or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 1500  

post #22486 of 29490

I need some suggestions...I'm looking for a premium HP that will be a general use HP. I like a wide sound stage and good bass. I do own CAL!s and love them..sometimes I wish they had more bass (not all the time). Would I be better sticking with them as a general purpose HP or is there something better?

 

Music Genres: R&B, Rap/Hip-hop, Rock (those are my top three, but really listen to everything), and Movies

Amped/Unamped: I would consider getting an amp to open my selection of HP so either or and the amp would be FiiO E11.

File encoding: MP3 - 128-320kps

Portable: Yes (will use them with an iPhone, iPad, iPod, HTC EVO, etc....no home equipment or as of yet)
Price Range: $100 - $250.
Closed/Open: Closed - For casual listening, while on the airplane, or in a crowded area. Also min sound leakage and good isolation.
Past headphones: CAL!, Shure SE115, Sennheiser CX 485

My "been looking at list" - I'm open to extra suggestions:

Beyerdynamic dt-770- 32 or 250

Beyerdynamic DT 880- 32 or 250

Beyerdynamic DT 990- 32 or 250 (if on sale)

Shure SRH840

Shure SRH940

 

Thanks for your help!

post #22487 of 29490

My post got overlooked so I'm posting again:

 

I'm posting this here cause it seems like the best place, even though it's not only about full-size headphones.

I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what my next upgrade should be, I'm currently using AKG 272's as my main headphones, with an iPod touch (EQu player and apple lossless files mostly) as source and a PA2V2 amp, and I do enjoy the sound that setup produces, and the high comfort-level.

 

What I want is headphones dedicated to home listening, I've been looking at AKG k701, Sennheiser HD598/HD600, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, Grado SR225i and some open-back ones.

I haven't listened a lot to other headphones than my 272's so I don't have much to compare with, I'm by no means a bass-head, but I like the bass to be present when called for, and the mids to be slightly forward, especially in songs with vocals, but I like treble as well, for example the high-pitched violin in some of Andrew Birds songs.

What I like the most is a "big" sound, I'm not very familiar with audiophile terms but I think it's described as a large soundstage, correct me if I'm wrong.

Low fatigue is also a high priority.

 

My problem now is that I don't know what i should upgrade first, would getting a pair of higher-end open back headphones be rewarding without a better source and amp?

 

Music: Most kinds, I enjoy music like Andrew Birds a lot, but I also listen to regular rock, like Pixies, Thom Yorke and Jeff Buckley, I like Gorillaz a lot, and they've turned me to HipHop as well, like PUTS and Hieroglyphics, I can enjoy some electronic music as well, but not "bad" dubstep (Wobwobwob) I've also recently started to listen to classic, especially Joe Hisaishi.

 

Short: I listen to any genre if I like the music.

 

Amped/Unamped: Pa2v2, will upgrade to a stationary amp eventually, unless I need a better amp to power better HPs

 

File Encoding: Apple Lossless ripped from CD's, and some 320kb mp3 downloads from Bandcamp.

 

Price Range: About 2000 SEK on headphones alone, which is about 300 USD, but prices are so different here so it's hard to tell what's in my price range.

 

Closed/Open: Open

 

Past Headphones: AKG 272 (current), Koss DJ100pro (portable), Meelec MP6 and some different trash cans.

 

Currently Looking At: AKG k701, Sennheiser HD598/HD600, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, Grado SR225i

 

Any advice is greatly appriciated

/Ted

post #22488 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazBro123 View Post

 

Check out the Shure SRH 940, Denon D2000 (if you can find one used, as I think it's discontinued), Ultrasone PRO 750, Beyerdynamic T70 and Sennheiser Momentum. If you think the Bose has enough bass, then the M100 will DEFINITELY have too much bass.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster2010 View Post

 

If you can find the Denon D2000 these would be my recommendation as they are very comfortable and have a slight "V" shape which is nice for EDM, but it is still balanced enough to work as an all around type of headphone. It is also quite easy to drive from an iPod or computer

 

 

Ok I just realised my iPhone has been on 'Bass Boost' while i've been using the Bose headphones (remnants from using in-ear at the gym).  Turn the EQ off completely they sound a little harsh through the highs at first but getting used to them a bit, but definitely lacking in bass and really lacking the 'kick' in the side of the head i was getting when i had it in 'bass boost'.
 
Unfortunately I live in Australia, specifically Adelaide which means you can't buy anything in store unless its beats, sol republic or the most basic model Sennheisers.  The people who import Denon here charge a HUGE import fee and hence hardly any shops stock them, and those that do the D2000s are over $800AUD (almost $850-900USD). You can't buy beyerdynamics here except DT770s but that's only in Sydney, Shure and Ultrasone aren't stocked at all.  Most stores stock Sennheisers but none stock the momentum.
 
How would the bassier M-100s or similar cans compare now that i've realised my Bose have been on bass boost and could do with a little more low end kick but still maintian the clarity of the vocals and guitars through the rock songs and without everything sounding 'muffled' when you turn bass-boost on?
 
I'd be keen to try the Momentums if someone in adelaide would kindly decide to stock them but until then i'm going in blind, or will have to compare to the Sony range when I visit Sony Central in the coming week.
post #22489 of 29490

I've been debating between the Shure SRH-840's and AKG K550's. I've been leaning more towards the shure's to be honest and was just wondering what the consensus was on the Shure SRH-940's and if they are a whole lot better (sound/build quality) than the 840's. Are they worth that extra bit more financially? 840's for about €155 against 940's for about €228? Thanks in advance.

post #22490 of 29490
My friend is looking to upgrade to a stay at home open can. He listens to many genres, but leaning towards electronic. He does not like much bass, so nothing bass heavy. Budget is under $300. If Amp/soundcard is needed, it has to add under $300.
Edited by Fuzziekiwi - 12/24/12 at 8:06am
post #22491 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted LuxuryYacht View Post

My post got overlooked so I'm posting again:

 

I'm posting this here cause it seems like the best place, even though it's not only about full-size headphones.

I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what my next upgrade should be, I'm currently using AKG 272's as my main headphones, with an iPod touch (EQu player and apple lossless files mostly) as source and a PA2V2 amp, and I do enjoy the sound that setup produces, and the high comfort-level.

 

What I want is headphones dedicated to home listening, I've been looking at AKG k701, Sennheiser HD598/HD600, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, Grado SR225i and some open-back ones.

I haven't listened a lot to other headphones than my 272's so I don't have much to compare with, I'm by no means a bass-head, but I like the bass to be present when called for, and the mids to be slightly forward, especially in songs with vocals, but I like treble as well, for example the high-pitched violin in some of Andrew Birds songs.

What I like the most is a "big" sound, I'm not very familiar with audiophile terms but I think it's described as a large soundstage, correct me if I'm wrong.

Low fatigue is also a high priority.

 

My problem now is that I don't know what i should upgrade first, would getting a pair of higher-end open back headphones be rewarding without a better source and amp?

 

Music: Most kinds, I enjoy music like Andrew Birds a lot, but I also listen to regular rock, like Pixies, Thom Yorke and Jeff Buckley, I like Gorillaz a lot, and they've turned me to HipHop as well, like PUTS and Hieroglyphics, I can enjoy some electronic music as well, but not "bad" dubstep (Wobwobwob) I've also recently started to listen to classic, especially Joe Hisaishi.

 

Short: I listen to any genre if I like the music.

 

Amped/Unamped: Pa2v2, will upgrade to a stationary amp eventually, unless I need a better amp to power better HPs

 

File Encoding: Apple Lossless ripped from CD's, and some 320kb mp3 downloads from Bandcamp.

 

Price Range: About 2000 SEK on headphones alone, which is about 300 USD, but prices are so different here so it's hard to tell what's in my price range.

 

Closed/Open: Open

 

Past Headphones: AKG 272 (current), Koss DJ100pro (portable), Meelec MP6 and some different trash cans.

 

Currently Looking At: AKG k701, Sennheiser HD598/HD600, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, Grado SR225i

 

Any advice is greatly appriciated

/Ted

 

HD600. They have a smooth & even sound that works great with any genre for a very low price given the sound quality.  Grados are very fun and work well with vocals and shredding guitars but their treble can be piercing (and imo, eventually intolerable) unless you step up to HF-1/RS-1 which are fairly expensive. 

post #22492 of 29490

any good set of over ear, closed back, headphones for EDM music? more for portable use and powered by an mp3.  Under 280? I haven't been keeping up with this thread

post #22493 of 29490

Budget : 350$

 

What is the best amp/ CLOSED headphone combo or just headphone choice for this price? Needs to be able to ship to Canada.

 

Music : Trance, Drum n Bass, sometimes guitar/piano heavy music... So a little bit of everything with a focus on bass.

 

Source : iPod

 

The ultrasone pro 750's looked promising, but the reviews don't look so good


Edited by sound4544 - 12/24/12 at 8:27am
post #22494 of 29490

http://i.imgur.com/M1w4F.jpg
this setup is what i want, but i need a soundcard with spdif input. which one?

thanks

post #22495 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by wntrsnowg View Post

Hey headfi'ers, first post on headfi!

I don't have the space for a full blown sound system so I am looking for a recommendation on a nice headphone.  At first, I had a Panasonic rp-htx7 (too closed-in sounding, rolled off highs, no deep bass) then upgraded to a Koss pro dj100 and a Fiio e5, but I still feel they are lacking.  I have been following the headphone buying guide and Innerfidelity wall of fame and feel like a want a Denon d2000 or d5000.  Preferably I want a closed-back headphone since I am a college student and will be using these at the library sometimes or in a spontaneously-loud apartment.  

 

I prefer a headphone with the following characteristics: highs with sparkle, bass that is deep and not unbearably sloppy, and overall sound clarity and accuracy.  I have read that "Neutral sounding" is the best, and I wouldn't mind that, but I also wouldn't mind a "fun" (not 100% neutral) headphone either.  I have a hard budget of $400 (prefer to not blow my whole wad though!). I listen to mostly everything except classical and country.

 

Seems that the d2k, d5k are discontinued and almost impossible to get new.  I see that Dakmart (certified denon seller) has the d5k,  refurbished for $389.  Worth? Or is there better out there? Help please! smile.gif (<--- no headphones on my smiley, yet)

D2000 and D5000 have just the signature you want- colored sound with slightly emphasized bass & treble.  They have a remarkably 'open' sound for a closed headphone, but at the price of not being truly closed back.  Sound does leak in & out so they'll only be halfway effective at blocking sounds.  Look for a used set, they'll cost much less and be just as valuable as a new after the box has been opened in case you ever want to sell them and try something else.  Which was the case with me, as the more I tried different headphones the more I wanted a flat sound.

post #22496 of 29490

Hi all , as i said in another thread i am searching for a good pair of headphones for gaming , music and films . I can't decide between the creative aurvana live and the ath-ad700 , can you please help me ? If there are better options please tell me my budget goes from 50 to 180 euros and as sound card i am using a asus xonar dx . Ty .

post #22497 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordYarkan View Post

Hi all , as i said in another thread i am searching for a good pair of headphones for gaming , music and films . I can't decide between the creative aurvana live and the ath-ad700 , can you please help me ? If there are better options please tell me my budget goes from 50 to 180 euros and as sound card i am using a asus xonar dx . Ty .


Don't know your local prices, but Senns--such as the HD 558 and 598--tend to be less pricey in Europe these days than in the U.S.  Assuming you are OK with open cans, I'd take either or those over the two very good cans you mentioned.

 

Between the CAL! and 700, pick the CAL! for better bass, closed design (does not leak much) and portability.  Select the 700 for sound stage.  Both are very efficient.

post #22498 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev21890 View Post

I've been debating between the Shure SRH-840's and AKG K550's. I've been leaning more towards the shure's to be honest and was just wondering what the consensus was on the Shure SRH-940's and if they are a whole lot better (sound/build quality) than the 840's. Are they worth that extra bit more financially? 840's for about €155 against 940's for about €228? Thanks in advance.


The 940 has the best sound, unless you are focusing on bass.  The build quality of the the 940 (at least the early ones) is iffy.  Too many head bands have snapped where they are adjusted.

 

Make sure that the 550 will work for you before you buy.  It requires a good seal.  Beards, sideburns and even glasses have caused problems for some.

post #22499 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


Don't know your local prices, but Senns--such as the HD 558 and 598--tend to be less pricey in Europe these days than in the U.S.  Assuming you are OK with open cans, I'd take either or those over the two very good cans you mentioned.

 

Between the CAL! and 700, pick the CAL! for better bass, closed design (does not leak much) and portability.  Select the 700 for sound stage.  Both are very efficient.

Hi , the 598 cost 210 euros , when the 558 cost 140 euros , am I wrong or the 558 are the pc360 without the microphone ? Is there a lot of difference between the 558 and the 598 ? And for you can i use them with a xonar dx or I need a better sound card ? Ty again .

post #22500 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchronised View Post

Hey guys,

What's the difference between the Beyer DT880, DT770 and DT990? and which version should I get 600, 250 or 32?

I am looking for really durable and comfortable headphones and many people recommended the Beyer's.

Are they closed black? If so how good are they at noise reduction? As far as I know the cables aren't detachable so it that a problem?

What other options do I have for about $300?

The dt770's are closed, the dt880's are semi open, and the dt990 are fully open. The dt770's have the most bass, the dt880's have the most neutral sound, and the dt990's are bass heavy but not as bass heavy as the dt770's. The dt770 is the only one that is ok at noise reduction, the other two are just bad at noise reduction. For other options check out the v moda m100, grado sr325i, and the shure srh940. It all depends on what you listen to.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum