or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 1494  

post #22396 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaky View Post

Hi guys,

I would like to buy a new pair of headphones for gaming/music(onboard sound). I've done my research and my top choices(considering my budget/availability) are:
 

  • Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro     |       270$
  • Senheisser HD 558                |       260$
  • Ultrasone HFI-780                  |       243$
  • Audio Technica ATH-M50      |       236$
  • Denon AH-D1100                   |       210$

 

 

 This prices are for my country(Croatia) and i can't get heaphones from Ebay because headphones + shipping + tax to my country would exceed listed prices.

 

The thing is i can get discount on Ultrasone HFI-650 (147$) and Ultrasone HFI-2200 ULE (195$) so the question is should i buy these now(which) or save more money and buy something listed top(which).

 

I'm an average user listening to all kind of music and playing competitive games like Counter Strike.

Thank you very much

 

 

I would recommend the DT770 Pro. The Limited Edition 32 ohm version is easily driven by a phone. The 80 ohm, non-limited edition version is a little more difficult to drive, but it should still work with a phone.

post #22397 of 29490

 .

post #22398 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro1137 View Post

 .

I have no idea what just happened. Sorry about that. 

post #22399 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaky View Post

I would like to buy a new pair of headphones for gaming/music(onboard sound). I've done my research and my top choices(considering my budget/availability) are:
 

  • Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro     |       270$
  • Senheisser HD 558                |       260$
  • Ultrasone HFI-780                  |       243$
  • Audio Technica ATH-M50      |       236$
  • Denon AH-D1100                   |       210$

 

This prices are for my country(Croatia) and i can't get heaphones from Ebay because headphones + shipping + tax to my country would exceed listed prices.

The thing is i can get discount on Ultrasone HFI-650 (147$) and Ultrasone HFI-2200 ULE (195$) so the question is should i buy these now(which) or save more money and buy something listed top(which).

I'm an average user listening to all kind of music and playing competitive games like Counter Strike.

Save a few dollars.

Takstar Pro 80 (Gemini HSR-1000) closed headphones, sell on eBay for around $88.

Try to get an Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card, good value, low price.

post #22400 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

Save a few dollars.

Takstar Pro 80 (Gemini HSR-1000) closed headphones, sell on eBay for around $88.

 

I'm going to have to find out a bit more about those!

post #22401 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post

 

I'm going to have to find out a bit more about those!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-thread

post #22402 of 29490

Looking for some advice on an all-around pair of headphones since my current ones are on their last legs. I am by no means an audio expert, so please forgive any misuse of terms here.

 

Music Genres: Lots of soundtracks, plenty of rock, some classical, and occasionally some hip-hop or something. Gaming as well, on occasion.

 

Amped/Unamped: I'll more than likely have them plugged into an E17 from the get-go.

 

File encoding: Primarily MP3 320kbps, at least for music.

 

Price Range: I'd like to stay at or below the $250 mark, if possible.

 

Closed/Open: Definitely closed.

 

Past headphones: I have a pair of ATH-A700's and HD 558's. The A700's are super comfortable, but there isn't a whole lot of bass and it's pretty noticeable. The HD 558's are lovely, but there is obviously very little bass considering their open design. The A700's are my go-to pair of headphones, but I've had them for years and they're falling victim to the wear and tear of heavy use, I guess.

post #22403 of 29490

Looking for some headphones to gift. I'm a moderate amature to the headphone scene, so treat me as if I know nothing tongue_smile.gif. I plan to get these for the holidays, so a prompt reply would be most appreciated!

 

Musical Genres: Jazz, Rock, Alternative Rock, Country, Bluegrass, Etc.

 

Amped/ Unamped: Most likely unamped, but it may go amped in the future. The source is an iPod Classic 7th Gen. 160GB.

 

File Encoding: MP3/ AAC

 

Bit Rate: Mostly 256kbps/320 kbps

 

Price Range: Preferably to $80, but I can stretch it to probably $100 if I need to

 

Closed/ Open: It isn't horribly important, but I do lean to the Closed side. I do know that Open cans can make a world of difference though, and I am open to mostly anything (pun not intended). 

 

 

Other thoughts: I have considered the UE 4000s as I have heard some good about them, and Logitech's service is stellar too. I also considered the Grado Prestige Series SR-60i as well, but I have never ordered or even listened to anything Grado to be dead honest. Also, I haven't looked at the frequency graphs either, so honestly I chose them on reviews only (I know, slap me on the wrist "No!"). Anyways, all ideas are welcomed with open arms!

 

Thanks a ton you guys!!!

 

~Kami biggrin.gif

post #22404 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro1137 View Post

 

I've heard they're quite dark sounding. That is all I can think of.

 

Thanks, I guess I'll find out soon enough, decided on Senn HD-650s, FiiO E09K & E17 combo waiting on it being delivered today, will report back after a week or two listening.

post #22405 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaziH2Omln View Post

Looking for some headphones to gift. I'm a moderate amature to the headphone scene, so treat me as if I know nothing tongue_smile.gif. I plan to get these for the holidays, so a prompt reply would be most appreciated!

 

Musical Genres: Jazz, Rock, Alternative Rock, Country, Bluegrass, Etc.

 

Amped/ Unamped: Most likely unamped, but it may go amped in the future. The source is an iPod Classic 7th Gen. 160GB.

 

File Encoding: MP3/ AAC

 

Bit Rate: Mostly 256kbps/320 kbps

 

Price Range: Preferably to $80, but I can stretch it to probably $100 if I need to

 

Closed/ Open: It isn't horribly important, but I do lean to the Closed side. I do know that Open cans can make a world of difference though, and I am open to mostly anything (pun not intended). 

 

 

Other thoughts: I have considered the UE 4000s as I have heard some good about them, and Logitech's service is stellar too. I also considered the Grado Prestige Series SR-60i as well, but I have never ordered or even listened to anything Grado to be dead honest. Also, I haven't looked at the frequency graphs either, so honestly I chose them on reviews only (I know, slap me on the wrist "No!"). Anyways, all ideas are welcomed with open arms!

 

Thanks a ton you guys!!!

 

~Kami biggrin.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltedWelly View Post

 

Thanks, I guess I'll find out soon enough, decided on Senn HD-650s, FiiO E09K & E17 combo waiting on it being delivered today, will report back after a week or two listening.

Pick up the sr80i's. The extra 20 dollars is defintely better because of the better bass response on the sr80i's. I always kind of regreted not paying the extra 20 dollars for the sr80i's. Also, the grados seem to fit all of your requirements.

post #22406 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablobaluba View Post

I also need a recommendation guys. I have 3 pairs on my list and as you will see they are quite different:

  • Beyerdynamic DT 770 (limited edition 32 ohm)...i heard they are better than the other 770 models
  • AKG K267 (or K167) if difference between them is not too big.
  • Hifiman HE-400

 

-I don't need portability, only PC use together with my Audinst mx1 (Amp+Dac) - The Amp is supposed to drive easily 300ohm cans as it's built for up to 600ohm...at least this is how it's advertised.

-I'm mostly listening to hip-hop and electronic (90%), but also some ambient/funk. So, I would like a good bass, both punch and sub-bass detail.

-I also don't want just a bass oriented headphone, but a good overall headphone, that I will enjoy in the long run taking into account it's not going to be very cheap (at least for me).

-I don't care so much about closed/opened, because I see advantages in both. I wouldn't mind opened cans, as I need sometimes to hear the sounds in the house :).

 

I have the HD555 Senn and I think they were lacking bass. As portables I have AKG518 which I like pretty much, even they are cheap headphones.

 

I would even go with the HE-400, the only bad part for me is the price...and I'm afraid there are chances to buy something expensive and not to like it, although I read these cans are amazing! I heard though, there were some problems with the left driver. Also, I'm not sure if I have enough power for them.

I'm most inclined at this moment to wait for the K267, as they seem quite versatile and according to reviews somehow semi-open.I had also the Ultrasone PRO900 on my list, but I heard the highs are really ear-piercing.

 

Do you have any clear recommendation out of these?...like a can't-go-wrong-with-it? I'm interested also in reliability. Is there any other pair you would recommend?

 

Thanks in advance and a detailed answer would be much appreciated!


Any suggestion in my case?

post #22407 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlobHobNob View Post

 

 

Pick up the sr80i's. The extra 20 dollars is defintely better because of the better bass response on the sr80i's. I always kind of regreted not paying the extra 20 dollars for the sr80i's. Also, the grados seem to fit all of your requirements.

Wow, thanks for the very quick response! I was thinking the SR-60s were good, but the recommendations I've been getting are going to let me get the SR-80s. I just needed to get other's voices. Thanks again! regular_smile%20.gif

 

 

~Kami

post #22408 of 29490

Sorry to bump. I was just wondering if anyone had any other thoughts on this. I'm sort of waffling back and forth between the AKG K167 (which does look really intriguing!) and the ATH-M50s.

 

 

 

Quote:

 

Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post


Check out the AKG 167. I have just spent the last two hours listening to them and they would be one of the few phones I would say you would get the most out of two diverse genres that you like. They are also very efficient and I used a desk amp and a sansa clip+ and there was very little difference. The clip was able to make them perform. Very light and comfy. I have no other alternate recommendation for you because they seem perfect for you. biggrin.gif

 

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmt5 View Post

Hi! I'm here to solicit recommendations for a new pair of headphones. Any suggestions would be warmly appreciated!

 

Music Genres: Perhaps 60% hip-hop, 40% unaccompanied choral music (pre-bach polyphony)

Amped/Unamped: Almost exclusively, I'd be listening to it straight out of the headphone jack on my macbook air or iPhone. I know, I know. I have a nuforce uDAC, but only break it out occasionally. I'd like a pair of headphones that can sound beautiful without it, but if they can be enhanced by the uDAC all the better. 

File encoding: MP3s, mostly encoded between 256kps vbr and at 320kps. There's little chance I'll ever move to flac or any lossless format, so if that's the bottleneck for me, I don't want cans that require higher quality files. 

Price Range: Up to $200, but preferably under $150.

Closed/Open: I have a preference for a closed design, but it's not a strong one.

Past headphones: I had a pair of Grado i80s which I enjoyed. But I don't have enough experience to know whether there might be a better sound signature for the type of music I enjoy. Looking for a discernible, universally agreed upon step-up in quality from these. I think I'm looking for something "fun" as opposed to "analytic," if that's a dichotomy that makes sense. 

 

Thanks in advance!


Edited by rmt5 - 12/21/12 at 11:09am
post #22409 of 29490

Hey all,

 

I missed this thread when I posted mine earlier! I go into a bit more detail here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/642158/looking-for-some-upgrade-advice

 

Music Genres: Rock / Alternative / Indie Folk. Think RHCP (personal favourite), Led Zep, Incubus, Foo Fighters, Blind Pilot, Elliot Smith.

Games: Almost exclusively FPS'. CS:GO, TF2, BF3, FC3, etc.

Amped/Unamped: I'm thinking of picking up either an Omega Claro Halo / Asus Xonar Essence ST/STX / Creative Titanium HD, and then probably an amp down the road for a solid set of loudspeakers. 

File encoding: AAC / M4A / FLAC with older MP3s, most of the music I care about is from 256kps - 320kps.

Price Range: Up to $300 CAD

Closed/Open: Either works fine, but I've been using closed up until now

Past headphones: Razer Barracuda's a long time ago that really hurt my ears, stepped up to Sennheiser PC350s which have been great, and extremely comfortable, I also own a set of Sennheiser RS160s, but I find the bass to be lacking in both of them when not connected to my sound card.

Currently Looking At (But open to suggestions):

 

- Fischer FA-011

- Fischer FA-003

- Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

- Audiotechnica AD700

- Audiotechnica ATHM50

- AKG Q701

 

I'm looking for something more or less balanced with great soundstage, bass, and that enables me to hear all the little intricacies and details in songs I would have missed before! :)

 

Thanks!

 

 

 

 

post #22410 of 29490
Sorry to bump this but I could really use some suggestions if anyone has any, I've not bought a high quality cable before so could reall use a starting point - preferably one with fairly low-profile connections to suit the headphones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajoyce View Post

Hello everyone - long time lurker here!

I've just finished modifying my pair of MDR-V6s to include a 3.5mm jack socket so I can use a slightly more practical cable when out and about - big thanks to wrathzombie for his helpful tutorial here!

Here's the finished article:


Image and video hosting by TinyPic


I didn't think it was too bad for a first attempt!

Anyway - I need some recommendations for a cable to use with it. I've got some spare 3.5mm leads knocking about but as they're cheap I doubt they are of particularly high quality, and of course, they're really really stiff. Can anyone recommend either:

 - a good quality cable (maybe 1-1.5m long, straight) which has plenty of flexibility like a normal headphone cable (preferably black, I don't mind braided but think unbraided would look better

 - OR would people recommend I make my own cable?

Thanks everyone - looking forward to getting involved with this great community.

Ali (sorry for posting this in an original thread)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum