You are prolly gunna also find the 880 harsh if that is the case. The 701 is not as bright as the beyer.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG High Performance Closed-Back DJ Headphones - K181DJtagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAlessandro MS1itagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9Atagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 11/1/12
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by PETACRON, 5/8/13
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by System, 2/1/11More
- productGrado SR-325i Prestige Series Headphonestagged by System, 12/19/10
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productMonster Beats By Dre Solotagged by System, 2/1/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 12/19/10
- productPanasonic RP-HTX7-K1 Monitor Headphones (black)tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 12/19/10
- productShure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 2/1/11
- productUltrasone DJ1 PROtagged by System, 2/1/11
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (4/8/2015: Full X2 Review update) Last post on Today at 9:21 pm in Video Games Discussion
- Need help to get headphones - Novice in Head-Fi land.... Last post on 2/19/12 at 1:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015) Last post on Today at 12:01 am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
I had these a while back and found them to be pretty good alas they did have a couple things that spoiled them. Comfort: Finding the best earbuds took a bit of time. Although once you did,...
DUNU TITAN 1 - QUICK REVIEW photos taken from the internet Specifications Driver: 13mm Titanium Diaphragm Dynamic Driver Impedance:16Ω Sensitivity: 90+- 2dB Reproduction Frequency:...
At the time this review was written, the MKLL M-1 was on sale for $79.00 USD on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to a listing of their product at the time of the...
My review is based on the loaner pair that Oppo sent to me as part of their PM3 loaner program. My gratitude to Oppo for giving me this opportunity to demo their product. Oppo is known for...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION My introduction to DUNU Topsound (18 months ago) was with their triple hybrid DN-1000,...
++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 1474post #22096 of 2949112/11/12 at 2:13am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #22097 of 2949112/11/12 at 2:27am
Hello, I have a question about SteelSeries Siberia V2 from eBay: I saw versions in ebay that come without usb sound card or extension cable and at a quite cheap price and I was wondering if they are real and will have the same quality as any other siberia v2 or they are fake and sound quality will be bad? typost #22098 of 2949112/11/12 at 2:32amQuote:Think id go with the AD900's but can anyone tell me the ear cup size and if they leak a lot of sound?Originally Posted by viralcow
Going from the Koss SB40 to a $200 pair of headphones is going to be a large leap in sound quality.
Btw, you have the wrong impression of AKGs, they tend to be bass-shy.
AKG K271 MkII
AKG K167 (recently released, check the impressions thread)
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Audio Technica ATH-AD900
You could also grab a used K701/Q701 and an FiiO E10 for ~$250.
Thanks.post #22099 of 2949112/11/12 at 2:36ampost #22100 of 2949112/11/12 at 4:09ampost #22101 of 2949112/11/12 at 4:32am
hello everyone, im very new here at head-fi. i used to be a lurker here reading reviews and stuff and decided to sign up after i was hooked at getting quality cans. i had to ditch the iems because those made my ears bleed at some point (maybe irritation or something, its just the outer part so no worries) so my very first pair is a superlux HD651 (comfort is not good), then replaced it with a sennheiser PX-100 II (great cans but being open it kinda disturbs my office cluster once i pump the volume up) and then my latest, a sennheiser HD439 with FiiO E6.
i like the warm sound of sennheisers so im kinda stuck with that brand for now . can i seek any comments from you guys about my current set-up? is my amplifier a good one to partner with my HD439's? what can you say about their durability and build (since it is composed of all plastic)? or anything abpout HD439's that i need to know?
thanks in advance, i would really like to know how to take care of em. my cans are only about 4 days old.post #22102 of 2949112/11/12 at 7:31ampost #22103 of 2949112/11/12 at 8:12ampost #22104 of 2949112/11/12 at 8:24amQuote:Originally Posted by Pantome
Hey all, I had a quick question about the comparison of JVC HAR-X700's and X900's.
From reading a lengthy topic, I gather X700's are considered best overall, but the X900's have a wider soundstage. I'll be mainly listening to electronica sub-genres, gaming and watching movies with the headphones. I'm really on the fence as to which pair I should choose as they're within $5 of each other, and I feel the comfort of the phones is extremely important (I'll be wearing them for extended periods of time). Note that I won't be using any kind of amp (does this make one set better than the other?)
Does the comfort of the X900's really overpower the X700's? Or are the X700's performance worth the potential sacrifice of comfort?
What are the prices of the RX700 & RX900?post #22105 of 2949112/11/12 at 9:01amQuote:Originally Posted by dxanex
Best closed headphone with a closed sound?
Basically, all my headphones have really big soundstage, including the HD650 which has opened up a surprising amount as I've used it more and more. Now I'd like to try something a little different. Looking for closed back design with a unique sound sig that isn't necessarily wide sounding but more contained and intimate. Sound leakage doesn't matter. Any suggestions for under $500?
In a follow-up, you mentioned Ultrasone and Fostex. Let me preface that I have never used the HD650, and that my headphones are in a lower cost category. That said, I have a Fostex TP50R (unmodded) and an Ortofon O-one, which is an Ultrasone DJ1Pro (and therefore, also PRO 550) with a different set of drivers. I would say that the TP50R is contained and intimate. I would say that the O-one is not contained and intimate. The O-one is a great headphone for classical music; it reproduces the soundscape of a modern concert hall as well as (and usually better than) any other headphone I own. The TP50R has much less of a realistic soundscape. It has, however, a very good reproduction of voices and individual instruments in the midrange. My old, and sadly retired, Stax SR-44 had a similar intimate balance, but was even better (from memory).post #22106 of 2949112/11/12 at 10:49ampost #22107 of 2949112/11/12 at 11:08amQuote:
Its a difference of $39.74 and $59.23 for the 700 and 900 respectively here on amazon :| im tryin to decide what headphone to get.. stuck between those two, samson SR850 ($53), superlux hd681 ($29) =[
tryin to find one thats fairly balanced in lows, meds, and highs... kind of an all rounder headphone :3
Edited by iandroo888 - 12/11/12 at 11:09ampost #22108 of 2949112/11/12 at 11:28amI'm currently in a market for <200 us$ closed headphone and I'm wondering what recommendations you guys have. Currently, I am using the ATH-CKM500 IEMs as my daily driver because after using these, my Shure SRH-440 sound quite bad. I am planning on selling the Shure headphones on Craigslist and using part of that money towards new cans. If possible, I would want something with a rather wide soundstage while being good at isolating. I also want headphones that look rather stylish because ill be wearing them everywhere and headphones like the dt770 just won't cut it for me in terms of style. In the sub 200$ range, headphones like the ATH-M50 always come to mind, especially now that they cost 120$, but I'm wondering if they will really be much of an upgrade from my beloved ckm500. I'm also looking for very durable long lasting headphones and the nondetachable cord pm the ATH-m50 worries me a little. The SRH-840 are not an option for me because I found the 440 to be lacking in bass. I'll be using these headphones for gaming and listening to music (mostly electronic, but also other genres) and my head is rather large (8/10 notches on the SRH-440 headband)
TLDR; sub 200$ closed headphones that sound better than the ckm500 or SRH-440 with decent soundstage and non ugly design (I'm looking at you, excellent but ugly dt770 pro)post #22109 of 2949112/11/12 at 11:54am
So you're looking for...
- Bass emphasis
- Wide soundstage
All under $200... impossible IMO.
Problem here is that you're looking for bass impact- the SRH440 has good bass extension, it just lacks punch. But you see, bassy closed-back headphones tend to lose soundstage, and certainly not good for games. Once you get in the $300 range you have more options, but under $200 I don't know a single can that has both good bass impact and wide soundstage.
As for durability, it doesn't get much better than the ATH-M50/Beyer DT770, they're built like tanks. But again, under $200, durability and style don't usually go together...
I say drop a few things from that list- maybe consider open headphones, or increase the budget to $250-300, or drop the bass (then the V-Moda M80 would be a nice fit).
Edited by viralcow - 12/11/12 at 11:55ampost #22110 of 2949112/11/12 at 12:04pmQuote:Originally Posted by YodobashiCamera
I'm currently in a market for <200 us$ closed headphone and I'm wondering what recommendations you guys have. Currently, I am using the ATH-CKM500 IEMs as my daily driver because after using these, my Shure SRH-440 sound quite bad. I am planning on selling the Shure headphones on Craigslist and using part of that money towards new cans. If possible, I would want something with a rather wide soundstage while being good at isolating. I also want headphones that look rather stylish because ill be wearing them everywhere and headphones like the dt770 just won't cut it for me in terms of style. In the sub 200$ range, headphones like the ATH-M50 always come to mind, especially now that they cost 120$, but I'm wondering if they will really be much of an upgrade from my beloved ckm500. I'm also looking for very durable long lasting headphones and the nondetachable cord pm the ATH-m50 worries me a little. The SRH-840 are not an option for me because I found the 440 to be lacking in bass. I'll be using these headphones for gaming and listening to music (mostly electronic, but also other genres) and my head is rather large (8/10 notches on the SRH-440 headband)
TLDR; sub 200$ closed headphones that sound better than the ckm500 or SRH-440 with decent soundstage and non ugly design (I'm looking at you, excellent but ugly dt770 pro)
Look into the Ultrasone Pro 550.
EDIT: Alternatively, the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro have different visuals, but they're the same set as the Pro 550.
This thread is locked
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Liverpool Football Club 16 seconds ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (4/8/2015: Full X2 Review... 24 seconds ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 1 minute ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 2 minutes ago
- › Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.) 2 minutes ago
- › Raleigh/Durham/Cary, NC, Saturday March 21, 2015 3 minutes ago
- › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged) 4 minutes ago
- › A Weird Thread...! 5 minutes ago
- › Testing audiophile claims and myths 6 minutes ago
- › It is odd but not peculiar... 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser CX 880 Premium Ear Canal Headphones by interpolate
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Paulus XII
- › MKLL M-1 in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › OPPO PM-3 by Za Warudo
- › DUNU DN-2000J by Brooko
- › Null Audio Vitesse Copper Cable by MikePortnoy
- › Aune B1 by Cotnijoe
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by WifiWizard
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by rigodeni
- › RHA MA750 by fableofgod
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2