You are prolly gunna also find the 880 harsh if that is the case. The 701 is not as bright as the beyer.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG High Performance Closed-Back DJ Headphones - K181DJtagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAlessandro MS1itagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9Atagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 11/1/12
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by PETACRON, 5/8/13
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11More
- productGrado SR-325i Prestige Series Headphonestagged by System, 12/19/10
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productMonster Beats By Dre Solotagged by System, 2/1/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 12/19/10
- productPanasonic RP-HTX7-K1 Monitor Headphones (black)tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 12/19/10
- productShure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productUltrasone DJ1 PROtagged by System, 2/1/11
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added) Last post on Today at 10:22 pm in Video Games Discussion
- Need help to get headphones - Novice in Head-Fi land.... Last post on 2/19/12 at 1:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Shootout: 113 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Alpha Design Labs ADL H118 added 07/15/14) Last post on Today at 9:39 pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best headphones for $100 or less? Last post on 11/12/12 at 5:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/11/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
This is a review of TTPOD T1E dual dynamic driver in-ear headphones. http://penonaudio.com/TTPOD-T1E-Bass Here you go, another in-ear headphone gem for under $50! Though I was a bit skeptical...
My first quality IEM purchase was the Hifiman RE-400 when they first came out. I was used to low end Skullcandy sets at the time, and I really wanted to see what "reference sound" sounded like for...
This is going to be a short review, just letting you know in advance. I listen to mostly contemporary pop, classic rock, as well as a little classical. In my search for a good headphone to use for...
Disclaimer: This unit was part of a tour held by Justin at Headamp.com. As the second in the tour to hear these headphones, it likely was not properly burnt in. I thank Justin for giving me the...
Bought them today for 20€ to use them till i get the bose mie2i and try out how this type of headphone would be like. the sound is okay to watch dvds on you notebook but just muddy if you want...
++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... - Page 1474post #22096 of 2949112/11/12 at 2:13am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #22097 of 2949112/11/12 at 2:27am
Hello, I have a question about SteelSeries Siberia V2 from eBay: I saw versions in ebay that come without usb sound card or extension cable and at a quite cheap price and I was wondering if they are real and will have the same quality as any other siberia v2 or they are fake and sound quality will be bad? typost #22098 of 2949112/11/12 at 2:32amQuote:Think id go with the AD900's but can anyone tell me the ear cup size and if they leak a lot of sound?Originally Posted by viralcow
Going from the Koss SB40 to a $200 pair of headphones is going to be a large leap in sound quality.
Btw, you have the wrong impression of AKGs, they tend to be bass-shy.
AKG K271 MkII
AKG K167 (recently released, check the impressions thread)
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Audio Technica ATH-AD900
You could also grab a used K701/Q701 and an FiiO E10 for ~$250.
Thanks.post #22099 of 2949112/11/12 at 2:36ampost #22100 of 2949112/11/12 at 4:09ampost #22101 of 2949112/11/12 at 4:32am
hello everyone, im very new here at head-fi. i used to be a lurker here reading reviews and stuff and decided to sign up after i was hooked at getting quality cans. i had to ditch the iems because those made my ears bleed at some point (maybe irritation or something, its just the outer part so no worries) so my very first pair is a superlux HD651 (comfort is not good), then replaced it with a sennheiser PX-100 II (great cans but being open it kinda disturbs my office cluster once i pump the volume up) and then my latest, a sennheiser HD439 with FiiO E6.
i like the warm sound of sennheisers so im kinda stuck with that brand for now . can i seek any comments from you guys about my current set-up? is my amplifier a good one to partner with my HD439's? what can you say about their durability and build (since it is composed of all plastic)? or anything abpout HD439's that i need to know?
thanks in advance, i would really like to know how to take care of em. my cans are only about 4 days old.post #22102 of 2949112/11/12 at 7:31ampost #22103 of 2949112/11/12 at 8:12ampost #22104 of 2949112/11/12 at 8:24amQuote:Originally Posted by Pantome
Hey all, I had a quick question about the comparison of JVC HAR-X700's and X900's.
From reading a lengthy topic, I gather X700's are considered best overall, but the X900's have a wider soundstage. I'll be mainly listening to electronica sub-genres, gaming and watching movies with the headphones. I'm really on the fence as to which pair I should choose as they're within $5 of each other, and I feel the comfort of the phones is extremely important (I'll be wearing them for extended periods of time). Note that I won't be using any kind of amp (does this make one set better than the other?)
Does the comfort of the X900's really overpower the X700's? Or are the X700's performance worth the potential sacrifice of comfort?
What are the prices of the RX700 & RX900?post #22105 of 2949112/11/12 at 9:01amQuote:Originally Posted by dxanex
Best closed headphone with a closed sound?
Basically, all my headphones have really big soundstage, including the HD650 which has opened up a surprising amount as I've used it more and more. Now I'd like to try something a little different. Looking for closed back design with a unique sound sig that isn't necessarily wide sounding but more contained and intimate. Sound leakage doesn't matter. Any suggestions for under $500?
In a follow-up, you mentioned Ultrasone and Fostex. Let me preface that I have never used the HD650, and that my headphones are in a lower cost category. That said, I have a Fostex TP50R (unmodded) and an Ortofon O-one, which is an Ultrasone DJ1Pro (and therefore, also PRO 550) with a different set of drivers. I would say that the TP50R is contained and intimate. I would say that the O-one is not contained and intimate. The O-one is a great headphone for classical music; it reproduces the soundscape of a modern concert hall as well as (and usually better than) any other headphone I own. The TP50R has much less of a realistic soundscape. It has, however, a very good reproduction of voices and individual instruments in the midrange. My old, and sadly retired, Stax SR-44 had a similar intimate balance, but was even better (from memory).post #22106 of 2949112/11/12 at 10:49ampost #22107 of 2949112/11/12 at 11:08amQuote:
Its a difference of $39.74 and $59.23 for the 700 and 900 respectively here on amazon :| im tryin to decide what headphone to get.. stuck between those two, samson SR850 ($53), superlux hd681 ($29) =[
tryin to find one thats fairly balanced in lows, meds, and highs... kind of an all rounder headphone :3
Edited by iandroo888 - 12/11/12 at 11:09ampost #22108 of 2949112/11/12 at 11:28amI'm currently in a market for <200 us$ closed headphone and I'm wondering what recommendations you guys have. Currently, I am using the ATH-CKM500 IEMs as my daily driver because after using these, my Shure SRH-440 sound quite bad. I am planning on selling the Shure headphones on Craigslist and using part of that money towards new cans. If possible, I would want something with a rather wide soundstage while being good at isolating. I also want headphones that look rather stylish because ill be wearing them everywhere and headphones like the dt770 just won't cut it for me in terms of style. In the sub 200$ range, headphones like the ATH-M50 always come to mind, especially now that they cost 120$, but I'm wondering if they will really be much of an upgrade from my beloved ckm500. I'm also looking for very durable long lasting headphones and the nondetachable cord pm the ATH-m50 worries me a little. The SRH-840 are not an option for me because I found the 440 to be lacking in bass. I'll be using these headphones for gaming and listening to music (mostly electronic, but also other genres) and my head is rather large (8/10 notches on the SRH-440 headband)
TLDR; sub 200$ closed headphones that sound better than the ckm500 or SRH-440 with decent soundstage and non ugly design (I'm looking at you, excellent but ugly dt770 pro)post #22109 of 2949112/11/12 at 11:54am
So you're looking for...
- Bass emphasis
- Wide soundstage
All under $200... impossible IMO.
Problem here is that you're looking for bass impact- the SRH440 has good bass extension, it just lacks punch. But you see, bassy closed-back headphones tend to lose soundstage, and certainly not good for games. Once you get in the $300 range you have more options, but under $200 I don't know a single can that has both good bass impact and wide soundstage.
As for durability, it doesn't get much better than the ATH-M50/Beyer DT770, they're built like tanks. But again, under $200, durability and style don't usually go together...
I say drop a few things from that list- maybe consider open headphones, or increase the budget to $250-300, or drop the bass (then the V-Moda M80 would be a nice fit).
Edited by viralcow - 12/11/12 at 11:55ampost #22110 of 2949112/11/12 at 12:04pmQuote:Originally Posted by YodobashiCamera
I'm currently in a market for <200 us$ closed headphone and I'm wondering what recommendations you guys have. Currently, I am using the ATH-CKM500 IEMs as my daily driver because after using these, my Shure SRH-440 sound quite bad. I am planning on selling the Shure headphones on Craigslist and using part of that money towards new cans. If possible, I would want something with a rather wide soundstage while being good at isolating. I also want headphones that look rather stylish because ill be wearing them everywhere and headphones like the dt770 just won't cut it for me in terms of style. In the sub 200$ range, headphones like the ATH-M50 always come to mind, especially now that they cost 120$, but I'm wondering if they will really be much of an upgrade from my beloved ckm500. I'm also looking for very durable long lasting headphones and the nondetachable cord pm the ATH-m50 worries me a little. The SRH-840 are not an option for me because I found the 440 to be lacking in bass. I'll be using these headphones for gaming and listening to music (mostly electronic, but also other genres) and my head is rather large (8/10 notches on the SRH-440 headband)
TLDR; sub 200$ closed headphones that sound better than the ckm500 or SRH-440 with decent soundstage and non ugly design (I'm looking at you, excellent but ugly dt770 pro)
Look into the Ultrasone Pro 550.
EDIT: Alternatively, the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro have different visuals, but they're the same set as the Pro 550.
This thread is locked
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Music City Meet -- Nashville, TN -- Fall 2014 (Sept 20, 2014) 4 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 38 seconds ago
- › Philips SHE3580 IEM review--how can something sound so good for $10??? 44 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser Amperior Extension (amazon screw up)...... Should i get... 2 minutes ago
- › Obscure Chinese DAPs 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 4 minutes ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Vivo Xplay 3S + XE800 Mobile audio perfection 4 minutes ago
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by twister6
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by bhazard
- › AKG K712 Pro by achelgeson
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Barra
- › PHILIPS-HEADPHONES SHQ1200/28 SHQ1200/28 SPORTS IN EAR HEADPHONES by dieTasse
- › Beats by Dr. Dre Tour In-Ear Headphones by juston
- › Sennheiser Momentum by MacroPower
- › Grado Labs SR225e by yage
- › Tekfusion Twinwoofers by BillsonChang007
- › ATH-ESW10JPN by bluelines
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)