Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... - Page 1457  

post #21841 of 29491

Hi, I am new to the forum and to good headphones. Now, let me start by saying the thing that got me interested in a decent set of headphones is someone bought me beats by dre's mixr headphones. Well, I know that they are overpriced for the name, but now I want good ones. They were incredibly unconfortable due to the high clamping force. with that said, here are my preferences in order of most importance. Thanks for your help! I was considering the audio-technica m50 but have read many saying that clamping is an issue and that is the last thing I want.

 

Price must total 180 or less including tax and shipping

Must be comfortable, I will be using these for 3-5 hours at a time.

I would like to have some that I can listen to at a decent volume without others hearing due to the fact that I use them in an office environment

This is not hugely important but it would be a nice bonus if it has the volume control and mic for the iphone on the cord, however I prefer sound and comfort over this. it would just be a bonus

I will be using them with an iPhone with no amp.

 

Thanks all!

 

Nick

post #21842 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickspi View Post

Hi, I am new to the forum and to good headphones. Now, let me start by saying the thing that got me interested in a decent set of headphones is someone bought me beats by dre's mixr headphones. Well, I know that they are overpriced for the name, but now I want good ones. They were incredibly unconfortable due to the high clamping force. with that said, here are my preferences in order of most importance. Thanks for your help! I was considering the audio-technica m50 but have read many saying that clamping is an issue and that is the last thing I want.

 

Price must total 180 or less including tax and shipping

Must be comfortable, I will be using these for 3-5 hours at a time.

I would like to have some that I can listen to at a decent volume without others hearing due to the fact that I use them in an office environment

This is not hugely important but it would be a nice bonus if it has the volume control and mic for the iphone on the cord, however I prefer sound and comfort over this. it would just be a bonus

I will be using them with an iPhone with no amp.

 

Thanks all!

 

Nick

 

If you're using them with your iphone, can I assume that you prefer portable headphones?

post #21843 of 29491

I am not sure what classifies them as portable, I do like the over ear design, and dont mind them being large to take to work or school. I will not be using them at the gym or anything.

 

The beats ones I had werent small by any means and I didnt mind that.
 

post #21844 of 29491

So basically you're interested in closed headphones (no sound leakage) that are easy to drive from an iphone. It would also be helpful if you let us know what genres you prefer.

 

The M50s are actually decently comfortable, I could use them for around 2-3 hours before having to take them off. In fact, I don't think I've tried/owned any headphone that can last 5 hours maybe with the exception of the Beyerdynamic DT990. Honestly, if they start getting itchy/hot/painful, just take a rest for 10 minutes and it should be fine.

 

I could recommend (will depend on what genres you listen to)

V-Moda M-80 ($160-180) - a favorite on the forums

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro ($150-$200)

AKG K167 ($170-$200) - recently released, getting very good reviews/impressions.

AKG K271 MkII ($140) - lacks bass impact, but clean, neutral, detailed sound

AKG K272HD ($190) - there's a almost-new pair being sold on the forums for $105!

Shure SRH-840 ($160)


Edited by viralcow - 12/5/12 at 10:10pm
post #21845 of 29491

Well, this is gonna be an odd combination but when using my headphones it is either rap or classical haha no joke. when I am working on somehting or trying to focus I am listening to classical. All other times, its rap

 

Thanks for all your help!

post #21846 of 29491

Hello all.  I'm looking to buy a pair of full size headphones and I was hoping for some advice.

 

The primary use will be for playing my digital piano (a Kawai ESX, if you care; it has a built-in amp that should be sufficient).  I mainly play baroque, classical, and romantic period music; I also occasionally play more modern jazz, ragtime, and pop (think Ben Folds).  I may also use the 'phones to listen to music on my phone (HTC One X) during my subway/bike commute (pop/rock/classical, mostly), but this is less of a priority (so don't worry too much about portability, amping needs, or how it sounds with compressed media).  I also will listen to them a bit in lab while I'm working, but again don't worry too much about that.

 

I probably want a closed back design just for sound isolation, though I'm open to exploring appropriate open backed designs as well if the leakage isn't too bad.  My major needs are accurate sound reproduction, followed closely by comfort for glasses-wearers.  Durability is also a concern - I would like these to last a long time (I'm willing to trade some durability for a gold-plated warranty, though).  Features I'm interested in include a detachable cable and a hard carrying case.  I don't care much about looks.

 

My budget is in the $200-300 range, but I'm willing to go up or down if there is something appropriate.

 

I've been trying to get my hands on some headphones to get an idea of what I like.  The ones I've tried out so far are below so you get a feel for my taste:

 

1. I tried out a pair of ATH M50s my friend recently bought.  I thought they sounded good but not fantastic.  They were also mildly uncomfortable after listening to them for a few minutes.  For the price they seemed quite good, but I'm willing to pay more for something even better.

 

2. I tried out the Shure SRH940 the other day.  I thought they sounded pretty fantastic for most pieces, though they were a little... off... for a couple more 'poppy' tracks I tried.  I can't describe it better.  Comfort-wise, I thought they were really wonderful compared to other full-size cans I've tried, especially with glasses.  I am concerned about the reports of cracking/etc. at the hinges, though, and question whether the durability is worth the price point.

 

3. I tried out the Beyerdynamic DT770 today.  Their sound was decent, if a bit bassy perhaps.  No way am I buying these, though, since I found them quite uncomfortable to wear with glasses.  Maybe I was wearing them wrong or something, but it was obvious after only a couple minutes.  So let's assume Beyerdynamic is out.

 

I will be trying out some B&W P5s tomorrow but I find it unlikely I will like it - while I'm at the store, I'll also try out some Grados though I doubt I'm interested in an open-backed design.  I have yet to find a place to try out some Sennheisers, Ultrasones, or AKGs.

 

 

I would really appreciate some guidance here.  I find it unlikely I'll be able to try out every highly reviewed set meeting my basic criteria, so I thought your input regarding my particular listening needs would be worthwhile.  Thank you!

post #21847 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonATL View Post

Hi just purchased the Monoprice 8323 Headphones and also just got the ele eBay DAC mentioned in the forum for my laptop. I use an iPhone 5 and laptop.

I would like to know in order to take my listening experience to the next level what amp should I get? I understand the iPhone 5 has an ok DAC. I was thinking about the fiio e6, also what are your thoughts on Alac versus 320mp3?


The Monoprice, while a good value for what it is, is not a very good headphone.  I'd replace it first.

post #21848 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggin View Post

Hello all.  I'm looking to buy a pair of full size headphones and I was hoping for some advice.

 

The primary use will be for playing my digital piano (a Kawai ESX, if you care; it has a built-in amp that should be sufficient).  I mainly play baroque, classical, and romantic period music; I also occasionally play more modern jazz, ragtime, and pop (think Ben Folds).  I may also use the 'phones to listen to music on my phone (HTC One X) during my subway/bike commute (pop/rock/classical, mostly), but this is less of a priority (so don't worry too much about portability, amping needs, or how it sounds with compressed media).  I also will listen to them a bit in lab while I'm working, but again don't worry too much about that.

 

I probably want a closed back design just for sound isolation, though I'm open to exploring appropriate open backed designs as well if the leakage isn't too bad.  My major needs are accurate sound reproduction, followed closely by comfort for glasses-wearers.  Durability is also a concern - I would like these to last a long time (I'm willing to trade some durability for a gold-plated warranty, though).  Features I'm interested in include a detachable cable and a hard carrying case.  I don't care much about looks.

 

My budget is in the $200-300 range, but I'm willing to go up or down if there is something appropriate.

 

I've been trying to get my hands on some headphones to get an idea of what I like.  The ones I've tried out so far are below so you get a feel for my taste:

 

1. I tried out a pair of ATH M50s my friend recently bought.  I thought they sounded good but not fantastic.  They were also mildly uncomfortable after listening to them for a few minutes.  For the price they seemed quite good, but I'm willing to pay more for something even better.

 

2. I tried out the Shure SRH940 the other day.  I thought they sounded pretty fantastic for most pieces, though they were a little... off... for a couple more 'poppy' tracks I tried.  I can't describe it better.  Comfort-wise, I thought they were really wonderful compared to other full-size cans I've tried, especially with glasses.  I am concerned about the reports of cracking/etc. at the hinges, though, and question whether the durability is worth the price point.

 

3. I tried out the Beyerdynamic DT770 today.  Their sound was decent, if a bit bassy perhaps.  No way am I buying these, though, since I found them quite uncomfortable to wear with glasses.  Maybe I was wearing them wrong or something, but it was obvious after only a couple minutes.  So let's assume Beyerdynamic is out.

 

I will be trying out some B&W P5s tomorrow but I find it unlikely I will like it - while I'm at the store, I'll also try out some Grados though I doubt I'm interested in an open-backed design.  I have yet to find a place to try out some Sennheisers, Ultrasones, or AKGs.

 

 

I would really appreciate some guidance here.  I find it unlikely I'll be able to try out every highly reviewed set meeting my basic criteria, so I thought your input regarding my particular listening needs would be worthwhile.  Thank you!


You'll be hard pressed to beat the Shure in that price range & (especially) given all your requirements.

post #21849 of 29491

Hi Guys,

awesome forum and nice to emeet you all

 

I'm looking for a low budget home djing headphones.

 

I have Numark Mixtrack Pro (traktor) and Macbook.

 

Currently i'd like to buy one of this:

 

- Creative Aurana Live

 

- Superlux HD668B

 

 

which one is better for electronic music?

 

Do you have other suggestions?

 

thanks in advance

post #21850 of 29491

Its been a long time since my last beg for recommendations. my soundmagic IEM lasted a longtime but they have succumb to that big headphone cloud in the sky.

 

I'm on the lookout for new headphones. 

The basics: price range sub £80 GBP
full size preferable 
running off- SII, MBP at work, my trusty Sony NW-A820
Music preference- (from last fm) 
   
2 Play    
3 Play    
4 Play    
5 Play    
6      
7 Play    
8 Play    
9 Play    
10 Play

I will be using these headphones most of the day so comfort is a big thing

I enjoy a deep strong bassline 

I would like to be able to try before i buy but its hard if you dont want to line dr dre pockets

 

have looked at 

Creative Aurvana Live HeadphonesDenon AHD1100, Mdr-V6, Sony MDR-V55, Panasonic RP-HTF600, JVC HA-M750-E

 
post #21851 of 29491
I'm currently commuting by train to school every day for a couple of hours. Looking to grab some cheap ~100 dollar cans with decent sound isolation for listening to while travelling. I listen to everything from smooth jazz to electro/dubstep to classical, so I'm looking for a well-rounded pair of headphones with decent bass. Usually listen from my phone or laptop.
 
Headphones I'm currently looking at:
KRK KNS-6400
Shure SRH 440
Fischer FA-003
Fostex T50RP
AT M50s
 
Which one of these would you suggest?
post #21852 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


The Monoprice, while a good value for what it is, is not a very good headphone.  I'd replace it first.

Thanks for the advice. What headphones would you recommend in the 100$ range? I'm thinking about getting the MH1c Sony's as they are a good deal. I'm open to any type IEM, over ear, open ear really I just want the best SQ, while I suppose comfort would be my second priority.
post #21853 of 29491

Greetings everyone,

 

I'd like to get some recommendations for some full-size headphones.  I'm very new to the audiophile and headphone world...I apologize in advance if I get a few things wrong, but I'm willing to learn. :)

 

I'm a PC audio kind of guy - currently, I run an Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card with a Sennheiser PC-350 headset.  I'm a 50/50 split between gaming (non-competitive/casual) and music.  For music, I use Foobar2000 and my collection is a mix of FLAC (44.1 kHz/16-bit ripped from my CDs) and MP3 (mostly 320kbps but a few lower bit-rates in there that I'm working on replacing).  Regarding my preferred genres, I usually listen to Alternative Rock, Classic Rock, Easy Listening, Folk, World/New Wave, and a bit of Country sometimes (please don't hate me ;) ).

 

I'm not interested in replacing my sound card as I'm very pleased with it and I don't have any problems with it.  Doing a bit of reading around here, it seems like it should be quite capable for someone like me just getting into the audiophile scene.  But, what I really want to change is my headset - I'm content with the PC-350's for gaming (although I'll fully admit I have nothing to compare them to) but I just HATE these for music.  They sound very "closed in"...it's like I'm in a very small room.  The sound stage (I think that's what you call it) feels very small.  With that, I think I'm looking for "Open Back" headphones.  Regarding the sound quality of the PC-350's, I've had to EQ them because the most obvious issue to me was the bass was quite lacking.  Again, with nothing else to compare to, I can't comment well on the sound quality for the rest of the audio spectrum.  I'd like to say I'm reasonably satisfied with it, but somehow I think there is room for improvement.  I hope this makes sense - I suppose it's kinda difficult to describe sound.  :)

 

So, I think there may be two approaches here - 1) I keep the PC-350's for gaming and get a new set of headphones geared for music, or 2) Get a set of headphones that is better both at gaming and music and replace the PC-350's altogether.  Something I should note is I don't actually use the mic on the PC-350's since I don't game on-line.  Also, these will be for home-use only...some day I'll look in to a different set for on the road.

 

Regarding my budget, I'd like to keep it under $350-$400 CAD.  If it makes a difference with availability, I'm in Canada.

 

Any advice and recommendations is much appreciated.  Thanks in advance. :)

post #21854 of 29491

After owning a pair of IE 8's, I've decided to go on full sized headphones. 

 

recommendations for headphones in the 200 - 300 range? 

 

I've been suggested Akg Q701s. 

post #21855 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photekq View Post

Hey, I'm new here. I'm looking to get a pair of headphones along with everything to go inbetween them and my pc (dac, amp etc). My budget is between £500 and £600, although the lower the better. I've researched it and the HD 650, fiio E17 and fiio E09K seems to be a pretty solid choice. I'm basically just wondering whether there are any other better alternatives. I want them for music, and although I will use them for gaming aswell, music is the priority. I will be listening to older drum and bass/jungle e.g bad company uk, dillinja, goldie etc. so I'm looking for some good low, heavy bass as well as breakbeats. Thanks :)

 

Also : Portability is not a factor I'm looking for. I don't care how big the equipment is.

Anyone else got any thoughts? I'm sold on the HD650s, just wondering about the best amp/dac combo for around £200-250

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum