard great things about the Denon D7000, but that's out of my price range for now. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts and see what you'd recommend.

 

Thanks! beerchug.gif

 

That's a tough one.  Many good closed headphones with decent bass lack soundstage and sound closed-in.  Denon D5000 have both and are extremely good headphones, very close to D7000 imo (D7000 have *slightly* more forward mids and tighter bass but worse/sharper treble).  You might also consider D2000 if you can find them.  K550 also do both pretty well, but are a bit less refined to my ears.  DT770 also have both but the bass is excessive, sloppy and one-toned unless you seriously amplify them and their treble is far too sharp for my ears.

post #25112 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by wredj10 View Post

 

Just so you know the the FA-011's are open.

 

Edit: Don't know why the quote doesn't work but they're still open:)


Edited by peter123 - 2/21/13 at 11:13am
post #25113 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by eucariote View Post

 

That's a tough one.  Many good closed headphones with decent bass lack soundstage and sound closed-in.  Denon D5000 have both and are extremely good headphones, very close to D7000 imo (D7000 have *slightly* more forward mids and tighter bass but worse/sharper treble).  You might also consider D2000 if you can find them.  K550 also do both pretty well, but are a bit less refined to my ears.  DT770 also have both but the bass is excessive, sloppy and one-toned unless you seriously amplify them and their treble is far too sharp for my ears.

 

Yeah, I know the closed-back is clashing with my want for an airy can. I'm not really asking for a closed-back can with the airiness of the K702. Rather, I think I'm asking for a closed headphone that is relatively airy. The D5000 is out of my budget for the time being. I've heard the K550 are rather airy for a closed-back set. That's one I will be looking into. That's a bit sad to hear about the DT770 because I've read the soundstage is quite nice on them.

 

Any other suggestions?


Edited by roguegeek - 2/21/13 at 12:00pm
post #25114 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


The HD 600 is an excellent choice, but needs an amp.

 

The M50 is a very bad choice.  With its "V" shaped EQ it is far from neutral and its mids are recessed.  Unlike the HD 600, it is a closed can that has a limited sound stage--which is not what you want for movies and gaming.

 

I assume that you know that open cans like the HD 600 leak sound and isolate poorly and that you are OK with that.

I am OK with sound leakage as they are purely for home use. What amp would you recommend for both music and gaming? I've looked at sound cards like the Xonar Essence STX and the Sound Blaster Zx.

 

Thanks for the help.

post #25115 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrinsion View Post

I am OK with sound leakage as they are purely for home use. What amp would you recommend for both music and gaming? I've looked at sound cards like the Xonar Essence STX and the Sound Blaster Zx.

 

Thanks for the help.


Will you listen to your music from your PC? In that case with a good digital onboard soundcard, I dont think you will need an exterior amp.

post #25116 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrinsion View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


The HD 600 is an excellent choice, but needs an amp.

 

The M50 is a very bad choice.  With its "V" shaped EQ it is far from neutral and its mids are recessed.  Unlike the HD 600, it is a closed can that has a limited sound stage--which is not what you want for movies and gaming.

 

I assume that you know that open cans like the HD 600 leak sound and isolate poorly and that you are OK with that.

I am OK with sound leakage as they are purely for home use. What amp would you recommend for both music and gaming? I've looked at sound cards like the Xonar Essence STX and the Sound Blaster Zx.

 

Thanks for the help.


My serious listening is to CD's and vinyl, so someone else, perhaps in the computer audio section of the forum, will have to help you with the selection of a sound card.

post #25117 of 29491

Hi!

 

Just want to ask what bluetooth headphones you can recommend.

 

Currently, I'm interested with Creative wp-450 and MEElectronics Air-Fi AF32.

 

My budget is $100 but if its worth the price no prob,

 

Thanks!

post #25118 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepcakez View Post

New here guys, first post.

Not a huge audiophile by any means, but I really do appreciate quality sound.

History: Bought a 5.1 HTIB when I went to college. Just upgraded to a 5.1 Definitive technology system (BP8040 towers, 8040 Center, 8040 surrounds). Really like the system, but I understand and can still identify better quality sound. Spent some time in Minnesota at the Bosch facility that produces the EV speakers that are used by the Dallas Cowboys, Kenney Chesney, etc. Was blown away by their quality.

 

Having said that, I'm looking to upgrade my desk setup. I'm currently using integrated audio from my motherboard and a Razer Carcharias headset since that's all I've needed until now.

 

Budget: Lets say $700 and I need a DAC and the headphones.

Music: 70's rock, 90's rock.

 

Things I've been looking at personally:

Sennheiser HD598

O2+ODAC

Schiit Magni/Modi


You're on the right track if you are seeking a neutral-ish rig that is good for your genres of music and most others (except for bass driven ones).

post #25119 of 29491

I am looking to replace some cans that have done me pretty good for about 6 years (Sony MDR's).

 

Budget: Up to $1000 - to include HPhones + DAC/AMP (if needed... which it likely will be)

 

Music: I listen to a wide variety of music with a combination of lossless and slight compression. In order of frequency; Alternative Rock and Metal, Techno/House/Dub/Dance, Trip Hop, Top 40, Jazz and Smooth Jazz (old and new), Classical, Theatrical Soundtracks, 60's - current Popular, Country, Big Band 30's-40's, Hymn and Choir, and even a Mozart Opera once in a while.

 

Movies: All types from DVD, Blu-ray, and streaming media, but with a focus on Action Adventure and Sci-Fi - Matrix and Star Wars to Phantom of the Opera

 

Games: PC big titles and PS3/PS4 - PC has SB PCIe 24 bit w/Platinum front of case Connection Bay - PS3/4 optical audio and HDMIv2/3

 

Interested In: Full-sized cans. Open or semi-open are fine. Sound isolation or canceling not needed. Good frequency response (roughly 15Hz-30kHz) with a THD less than .7db or so. Wired not wireless and with a minimum cord length (overall) of roughly 3m/10ft.

 

Sound: As my name suggests, I do suffer from moderate tinnitus, but it only becomes exacerbated with too much "schrill" or volume across extended periods. Unfortunately, I also suffer slight hearing impairment at some frequencies, but most notably in the audible range. Surprisingly though, I have a good ear for pitch/clarity when the sound is "delivered properly" to me.

 

I love my Music and Movies so having audio that "delivers properly" is important to me.

Lows - should be dynamic and punchy but not overwhelming and wild so as to drown out details of the upper frequencies.

Highs - can not be shrill, but need to be smooth and crisp

Mids - I prefer the "V" on music I listen to most frequently, so while I don't need exaggerated mids, they must be clean, smooth, and strong for the audible frequencies for me to enjoy dialogue and soft music at all volume ranges. This has been my biggest problem with the Sony's that are on the fritz, I frequently had to adjust volume down for the action, and up to hear talking with Movies.

 

Comfort: This is a big one for me as I frequently use them and across what can be very long periods (upwards of 12-16 hrs). I tend to run hot so generally prefer cloth/soft ear coverings that breath a little. Cans should have enough room for my whole med sized ears with minimal pressure, and be of a size small enough to accommodate my size 7-1/4 s-m head. I'm pushing 50 so my hair is thinning on top, so I don't care for the feel of hard plastic on my head. I must note that I detest both too much clamp or sweating in my ears. My typical environment is a nice comfy easy-chair.

 

I have been considering a bunch of choices, but depending on where I look, the ratings are all over the place. These will primarily be used for Music and Movies, and only used for PC gaming as I have a pretty good pair of Turtle Beach Earforce PX21s I use for PS3/4 gaming.

 

Here is my current short list and would love to hear from you folks on your recommendations -- particularly if I don't have one on my list a should have:

 

- Beyerdynamic DT 880 or 990 (250 ohm)

- Sennheiser HD 598 (specs look pretty close to the $$$ HD 600 and HD 650's)

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 PSM

- Shure SRH1440

 

And which wired DAC/ Desk-top-amp would you want to pair with them?

 

Thank you!


Edited by CapTinnitus - 2/21/13 at 1:54pm
post #25120 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

Hello everyone. Accidentally made a new post for this because me no do good. Rectifying that by placing it here instead.

 

I'm relatively new to the audiophile world, but have learned much from my short time here. The original reason I was brought here was to get the best audio setup on my PC for competitive gaming. I think I've achieved that. Started with the AD700 and X-Fi Titanium HD, then recently moved to the AKG K702 powered by the FiiO E09K. I couldn't be happier and now I'm thinking about grabbing a good pair of cans for general use. As much as I love (and I do mean LOVE) the AD700 and K702 for gaming, I'm not all that much of a fan of them for music and movies. The more I try out different headphones, the more my tastes are refining and here's what I've learned so far as well as some of the requirements I have for my next cans.

 

  • I will mostly be using these in my office and, therefore, am looking for a closed-back headphone.
  • I can power it with an amp and DAC if need be. Currently, I am using the FiiO E07K at work which seems to do quite well with my K702.
  • I love the soundstage and airiness of the AD700 and K702.
  • I don't like the polite of bass of the AD700 and, to a lesser extent, the K702 for music and movies.
  • I like the bass from the DT 990 Pro, but don't consider myself a bass head.
  • I'd like to spend no more than $300, but if there is something out there worth the price of admission, I'd consider it.
  • My tastes in music and movies absolutely run the entire gamut. Looking for an all-arounder.
  • It doesn't have to be portable, but I'd like to to be somewhat visually low key. This is a very low priority, though.

 

In general, I'm looking for a relatively airy, all-arounder, closed-back headphone that doesn't lack bass (but isn't bass heavy). I was going to start with the DT 770 Pro and go from there. I've also heard great things about the Denon D7000, but that's out of my price range for now. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts and see what you'd recommend.

 

Thanks! beerchug.gif


Here's the thing: if you like the sound signature of the DT 770 & 990, your right on the border of being a basshead lite.  Cans that are in that neighborhood are not airy (even relatively--when compared to neutral-ish and even near neutral-ish cans).  They are not good all-arounders--most have recessed mids and even those that don't have too much bass emphasis (perhaps another way to say recess mids & treble relative to bass) to be good with many/most genres.

 

Bottom line--you need to pick on which side of the divide you want to be.  With the Denons discontinued, there's really not much, if any, middle ground.

post #25121 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by mifero766 View Post

Hi!

 

Just want to ask what bluetooth headphones you can recommend.

 

Currently, I'm interested with Creative wp-450 and MEElectronics Air-Fi AF32.

 

My budget is $100 but if its worth the price no prob,

 

Thanks!

This section is for full sized headphones only.  There is a recommendations thread in the portable headphones, IEM section of the forum:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

post #25122 of 29491

Good day!

 

First time poster. I am very new to the audio scene and have been doing some research. Currently I am using cheap $20 headphones for music, movies and gaming on my PC.

 

Budget: Up to $500 for headphones and $300 for Amp/DAC

Will be used for: Music, Gaming, Movies

Listen to: All types of genres but mainly Classical, Pop, Rock, Country

Primary music preference: Classical and vocal music

 

Im not much into bass so something easy on my ears that will be smooth and crisp.

 

These will used at home on my PC.

I don't mind sound leaking. From reviews I've read, open-air has a more natural sound?

 

Thank you very much for your time!

 

-Reddy

post #25123 of 29491
Guys, I am shopping for a new headphone to be used for my computer. Mostly music (rock/metal) and ocassionally video games.

My requirements are the following:
- circumaural, so my whole ears fit inside
- good sound isolation (my pc is in the bedroom, and i'd like to be able to listen to loud music when my GF is asleep)
- durable (my headphones tend to fall of the table quite often and the plastics tend to break)
- not very sensitive - not sure how to explain this, but i have the Senns HD485, and i hear a lot of interference from my PC in them, while other cheaper headphones are dead silent
- replacable coiled cable would be a plus
- price range below 100 euros

Any ideas? I've been looking at the Sony MDR-V6, but they are not available in Slovakia and i also guess that they would be too small for my ears. The Audio-technica ATH-M30 is one of the candidates but it dont think it has replacable cables.

Thanks
post #25124 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapTinnitus View Post

I am looking to replace some cans that have done me pretty good for about 6 years (Sony MDR's).

 

Budget: Up to $1000 - to include HPhones + DAC/AMP (if needed... which it likely will be)

 

Music: I listen to a wide variety of music with a combination of lossless and slight compression. In order of frequency; Alternative Rock and Metal, Techno/House/Dub/Dance, Trip Hop, Top 40, Jazz and Smooth Jazz (old and new), Classical, Theatrical Soundtracks, 60's - current Popular, Country, Big Band 30's-40's, Hymn and Choir, and even a Mozart Opera once in a while.

 

Movies: All types from DVD, Blu-ray, and streaming media, but with a focus on Action Adventure and Sci-Fi - Matrix and Star Wars to Phantom of the Opera

 

Games: PC big titles and PS3/PS4 - PC has SB PCIe 24 bit w/Platinum front of case Connection Bay - PS3/4 optical audio and HDMIv2/3

 

Interested In: Full-sized cans. Open or semi-open are fine. Sound isolation or canceling not needed. Good frequency response (roughly 15Hz-30kHz) with a THD less than .7db or so. Wired not wireless and with a minimum cord length (overall) of roughly 3m/10ft.

 

Sound: As my name suggests, I do suffer from moderate tinnitus, but it only becomes exacerbated with too much "schrill" or volume across extended periods. Unfortunately, I also suffer slight hearing impairment at some frequencies, but most notably in the audible range. Surprisingly though, I have a good ear for pitch/clarity when the sound is "delivered properly" to me.

 

I love my Music and Movies so having audio that "delivers properly" is important to me.

Lows - should be dynamic and punchy but not overwhelming and wild so as to drown out details of the upper frequencies.

Highs - can not be shrill, but need to be smooth and crisp

Mids - I prefer the "V" on music I listen to most frequently, so while I don't need exaggerated mids, they must be clean, smooth, and strong for the audible frequencies for me to enjoy dialogue and soft music at all volume ranges. This has been my biggest problem with the Sony's that are on the fritz, I frequently had to adjust volume down for the action, and up to hear talking with Movies.

 

Comfort: This is a big one for me as I frequently use them and across what can be very long periods (upwards of 12-16 hrs). I tend to run hot so generally prefer cloth/soft ear coverings that breath a little. Cans should have enough room for my whole med sized ears with minimal pressure, and be of a size small enough to accommodate my size 7-1/4 s-m head. I'm pushing 50 so my hair is thinning on top, so I don't care for the feel of hard plastic on my head. I must note that I detest both too much clamp or sweating in my ears. My typical environment is a nice comfy easy-chair.

 

I have been considering a bunch of choices, but depending on where I look, the ratings are all over the place. These will primarily be used for Music and Movies, and only used for PC gaming as I have a pretty good pair of Turtle Beach Earforce PX21s I use for PS3/4 gaming.

 

Here is my current short list and would love to hear from you folks on your recommendations -- particularly if I don't have one on my list a should have:

 

- Beyerdynamic DT 880 or 990 (250 ohm)

- Sennheiser HD 598 (specs look pretty close to the $$$ HD 600 and HD 650's)

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 PSM

- Shure SRH1440

 

And which wired DAC/ Desk-top-amp would you want to pair with them?

 

Thank you!


With your very detailed and specific requirements and very specific hearing issues, there is no substitute for you listening to all the cans that you are serious about buying.

 

I will add that you have picked a very mixed bag of sound signatures in the list of cans that you have listed.  A couple, the M50 & DT 990, are borderline basshead lite cans.  Some including the M50 and DT 880 are bright.  The HD 598 is a very good can but is a full tier below the classic HD 600 & 650.

 

Going out on a limb, it's my bet that you will end up with the Senn or the Shure, although they do not fit your specific sound signature well at all.  They both live int the mids and are easy on the ears.  Neither is bassy and many consider them to be bass light.

post #25125 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddyxm View Post

Good day!

 

First time poster. I am very new to the audio scene and have been doing some research. Currently I am using cheap $20 headphones for music, movies and gaming on my PC.

 

Budget: Up to $500 for headphones and $300 for Amp/DAC

Will be used for: Music, Gaming, Movies

Listen to: All types of genres but mainly Classical, Pop, Rock, Country

Primary music preference: Classical and vocal music

 

Im not much into bass so something easy on my ears that will be smooth and crisp.

 

These will used at home on my PC.

I don't mind sound leaking. From reviews I've read, open-air has a more natural sound?

 

Thank you very much for your time!

 

-Reddy


The Classic cans with your budget are Beyer DT 880, Senn HD 600 & 650 and Grado RS 2i.  To that add the new comer, the HiFiMan HE 400.

 

Read about all of the here:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12

 

You need to select your can first and then decide on your amp/dac that works well with it.


Edited by KG Jag - 2/21/13 at 2:28pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum