or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 1598  

post #23956 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


No amp gretly limits you choices and knocks out the planar HE 400.

 

I--and probably most other regulars on this thread--have not heard the IEM you like.  I don't see how bassy cans would work well with classical, jazz, pop and even rock.  However, they'll be going on your head and not mine.

 

You should check out the Grado RS-2i, Alessandro MS-2i, Audio Technica ATH-ES10, Audio Technica ATHESW9A, Beyer DT 1350, Senn Momentum, and V-Moda M-100.

Thanks for that KG,

Yea I'm just entering the hi-fi world so first off I'm getting the headphones and I'll slowly but surely build my set up.

Yes although I listen to varied genres I still enjoy my bass in all of them.

Thank you for the recommendations as well,

I heard that the HE-400 has a low impendance? Does this still mean I cannot use them unamped?

post #23957 of 29490

So hey here's the deal, I recently bought the Colorfly C3 and was wondering what would be some good headphones to suit it.

I currently have Senheiser HD 280s, are they good enough? Is it worth upgrading?

 

This will be to listen to orchestral music mostly, violin concertos and the like.

Also isolation is important so closed is a must.

 

After looking around at reviews and posts on here I found a few seemingly well regarded headphones which were more or less in my budget:

AudioTechnica ATH-M50, Shure 840, Shure 940, AKG K550

How would these suit classical music?

 

I hear the K550s can have sound leakage on people with smaller heads. Is there a way to tell, without trying them on, if your head is to small? (no local shops are stocking these)

 

If there are any other headphones you think would work well with the C3 for classical music that would be great also. Anything above $300 is probably pushing it though.

Thanks :)

post #23958 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


No amp gretly limits you choices and knocks out the planar HE 400.

 

I--and probably most other regulars on this thread--have not heard the IEM you like.  I don't see how bassy cans would work well with classical, jazz, pop and even rock.  However, they'll be going on your head and not mine.

 

You should check out the Grado RS-2i, Alessandro MS-2i, Audio Technica ATH-ES10, Audio Technica ATHESW9A, Beyer DT 1350, Senn Momentum, and V-Moda M-100.

Thanks for that KG,

Yea I'm just entering the hi-fi world so first off I'm getting the headphones and I'll slowly but surely build my set up.

Yes although I listen to varied genres I still enjoy my bass in all of them.

Thank you for the recommendations as well,

I heard that the HE-400 has a low impendance? Does this still mean I cannot use them unamped?


You won't get the most out the HE-400 unless you amp it.

post #23959 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duhuj View Post

So hey here's the deal, I recently bought the Colorfly C3 and was wondering what would be some good headphones to suit it.

I currently have Senheiser HD 280s, are they good enough? Is it worth upgrading?

 

This will be to listen to orchestral music mostly, violin concertos and the like.

Also isolation is important so closed is a must.

 

After looking around at reviews and posts on here I found a few seemingly well regarded headphones which were more or less in my budget:

AudioTechnica ATH-M50, Shure 840, Shure 940, AKG K550

How would these suit classical music?

 

I hear the K550s can have sound leakage on people with smaller heads. Is there a way to tell, without trying them on, if your head is to small? (no local shops are stocking these)

 

If there are any other headphones you think would work well with the C3 for classical music that would be great also. Anything above $300 is probably pushing it though.

Thanks :)


I don't know your media player and most people here won't either.  What I can tell you is the M-50 with its recessed mids would be a very poor choice for classical music.  The other three are reasonable options, assuming your player can adequately drive them.  The 940 would be the most difficult.

 

You have to achieve a good seal with the K 550.  Probably only putting them on your head will tell you one way or anther.

post #23960 of 29490

People still doesn't know colorlfy c3? there is a whole thread about it in the portable source sub forum

post #23961 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


You won't get the most out the HE-400 unless you amp it.


So what would you recommend to amplify the he-400?
Thanks
post #23962 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrias View Post

People still doesn't know colorlfy c3? there is a whole thread about it in the portable source sub forum


There are threads here on many different pieces of equipment.  Media players don't interest eveyone on a headphones site.  A particular media player even less so.

post #23963 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


You won't get the most out the HE-400 unless you amp it.


So what would you recommend to amplify the he-400?
Thanks


Desktop or portable?

 

What's your amp budget?

post #23964 of 29490


Currently, I've been looking at:

phillips HP 890 (now unavailble)
Phillips HP 910... I hope these run on the same principle as the old HP250s.
JVC HARX 700
JFC HARX 900

Looking for thick padded and coloured sound, as oppoesd to pure clarity and accuracy. Would also like it to be fairly flat response and represent the as much of the audio range (low bass to high highs) as possible. I prefer an open design. Very open to other suggestions and a somewhat flexible budget.


Edited by 5had0w - 1/27/13 at 4:45am
post #23965 of 29490

How would you compare the HE-400 with the Senn's 600 and 650? Because I have a large, good amp from denon that will power any headphones and I really don't know if I should go for the HE-400 or the 600's Senns. I want to listen to Rock (from my vinyls :3) and classical music? Sometimes I might throw in some bass heavy music but generally I want them vocals and guitars to sound well with a possibility for classical music. Greetings!:)

post #23966 of 29490
So, I'm a long time lurker on head-fi and can't decide what to try next... I'm looking to have a headphone mainly for use at work, but I would bring these to school and everywhere else as well. I have a hd650 for use at home. I want these to be transportable and would really like them to be open cans. They will be paired with a c421/odac rig used mainly with lossless files. At the moment, sr225i's are being used for this purpose, but I want to try something different and possibly swap them out if I find something better...
 
I'm not quite sure what sound signature I desire, but I can say that I really like both my HD650's and sr225i's. I'm considering eventually replacing the sr225i with the ms-pros after saving up, but I'm open to suggestions (the ms-pro marks the most I'm willing to spend, but of course, the cheaper the better...) As for music genres I tend to listen to, my last.fm account should help. I could say that I mainly listen to electronica and alternative/indie rock, but I tend to explore other genres as well.
 
Other full-sized cans I've tried were the hfi-780 (swapped out for sr225i,) dt770 (250ohm,) and hd558.
I was only able to use the hd650, the hfi-780 and dt770 back to back. And I preferred the hd650 and dt770 over the hfi-780, but I only borrowed the dt770's and wouldn't really want them, because I'd rather have open headphones.
Also, I had the hd558 and hd650 together for a few days and definitely loved the hd650's more.
 
Thanks in advance!
post #23967 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnom View Post

Thanks for that KG,

Yea I'm just entering the hi-fi world so first off I'm getting the headphones and I'll slowly but surely build my set up.

Yes although I listen to varied genres I still enjoy my bass in all of them.

Thank you for the recommendations as well,

I heard that the HE-400 has a low impendance? Does this still mean I cannot use them unamped?

 

You can but trust me it does not sound that great and the sound is a bit dull, lacking some life. Even with a simple Fiio E11 ($50) the bass/treble/mids they produced was much better in quality and quantity. I now have the Schiit stack and the headphones definitely perform much better with that extra juice over the E11. I just plugged in my HE400 into my iPhone just to try again, and the volume is not that loud and the music just doesn't feel alive/musical/energetic without the amp.

post #23968 of 29490

Just recently purchased my first headphones and amp.

Got the DT-770 32OHM AE & Schiit Magni

I've only had these for a day, and I'm in love with them!

What is the next step-up from these (having a similar sound, but obviously better)  + being open? 

The HE-400 has caught my attention. I know I've only had headphones for a day, but now I am addicted and want more!

Of course I'll have to save up for the upgrade, but planning to sell the AE and upgrade

post #23969 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadn1 View Post

hi there im looking to buy 2 headphones (open and closed) within the $300-400 range each. One for home and the other for portability.
I will be mainly using them with my laptop and iphone 5 (with bit rate of 320 on almost most of the music) and i plan to buy a dac/amp in the future but not now.

While i am fairly new to the hifi and can consider myself to be a bit of a noob, i have been snopping around the hifi forums about headphones for the last 3 months, although it wasnt until yesterday that i bothered to sign up. My exposure to good quality audiogears are quite limited, (ue 400, cx 300 ii) for iems and denon hd1100, senn hd 202.

I listen to mainly all kind of rock and metal music starting from the alternative (radiohead, alter bridge, foo fighters, soad) to the progressive (porcupine tree/anathema)to the psychedelic(pink floyd, mars volta, tool, apc, at the drive in) to the metal core(underoath, killswitch engage, all that remains, as i lay dying) to heavy and thrash metal (iron maiden, pantera, led zeppelin, megadeth, slayer) to the death melodic (in flames, bodom, at the gates, insomnium,dark tranquility) to the death progressive (opeth my fav band, dan swano, edge of society, ) to the folk/doom metal (ulver, agalloch, in extremo, saltatio mortis, eluveitei,empyrium, katatonia, paradise lost, my dying bride) , celtic metal (cruachan, primordial) and some post metal bands such as alcest, les discrets and some fusion bands such as dead can dance .

i know the range of music is quite large and it is nt possible to cover them all, but as long as the headphone does some justice to the fast paced riffs and to the melody it should be fine. please bear in mind that i live in australia (im going to update my profile very soon) and the retail price of headphones and for that matter any electronics is out of the world even though the aussie dollar is stronger than the us now.

I know grados are universally referred here for rock musics, but how abt metals? how abt the denon hd 2000 and the dt 770-880-990 series?

thanks for taking time to read my 1st post. Cheers mate

ps: i love my denon hd 1100 and i got it at a killer deal too. £40 from uk and had my frnd ship it to aus for another £10. i am absolutely loving it :d

no metalheads around here to help my query? 😣
post #23970 of 29490

hi, i'm new comer. after reading this forum. i decide to sort this list

 

monoprice 8323
SOMIC MH463
Panasonic RP-HTF600
JVC HA-S500

 

i'm looking for bass heavy headphone, and under $50 if possible

thanks a lot guys for helping

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum