Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... - Page 1433  

post #21481 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post


All the of the Senny models you mentioned are going to be more comfy. They all have velour/felt pads so are soft and won't crack.

Hmm so does that mean the Grado's aren't real comfortable for listening to music extended periods of time? Or they are comfortable just not as much as the Sennheiser's? And between those 3 Sennheiser's, which would you say would be the best for listening to rock music such as: Soundgarden, Nirvana, Rage Against The Machine, Alice in Chains, etc...


Edited by VitaX - 11/24/12 at 4:26pm
post #21482 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaX View Post

Hmm so does that mean the Grado's aren't real comfortable for listening to music extended periods of time? Or they are comfortable just not as much as the Sennheiser's? And between those 3 Sennheiser's, which would you say would be the best for listening to rock music such as: Soundgarden, Nirvana, Rage Against The Machine, Alice in Chains, etc...

The 598's would probably be the most highly recommended for your tastes because they are less neutral and less laid back than the other two Senn's you mentioned.

post #21483 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaX View Post

Between the following headphones:

 

Sennheiser HD 650

Sennhesier HD 600

Sennhesier HD 598

Grado 225i

Grado 325i

Alessandro MS2

 

Which would be the best for listening to rock/metal music and be the most comfortable to wear for extended periods of time (more than 4 hours at a time)? I know Sennheiser headphones are quiet comfortable as the foam wraps around the ear. However, my current pair cracked on both sides above the ears. Is that issue fixed now? I'm not too sure if the others mentioned above from Grado and Alessandro would be as comfortable since I haven't worn them. Do they wrap around the ear as well like Sennheiser's do?

The grado's does not fit much faster paced and heavy metal IMO. Metal like Dio, black sabbath and judas priest would be okay for me, but still... They are simply too aggresive. Also they are not that comfortable.

post #21484 of 29491
I'm fairly new to this forum and I need some advice on choosing a set of headphones. I'm looking for over ear headphones with active noise cancellation. I already have a pair of Bose QC 15, but they aren't the greatest looking headphones.. I'm looking more into a regular sound cancel headphone that sounds good for school use. My QC is for home use btw. please don't recommend me Beats by dr fake, those headphones are trash. My budget is $300 and I might just get a pair of Monster Inspirations since I heard they were good, but I've never tried them so I might just be wrong.
post #21485 of 29491

Could someone recommend some nice open headphones for under $120? 

post #21486 of 29491

For monitoring / recording of Acoustic/Rock/Metal (This could get kind of bass-y) music, but at the same time fun to listen to (same genres), what are some good headphones in the price tag of ~150 (new, not used). I tend to like present, punchy bass (though it doesn't have to be bass heavy, especially for this purpose, I just want the bass to be punchy and to be present), mids are where these genres typically shine through the most, so good mids, and I dont want tremble that's too overpowering, but I don't want there to be not enough of it either. The headphones will also be used in videos most likely, so not anything hideous or too ginormous. Some headphones I've look at / are considering include:

 

~Shure SRH840s (these are what I'm leaning towards right now, I love the way they look [except they appear very bulky], and the sound appears to be what I want)

 

~Sennheiser HD558s (these appear to be good for what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure on the sound of them as far as what I'm looking for, but there are very pretty cans) <- Dont want to foam mod if at all possible. I keep reading in makes the bass "untamed"

 

~Audiotechnica ATH-M50s (I don't know what to think of these, I see some people say they're the best headphones under 200, then I see people that have a list of like 10 headphones that are better than this at the same price range and say these are over-rated. Would these be good for my purposes?)

 

~any other suggestions?

post #21487 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportflyer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post

Or since you said used. Amazon has the Q701 in "like new" condition for uner $200. Amazon warehouse.
Is AKG that much better than the AD900?  Does it need a heaphone amp right away or can I live with it plugged into the SB Touch and the Receiver headphone output 

I rate the Q701 a notch better in sound/sound stage than the also very good AD900. The Q701 wins on sound by a click or two. It's build quality is superior. It comes with more kit, including a pair of detachable cables of different sizes. The AD900's one advantage is that it does not have to be amped.
post #21488 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaX View Post

Between the following headphones:

Sennheiser HD 650
Sennhesier HD 600
Sennhesier HD 598
Grado 225i
Grado 325i
Alessandro MS2

Which would be the best for listening to rock/metal music and be the most comfortable to wear for extended periods of time (more than 4 hours at a time)? I know Sennheiser headphones are quiet comfortable as the foam wraps around the ear. However, my current pair cracked on both sides above the ears. Is that issue fixed now? I'm not too sure if the others mentioned above from Grado and Alessandro would be as comfortable since I haven't worn them. Do they wrap around the ear as well like Sennheiser's do?

As in most things in life, it depends and folks mileage will vary from individual to individual. For me, I'd pick the HD 650, provided I had a good amp to drive it. If not I'd go with one of the Grados/Alessandro--depending on my budget and listening preferences. Unlike many, I find the Grados to be comfortable, which admittedly is an acquired taste (although it did not take me long to acquire it). The 225i is the sweet spot in the Grado SR line and will rock your world with its wall of sound. The 325is is even better in virtually respect, but its highs are too harsh for many. The MS-2 tones down those highs a click (so does the right tube or hybrid amp--like the affordable HiFiMan EF2A).

In summary, I'd throw out the HD 598 (it's good, but not for your purposes) and pick from any of the rest. It them comes down to what flavor ice cream you like; how much you have to spend; and if/how/with what you will amp it.
post #21489 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioChan View Post

I'm fairly new to this forum and I need some advice on choosing a set of headphones. I'm looking for over ear headphones with active noise cancellation. I already have a pair of Bose QC 15, but they aren't the greatest looking headphones.. I'm looking more into a regular sound cancel headphone that sounds good for school use. My QC is for home use btw. please don't recommend me Beats by dr fake, those headphones are trash. My budget is $300 and I might just get a pair of Monster Inspirations since I heard they were good, but I've never tried them so I might just be wrong.

Let's back up for minute.

Don't get active noise isolation cans unless you really, really need them. They are quite expensive and have inferior sound quality to available cans at or below their respective points than cans without active noise isolation. If must go with active noise canceling, then read this before you buy:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-noise-canceling

Beyond that you will have to tell us through what equipment you will be running these new cans--including if you will be using an amp. You will also need to tell about the sound signature that you are seeking.
post #21490 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzziekiwi View Post

Could someone recommend some nice open headphones for under $120? 

Sure, but it would be helpful to us (and ultimately to you) for you to describe the sound signature that you are seeking and what, if anything, you will be amping these new cans.

The Alessandro MS-1, Audio Technica ATH-AD700 and AKG K240MKII - AKG STUDIO STANDARD SEMI OPEN are all good in general but also different among themselves
post #21491 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failuyr View Post

For monitoring / recording of Acoustic/Rock/Metal (This could get kind of bass-y) music, but at the same time fun to listen to (same genres), what are some good headphones in the price tag of ~150 (new, not used). I tend to like present, punchy bass (though it doesn't have to be bass heavy, especially for this purpose, I just want the bass to be punchy and to be present), mids are where these genres typically shine through the most, so good mids, and I dont want tremble that's too overpowering, but I don't want there to be not enough of it either. The headphones will also be used in videos most likely, so not anything hideous or too ginormous. Some headphones I've look at / are considering include:

~Shure SRH840s (these are what I'm leaning towards right now, I love the way they look [except they appear very bulky], and the sound appears to be what I want)

~Sennheiser HD558s (these appear to be good for what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure on the sound of them as far as what I'm looking for, but there are very pretty cans) <- Dont want to foam mod if at all possible. I keep reading in makes the bass "untamed"

~Audiotechnica ATH-M50s (I don't know what to think of these, I see some people say they're the best headphones under 200, then I see people that have a list of like 10 headphones that are better than this at the same price range and say these are over-rated. Would these be good for my purposes?)

~any other suggestions?

I'd go with either the closed Shure or the open Senn. Assuming that both open and closed cans will meet your needs, go with the Shure if bass is more important. Go with the Senn if sound stage and highs trump bass.
post #21492 of 29491

AKG q701 or AKG K167

 

I listen to dubstep and classical. maybe occasional hiphop+EDM

 

Also an amp suggestion? doesn't have to be portable. hopefully sub $100


Edited by Vaiki - 11/24/12 at 8:44pm
post #21493 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


I rate the Q701 a notch better in sound/sound stage than the also very good AD900. The Q701 wins on sound by a click or two. It's build quality is superior. It comes with more kit, including a pair of detachable cables of different sizes. The AD900's one advantage is that it does not have to be amped.

 

So If I go for the Q701 would something like a Schitt Asgaard be good enough ?   Tks

post #21494 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportflyer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post

I rate the Q701 a notch better in sound/sound stage than the also very good AD900. The Q701 wins on sound by a click or two. It's build quality is superior. It comes with more kit, including a pair of detachable cables of different sizes. The AD900's one advantage is that it does not have to be amped.

So If I go for the Q701 would something like a Schitt Asgaard be good enough ?   Tks

Sure--and you can spend less if you want too. The Asgard will even power the planar HiFiMan HE-500.

In any case, you will benefit from checking the Q701 appreciation thread in this section of the forum and see what is recommended as the best amp pairings with the Q701
post #21495 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaX View Post

Between the following headphones:

 

Sennheiser HD 650

Sennhesier HD 600

Sennhesier HD 598

Grado 225i

Grado 325i

Alessandro MS2

 

Which would be the best for listening to rock/metal music and be the most comfortable to wear for extended periods of time (more than 4 hours at a time)? I know Sennheiser headphones are quiet comfortable as the foam wraps around the ear. However, my current pair cracked on both sides above the ears. Is that issue fixed now? I'm not too sure if the others mentioned above from Grado and Alessandro would be as comfortable since I haven't worn them. Do they wrap around the ear as well like Sennheiser's do?

 

Go with Alessandro MS2i, Grado 325i, or HE-400 for rock/metal. All of them have a great PRaT when it comes to rock/metal music

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum