or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 1586  

post #23776 of 29490

Looking for good headphones, right now I just have $20 earbuds. My criteria:

 

1) Price: $75-150

2) What I'll use it on: Laptop/Desktop mostly, iPod rarely, guitar practice amp maybe.

3) Comfortable for big ears, I want them to wrap around my ears!\

4) What I listen to: Progressive and Thrash Metal, and Classical.

5) Of course, good sound quality, whatever that means!


Edited by Baroque1 - 1/22/13 at 10:20pm
post #23777 of 29490
Looking for new Over-Ear headphone

Budget: 200$
Use: Movies, Music (i need somthing that is good with every genre although i listen to pop most of the time)
Used in: (mostly in-door use) iPhone/iPad, iMac
Comfort: EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE and can be used for long hours

I prefer not to use an amp

I saw the soundmagic hp100 review and i liked everything about it i felt like it was designed for me :P

But i need the Pro's advice on that

What do you think is best for me ? And why ?
Edited by K4Sait - 1/23/13 at 3:04am
post #23778 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy454 View Post


I was under the impression that the pro700's was more bass and than clarity. how would the lp2 compare?


Yes more bass and less clarity. Never tried the LP2 sorry

post #23779 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4Sait View Post

Looking for new Over-Ear headphone

Budget: 200$
Use: Movies, Music (i need somthing that is good with everey genre although i listen to pop most of the time)
Used in: (mostly in-door use) iPhone/iPad, iMac
Comfort: EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE and can be used for long hours

I prefer not to use an amp

I saw the soundmagic hp100 review and i liked everything about it i felt like it was designed for me :P

But i need the Pro's advice on that

What do you think is best for me ? And why ?


Try Creative Aurvana Live/Denon D1000

post #23780 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4Sait View Post

Looking for new Over-Ear headphone

Budget: 200$
Use: Movies, Music (i need somthing that is good with everey genre although i listen to pop most of the time)
Used in: (mostly in-door use) iPhone/iPad, iMac
Comfort: EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE and can be used for long hours

I prefer not to use an amp

I saw the soundmagic hp100 review and i liked everything about it i felt like it was designed for me :P

But i need the Pro's advice on that

What do you think is best for me ? And why ?


Are you OK with an open can (they leak sound)?  If so, you should consider the Sony MDR MA-900.

 

I have not heard the Soundmagic.  It seems to have good review, although the number appears to be limited.

post #23781 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


Are you OK with an open can (they leak sound)?  If so, you should consider the Sony MDR MA-900.

 

I have not heard the Soundmagic.  It seems to have good review, although the number appears to be limited.


Ah yes MA900 is a nice choice too

post #23782 of 29490
Im finally decided on two headphones
Beyerdynamic DT 235 and Sennheiser HD 219 .
Can anyone recommend me which to choose and why?
post #23783 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hale View Post

I'm not really worried about size, I just need a pair that will be effectively used by an iPod/laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


The 880 and 990 are too big for portable use.
post #23784 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by punks15 View Post


Try Creative Aurvana Live/Denon D1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


Are you OK with an open can (they leak sound)?  If so, you should consider the Sony MDR MA-900.

I have not heard the Soundmagic.  It seems to have good review, although the number appears to be limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punks15 View Post


Ah yes MA900 is a nice choice too

Thanks guys, i don't mind the sound leakage although i prefer it closed

In term of sound quality what is the best for me ?
post #23785 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleinzel View Post

 

Thank you. Seems like I can't go wrong with the HD-600 nor the HD-650.

 

At the moment I tend towards the HD 650...

 

 

I could wait til the end of march and invest in something bigger like a Grado GS1000i or an Audeze LCD-2, Beyerdynamic T1 or HD800, but I'm kinda not sure, because there's no way to give them a listen in my country... (anyone knows a good store in switzerland?)

 

 

Go for the higher end models only if you intend to invest a lot of money into the amps later.

 

As for HD600 / 650 / Q701.  I have both HD650 and Q701, and while both sound great, I'd say that you cant pick the best one. Now, I prefer the old K701 over both for a lot of music, like classical ,acoustic, vocal, chamber music, etc, and I think in terms of overall sound resolution, clarity, detail, soundstage, transient response, and simply how "high end" the sound is, K701 are above both of them. As for Q701's and HD650's, Senns have slightly more mid bass than Q701's, but less sub bass and less texture, in most cases you dont notice the difference. Mids have considerably more texture and detail on Q701's in my opinion. When a vocal sounds totally smooth and perfect on HD650's,  on Q701's you might notice the voice is raspy, rough, you might hear cracking, etc. thats not apparent on HD650's.  That is even more prounounced on the K701's. Highs on all three are about the same to me in terms of detail, clarity, sparkle, whatever you wanna call it. Its only a bit higher in volume on Q701's than on the HD650's, but dont think for a moment that HD650's have muffled treble. I though that before hearing them too, and I was shocked by how much treble they have. 

 

Soundstage on Q701's....hmmm..I dont like it. Its artificialy wide with no depth. HD650's have a smaller soundstage (still very big), but more 3D, with stronger center image.  Now K701's (old model, dont forget) have considerably larger, more airy and deep soundstage than either of them.

 

But at the end...what you have to remember, and prevent yourself from thinking otherwise, ALL of them sound very similar. When someone is describing differences between them, you might get a feeling like those differences are big. No, its small. Music will still sound almost absolutely the same, vocals will still be virtually the same, instruments the same, etc, etc.  Differences are minor, and you really cant go wrong with either.  To be perfectly honest with you, now that I have HD650's, Q701's, K701's and DT880's, the biggest thing that makes me choose which one of them I will listen to is the wearing comfort of a headphones...meaning, low clamping force, no painful sports, and very light weight,  and thats where K701 is again #1, then DT880, then HD650's

post #23786 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroque1 View Post

Looking for good headphones, right now I just have $20 earbuds. My criteria:

 

1) Price: $75-150

2) What I'll use it on: Laptop/Desktop mostly, iPod rarely, guitar practice amp maybe.

3) Comfortable for big ears, I want them to wrap around my ears!\

4) What I listen to: Progressive and Thrash Metal, and Classical.

5) Of course, good sound quality, whatever that means!

Open or closed (open leaks sound and does not isolate as well but often give better soundquality compared to closed in the same pricerange)?

post #23787 of 29490

any one tried senn momentum with dacport LX? how is the sound?

post #23788 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleinzel View Post

 

What about the Logitech UE 6000?

 

It has decent isolation (if its not enough, active noise canceling for better isolation, but also a little bit more bass), is cheap, foldable and has a pretty good sound for its price. Checkout the Review on innerfidelity.

My dad bought the bluetooth edition and we were pretty shocked about how well it performed. Definitly worth a try.

 

I actually liked these (UE6000) when I demo'd them at Bestbuy (strictly and only for when I play rap/hip hop/dubstep.. thanks to the bass it was puttin out) .. is there something that offers a similar sound but is less pricey than it's sticker price $200?

What about bass modding the Senn's? (HD428 $50) in particular.. would this really transform a boring (for rap/dub) headphone into something with some punch? Trying to stay within a reasonable budget because truth be told).. I don't have money to spend like that (upcoming son's bday, v-day, anniversary all in one month, ugh.. the non-selfish/single life of an audiohead must be fun)

post #23789 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by RochRx7 View Post

 

I actually liked these (UE6000) when I demo'd them at Bestbuy (strictly and only for when I play rap/hip hop/dubstep.. thanks to the bass it was puttin out) .. is there something that offers a similar sound but is less pricey than it's sticker price $200?

What about bass modding the Senn's? (HD428 $50) in particular.. would this really transform a boring (for rap/dub) headphone into something with some punch? Trying to stay within a reasonable budget because truth be told).. I don't have money to spend like that (upcoming son's bday, v-day, anniversary all in one month, ugh.. the non-selfish/single life of an audiohead must be fun)

When I modded my 428 the bass did get bigger but it was bloated and uncontrolled, the mids and high suffered because of the bigger bass, and vocal sounded distant. I did not do the dubstep mod, I think that might had helped but it wasn't worth my time. 

I think the monoprice hi-fi dj @ $25 is better than a modded HD428 for $50.

post #23790 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post

When I modded my 428 the bass did get bigger but it was bloated and uncontrolled, the mids and high suffered because of the bigger bass, and vocal sounded distant. I did not do the dubstep mod, I think that might had helped but it wasn't worth my time. 

I think the monoprice hi-fi dj @ $25 is better than a modded HD428 for $50.


Really, that's totally the opposite of what I got.  Did you remove the whole tape and replace it with Micropore?  Then just leave one hole open?  I also put on velours.   I notice no bloat at all, nice and deep hard hitting bass and the mids/highs didn't change at all.

The soundstage is even a tad wider....Humm!!!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum