or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 1440  

post #21586 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


For bassheads, the Spider Powerforce would be a good choice, if available and at a decent price for those outside of the US.
The Shure SRH 840 is a good choice for those who are OK with "just" a mid-bass hump.

Well I'm not sure how good they are with glasses. The Spider Powerforce especially. And the Shure are also pretty expensive here.

 

Any other suggestions? Or should i go for a more neutral pair of headphones and get an amp/dac with bassboost? Although i think that would hurt the SQ...

post #21587 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christo4 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post

For bassheads, the Spider Powerforce would be a good choice, if available and at a decent price for those outside of the US.

The Shure SRH 840 is a good choice for those who are OK with "just" a mid-bass hump.
Well I'm not sure how good they are with glasses. The Spider Powerforce especially. And the Shure are also pretty expensive here.

Any other suggestions? Or should i go for a more neutral pair of headphones and get an amp/dac with bassboost? Although i think that would hurt the SQ...

The Spider is my only true basshead can. I have glasses (and a beard) and those things have given me no problems with it.

I would almost always go with the more neutral (accurate) or at least neutral-ish can. So you may be asking the wrong person.
post #21588 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


The Spider is my only true basshead can. I have glasses (and a beard) and those things have given me no problems with it.
I would almost always go with the more neutral (accurate) or at least neutral-ish can. So you may be asking the wrong person

Well i can't find them on amazon so i doubt I'll find them anywhere else at a decent price.

 

I am looking mostly for headphones with bass for immersive gaming, but i wouldn't like them to have too much bass so that the other sounds would sound muffled. I know that i tried my Fischer audio Eterna and they were good, but i can't wear IEM's anymore unfortunately...

post #21589 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


Some cans that don't need an amp are quite good. Am I correct that you are looking for open/semi-open cans? What is your budget?
All that said--even 45 to 50 years ago it was garbage in = garbage out when played a decent "going to college" component stereo system. So that hasn't changed much, except with regard to the details.is jazz

Yes sir - I would like to keep it to $200ish (street price).  Openess in sound is primary (no veils to smooth the sound) - but I don't mind a warmish tint, tight bass (I listen to a lot of music that has quick  bass guitar, hello Bootsy... but that could also cover acoustic double bass), trumpets that breathe without frying your ear drums.  Most listening is jazz/blues/funk/acid jazz.  I know that realistically I will be listening un-externally-amplified 99.9% of the time so I imagine that I'm looking for a low-ish impedence set of cans.  I hope that helps enough for a recommendation.  I just ordered the m50's for isolation and have a trusty old sr60 also - so if there's a good compliment, fire away.

post #21590 of 29490

I 'm moving my separate thread here as it seems this is where I should have posted in the first place. 

 

 

I am a little new to audiophile gear and this will be my first purchase beyond my sennheiser 201's. As the title says I am looking for a headphone \ dac combo to use with my laptop (and maybe sansa clip to).

 

My sources :

Laptop

Sansa Clip Zip

 

What  I own :

Sennheiser 201

Steel series 7H (a £20 bargain, I am aware of how poorly the audio compares at full price)

 

I am a little unsure if I want to go the route of IEM's instead, as they are compact and can be used in any situation, I worry about durability and sound quality for price. As really I don't listen too much when walking these days (I can get a cheap pair for running) My listening mostly happens at home and on long journeys on trains and planes. But I like how little space they would take up in hand luggage.

 

Any way the things on my radar are:

DT770

ATH M50

Grados?

Some £100-130 IEM's

 

Fiio E17

 

What are your suggestions? and whats the right split between dac and headphones at this budget point?

 

Albums/songs that characterize my listening:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue 

Porcupine Tree - collapse the light into Earth, Trains

Debussy - Arabesque #1 

Elgar - Cello Concerto

Antoine Dufour - En t'attendant

Damien Rice - Eskimo

City and Colour - The grand optimist

Bon Iver - Perth

 

These cover the genres I care about most.

 

TwinQY said :

 

IEMs wise, the GR07 do drums for rock fantastically, also good all-round. Good weight and texture on them. Build is rugged (solid plastic, good cables, maybe a bit too smooth feeling and flexible). 

 

Cans wise, maybe the KRK KNS8400 or the SRH840 for classical and acoustic. Rock sounds better on the SRH840 because of the mids though. 


Edited by kreggurree - 11/27/12 at 3:46pm
post #21591 of 29490

so here's what i think i've decided on, going with the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 w/ OPA627 OpAmp & GE5670W Tube and the HE-400. source will mainly be my laptop and if i can find my turntable preamp i'll use it with that as well. any suggestions or advice? i think i've found my winning combo.
 

post #21592 of 29490

This may be an odd question...but what's better, the V-moda Crossfade m-100 or the He-400? Completely different headphones, i know. But i'm getting both eventually, the question is: Which do i get first? The he-400's would stay home, while the m-100's would be used everywhere (until i get he-400, then it'd be for on-the-go). I like electronic, indie rock, and alternate rock.

I would probably get an e17 if i got the he-400's, possibly if i get the m-100's as well.

post #21593 of 29490
Hey guys, I've currently got the option between V-MODA M-80 ($140) and Aiaiai TMA-1 ($150). The headphones would be used for most of my purposes; music (rock, alt, electronic, some female vocal stuff), while commuting and at home, and games (mainly strategy / Dota). Any opinions on which headphones to purchase, given the price of each?
Edited by zoomeyz - 11/27/12 at 7:52pm
post #21594 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkcdn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post

Some cans that don't need an amp are quite good. Am I correct that you are looking for open/semi-open cans? What is your budget?

All that said--even 45 to 50 years ago it was garbage in = garbage out when played a decent "going to college" component stereo system. So that hasn't changed much, except with regard to the details.is jazz
Yes sir - I would like to keep it to $200ish (street price).  Openess in sound is primary (no veils to smooth the sound) - but I don't mind a warmish tint, tight bass (I listen to a lot of music that has quick  bass guitar, hello Bootsy... but that could also cover acoustic double bass), trumpets that breathe without frying your ear drums.  Most listening is jazz/blues/funk/acid jazz.  I know that realistically I will be listening un-externally-amplified 99.9% of the time so I imagine that I'm looking for a low-ish impedence set of cans.  I hope that helps enough for a recommendation.  I just ordered the m50's for isolation and have a trusty old sr60 also - so if there's a good compliment, fire away.

The Sony MDR-SA-3000 was probably made for you (but keep them away from your kids). You can currently pick them up through J & R (for $125 shipped with coupon code TURKEY10) and Amazon by way of J & R (for $135).
post #21595 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthUnnamed View Post

This may be an odd question...but what's better, the V-moda Crossfade m-100 or the He-400? Completely different headphones, i know. But i'm getting both eventually, the question is: Which do i get first? The he-400's would stay home, while the m-100's would be used everywhere (until i get he-400, then it'd be for on-the-go). I like electronic, indie rock, and alternate rock.
I would probably get an e17 if i got the he-400's, possibly if i get the m-100's as well.

If you can find a very rare sale on the HE-400, get them first. If not, get the V-Moda, as you will probably use it more--although you might get it for less after some of its newness wears off.
post #21596 of 29490

Hey guys. Need some help.  I am kinda of big headed and I just got a nice pair of Audio Technica AD700 and I love them ....except...for the fact that my ears touch the driver so it's not that super comfy.  Maybe I am bad at searching but i heard there is a mod to make it more comfy and prevent ear from touching the driver.  Does anyone know where this info is? Also what material/foam would be best for this situation? thanks in advance

post #21597 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by god alien View Post

Based on everything I have read, I have decided to get the Shure SRH1840. At this point, I will still take any recommendations but please make direct comparisons to the SRH1840, regarding vocals (pop, ballands). Hopefully they meet my expectations specially with vocals. Will the Fiio E17 be enough to drive the Shure SRH1840 properly? Are they a good match? Is there any other amp on that price range that would be better? Thanks.

Sorry, I'm a noob around here, but did you check the portable shootout on headfonia (it was linked in the sticky)?  For that class of headphone you might want to check it out.  IIRC the cmoyBB by JDSlabs was his favorite, but that review is a little older and something else may have come along... http://www.headfonia.com/music-on-a-budget-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout/ 

post #21598 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


The Sony MDR-SA-3000 was probably made for you (but keep them away from your kids). You can currently pick them up through J & R (for $125 shipped with coupon code TURKEY10) and Amazon by way of J & R (for $135).

Thanks KG - I'll check those out. 
Just got my m50's in today.. quite different from my sr60's, I'm surprised!  Bottom end is fuller and soundstage is wider with the m50's but I do miss the 'openess' of the open sr60's.  Dang.. all I needed was another hobby to grovel to the wife about deadhorse.gif

post #21599 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderland130 View Post

Hey guys. Need some help.  I am kinda of big headed and I just got a nice pair of Audio Technica AD700 and I love them ....except...for the fact that my ears touch the driver so it's not that super comfy.  Maybe I am bad at searching but i heard there is a mod to make it more comfy and prevent ear from touching the driver.  Does anyone know where this info is? Also what material/foam would be best for this situation? thanks in advance

You might want to check out this section of the forum:

http://www.head-fi.org/f/6/diy-do-it-yourself-discussions
post #21600 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrias View Post

you won't purchase from say headroom? or other trustable audio stores

I don't think any of those phones are "refference" in that they have tuned qualities into them , for example the TMA-1 have more bassy sound than most headphone, so is both the skull candies I think

I had a chance to demo the TMA-1's  the sound was very rich, bassy but still responsive across the spectrum.  the best part about them is that i thought they were quite comfortable.  i was shocked since they were on the ear and i usually hate on the ear.  I did notice the soundstage to be fairly small

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum