Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... - Page 1546  

post #23176 of 29491

So description wise if I am looking some cans that offer clear/distinct lows, mids and highs what type of cans exactly am I seeking?

post #23177 of 29491

Hey There!

I have quite a few IEM's and typically prefer bright or neutral phones.  I do have the AD700 and I like them, I would like something with more isolation that may be a little more balanced.  I am not a basshead at all, but something warm would be nice.  I usually listen to a little bit of everything, but mainly listen to a lot of death and black metal.  So something quick and precise would be good too.  Source would be either a 160GB classic, or a rockboxed 80gb video.  Probably will be unamped.  I would prefer a closed set, but if there is something unbelievable, I'd be willing to consider open.  As for price, around $50 would be best but I could see going to $100 if needed.  Velour pads are a plus. 

 

Thanks A Bunch!!!!

post #23178 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

Ok, so I'm trying to find some things for a friend (1 earphone, 1 headphone). I would like to have an answer ASAP to start the ordering process soon.

 

The three big criteria are:

  • Price <$100 USD in total, no more please
  • Decent sound quality (she listens to a wide variety of music genres)
  • Durable

 

I was thinking the Shure SRH440, JVC HAS400B Carbon Nanotube, Creative Aurvana Live!, or Sennheiser HD201 or 201 for headphones; Monoprice 8320, this one on-sale on Groupon, or one of MEElectronics's earphones.

 

I'm not really an expert with sub $100 headphones/earphones, so hopefully you guys can help me recommend a combination.

 

Thank you so much in advance.


At under $100, the CAL! and SRH 440 are good choices.  The stock removable cable on the Shure is a bit long for portable use, if that is a factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMGF View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

Ok, so I'm trying to find some things for a friend (1 earphone, 1 headphone). I would like to have an answer ASAP to start the ordering process soon.

The three big criteria are:
  • Price <$100 USD in total, no more please
  • Decent sound quality (she listens to a wide variety of music genres)
  • Durable

I was thinking the Shure SRH440, JVC HAS400B Carbon Nanotube, Creative Aurvana Live!, or Sennheiser HD201 or 201 for headphones; Monoprice 8320, this one on-sale on Groupon, or one of MEElectronics's earphones.

I'm not really an expert with sub $100 headphones/earphones, so hopefully you guys can help me recommend a combination.

Thank you so much in advance.
Might I suggest the Sennheiser HD 428? It's a good headphone in the sub-$100 range. Everything's fairly balanced across the board. The bass extends low and sounds tight and controlled across the board, not really bloated or overpowering. The mids separate really well, with an emphasis on vocals. Vocal orientated songs really pop with these. Highs are handled well. Not spectacular, but they're capable and more than adequete for less than $100. I find them to be a really fun headphone and your friend should really enjoy them.

 

 

Thanks for the replies! :)

I'll look in to the HD 428, but I'm set on the SRH440 over the CAL! because of the build quality.

post #23179 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nriku View Post

First of all, sorry for my bad English, i'm spanish and I will do my best

I'm searching a headset for multiple tasking, playing games like Battlefield or Fifa 13, enjoy music (dubstep & 80's), and watch films. (50/25/25)%

I've seen a few models:

- Siberia V2. All the reviews I've seen are positive, althought in this forum seem to be a junk. (66€)
- Asus Vulcan ANC: this case is similar to the siberia, but the design is not as dissembled. (76€)
- There are more models for less price than the Vulcan cans? At the beginning, I thought in spending less than 70€

- Creative Fatal1ty Gamign Headset: I suspect that this cans are not as good as the last mentioned, but I don't know If I will be conformed with this ones. (28€)


Useful info:

- I want a headset, not a headphone plus a micro.
- The micro must be detachable.
- I've owned a Superlux 661, which for me are useless without EQ, and a bit uncomfortable, the quality of the materials, for me, are 8 to 10.
- I have 2 intrauricular audio systems: Sennheiser CX400II (absolutely perfect for me), and a Sony EX310LP (a bit dissapointing, quite unconfortable, and don't have the bass of the sennheiser).


Well...I think that's all xD. Hope you can help me on that decision!

 

Nobody can help me? blink.gif

post #23180 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampi View Post

hello all i am new to the audiophile world and looking to buy my first pair of audiophile grade headphones. 

 

I would prefer that they be open but closed is fine too

 

I do not have money for an amp nor do i wish to carry one around so they have to be able to be powered by my phone

 

I have a $300-$350 budget but i would prefer to save some if possible

 

I need headphones with a removable ambidextrous cord

 

i prefer straight cables but it is not necessary

 

I listen to mostly heavy metal and acoustic indie but i have a little but of jazz, rap, trance and dubstep that i enjoy so they must be able to play all of these types of music

 

I prefer a warm sound from my headphones and i hate overly bassy of tinny music so both the lows and the highs have to be under control

 

Sorry for any errors i typed this on my phone

 

also if you know of any good reviews for the headphones that you suggest it would be nice if you could link to them


If by "ambidextrous" you mean  a can that will let you connect its removable cord to either the left or right ear cup, I don't know any that exist.

post #23181 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampi View Post

hello all i am new to the audiophile world and looking to buy my first pair of audiophile grade headphones. 

 

I would prefer that they be open but closed is fine too

 

I do not have money for an amp nor do i wish to carry one around so they have to be able to be powered by my phone

 

I have a $300-$350 budget but i would prefer to save some if possible

 

I need headphones with a removable ambidextrous cord

 

i prefer straight cables but it is not necessary

 

I listen to mostly heavy metal and acoustic indie but i have a little but of jazz, rap, trance and dubstep that i enjoy so they must be able to play all of these types of music

 

I prefer a warm sound from my headphones and i hate overly bassy of tinny music so both the lows and the highs have to be under control

 

Sorry for any errors i typed this on my phone

 

also if you know of any good reviews for the headphones that you suggest it would be nice if you could link to them


If by "ambidextrous" you mean  a can that will let you connect its removable cord to either the left or right ear cup, I don't know any that exist.

Beats by Dre Pro, Monster DNA, and V-MODA M-100 are the only headphones that come to mind.

The M-100's have big deep bass and sparkly highs, but don't do acoustic and metal music very well because of the laid-back midrange and upper-treble and has a treble roll-off. It doesn't sound overly bassy, but it is forward and the treble is definitely not tinny-sounding.

 

The DNA sounds pretty decent for $200 but its treble is a bit tinny-sounding.

 

If ambidextrous means dual-entry (Y-split cable), then there are plenty of open-back headphones with that kind of connection I think. I think the Sennheiser HD650 would be an option, though it's a pretty laid-back (as in relaxing, not the recessed sound definition) headphone so metal might not sound very engaging.


Edited by miceblue - 1/11/13 at 4:21pm
post #23182 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamijoIsMyHero View Post

ahh good days of being a noob, lightning everything made your character into such a badass, I play on the PC now so barely any problems with lagstabs

 

depends heavily on your music preference, I am using mine for hip-hop and felt the mids were better than LP2 so that's my turning point, I also auditioned shure 840 but build was better in COP so I went with those, I don't think you will like these with treble heavy music

 

Now I auditioned the COPs with a sony walkman and they sound fine and don't plan on adding an amp portably but as a home amp, I am using the Schiit Magni for all my headphones, honestly though, I wouldn't worry about an amp until you heard them yourself and work out a better source first

 

How is the bass? Does it still kick compare to the LP2s? They sound like the thing im looking for, something that packs a punch and is durable. But would like to equalize them for producing at times.

 

Also are the Beyer COPs big head friendly?

post #23183 of 29491

Hey guys, I'm new to this crowd, and I'm pretty new to the audio world too. I've been looking in to get a nice pair of headphones before I head off to university and I was looking for some help choosing a good pair of headphones. Some quick notes before I say more:

 

  • While I am not closed to the idea of IEM or ear-buds, I am primarily looking at closed, circumaural headphones. I can live with full-sized supra-aural headphones if they are suitably comfortable.
  • I am not particularly interested in buying a portable AMP, but I will do so if I must.
  • I will be using the headphones on either a laptop or my Galaxy S3 phone.
  • Budget is ~$200, give or take; if it's within an additional fifty dollars perhaps I can squeeze it in. 
  • This pair of headphones will be used while studying or on transit; I do not move around much when I listen to music. I am willing to sacrifice portability for sound quality and durability.

 

I listen to a lot of punk rock, pop rock, some pop, but where I would like the cans to be strongest is when playing instrumental music, typically guitar or piano. I do not care for heavy bass and I have already noticed that I have a distaste for the sound of heavy bass. Nonetheless, I (think) I have a preference for tight, controlled bass, as I do like listening to good bass guitarists; I just dislike it when dubstep starts roaring in my ears.

 

 

In a short list, my priorities are:

  1. Sound quality
  2. Comfort
  3. Durability
  4. Portability
  5. Looks & design

 

To date, I have had time to listen to the Audio Technica ATHM50, Sennheiser HD 449 and their HD-25. I am not fond of either of the Sennheiser HD 449 or the ATHM50; on the HD449, I found the mids too recessed for my liking. On the ATHM50, I found their heavier bass annoying, as well as their mids and highs too lacking for my liking. I tried on my friend's HD 25 and I thought both my punk rock bands as well as my Vocaloid & instrumental music sounded extremely clear, tight and beautiful, though let us keep in mind that I have little experience listening to these models.

 

Any recommendations for the poor little to-be-university student? :D

post #23184 of 29491

Hi all

 

Wasn't sure whether I should post this here or in the portable forum.

 

I'm looking at getting a pair of headphones to use primarily on my commute to work, and potentially during work hours, but also within the house secondly. So my main priority, besides sound quality, is that they don't leak noise and that they isolate outside noise. I usually listen to indie rock, but also some electronic stuff and a little bit of hip hop. Think Radiohead/Arcade Fire/LCD Soundsystem/Kanye West. I don't mind a bit of bass. I'm looking at paying around the £150 mark ($240 USD).

 

I THINK I've narrowed it down to the following 3:

 

* Sennheiser HD 25-1 II

* Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO

* Shure SRH 840

 

I do like the look of the DT770's and 840's but concerned they may be too big for commuting. The HD25-1 ii's are probably better sized for commuting, but I've heard they may not be as comfortable for long term usage because of the smaller size (pushing against ears etc). If I had to prioritise I'd say the commute is more important in this respect, but I would like to be able to have them on for hours on end if necessary.

 

Any help would be great - also any other suggestions matching my criteria which I may have missed!

post #23185 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampi View Post

hello all i am new to the audiophile world and looking to buy my first pair of audiophile grade headphones. 

 

I would prefer that they be open but closed is fine too

 

I do not have money for an amp nor do i wish to carry one around so they have to be able to be powered by my phone

 

I have a $300-$350 budget but i would prefer to save some if possible

 

I need headphones with a removable ambidextrous cord

 

i prefer straight cables but it is not necessary

 

I listen to mostly heavy metal and acoustic indie but i have a little but of jazz, rap, trance and dubstep that i enjoy so they must be able to play all of these types of music

 

I prefer a warm sound from my headphones and i hate overly bassy of tinny music so both the lows and the highs have to be under control

 

Sorry for any errors i typed this on my phone

 

also if you know of any good reviews for the headphones that you suggest it would be nice if you could link to them

 

Since you listen mostly on heavy metal, acoustic indie, and jazz you should try the Grado SR325i or Alessandro MS2i, driving them both on phones will be sufficient, but they don't have that removable "ambidextrous" cord, and rap, trance and dubstep will not suit them both

Or you can save up a bit until you can get a whole setup of HE-400 or HE-500. I think the HE-400 or the HE-500 will suit more with your genres

post #23186 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepic View Post

Hi all

 

Wasn't sure whether I should post this here or in the portable forum.

 

I'm looking at getting a pair of headphones to use primarily on my commute to work, and potentially during work hours, but also within the house secondly. So my main priority, besides sound quality, is that they don't leak noise and that they isolate outside noise. I usually listen to indie rock, but also some electronic stuff and a little bit of hip hop. Think Radiohead/Arcade Fire/LCD Soundsystem/Kanye West. I don't mind a bit of bass. I'm looking at paying around the £150 mark ($240 USD).

 

I THINK I've narrowed it down to the following 3:

 

* Sennheiser HD 25-1 II

* Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO

* Shure SRH 840

 

I do like the look of the DT770's and 840's but concerned they may be too big for commuting. The HD25-1 ii's are probably better sized for commuting, but I've heard they may not be as comfortable for long term usage because of the smaller size (pushing against ears etc). If I had to prioritise I'd say the commute is more important in this respect, but I would like to be able to have them on for hours on end if necessary.

 

Any help would be great - also any other suggestions matching my criteria which I may have missed!

 

SRH 840 have the best sound quality of the three imo but they are massive & I wouldn't take them commuting.  The HD 25 are compact and have very good sound isolation, so would probably sound better in a noisy environment.  DT770 pro were my least favorite and really need an amplifier to perform.  Iems can outperform all three and isolate best of all.

post #23187 of 29491

Looking for something quick with decent bass extension and well extended highs for dance.  Anyone have any recommendations putting budget around the thousand dollar mark?  Will be driven with a Bellari HA540 and and Ibasso D12

post #23188 of 29491
Hey,
my AKG K518 died some days ago. While I was generally satisfied, in particular with the amazing isolation, with them I wasn't comfortable wearing them longer than 2 hours. However this wasn't a big issue as 90% of my daily use is restricted to an 1 hour train ride in the morning and an 1 hour train ride in the afternoon. Consequently I'd prefer closed Headphones rather than open ones.

  • Budget: 75 EUR/100USD
  • Music genres: Primarily Punk, Ska, Rock
  • Use: Mainly Portable with my phone, otherwise plugged in on my laptop
  • I'd like good isolated Headphones


So far I've looked into the
  • Sennheiser PX-200 II
  • JVC HA-RX900
  • Shure SRH 440
  • AKG K518

    The JVC and the Shure have a pretty high impedance. Will they sound bad on my phone?
    At the moment I incline to buy the AKG K518 again, as they only cost 30 EUR on amazon right now.
    Anyway, I hope you guys have some recommendations/suggestions for me.
    Thanks a lot.
post #23189 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuuz View Post

Hey,
my AKG K518 died some days ago. While I was generally satisfied, in particular with the amazing isolation, with them I wasn't comfortable wearing them longer than 2 hours. However this wasn't a big issue as 90% of my daily use is restricted to an 1 hour train ride in the morning and an 1 hour train ride in the afternoon. Consequently I'd prefer closed Headphones rather than open ones.

  • Budget: 75 EUR/100USD
  • Music genres: Primarily Punk, Ska, Rock
  • Use: Mainly Portable with my phone, otherwise plugged in on my laptop
  • I'd like good isolated Headphones
     

So far I've looked into the
  • Sennheiser PX-200 II
  • JVC HA-RX900
  • Shure SRH 440
  • AKG K518

    The JVC and the Shure have a pretty high impedance. Will they sound bad on my phone?
    At the moment I incline to buy the AKG K518 again, as they only cost 30 EUR on amazon right now.
    Anyway, I hope you guys have some recommendations/suggestions for me.
    Thanks a lot.

 

Out of the four you chose, the SRH-440 would be my best pick, but, personally, I would look into the Creative Aurvana Live!. They're closed back, so, isolation. They normally go for around $80 on Amazon. 

 

I don't think the 440 would have enough bass, plus, they're a bit heavy for a pair of headphones (1.6 lbs / .725 Kg)

post #23190 of 29491

Looking for some great over-ear headphones. Please help me out thanks!

 

 

 


  • Budget: 150-200USD
  • Music genres: Primarily Progressive Trance and House, Dubstep,Drum and Bass, and some rock (ska, punk, classic, etc.) and hip hop here and there
  • Use: Portable with my phone (S3) or Zune MP3, otherwise mainly plugged in on my computer
  • I'd like great quality all around headphones that have great lows, mids, and highs
     

So far I've looked into the


  • AiAiAi TMA-1 Studios
  • Audio-Technica ATH-M50 or ATH-M50S

  •  

    Shure SRH840

  • AKG k550 (out of price range for now but can save up for it)
  • OR ANY RECOMMENDATIONS YOU GUYS CAN RECOMMEND ME!! NOT JUST LIMITED TO THIS LIST!!!

 

Also, thought bout getting the fiio e7 amp. do i need it?

 

THANKS AGAIN!!!


Edited by Ph3nom88 - 1/12/13 at 1:27am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum