Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... - Page 1473  

post #22081 of 29491
Quick pick, hd419's or some sony xb500's? Also, can i get a quick recommendation for around 100 bucks? Thinking audio technica i want to say m50 or something, was looking at them yesterday
post #22082 of 29491

I haven't really found anything definitive on the HE-300s, definitely mixed reviews that I've seen. I'm looking for an upgrade from my HD-558s, in the $200-$250 range; so I've been checking out the HE-300. I have a Xonar STX and listen to (90% of the time) electronic, and within that electronic range, usually female vocalists. A few examples of this type of music would be Hybrid, Thievery Corporation, Fauxliage, and Delerium.

 

Would love to get other recommendations on other headphones in the $250 range.

post #22083 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armotekma View Post

I haven't really found anything definitive on the HE-300s, definitely mixed reviews that I've seen. I'm looking for an upgrade from my HD-558s, in the $200-$250 range; so I've been checking out the HE-300. I have a Xonar STX and listen to (90% of the time) electronic, and within that electronic range, usually female vocalists. A few examples of this type of music would be Hybrid, Thievery Corporation, Fauxliage, and Delerium.

 

Would love to get other recommendations on other headphones in the $250 range.

Have you removed the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558?

How about replacing the stock op-amps in the STX with the LME49990 or 4032?

Do you use Foobar2000 for playing audio files?

post #22084 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

Have you removed the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558?

How about replacing the stock op-amps in the STX with the LME49990 or 4032?

Do you use Foobar2000 for playing audio files?


I've not removed the rubber tape (and am not sure if it would really make the difference some make it out to be); I am also shy with DIY as I don't like poking around to replace something beyond tiny.

 

I do use Foobar2000.

post #22085 of 29491

Looking into getting (edit: full-size) cans, nothing too crazy though. What's the best I can get for under $70? I was starting to look into a bunch of the Audio-Technicas, but none of them swivel around, which is a feature I need. The Monoprice Hi-Fi (Kicker HP541 rebrands I think) had me particularly interested.

 

I've a FiiO E11 I can amp with, from using it with an IEM (EPH-100). I need swivels since I'm currently picking up mixing/dj'ing, one of the primary reasons I'm getting these. I'm kind of looking for a balance though, I don't think I need a headphone that really draws out bass and kicks, I can always hit EQ2 on the E11 to beatmatch anyways. I listen to a lot of genres, usually EDM and pop though.

 

Thanks for any recommendations you have!


Edited by ablahblah - 12/10/12 at 11:03pm
post #22086 of 29491

I'm looking for a pair of good gaming headphones for ~$150. I'm already getting a refurbished Creative Titanium soundcard so don't pester me about that. What I want it for is mostly FPS's and stuff like that, so I would like fair to good accuracy for positional audio, but I also want to use it for music some. I mainly listen to electronic with a touch of rock on the side. I was seriously considering getting the Ultrasone HFI-580's. Do you think that'd be a good choice for what I want? If it isn't, then please give me another suggestion.

 

If you just don't understand my mumble jumble up there, basically I'm asking for a mix of Competitive and Immersive with less Immersive (but still there) and more Competitive.

post #22087 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma29 View Post


Budget: <200$ (~150E)

Use: Mostly at my pc - I have a laptop connected to an external sound card (Sound Blaster X-FI Surround 5.1) and then i have my 2.0 speakers connected to said sound card (GENIUS SP-HF 1800A). The speakers kind of broke but i use them to fiddle with the sound here and there. Sooo i got a pair of Koss SB40's connected to my speakers, the dial on the speakers helps adjust the volume quite nicely, but im starting to notice that my Koss headphones just aren't cutting it anymore for me. I listen to a variety of songs but mainly J-related songs (j-pop, etc.) and my current headphones just dont handle the lyrics at that speed. I started off with a pair of like 10$ headphones and then finaly got my nerves to buy these Koss ones, the difference in sound was awespme and theyre comfy too
       Secondly on my phone/mp3 player, so i dont want the Ohms to be sky-high, i'd like headphones that dont need an amp (those things are expensive like a pair of golden blocks) (however 95% of my will be home based, so if something's good at home but not outdoors that's fine by me).

Requirements: Dont really know if i want them closed or open back, over ears, clear lyrics, able to handle fast songs while the sound doesnt get (too) distorted, a neutral performance (i dont want too much bass), just overall comfy and not too fragile, able to handle some rock, metal.

So far: I've gone through hundreds (literally) of pages, and what i gather is that a pair of ATH's would do me well, eg.:
ATH-A700x or ATH-AD900. 
I gather that AKG's are more bassy and stuff. (Though the AKG 272 HD's looked fine)
Sennheisers don't really look appealing to me, but i dont know, haven't seen them all.

However - I have a pair of pretty low-end heaphones right now (compared to what im looking for), so 90% of the flaws people point out in the said headphones i might not ever even notice.

Can anyone tell me what i should get?

So, thanks in advance for any advice i get.

Cheers.
Anyone? Please?
post #22088 of 29491

Hi guys, I am new here! I used to be an IEM guy, I own a pair of sennheiser IE6, but it broke :(. Recently, I am getting interested in over ear headphones. I read up about closed vs open but still can't really decide which is better and to be honest, still quite confused on the technical aspects. I am looking at something under $150. I listen to all kinds of music, literally all kinds but I do like music w/ heavy bass so being able to hear the bass is quite important. I am thinking about KRK KNS6400, ATH M50S and Grado Prestige Series SR80i or 125i. I would really appreciate it if someone can shed light on which is better or if you guys have better suggestions! Also last simple question, is there a difference between ATH M50 and the M50S? Thanks a lot!!

post #22089 of 29491

Hi ! I'm new to the forums. I was trying to look up more info about the Samson SR850's i was suggested to get for headphones in the $50 range. Currently, only circumaural headphones i have are Sennheiser HD202's. I recently found an USB audio interface device (Audio2DJ) that i can hook up to my computer and plug headphones in. Sounds better than the onboard stuff i have on my computer (ASUS Rampage IV Extreme). So i guess that eliminates the need for a sound card with a headphone amp or something like the FiiO E10. 

 

I'm lookin for headphones that sound great with music (classical, pop) but has good sound for like movies (bass too?). Gaming is minor in comparison but can be considered too if its reasonable? The HD202's are a little lacking in the bass area... 

 

So i was suggested the Samson SR850's as i said earlier. Said the drivers on these headphones are really good and puts them in a good strong spot in this price range. Had the suggestion to switch the pads for the AKG K240's.

 

Was looking on the headphone buying guide on this forum, and i dont think i have a preference in terms of closed or open headphones... i just want something that gives a better quality audio than what i have now. As long as its not like, if are are listening to something, everyone around you can hear it. I use my headphones when someone is sleeping in the room next to mine or when im studying. 

 

As for open, looks like the Superlux HD681's seem nice. in comparison to the HD668b, the removable cable doesnt seem like something i need. actually i think one of these superlux's is the same as the samson sr850?" someone tell me if thats true lol 

 

As for closed, i cant tell which one i should get.. I think im between like JVC HARX700 or the JVC HARX900? 

 

what you guys think? 


Edited by iandroo888 - 12/10/12 at 11:36pm
post #22090 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma29 View Post

Budget: <200$ (~150E)

 

Use: Mostly at my pc - I have a laptop connected to an external sound card (Sound Blaster X-FI Surround 5.1) and then i have my 2.0 speakers connected to said sound card (GENIUS SP-HF 1800A). The speakers kind of broke but i use them to fiddle with the sound here and there. Sooo i got a pair of Koss SB40's connected to my speakers, the dial on the speakers helps adjust the volume quite nicely, but im starting to notice that my Koss headphones just aren't cutting it anymore for me. I listen to a variety of songs but mainly J-related songs (j-pop, etc.) and my current headphones just dont handle the lyrics at that speed. I started off with a pair of like 10$ headphones and then finaly got my nerves to buy these Koss ones, the difference in sound amazed me (obvious, eh?), but its like rising the ranks, that about a year later i just want the sound to be clearer.

       Secondly on my phone/mp3 player, so i dont want the Ohms to be sky-high, i'd like headphones that dont need an amp (those things are expensive like a pair of golden blocks) (however 95% of my will be home based, so if something's good at home but not outdoors that's fine by me).

 

Requirements: Dont really know if i want them closed or open back, over ears, clear lyrics, able to handle fast songs while the sound doesnt get (too) distorted, a neutral performance (i dont want too much bass), just overall comfy and not too fragile, able to handle some rock, metal.

 

So far: I've gone through hundreds (literally) of pages, and what i gather is that a pair of ATH's would do me well, eg.:

ATH-A700x or ATH-AD900. 

I gather that AKG's are more bassy and stuff. (Though the AKG 272 HD's looked fine)

Sennheisers don't really look appealing to me, but i dont know, haven't seen them all.

 

Going from the Koss SB40 to a $200 pair of headphones is going to be a large leap in sound quality.

 

Btw, you have the wrong impression of AKGs, they tend to be bass-shy.

 

Some recommendations:

 

AKG K271 MkII

AKG K167 (recently released, check the impressions thread)

Shure SRH840

Audio Technica ATH-M50

Audio Technica ATH-AD900

Sennheiser HD598/558

You could also grab a used K701/Q701 and an FiiO E10 for ~$250.

post #22091 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandroo888 View Post

So i was suggested the Samson SR850's as i said earlier. Said the drivers on these headphones are really good and puts them in a good strong spot in this price range. Had the suggestion to switch the pads for the AKG K240's.

 

...

 

As for open, looks like the Superlux HD681's seem nice. in comparison to the HD668b, the removable cable doesnt seem like something i need. actually i think one of these superlux's is the same as the samson sr850?" someone tell me if thats true lol 

 

As for closed, i cant tell which one i should get.. I think im between like JVC HARX700 or the JVC HARX900? 

 

what you guys think? 

 

The JVC's, Samson SR850, and Superlux are all strong competitors in the sub-$50 range. You might also want to consider the Koss Pro DJ100/TBSE that can also be found for $50, as well as the $30 Panasonic HTF-600. If you want to throw in another $10 or so, the Jaycar Pro Monitors (Rebranded Brainwavz HM5) are going for $60 on their site.

 

Coming from a HD202, any one of these will be a decent improvement. I can't really say which one will be best, since that will depend on what your looking for in terms of sound quality.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopopo View Post

Hi guys, I am new here! I used to be an IEM guy, I own a pair of sennheiser IE6, but it broke :(. Recently, I am getting interested in over ear headphones. I read up about closed vs open but still can't really decide which is better and to be honest, still quite confused on the technical aspects. I am looking at something under $150. I listen to all kinds of music, literally all kinds but I do like music w/ heavy bass so being able to hear the bass is quite important. I am thinking about KRK KNS6400, ATH M50S and Grado Prestige Series SR80i or 125i. I would really appreciate it if someone can shed light on which is better or if you guys have better suggestions! Also last simple question, is there a difference between ATH M50 and the M50S? Thanks a lot!!

 

Take a look at the JVC S500. http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-get-your-pic-idea-ready-for-the-21st-ha-s500-pic-for-cheapo-gear-day

 

P.S. M50 = coiled cable, M50S = straight cable. They're exactly the same headphones other than the cable.


Edited by viralcow - 12/11/12 at 12:15am
post #22092 of 29491

Go for the Jaycar Monitors, I just got mine last week and they are really impressing me.  They are very clear and neutral headphones, and these even have a pretty large soundstage for being closed.  Not to mention they don't really need an amp and they come with a nice set of stuff, a carrying case and extra ear pads.  For their price they are a steal, I would say these beat many 300+ headphones.

 

The only problem is the initial clamping pres sure,to speed up the breaking-in process I just stretched them out on some books for a day or two.  After that they were golden.

post #22093 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by viralcow View Post

The JVC's, Samson SR850, and Superlux are all strong competitors in the sub-$50 range. You might also want to consider the Koss Pro DJ100/TBSE that can also be found for $50, as well as the $30 Panasonic HTF-600. If you want to throw in another $10 or so, the Jaycar Pro Monitors (Rebranded Brainwavz HM5) are going for $60 on their site.

 

Coming from a HD202, any one of these will be a decent improvement. I can't really say which one will be best, since that will depend on what your looking for in terms of sound quality.

 

 

Lookin at the descriptions ... The Superlux HD681 or the JVCHARX900 seems best... thought i dont know what recessed mid, bright/fatiguing highs would sound like... The other site said the Samson SR850's are comparible to the Audio Technica M50's, without the harshness and larger soundstage. Jaycar monitors are $50 as well but shipping is $20 ! ouch 

 

iunoe which to get :( lol 


Edited by iandroo888 - 12/11/12 at 12:41am
post #22094 of 29491

Hey all, I had a quick question about the comparison of JVC HAR-X700's and X900's.

 

From reading a lengthy topic, I gather X700's are considered best overall, but the X900's have a wider soundstage. I'll be mainly listening to electronica sub-genres, gaming and watching movies with the headphones. I'm really on the fence as to which pair I should choose as they're within $5 of each other, and I feel the comfort of the phones is extremely important (I'll be wearing them for extended periods of time). Note that I won't be using any kind of amp (does this make one set better than the other?)

 

Does the comfort of the X900's really overpower the X700's? Or are the X700's performance worth the potential sacrifice of comfort?

 

Many thanks.

post #22095 of 29491

Hi guys, I recently bought Superlux HD668B and I enjoy them very much.

I am thinking of buying another pair of phones for christmas, and I've decided between Q701 and DT880.

 

Things I like from the HD668B: music is very clean, good sound width & depth, just the right amount of bass

Things I don't like from the HD668B: highs a BIT harsh sounding to me

Things I don't care in general from a headphone: isolation (both ways), portability, comfort, build quality.

 

Also about that thing where the bad recordings sound terrible, and good recordings sound excellent: I believe that in exchange for the bad recordings, for me it's worth it when I hear a track mastered by a genius. But really it's fine if a headphone does not have this feature (don't know what it's called)

 

Sorry I haven't picked up on some of the terms yet but this is what I've noticed after using it for 3 days.

 

About amp/dac, I'm currently using FiiO E3 (was a freebie with the 668Bs) & Sansa Clip+ (built-in DAC)

but I'll upgrade to a nicer setup when I get either Q701 or DT880.

 

So I guess my question is if anyone can tell me the general idea of what to expect from these two phones when upgrading from the HD668B? I will eventually go to a store and try them out of course, but I want to get opinions from the more knowledgeable people before I do it.

 

T.Hanks

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum