or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 1485  

post #22261 of 29490

Gahhh....so as i've said so many times on here, i've been debating whether to get the he-400's or vmoda m100's. Two completely different sound signatures, uses, sizes, etc.....

See, i need a pair of headphones for home listening and another for when i'm on the go. I plan on getting both eventually, but i want one of them for now...the vmoda's are more useful, while the he-400's are better sound-wise. I have about $500 so i can only get one of them, and the he-400's probably require a an amp/dac. So what would you do, head-fi? (i listen to radiohead, arcade fire, muse, and edm)

post #22262 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodatis View Post

Hey, thanks for the response! And yeah, the ATH-M50 does seem suspiciously well-rated everywhere though never seems to be anyone's ultimate recommendation for a really great set.. I mean, if they're rated so consistently high, there must be a reason for that-- though without hearing them myself, for whatever reason I don't quite trust it. What specifically makes you say they're overrated?
That's because there are a lot of people who use the M50 and like it. I don't particularly care for it in favor of a lot of my other headphones but saying a headphone that sells for only $114 on amazon (even lower as of yesterday) is overrated is really a matter for PERSONAL taste.

It is really more that it is a running joke on one of the threads on here to recommend the M50 for everything by people with little audio experience because it is such a common headphone. I was able to enjoy my M50 with EQ.
post #22263 of 29490
I was only going off of the Head Gear section here. It listed it as a NC headphone. My apologies.
post #22264 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthUnnamed View Post

Gahhh....so as i've said so many times on here, i've been debating whether to get the he-400's or vmoda m100's. Two completely different sound signatures, uses, sizes, etc.....
See, i need a pair of headphones for home listening and another for when i'm on the go. I plan on getting both eventually, but i want one of them for now...the vmoda's are more useful, while the he-400's are better sound-wise. I have about $500 so i can only get one of them, and the he-400's probably require a an amp/dac. So what would you do, head-fi? (i listen to radiohead, arcade fire, muse, and edm)
You did see the sale posted the day before yesterday? $360 new shipped HE400? I knew you were looking for a deal before.
post #22265 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post


You did see the sale posted the day before yesterday? $360 new shipped HE400? I knew you were looking for a deal before.

No, i didn't..damn. Link or is it expired?

post #22266 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthUnnamed View Post

No, i didn't..damn. Link or is it expired?
Here's the post
http://www.head-fi.org/t/505970/the-deals-thread-beware-too-cheap-scam-or-fake-no-affiliate-links-permitted/8295#post_8956120

Link still looks good. i have never heard of that retailer. Good luck.
post #22267 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post


Here's the post
http://www.head-fi.org/t/505970/the-deals-thread-beware-too-cheap-scam-or-fake-no-affiliate-links-permitted/8295#post_8956120
Link still looks good. i have never heard of that retailer. Good luck.

The retailer is a an authorized dealer (from the hifiman website) so it must be legit.

Alright, but what amp/dac should i get then?

post #22268 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthUnnamed View Post

The retailer is a an authorized dealer (from the hifiman website) so it must be legit.
Alright, but what amp/dac should i get then?
I dunno buddy. That's up to you.
O2+ODAC? = $285
Magni+Modi = $200
E10 = $45

Did you see that tread yet?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/640774/this-schiit-is-bananas-99-schiit-magni-amp-and-99-modi-dac/0_20
post #22269 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post


I dunno buddy. That's up to you.
O2+ODAC? = $285
Magni+Modi = $200
E10 = $45
Did you see that tread yet?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/640774/this-schiit-is-bananas-99-schiit-magni-amp-and-99-modi-dac/0_20

I've been wondering whether to get the e17 or the the new schiit stuff. no one knows how the schiit stuff is, though, right?

post #22270 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthUnnamed View Post

I've been wondering whether to get the e17 or the the new schiit stuff. no one knows how the schiit stuff is, though, right?

Based on my satisfaction with the lyr, i just pulled the trigger on the modi. I think I am gunna buy the magni as well even though I don't remotely "need" it. If you are concerned and want to play it safe, orders are starting to arrive, there should be more impressions and info on both starting today on the dedicated thread I would imagine. Good luck and hope you finally get your HE400.
edit: http://www.head-fi.org/t/640783/schiit-magni-headphone-amplifier/140_20#post_8960734
Edited by Doc-holliday - 12/15/12 at 1:11pm
post #22271 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post


Based on my satisfaction with the lyr, i just pulled the trigger on the modi. I think I am gunna buy the magni as well even though I don't remotely "need" it. If you are concerned and want to play it safe, orders are starting to arrive, there should be more impressions and info on both starting today on the dedicated thread I would imagine. Good luck and hope you finally get your HE400.

BAH.....the extra money from the magni + the modi is making it hard to pull the trigger....i'm using my computer as my source, do i absolutely need the modi? It's built by me, without a soundcard.

post #22272 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthUnnamed View Post

BAH.....the extra money from the magni + the modi is making it hard to pull the trigger....i'm using my computer as my source, do i absolutely need the modi? It's built by me, without a soundcard.
I avoid using onboard audio on any computer as a general rule just from my experience. I don't know coz I have never heard your mobo though.

An economical option is get the E10 for 45 bucks now. You can then later get more money together and upgrade the amp section of the E10 while continuing to use the E10 as your DAC (it is a perfectly good DAC to my ears.) Then if you feel the need you can later upgrade the DAC. You may not need to. Then you don't have to spring $200 plus shipping right away. The E10 is a solid little performer for its price and size.

http://www.adorama.com/FIE10.html
post #22273 of 29490

I have a $30 gift card for amazon items only and was wondering what the best choice would be for a portable headphone. M50's for $80, Sony MDR V6 for $35, or Koss ProDJ100's for $35?


Edited by soundisee - 12/15/12 at 1:25pm
post #22274 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundisee View Post

I have a $30 gift card for amazon items only and was wondering what the best choice would be for a portable headphone. M50's for $80, Sony MDR V6 for $35, or Koss ProDJ100's for $35?

 

I think the MDR V6 are great for their price. They're durable as well.

post #22275 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro1137 View Post

 

I think the MDR V6 are great for their price. They're durable as well.

 

I ended up buying the M50 coiled for $80 just to see what the hype is about them. Since the MDR v6's went on sale for $39 on blackfriday I'm assuming they will go on sale again sometime in the future.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum