or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 1585  

post #23761 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by disaster8tio View Post

So no response at all on my earlier post. I'll try again.

 

This time i'm more into the Hifiman HE-300 or is it outdated? Will be driven through a Fiio E10 wich I read doesn't suit so well. Might not be a good choice after all. Or should i not worry? I live in Sweden so that headphone needs to be ordered from Germany. 

 

Other choice is the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro Limited Edition. This can be bought in Sweden. And yes it is much cheaper.

 

Suggestions? Not a fan of Sennheiser tho.

 

Those are very different headphones.  What kind of sound are you looking for?  Do you need a closed headphone?  Closed headphones almost always sacrifice sound quality, I wouldn't get DT770 LE unless you really need them.

 

A poster a few pages back did not like HE400 with metal because their sound was too soft and they were too much like his Senns, which he didn't like either.  I recommended Grado SR60/80 with flat pads that cut the treble very effectively- they are still lively and brilliant with electric guitar.

post #23762 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman1211 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleinzel View Post

I'm deciding between a Sennheiser HD 600 or HD 650.

 

First off:

 

I own a Q701, which I really enjoy and I really intend to keep. I just think sometimes it sounds a bit thin, especially for movies and electronical music. IF I watch a movie, I don't need to analyse the OST. That's why i want something more fun to listen to ocassionally.

 

 

The HD 600/650 are exactly what i can afford at the moment.

 

I read a little bit about it and it seems like the Q701 is thin compared to the HD 650 which has more bass and the HD 600 should be in between them.

 

 

Now is my question, how big is the difference between a Q701 to HD600 and Q701 to HD650.

 

I think, the best way is, to buy the HD650, and if I think it has too much bass, I could sell both the Q701 and the HD650 and buy a HD600.

 

If I buy a HD600 now, I have the feeling, that it might sound too similar to the Q701.

 

So, my question:

 

- How much is the difference between the three headphones. Is a HD-600 basically a Q701, or are there some differences?

 

Please help me, I want a new toy ^^

 

Thanks in Advance 

 



The HD 600 doesn't sound like a Q701, both are quite neutral and balanced but how they present audio is a lot different, the AKGs are brighter and airy, while the HD 600 is darker and warmer. If you are looking for a full sound, both the HD 600 and HD 650 will fit your needs, they don't sound thin at all. They are not quite as quick and detailed as the Q701 and how their soundstage done is completely different, there are various other differences as well. I found the HD 650s bass quite substantial but never found it too much and the headphone was bordering on too dark on the one I heard, overall I preferred the neutrality and less dark nature of the HD 600 when I auditioned both. I found the HD 600 and HD 650 less fun than the Q701 in my opinion but many people have different opinions on that. Which of the three do I like the best? I can't answer that as I don't know any of them very well and maybe if I spent more time with all of them I would have an idea of that.


There are a great many threads here and elsewhere comparing and contrasting the HD-600 & 650.

 

The 600 is a bit faster.  The 650 has more bass and will be the complimentary can to the Q701.

post #23763 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


There are a great many threads here and elsewhere comparing and contrasting the HD-600 & 650.

 

The 600 is a bit faster.  The 650 has more bass and will be the complimentary can to the Q701.

I knew that the 600 is faster and the 650 has a little more bass.

 

 

I wanted to know if the HD-600 has enough difference to the Q701 to own both.

post #23764 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleinzel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


There are a great many threads here and elsewhere comparing and contrasting the HD-600 & 650.

 

The 600 is a bit faster.  The 650 has more bass and will be the complimentary can to the Q701.

I knew that the 600 is faster and the 650 has a little more bass.

 

 

I wanted to know if the HD-600 has enough difference to the Q701 to own both.


No one can make that judgment for you.  It's dependent on personal preference, budget and other factors.

post #23765 of 29490

     Hey guys, looking for new phones for the other half. Shes an audio lover and wants to bump up from her SR-60s. Budgets 400-1000$ USD, looking for something like the denon esque sound signature, fun, able to pump bass, and good highs and mids as well. Looking for closed preferably, doesnt need to be sound proof but hopefully not where everyone in the house hears her while she hears them.

 

     On that same note comfort is important quite important. Something more comfortable than the grados stock pads. Wood cups/looks are also wanted a good bit, she enjoys the looks of basically any wood cups like the denons, audio technica ath-1000s, etc. She will be using for home only, and with an amp and dac as well, so ohm/drive is not super important. However if they are super hard to drive could also use a quick amp reccomendation if so. Just if you know it off hand. 

                                                                                                                                                                Thanks, and cheers, DD. 

post #23766 of 29490
i going to try this again, cause my recent purchase of the HDJ-2000 from pioneer did actually rock my boat. I had the chance to listen to the logitech ue 6000 and didnt care for the sound quality. I didnt feel the bass and they didnt get loud enough.
 
This is what im looking for...
 
1. Music type-rap and r&b
2. Price-under $200
3. Source-Galaxy Note 2
4. Additional options-
 Removal cord
 Clarity
 Deep punchy bass
 Ability to play loud without amp but improve with a fiio e6 or e11
 
post #23767 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathdeisel View Post

     Hey guys, looking for new phones for the other half. Shes an audio lover and wants to bump up from her SR-60s. Budgets 400-1000$ USD, looking for something like the denon esque sound signature, fun, able to pump bass, and good highs and mids as well. Looking for closed preferably, doesnt need to be sound proof but hopefully not where everyone in the house hears her while she hears them.

 

     On that same note comfort is important quite important. Something more comfortable than the grados stock pads. Wood cups/looks are also wanted a good bit, she enjoys the looks of basically any wood cups like the denons, audio technica ath-1000s, etc. She will be using for home only, and with an amp and dac as well, so ohm/drive is not super important. However if they are super hard to drive could also use a quick amp reccomendation if so. Just if you know it off hand. 

                                                                                                                                                                Thanks, and cheers, DD. 

 

Why not Denon D5000?  They have the Denon sound tongue.gif, are very comfortable and are among the best looking wooden headphones imo.  They sound amazing for a closed headphone, the best stock closed headphones under $800 imo if you want strong bass.  I like them as much as D7000 because they have less sharp treble of the two.  You would have to get them used tho since they're discontinued (silly Denon).  Edition 8 have better mids, imaging and tighter bass, but those aren't wooden, are less comfortable and are ridiculously expensive  

post #23768 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by eucariote View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathdeisel View Post

     Hey guys, looking for new phones for the other half. Shes an audio lover and wants to bump up from her SR-60s. Budgets 400-1000$ USD, looking for something like the denon esque sound signature, fun, able to pump bass, and good highs and mids as well. Looking for closed preferably, doesnt need to be sound proof but hopefully not where everyone in the house hears her while she hears them.

 

     On that same note comfort is important quite important. Something more comfortable than the grados stock pads. Wood cups/looks are also wanted a good bit, she enjoys the looks of basically any wood cups like the denons, audio technica ath-1000s, etc. She will be using for home only, and with an amp and dac as well, so ohm/drive is not super important. However if they are super hard to drive could also use a quick amp reccomendation if so. Just if you know it off hand. 

                                                                                                                                                                Thanks, and cheers, DD. 

 

Why not Denon D5000?  They have the Denon sound tongue.gif, are very comfortable and are among the best looking wooden headphones imo.  They sound amazing for a closed headphone, the best stock closed headphones under $800 imo if you want strong bass.  I like them as much as D7000 because they have less sharp treble of the two.  You would have to get them used tho since they're discontinued (silly Denon).  Edition 8 have better mids, imaging and tighter bass, but those aren't wooden, are less comfortable and are ridiculously expensive  


The Denons are good suggestions.  You might also consider the Audeze LCD-2, which are at the top of your budget.  They aren't that difficult to drive, but will require an amp with some power.

post #23769 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy454 View Post

i going to try this again, cause my recent purchase of the HDJ-2000 from pioneer did actually rock my boat. I had the chance to listen to the logitech ue 6000 and didnt care for the sound quality. I didnt feel the bass and they didnt get loud enough.
 
This is what im looking for...
 
1. Music type-rap and r&b
2. Price-under $200
3. Source-Galaxy Note 2
4. Additional options-
 Removal cord
 Clarity
 Deep punchy bass
 Ability to play loud without amp but improve with a fiio e6 or e11
 


SRH750DJ, or if you still want more and more bass, Pro700MKII. Little out of budget but worth it

post #23770 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by eucariote View Post

 

Why not Denon D5000?  They have the Denon sound tongue.gif, are very comfortable and are among the best looking wooden headphones imo.  They sound amazing for a closed headphone, the best stock closed headphones under $800 imo if you want strong bass.  I like them as much as D7000 because they have less sharp treble of the two.  You would have to get them used tho since they're discontinued (silly Denon).  Edition 8 have better mids, imaging and tighter bass, but those aren't wooden, are less comfortable and are ridiculously expensive  

I think shes wanting different headphones than my Denons(I own the D5000s). Plus the discontinuity of them kind of makes them harder to get and whatnot. And the edition 8s dont seem to be such a great value for the money, and seem exactly like you said, expensive. In terms of sound the most important part really is bass, highs and mids in terms of sparkly/recessed or whichever you prefer isnt quite as important as some good bass. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


The Denons are good suggestions.  You might also consider the Audeze LCD-2, which are at the top of your budget.  They aren't that difficult to drive, but will require an amp with some power.

True, she tried the LCD-2s at a meet, but wasnt super impressed. However I think shes going to try to get into the LCD-2 borrow program going around soonish. Budget wise its not super important, she knows that whatever ones she buys will either last a lifetime, if not close to it, or shell sell it later and make some money back atleast. 

 

She really likes the looks of the Audio Technica ATH-W1000x, how do those sound in comparison any idea? I recommended the beyerdynamic DT-880s but she had some beyerdynamics in an audio class and wasnt super impressed. 


Edited by Deathdeisel - 1/22/13 at 7:53pm
post #23771 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathdeisel View Post

I think shes wanting different headphones than my Denons(I own the D5000s). Plus the discontinuity of them kind of makes them harder to get and whatnot. And the edition 8s dont seem to be such a great value for the money, and seem exactly like you said, expensive. In terms of sound the most important part really is bass, highs and mids in terms of sparkly/recessed or whichever you prefer isnt quite as important as some good bass. 

True, she tried the LCD-2s at a meet, but wasnt super impressed. However I think shes going to try to get into the LCD-2 borrow program going around soonish. Budget wise its not super important, she knows that whatever ones she buys will either last a lifetime, if not close to it, or shell sell it later and make some money back atleast. 

 

 

In that case the two best options would be D7000 & LCD-2 bamboo.  D7000 do have deeper, more powerful and articulated bass than D5000.  They also manage to look better than D5000 and have the advantage of not being D5000.  But if she could tolerate an open headphone LCD-2 are technically superior to D7000 in every way.  Their bass is far more balanced and realistic and their mids are smooth, integrated and (ahem) present.  Their neutral presentation admittedly makes them a less 'fun' headphone, but for a lifetime investment, I think that she should go through the requisite brain burn-in and learn to enjoy their more natural sound.  Colored headphones get old fast imo, and they are not versatile for different types of music.  Over time the intensity of the D7000 made them more and more intolerable.  LCD-2 work the other way- they become more enjoyable the more you listen to them and everything else begins to sound like a funhouse mirror.

post #23772 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by punks15 View Post


SRH750DJ, or if you still want more and more bass, Pro700MKII. Little out of budget but worth it
I was under the impression that the pro700's was more bass and than clarity. how would the lp2 compare?
post #23773 of 29490

Full-Size Rec Thread Assistants,

 

I've been on head-fi for a while and have reached a comfortable desktop/home setup (LCD2.2, ALO Pan Am/Passport). However, I have been looking to purchase a "beater" setup for school. I'm not worried about things getting stolen or bashed, I just want something that can be put into and left in a backpack with a clear conscience. One of my head-fier friends has really been pushing for me to get CIEMs, but I'm not to sure I want to do that, as I greatly prefer wearing full sized cans. I listen mostly to classical (Romantic) and rock (classic), would love a good closed can with decent isolation, for around $600. Don't worry about squeezing a DAC/amp into the budget, as I can always add to that budget later. So far, I've been thinking something like the K550, but want something a bit "better." The DX000 series doesn't isolate well enough for my use, as listening may take place in such locations as the school bus and library. Oh, and it would be great to use these HPs as part of a Beats "conversion" kit. Maybe Fidelio L1? 

post #23774 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatmanSize48 View Post

Full-Size Rec Thread Assistants,

 

I've been on head-fi for a while and have reached a comfortable desktop/home setup (LCD2.2, ALO Pan Am/Passport). However, I have been looking to purchase a "beater" setup for school. I'm not worried about things getting stolen or bashed, I just want something that can be put into and left in a backpack with a clear conscience. One of my head-fier friends has really been pushing for me to get CIEMs, but I'm not to sure I want to do that, as I greatly prefer wearing full sized cans. I listen mostly to classical (Romantic) and rock (classic), would love a good closed can with decent isolation, for around $600. Don't worry about squeezing a DAC/amp into the budget, as I can always add to that budget later. So far, I've been thinking something like the K550, but want something a bit "better." The DX000 series doesn't isolate well enough for my use, as listening may take place in such locations as the school bus and library. Oh, and it would be great to use these HPs as part of a Beats "conversion" kit. Maybe Fidelio L1? 

 

What about the Logitech UE 6000?

 

It has decent isolation (if its not enough, active noise canceling for better isolation, but also a little bit more bass), is cheap, foldable and has a pretty good sound for its price. Checkout the Review on innerfidelity.

My dad bought the bluetooth edition and we were pretty shocked about how well it performed. Definitly worth a try.

post #23775 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatmanSize48 View Post

Full-Size Rec Thread Assistants,

 

I've been on head-fi for a while and have reached a comfortable desktop/home setup (LCD2.2, ALO Pan Am/Passport). However, I have been looking to purchase a "beater" setup for school. I'm not worried about things getting stolen or bashed, I just want something that can be put into and left in a backpack with a clear conscience. One of my head-fier friends has really been pushing for me to get CIEMs, but I'm not to sure I want to do that, as I greatly prefer wearing full sized cans. I listen mostly to classical (Romantic) and rock (classic), would love a good closed can with decent isolation, for around $600. Don't worry about squeezing a DAC/amp into the budget, as I can always add to that budget later. So far, I've been thinking something like the K550, but want something a bit "better." The DX000 series doesn't isolate well enough for my use, as listening may take place in such locations as the school bus and library. Oh, and it would be great to use these HPs as part of a Beats "conversion" kit. Maybe Fidelio L1? 


A $600-ish (and anything remotely close) is a long way from a beater.  Check out the Sony MDR-7520.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum