Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... - Page 1577  

post #23641 of 29491

The old itch that I never scratched properly (for my student wallet's joy) has come back. I am in need of some advice from a helpful soul. First, my budget: up to 150 GBP (hinting I currently reside in the UK). The lower, the better though. I prefer not to fiddle with amps if possible. My desk has enough gadgets on it already.

 

Things I am looking for:

Listening to music/watching movies at home

Genres sorted by priority: House, Rock, Metal, Trance, Techno, Classical, Vocal, Instrumental

Comfort (I'll sum up my unfortunate experiences: Denon AH-D1100 - very comfy albeit with a brittle build; Sony ZX700 - hurts my ears for they are above average size I believe, the pads are not deep enough and they are narrow, the effect is amplified due to the clamping force; Panasonic HTF600 - my ears are cooking in them! plus, too much base, the pads are terrible!; Denon AH-D2000 - I feel as if they are going to fall off my head, no isolation at all) Please bear in mind I wear glasses.

Build quality (no Denon AH-D1100 please!) I am obsessively careful with my tech but I've found my Denon AH-D1100 did not benefit at all from that.

 

What I have been looking at: CAL! - although they have small ear cups, so they are a no-no; Sennheiser HD25-1 II - I've tried their cheaper sibling HD25 SP, which had quite the sound I was looking for and felt comfortable to boot on top of an above average sound isolation when I tried them at HMV; Audio-Technica M50 - I've not had the pleasure to try them, but I've seen enough recommendations. Phillips Fidelio L1 - I know next to nothing about these, nonetheless I like their design and the fact that they promise comfort. I try to stay away from neutral-sounding headphones, as I simply enjoy a moderate amount of bass immensely.

 

I do not know where to head next in my research. If I could be pointed in several directions (models to look at), I'd appreciate it immensely!

 

Thanks in advance.


Edited by horizon21 - 1/20/13 at 2:29pm
post #23642 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christo4 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter123 View Post

What's your budget?

 

Open cans often has better soundstage then closed ones.

I know that open cans have better soundstage, but sometimes when i use my grado the noise from the fans get pretty distracting... That's why i can't decide. On one hand i have great soundstage but annoying fans, on the other hand i have not so great soundstage but the fans are gone.

 

My budget could go around 200 euro or higher. 

I would recommend a Shure SRH940, although the mid-bass might be not as pronounced as a Grado. The K 701's (or the Q 701's) are kind of the open-back, more relaxing version of the SRH940 with a tad bit more bass extension.


Edited by miceblue - 1/20/13 at 3:07pm
post #23643 of 29491

Hello,

 

I would really appreciate some help in choosing new headphones. I am pretty torn. I would especially appreciate the opinion of someone that has all three or has tried all three extensively, as I'd like to avoid buyer's bias. 

 

My budget is $1000-2000

 

I'm using a pretty cheap amp - E17 / E09K.

I just bought the amp and I'm not keen to replace it yet.


I have grado sr325is and senn hd650. I like the senns but they could be more lively / detailed. The grados i like how detailed they are, but they don't seem as full as the senns, if that makes any sense. I don't find the grados comfortable though 

 

I've been looking at LCD-2/3, Senn HD800, Beyer T1, Hifiman HE-600

 

What should I get?


My main factors:

- bang for the buck

- noticeable improvement over senn hd650

- forgiving to a crappy amp (I may eventually upgrade, but I don't want to for now)

- good with all genres of music

- comfort

 

I'm currently thinking the beyer t1 might be the best?  I am unsure of how forgiving the lcd-2/3 are for a weak amp and i am worried about their comfort. 


Edited by MightyChimp - 1/20/13 at 4:35pm
post #23644 of 29491

I'm looking for a solid state amp and DAC to drive my future pair of HiFi Man HE-500s. I'm looking to bring out lots of extension on both ends of the spectrum with a focus on a bit more bass impact. It would be awesome if it can do female vocals well too.

 

Thanks in advance.

 

Budget is $1000 for both.

post #23645 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfireblade25 View Post

I'm looking for a solid state amp and DAC to drive my future pair of HiFi Man HE-500s. I'm looking to bring out lots of extension on both ends of the spectrum with a focus on a bit more bass impact. It would be awesome if it can do female vocals well too.

Thanks in advance.

Budget is $1000 for both.

If your budget for the dac/amp is $1k, then get the bisfrost and lyr from schiit
post #23646 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeinharis View Post


If your budget for the dac/amp is $1k, then get the bisfrost and lyr from schiit

Do you have a SS in mind? I don't want to go through the trouble of tube rolling. unless of course you can tell me right now what tubes I need for my specifications.

post #23647 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfireblade25 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeinharis View Post


If your budget for the dac/amp is $1k, then get the bisfrost and lyr from schiit

Do you have a SS in mind? I don't want to go through the trouble of tube rolling. unless of course you can tell me right now what tubes I need for my specifications.

I think the O2 was mentioned earlier for the HE-500. I'm considering the HE-500 as an upgrade myself...when my wallet will allow me to do so. >.>

Or maybe not. I didn't see the criteria in your first post.

 

Ah here it is, but in a different thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshen View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tus-Chan View Post

Would an Objective 2 be able to drive the HE-500 properly?

I use mine at 1x gain with the ODAC. Works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblique63 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tus-Chan View Post

Would an Objective 2 be able to drive the HE-500 properly?

Yeah, it should do fine. Just make sure you have a powerful enough power supply so that you can use the high (6.5x) gain setting without distorting.


Edited by miceblue - 1/20/13 at 5:16pm
post #23648 of 29491

Hello, I recently upgraded my HD580s with the HD600 drivers due to the dreaded 'no audio' from one driver.  So, I now have one HD580 driver that works fine (about 5 years old) and another thats dead (most likely because of the coils).  Im wondering if I should post the pair of drivers for sale as parts in the for sale forums (as parts/not working)?  Not sure if that's something a fellow headfi'er would want or not?  If so how much should I charge?  

 

(ps I do realize I would need to increase my post count first)

 

Please advise, thanks!


Edited by synthetic - 1/20/13 at 5:34pm
post #23649 of 29491

Wow, with 24,000 posts, I'll be surprised if my question finds an answer, but head fi seems pretty adamant this is the place to start. 

 

I have a pair of Klipsch Forte IIs which I love.  I would never listen to headphones given my druthers, but sometimes it is necessary (the wife is sleeping).  I have a pair of Shure SRH840s, which are OK, but I want an experience closer to "open room with speakers."  I recently auditioned the Grado SR225is, having recently read good things about open back designs, but they didn't offer enough difference to warrant the switch.  The PSB M4Us claim to have Room Feel (tm), but I dunno (no audition yet).  So, any ideas on a $ 200 - 400 pair of cans that give that open room feeling? 

 

Note: I don't need noise cancelling, and all earbuds are out.
 

post #23650 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfireblade25 View Post

Do you have a SS in mind? I don't want to go through the trouble of tube rolling. unless of course you can tell me right now what tubes I need for my specifications.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

I think the O2 was mentioned earlier for the HE-500. I'm considering the HE-500 as an upgrade myself...when my wallet will allow me to do so. >.>

Or maybe not. I didn't see the criteria in your first post.

 

Ah here it is, but in a different thread:

 

 

Get the Dacmini by Centrance, here is some impression from larry http://www.head-fi.org/t/551345/hifiman-he-500-he-as-in-high-end-please-post-your-impressions-loan-pair-for-uk-pg-28/165#post_7515665

post #23651 of 29491
Howdy folks,

I've been researching headphones and amp/dac pairings for the last few months and since bonuses are due at work, I've decided to upgrade my current setup: HD-595 & Pico Dac/Amp combo. I have $1500 to $2000 to spend and so far I'm interested in the LCD-2, HE-500, and T1 (used) paired possibly with Schiit Bifrost and Lyr or Asgard. I listen to a wide range of genres (lots of Radiohead, Tori Amos, Bjork, Fever Ray/Knife, Rush, Armin van Buuren, and MBV) so a jack of all trades setup would be preferred. I have FLAC recordings, but as of late I've been listening to Spotify premium, thus I'd like a phone that performs well with subpar source material.

I realize I may be asking a bit much from one setup. Hopefully some folks may be able to offer a head-fi novice some suggestions to best maximize his bang-for-the-buck.

Thanks!
post #23652 of 29491
I own some hd650s that I use an xcan amp to drive with 320kbps files from my iPhone. I love that set up. The sound is in my sweet spot and it makes me happy. But alas, I'm tethered. The line out device I'm using just isn't tolerant to being moved much. I have some great shure iems that I use when I exercise. I love them, but they're not my sennheisers. I've thought about getting the momentums to get more of that sennheiser sound without being tethered as long as I'm just moving around and not working out. But actually, I'd rather have open headphones.

Are there any low impedance open headphones that could be driven from an iPhone? I think the closed momentums would be ok, but I'd hate to lose the highs I have with my 650s. What headphones might get me close to a hd650 sound without requiring an amp? Does something like that even exist?

Music I listen to ranges from BUCK-TICK to Solar Fields, classical to industrial metal and then bouncing over to Infected Mushroom.

Thanks for any advice.
post #23653 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecirdr View Post

I own some hd650s that I use an xcan amp to drive with 320kbps files from my iPhone. I love that set up. The sound is in my sweet spot and it makes me happy. But alas, I'm tethered. The line out device I'm using just isn't tolerant to being moved much. I have some great shure iems that I use when I exercise. I love them, but they're not my sennheisers. I've thought about getting the momentums to get more of that sennheiser sound without being tethered as long as I'm just moving around and not working out. But actually, I'd rather have open headphones.

Are there any low impedance open headphones that could be driven from an iPhone? I think the closed momentums would be ok, but I'd hate to lose the highs I have with my 650s. What headphones might get me close to a hd650 sound without requiring an amp? Does something like that even exist?

Music I listen to ranges from BUCK-TICK to Solar Fields, classical to industrial metal and then bouncing over to Infected Mushroom.

Thanks for any advice.

Maybe a V-MODA Crossfade M-100? If you purchase it from V-MODA, you get a 60-day trial where if you don't like it, you can return it for a full refund within 60 days of purchase.

The Momentums would probably be a good choice as well.

post #23654 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyChimp View Post

Hello,

 

I would really appreciate some help in choosing new headphones. I am pretty torn. I would especially appreciate the opinion of someone that has all three or has tried all three extensively, as I'd like to avoid buyer's bias. 

 

My budget is $1000-2000

 

I'm using a pretty cheap amp - E17 / E09K.

I just bought the amp and I'm not keen to replace it yet.


I have grado sr325is and senn hd650. I like the senns but they could be more lively / detailed. The grados i like how detailed they are, but they don't seem as full as the senns, if that makes any sense. I don't find the grados comfortable though 

 

I've been looking at LCD-2/3, Senn HD800, Beyer T1, Hifiman HE-600

 

What should I get?


My main factors:

- bang for the buck

- noticeable improvement over senn hd650

- forgiving to a crappy amp (I may eventually upgrade, but I don't want to for now)

- good with all genres of music

- comfort

 

I'm currently thinking the beyer t1 might be the best?  I am unsure of how forgiving the lcd-2/3 are for a weak amp and i am worried about their comfort. 

Please someone help me :( I have no way to test them. 

 

I'm legit going to make a decision based on what you guys say.

 

I'm now thinking the LCD-3s might be the best option..  but I'm not sure if they work well with a sub-par amp / comfort. 


Edited by MightyChimp - 1/20/13 at 7:12pm
post #23655 of 29491
Thanks. The M-100s are on my current list of candidates. I think they're a bit more bass heavy though than the momentums from what I've read. So the highs and mids might be too recessed for me. I realize that my 650s have utterly spoiled me. But I was hoping that somebody would be making some more efficient full size open cans. I think that may be the best way for me to get the more spacious sound I'm desiring. If no one does, I'm leaning toward the momentums as the best compromise between sound and portability.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum