or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 1602  

post #24016 of 29490
I'm looking for headphones that have good bass but not so much that it makes everything else unbalanced. I want headphones to listen to on the go and sometimes at home. I listen to christian rap. I'm thinking about getting the SHURE SRH750 DJ. Is that a good choice?
post #24017 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzAlmoN View Post

Get a Sennheiser HD598 with a Zalman clip on mic. Amazon has good prices for both of these. 

 

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Headphones-Accents/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359376423&sr=8-1&keywords=hd598

http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ/ref=pd_sim_e_6

 

These sennheisers are one of the most comfortable open ear headphones at this price range:):). If you want something cheaper check out the Audio Technica AD900.

 

Cheers!

 

One of the reviewers added this about the mic for better performance.

"I got this microphone because of all the good reviews it got. Some people say people can't hear them, etc. This is true until you turn up the mic volume and give it boost. You have to go into your Realtek HD settings for the microphone. Once in there, check all the noise, echo, directional suppression boxes. Then it will ask to calibrate and you have to read some sentences. Put the meter to about 40. Also in the settings there is a mic boost option. I used it all the way to the +30 decibals. Now, the mic works excellent and is a tolerable level and sounds very clear. Make sure you at least check echo suppression if you don't do the others, otherwise you will just hear static. But for the price this mic rocks. Beware the cord is double the length of a twin size bed."

I will definitely grab that mic, anything good for $10 is a worthy impulse buy!

Those headphones you suggested cost twice as much as the ones I was looking at, I compared the two with headphone.com's graph tool and the specs look almost exactly the same for every measurement :I I don't get it...

post #24018 of 29490

Hello! I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. I just need some opinions on what to get for headphones. 

 

My current setup is:

AKG Q701

Schiit Lyr

Jolida DAC

 

I'm planning to upgrade my headphones, my first choice is the Grado RS1i, second is the PS500 and the third will be the Denon AHD7100. I know the Denon is closed so its kind of a different animal, I just cant decide. 

 

I listen mostly to Classic Rock and the headphones will be used for light PC gaming and Movies.

 

Any type of advice is greatly appreciated. 

 

Thanks!c

post #24019 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecomet View Post

Hello! I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. I just need some opinions on what to get for headphones. 

 

My current setup is:

AKG Q701

Schiit Lyr

Jolida DAC

 

I'm planning to upgrade my headphones, my first choice is the Grado RS1i, second is the PS500 and the third will be the Denon AHD7100. I know the Denon is closed so its kind of a different animal, I just cant decide. 

 

I listen mostly to Classic Rock and the headphones will be used for light PC gaming and Movies.

 

Any type of advice is greatly appreciated. 

 

Thanks!c


I'd dump the Denon and go onto the Grado appreciation thread and chat with the folks there concerning which flavor of Grado is best for you.  Both the RS-1i and PS-500 are quality cans and both have their "fan" base.

 

I like both of them, but would go with the HE-500 instead.

post #24020 of 29490

Hey guys, longtime reader, once again.

 

I have a DAC (Focusrite Saffire 6 USB) through which my headphones will be powered. I produce electronic music (trance & progressive house), and I was looking into getting some headphones to mix/master a little bit. Obviously this isn't ideal, I have Yamaha HSM80's when I'm at home, but unfortunately, my room is not very conducive to monitors, so I'm looking for a pair of reference headphones to work on. 

 

I previously had the Shure SE450's that I used; unfortunately they are no more, so I went ahead and started looking into headphones rather than IEM's (is this even OK?). 

 

My choices have come down to:

 

Senheisser HD 650

Beyerdynamic DT880

AKG Q701 Quincy Jones

Hi-Fi HE-400's.

 

The HiFi's seemed a little out of my range, but if it's worth the extra money I could go for them. The DT's seem to be have the best 'natural' response. Unfortunately, I would be unable to get the 600 ohms since my DAC can't power them, so the 250 ohms would be the option there.

 

If there's any input, I'd love to have some; in addition, if IEM's are preferred, let me know if there are any replacements for the 435/450's that would surpass them. (I did take a look at the In-Ear Headphone chart that someone put together, and I did narrow a few down such at the 1964ears, but those are also hard to get ahold of).

post #24021 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


I'd dump the Denon and go onto the Grado appreciation thread and chat with the folks there concerning which flavor of Grado is best for you.  Both the RS-1i and PS-500 are quality cans and both have their "fan" base.

 

I like both of them, but would go with the HE-500 instead.

 

Agree with everything here.  Choosing the right tubes will also help you optimize their sound.  With the HE-500 I'd get the most transparent/detailed possible and with RS-1, the warmer the better.

post #24022 of 29490
Hello, i am looking for advice; i looked at the buying guide and looked at the options and quite frankly, the information there doesn't really mean much to me as i am right now only an audiophile to be... I want to buy my first audiophile can!
 
Correct me if i am wrong;
 
From the reading i have done thus far, i want Open Circumaural, since it align best with my needs;
 
My needs/interests:
 
-Comfortable for extensive sessions(sometimes all day); so cool and comfy and doesn't break my neck if possible. 
I will be sitting on a computer chair and i need to hear my surrounding (food cooking or someone creeping out behind me to murder me :P). Most of the time my surroundings are very quiet.
 
-Surround Movies and Virtual 3D games (Clear Distance/Depth and Direction, at the risk of sounding noob)
 
-Music; Electronic (Techno, trance, etc etc), Vocal and sometime Boom Boom, but what i really love are instrument such as Violin and Cellos (Apocalyptica, anyone?) I favor .wav and .flac but sometimes i listen to mp3, stream and radio.
 
So there you have it, i suppose i should start with an entry level but i like buying something that will last me a long long time and that will foremostly satisfy me. My budget is 40 to 200$~ including taxes and shipping, i live in Canada, Québec, close-ish to Ottawa (not close enough to be worth saving 20$ on shipping or whatever).
 
QUESTION 1: Is is true that 7.1 on headphone is a gimmick? Some say its pure ******** and stereo(along with some software) do just fine, but some other self-proclaimed expert says that a headphone that support it will have better distance and positional perception, is it true or false(and i can move on to more important things?)
 
QUESTION 2: Do i need to buy a audio card for the best result in my price range?
 
QUESTION 3: So what are the options i should look at? If possible i'd like to pay as little for the best product but if needed i can max my budget.
Thanks~!
post #24023 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virosa View Post

Hello, i am looking for advice; i looked at the buying guide and looked at the options and quite frankly, the information there doesn't really mean much to me as i am right now only an audiophile to be... I want to buy my first audiophile can!
 
Correct me if i am wrong;
 
From the reading i have done thus far, i want Open Circumaural, since it align best with my needs;
 
My needs/interests:
 
-Comfortable for extensive sessions(sometimes all day); so cool and comfy and doesn't break my neck if possible. 
I will be sitting on a computer chair and i need to hear my surrounding (food cooking or someone creeping out behind me to murder me :P). Most of the time my surroundings are very quiet.
 
-Surround Movies and Virtual 3D games (Clear Distance/Depth and Direction, at the risk of sounding noob)
 
-Music; Electronic (Techno, trance, etc etc), Vocal and sometime Boom Boom, but what i really love are instrument such as Violin and Cellos (Apocalyptica, anyone?) I favor .wav and .flac but sometimes i listen to mp3, stream and radio.
 
So there you have it, i suppose i should start with an entry level but i like buying something that will last me a long long time and that will foremostly satisfy me. My budget is 40 to 200$~ including taxes and shipping, i live in Canada, Québec, close-ish to Ottawa (not close enough to be worth saving 20$ on shipping or whatever).
 
QUESTION 1: Is is true that 7.1 on headphone is a gimmick? Some say its pure ******** and stereo(along with some software) do just fine, but some other self-proclaimed expert says that a headphone that support it will have better distance and positional perception, is it true or false(and i can move on to more important things?)
 
QUESTION 2: Do i need to buy a audio card for the best result in my price range?
 
QUESTION 3: So what are the options i should look at? If possible i'd like to pay as little for the best product but if needed i can max my budget.
Thanks~!

 

Takstar Hi2050. Outperformer of its price range. $70 new on eBay. 
I would've recommended you the DT990 Pro, but, considering shipping costs to Quebec, it would be too much. 
Besides, the Hi2050 is very similar to it in sound signature.
It does not need any kind of external amplification or any super sound card. 

post #24024 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro1137 View Post

 

Takstar Hi2050. Outperformer of its price range. $70 new on eBay. 
I would've recommended you the DT990 Pro, but, considering shipping costs to Quebec, it would be too much. 
Besides, the Hi2050 is very similar to it in sound signature.
It does not need any kind of external amplification or any super sound card. 

Is onboard sound fine? If i buy the Takstar Hi2050, i have plenty to buy a sound card that would do a good job, if it would be best, can i get a suggestion for that as well?


Edited by Virosa - 1/28/13 at 7:32pm
post #24025 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMANS 1 16 View Post

I'm looking for headphones that have good bass but not so much that it makes everything else unbalanced. I want headphones to listen to on the go and sometimes at home. I listen to christian rap. I'm thinking about getting the SHURE SRH750 DJ. Is that a good choice?

Ultrasone HFI 780 or PRO 750 would both be good. HFI 780 would be a better portable option, but the PRO 750 might have a wider soundstage. Ultrasones are known for bass, but these two (particularly the 780) are fairly balanced compared to some others.  You just have to keep an eye out for a good deal, as Amazon's prices jumped significantly lately. B&H are probably cheapest if you go that route, and they're decent to deal with.

I haven't heard the Shure.

post #24026 of 29490

Asked on another thread, but will repeat here.  I have the Hifiman HE-400, amped with Fii0 e17 as an entry set-up, but looking for a second set of headphones to balance the listening.  Tastes are classical and jazz, but also male and female vocals, world music, and movie soundtracks--looking for wide soundstage, good separation,strong mids, an neutrality.  At the moment am focused on the Shure 1840 or Sennheiser HD 650 as complements to the HE-400.  Have auditioned both, but only for brief stretches.  Like the sound of both.  Compared to the HE-400, both are comfortable, and sound significantly different to provide an alternative.  But eager to hear opinions.  Planning to upgrade the amp/DAC (looking at Fostex products at the moment) when budget permits, but would like to have two headphone options in place.  Thanks for any advice on these, or other options.

post #24027 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virosa View Post

Hello, i am looking for advice; i looked at the buying guide and looked at the options and quite frankly, the information there doesn't really mean much to me as i am right now only an audiophile to be... I want to buy my first audiophile can!
 
Correct me if i am wrong;
 
From the reading i have done thus far, i want Open Circumaural, since it align best with my needs;
 
My needs/interests:
 
-Comfortable for extensive sessions(sometimes all day); so cool and comfy and doesn't break my neck if possible. 
I will be sitting on a computer chair and i need to hear my surrounding (food cooking or someone creeping out behind me to murder me :P). Most of the time my surroundings are very quiet.
 
-Surround Movies and Virtual 3D games (Clear Distance/Depth and Direction, at the risk of sounding noob)
 
-Music; Electronic (Techno, trance, etc etc), Vocal and sometime Boom Boom, but what i really love are instrument such as Violin and Cellos (Apocalyptica, anyone?) I favor .wav and .flac but sometimes i listen to mp3, stream and radio.
 
So there you have it, i suppose i should start with an entry level but i like buying something that will last me a long long time and that will foremostly satisfy me. My budget is 40 to 200$~ including taxes and shipping, i live in Canada, Québec, close-ish to Ottawa (not close enough to be worth saving 20$ on shipping or whatever).
 
QUESTION 1: Is is true that 7.1 on headphone is a gimmick? Some say its pure ******** and stereo(along with some software) do just fine, but some other self-proclaimed expert says that a headphone that support it will have better distance and positional perception, is it true or false(and i can move on to more important things?)
 
QUESTION 2: Do i need to buy a audio card for the best result in my price range?
 
QUESTION 3: So what are the options i should look at? If possible i'd like to pay as little for the best product but if needed i can max my budget.
Thanks~!

 

You could find some DT880 headphones here for a few loonies more than your price range.  Be sure to play them out of your stereo amplifier for the desired effects..

post #24028 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


I'd dump the Denon and go onto the Grado appreciation thread and chat with the folks there concerning which flavor of Grado is best for you.  Both the RS-1i and PS-500 are quality cans and both have their "fan" base.

 

I like both of them, but would go with the HE-500 instead.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucariote View Post

 

Agree with everything here.  Choosing the right tubes will also help you optimize their sound.  With the HE-500 I'd get the most transparent/detailed possible and with RS-1, the warmer the better.

 

 

Thanks guys, I decided to get the RS1i since the HE-500 is not available in my local store.

post #24029 of 29490

Hi,

I'm going crazy trying to pick a pair of cans. I'm looking for closed, over the ear headphones. I commute in NYC and work in a loud office. I also wear glasses and have tons of piercings.. kinda a big head... so comfort is just as import as noise cancellation. I don't want to sacrifice sound quality too much but mostly I'll be using these to stream music online. I listen to doom/sludgy/stoner metal if that helps. Budget is up to $300.

 

Top choices so far are:

 

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

 

Sennheiser HD 380

AKG 550

Bose QuietComfort

 

What do you think?

 

Thanks for your help!!! gs1000.gif

post #24030 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernight781 View Post

 I don't want to sacrifice sound quality too much but mostly I'll be using these to stream music online.

 

You're contradicting yourself there. Please don't stream music online! It becomes all compressed and distorted. 320kbps MP3 or lossless is the way to go. If your source is bad, there's really no point in getting a good pair of headphones. In fact, good, high resolving headphones tend to make crappy sources sound even crappier.

 

Look into:

Beyerdynamic DT770/80

V-Moda M100

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum