Better choice anyway ;)
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG High Performance Closed-Back DJ Headphones - K181DJtagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAlessandro MS1itagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9Atagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 11/1/12
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by PETACRON, 5/8/13
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11More
- productGrado SR-325i Prestige Series Headphonestagged by System, 12/19/10
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productMonster Beats By Dre Solotagged by System, 2/1/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 12/19/10
- productPanasonic RP-HTX7-K1 Monitor Headphones (black)tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 12/19/10
- productShure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productUltrasone DJ1 PROtagged by System, 2/1/11
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 4/17/2014: AKG K612 and K712 Pro added +... Last post on Today at 1:36 am in Video Games Discussion
- Need help to get headphones - Novice in Head-Fi land.... Last post on 2/19/12 at 1:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Gaming/Music Headphones Last post on 4/16/12 at 5:32am in Headphones (full-size)
- Shootout: 111 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Creative Aurvana Live! 2 added 02/25/14) Last post on 4/19/14 at 8:13pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Gaming Headphones)Last edited: 12/13/13
Accessories: Includes a pouch and cable. Pouch is well-built, compact, and stylish. Soft, flexible cable has never tangled for me in my time with it. Right angled jack is durable and well-relieved....
First off, I would like to thank Noisehush for sending me the NX85's! I'll get into the review now. Packaging: The NX85 come in a sturdy black card board box. It is all black, except the...
The LH Labs Geek Out had a lot to live up to. A good 7+ months ago, the Geek Out started as a concept. This concept was to bring a high quality audio experience into a small and affordable device....
If you like electric music or hip hop rap,this is it,but if you want a more balanced sound you better go for the sennheiser momentum or ue6000.
I am mainly using the Meridian Explorer on the road, from laptop. Setup is painless on Mac and Linux. Note that on Linux, it is worth checking the gain settings in alsamixer (only once is...
++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... - Page 1475post #22111 of 2949112/11/12 at 1:12pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #22112 of 2949112/11/12 at 1:14pmQuote:Originally Posted by YodobashiCamera
I'm currently in a market for <200 us$ closed headphone and I'm wondering what recommendations you guys have. Currently, I am using the ATH-CKM500 IEMs as my daily driver because after using these, my Shure SRH-440 sound quite bad. I am planning on selling the Shure headphones on Craigslist and using part of that money towards new cans. If possible, I would want something with a rather wide soundstage while being good at isolating. I also want headphones that look rather stylish because ill be wearing them everywhere and headphones like the dt770 just won't cut it for me in terms of style. In the sub 200$ range, headphones like the ATH-M50 always come to mind, especially now that they cost 120$, but I'm wondering if they will really be much of an upgrade from my beloved ckm500. I'm also looking for very durable long lasting headphones and the nondetachable cord pm the ATH-m50 worries me a little. The SRH-840 are not an option for me because I found the 440 to be lacking in bass. I'll be using these headphones for gaming and listening to music (mostly electronic, but also other genres) and my head is rather large (8/10 notches on the SRH-440 headband)
TLDR; sub 200$ closed headphones that sound better than the ckm500 or SRH-440 with decent soundstage and non ugly design (I'm looking at you, excellent but ugly dt770 pro)
Just get the UE6000 if you are taking them everywhere and you care about looks. Go to best buy and listen to them. Bring your own player.post #22113 of 2949112/11/12 at 2:14pm
Looking For a set of Hp's for work. Would like something closed without any noise canceling features. In a cubicle so i still need to be able to hear somewhat around me, as i cant see if anyone comes up to my desk. IEM's are an option. Also listen to alot of explicit podcasts that could be a problem blaring out of an open headphone . I have a udac2(dac/low power amp) so i would like something that will benefit from a bit of extra power since i have it already.
Price range $0-$150, Mostly looking for something that compliments smooth vocals/acoustic instrumentals. Bass is not so much of an issue as im worried it would drown out outside sounds too much. Already had m-50's at one point so im looking to try something else, Been interested in grados and some of the akgs but it seems like most of their offerings are open backed.
Edit: side note, any known issues with using 1/8th jack into a 3.5mm adapter? as my udac only has 3.5mm inputs
Edited by jonny564 - 12/11/12 at 3:17pmpost #22114 of 2949112/11/12 at 2:21pm
Looking for a headset mainly for music and gaming and was thinking about getting the razer kraken pro. Since it doesn't have a inline volume controller i was thinking of buying this sennhesier volume controller http://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-HZR-62-Stereo-Control-Headphones/dp/B000H0K8VY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_11. Does this affect the sound using this? If it does what would be a better alternative?
I'm using a creative fatal1ty headset right now.post #22115 of 2949112/11/12 at 2:29pm
What kind of gaming? if its pc look into the Logitech 35's, it can be had for the same price as the kraken on Amazon and has 7.1` surround sound. I own a pair and they are killer for immersion, also the software comes with an equalizer + bass booster if thats your thing. I would swap these out over my hd600's when i would listen to hiphop The volume control is on the side of the ear cup which i find is alot easier than messing with those little on cord controllers. Has programmable buttons as well so you can switch songs from the headphones, although it only works with a few programs(i believe winamp, itunes, and wmp) may be some 3'rd party software out there for it but i haven't looked into it.
If its for console then Forget all that, ahaha. As it only has a usb plug.
post #22116 of 2949112/11/12 at 2:36pm
I'm gaming on the PC, usually league of legends. How comfortable is the logitech headset and my only problem with it is it looks sorta ugly lol though I don't know if I would actually use the razer headset outside the house so I guess I'll look into that headset. Also I heard 3.5mm connector headsets sound better compared to usb headsets.post #22117 of 2949112/11/12 at 2:44pm
I have a pair of turtle beach x11's with my xbox and while its one of there lower end sets fps and rpg's sound much better when i play pc games with the g35s. Since your mainly playing lol the 7.1 surround sound is kind of a moot point so they may not be the best then. I can wear them for about 5hrs or so at a time before they start to get a little uncomfortable, normally a 10-15min break from them though cures that. As far as looks, i had a friend come over and out of all my audio gear those where the headphones he was most impressed with(visually) so idk. sound > looks my man
any Issues with the fatality headset? seems pretty solid and idk how much of an upgrade either of those cans would be. I would maybe look more into getting a seperate set of headphones just for Music use and keep the fatal1ty headset for gaming. When i play league i use my hd600's as audio output since im not concerned with surround sound and just use the mic from my g35's its kind of a pain in the butt positioning the g35's so the mic picks up the sound but im able to listen to music through HQ headphones but at the same time use the mic feature to communicate.
Edited by jonny564 - 12/11/12 at 2:48pmpost #22118 of 2949112/11/12 at 3:47pmpost #22119 of 2949112/11/12 at 3:58pmpost #22120 of 2949112/11/12 at 3:59pmQuote:
$50 is not a good price for the HD428's. They've been as low as $23 refurbished and $35 new. At that price, it's a great bargain (though the flimsy cord stopped me from going ahead and buying it on impulse)post #22121 of 2949112/11/12 at 4:00pm
First post on the forum. YAY!
That said, I'm currently in the market for a pair of over-the-ear headphones. I'm currently using Skullcandy Aviators (the brown and gold ones), but I have recently discovered that cable damage is a bitch, since it's pretty much crippled the things. I'll be sending them in under warranty soon, but until then, I'm looking for a new pair of "cans" (as it seems you strange fellows call them)
That said, my specs:
Under $150 US
Swappable cable (prefer iPod/mic control standard)
I tend to listen to just about everything, though I focus on indie rock, alt rock, metal, things of the sort. Been getting back into jazz and classical as well. NOTE: it's not really a necessity, but I'd like something with some bass. I do listen to Dubstep and Drum and Bass (don't judge) on occasion, and it's always nice to get a little kick in the dome (figuratively, of course)post #22122 of 2949112/11/12 at 4:23pmQuote:
But are they worth it? Is there something way better for 50 or 60, maybe even 70 or 80? Just want the best i can get and i want new not refurbspost #22123 of 2949112/11/12 at 4:35pmHi folks
This is my first post here, but I was reading here since a bit of time now :-)
I thought it is time to ask you guys a little question
I own akg 271mkii cans with a fiio e11 amp, I also have a xfi extrememusic and a nexus 7 for portable playback
I m looking for an upgrade in source sound quality,so I am planning on changing the xtremmusic for a titanium HD or trying a e17 on the computer. I am looking for Improvement on the DAC side.
So how do the e17 compare to the couple extreme music + e11 and with the titanium HD ?
The e17 could be a good all in one but I now it doesn't work with android.
So should I buy the e17 and wait for android support ? Or should I get the titanium HD and then choose maybe something else in the future for portable use ?
BTW my budget is around 150€
I. Appreciate your help a lot :-).post #22124 of 2949112/11/12 at 4:41pmQuote:
I haven't heard them myself, so I can't say for sure. But even if they were priced at $20 I wouldn't get them because of that cord... It's so thin that if I can see myself snagging it on a desk corner or something and snapping it in half.
I'd recomment the Creative Aurvana Live. One of the best sounding closed cans for the price.post #22125 of 2949112/11/12 at 4:50pmQuote:Originally Posted by MarcoGV
In a follow-up, you mentioned Ultrasone and Fostex. Let me preface that I have never used the HD650, and that my headphones are in a lower cost category. That said, I have a Fostex TP50R (unmodded) and an Ortofon O-one, which is an Ultrasone DJ1Pro (and therefore, also PRO 550) with a different set of drivers. I would say that the TP50R is contained and intimate. I would say that the O-one is not contained and intimate. The O-one is a great headphone for classical music; it reproduces the soundscape of a modern concert hall as well as (and usually better than) any other headphone I own. The TP50R has much less of a realistic soundscape. It has, however, a very good reproduction of voices and individual instruments in the midrange. My old, and sadly retired, Stax SR-44 had a similar intimate balance, but was even better (from memory).
Thanks a lot for your suggestion, MarcoGV that's what I was looking for. I suspected that the Fostex may be what I'm after, and I'm curious about their sound. I've also been reading a lot about Grado's and how their entire line pretty much is small and contained soundstage. I would love to try out some Stax headphones, as I've never spent a lot of time with electrostatic headphones either. But Stax is almost certainly out of my price range, unless I could find a really nice deal used. Would you say that is fairly typical of the electrostatic sound being more contained imaging?
This thread is locked
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon Thread 35 seconds ago
- › Gaming headponhes/headsets. 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 2 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 IEM 2 minutes ago
- › OPPO HA-1: Opinions needed 2 minutes ago
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 3 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Creative Aurvana Live 2? 6 minutes ago
- › Fostex HP-A8 DAC/Amp and other Fostex gear 9 minutes ago
- › ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro 10 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE4000 Headphones by gopats1479
- › NoiseHush NX85 Stereo 3.5mm Headset with Mic - Retail Packaging -... by Mathewsa
- › LHLabs Geek Out by bhazard
- › Monster Inspiration by betterthan1122
- › Meridian Explorer by zolkis
- › Beyerdynamic T51P Tesla Headphone - Silver by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by zach8278
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by White Lotus
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by 2001Audiophile
- › Intopic Jazz i57 IEM by Pastapipo
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude