Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... - Page 1426  

post #21376 of 29491

ok, i foolishly created a new thread without checking to see if there was anything like this thread already floating around... sheesh where are my manners? sorry guys! redface.gif

 

I am currently deliberating on a set of full-size headphones. I currently on a pair of Etymotic Research ER-4P that don't really work for me. The in-ear design gives me ear-aches and one side never seals as good as the other. So that conundrum considered, I've decided to make the switch to full-size headphones. The pairs I am currently considering are the AKG K550, Sennheiser Momentums, and Sony MDR-1R. I listen to a pretty wide range of music, soft rock, hard distorted rock, jazz, classic rock, instrumental hip hop, post rock, reggae, experimental rock, ambient music, bluegrass, and so on. Plenty of varieties of rock music, with lots of hip-hop-oriented beats, etc. I need a pair of 'phones that will be fairly competent in all these genres. Looking to spend $400 or less on the headphones and amp (if necessary). Comfort is a big aspect in my decision, and I've heard good things about the Sony and Sennheiser psirs, but nothing much on the AKG's. I was looking at the AKG K701 a while ago, but I would like to stray away from anything that absolutely requires amplification. So all things considered, could you guys give advice me on the pairs I have listed, and maybe list some others if I missed anything good in my price range? Thanks for the help biggrin.gif
 

post #21377 of 29491
Hi guys, I'm trying to decide between the ath-m50 and ultrasone hfi 780 headphones and I'm getting very mixed reviews. Those who are advocates of the 780s say that the m50's aren't very clear, and the advocates of the m50's say that the 780's have highs that are too harsh and "sparkly". I mainly listen to house/electronic music, some pop, and classical music. Of those two headphones, which is the better choice for the genres I've specified?

Thanks
post #21378 of 29491

from what i understand the M50s have a more colored bass, if electro is your primary genre i'd probably go with that set.
 

post #21379 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumsnspace View Post

ok, i foolishly created a new thread without checking to see if there was anything like this thread already floating around... sheesh where are my manners? sorry guys! redface.gif

 

I am currently deliberating on a set of full-size headphones. I currently on a pair of Etymotic Research ER-4P that don't really work for me. The in-ear design gives me ear-aches and one side never seals as good as the other. So that conundrum considered, I've decided to make the switch to full-size headphones. The pairs I am currently considering are the AKG K550, Sennheiser Momentums, and Sony MDR-1R. I listen to a pretty wide range of music, soft rock, hard distorted rock, jazz, classic rock, instrumental hip hop, post rock, reggae, experimental rock, ambient music, bluegrass, and so on. Plenty of varieties of rock music, with lots of hip-hop-oriented beats, etc. I need a pair of 'phones that will be fairly competent in all these genres. Looking to spend $400 or less on the headphones and amp (if necessary). Comfort is a big aspect in my decision, and I've heard good things about the Sony and Sennheiser psirs, but nothing much on the AKG's. I was looking at the AKG K701 a while ago, but I would like to stray away from anything that absolutely requires amplification. So all things considered, could you guys give advice me on the pairs I have listed, and maybe list some others if I missed anything good in my price range? Thanks for the help biggrin.gif
 

With all the genres you listed you are probably going to want something fairly balanced. You spoke of the K701. Now i've heard stories of them being power hungry beasts. Now, i can speak for sennheiser here and the hd600. It's about as well balanced as you are going to find at the level. To really make it sing you are going to need an amp. Now how good of an amp you get is up to you. As I've read it scales very well. I can't personally atest to that for 10 days...till my matrix m stage comes in. You can get them used in the mid $200's if you look around. And then you can spend the rest on  a decent amp. Look around, check the forums here. if you don't mind, buy used. Good luck friend.

post #21380 of 29491

Hey Guys,

My Jh16 cable pins broke off, and are stuck in the headphone. Have any of you had this problem, and been able to solve it. Any help would be appreciated.

post #21381 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecansmancan View Post

With all the genres you listed you are probably going to want something fairly balanced. You spoke of the K701. Now i've heard stories of them being power hungry beasts. Now, i can speak for sennheiser here and the hd600. It's about as well balanced as you are going to find at the level. To really make it sing you are going to need an amp. Now how good of an amp you get is up to you. As I've read it scales very well. I can't personally atest to that for 10 days...till my matrix m stage comes in. You can get them used in the mid $200's if you look around. And then you can spend the rest on  a decent amp. Look around, check the forums here. if you don't mind, buy used. Good luck friend.


yeah balanced is better, but i'm not looking for studio monitor quality per se, most of music will be coming from my dell laptop with 320kbps MP3 files. i'd also like something that i can plug straight into my ipod or iphone when i'm on the go, if anything i'd get the FiiO E11 i think, as that would be suitable for home use and portable use (atleast i think so? novice with amps and DACs...) not sure i want open backs either. as i stated, i'm considering something i can be mobile with, and something that won't disturb the rest of my family when i'm listening late. i'm hoping $400 can be my total investment at the max here. what about the AKG K550's and a FiiO E11? would that do well for my needs? i want something fun to listen to, but not overly colored and COMFORTABLE! i think the K701's are out of my range considering how they'll require a pretty solid amp to run them right.

post #21382 of 29491

What headphones  are good for edm
 

post #21383 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Peterson View Post

What headphones  are good for edm
 

 

What's your budget? 

post #21384 of 29491

250$
 

post #21385 of 29491
are the srh 840's better than the ath m50's overall?
post #21386 of 29491

?
 

post #21387 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehSquash View Post

are the srh 840's better than the ath m50's overall?

that depends on what you're looking for. the 840 is going to be more balanced. slight mid range emphasis if anything. where the m 50 is more of a v shape. so i suppose it kinda the oposite. whare you using it for. music. location amp?

post #21388 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkcdn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecansmancan View Post

Well, saying opened cans are "better" is kinda a subjective thing. There are plenty of fantastic closed cans. It's just they have a different sound signature. As a rule of thumb, closed has more bass, where opened has slightly less, but more air. That's very general though...and not very in depth.... anyway, it sounds like what you want is an opened sound minus the leakage. For that, I highly recommend the Shure SRH-840. They run around $150. They have a relatively balanced sound signature, so that should work well for your situation (Sound sig: slight mid emphasis, mild mid bass hump. pretty much unnoticed for casual listening...). Balance will let you cross genre. The sound stage, for being closed, and at the price, is simply phenomenal. They are fairly easy to drive, do no amp is absolutely necessary. As well, the leakage/isolation is wonderful. I use them to listen while my family watches TV right behind me....i can't hear a single explosion....oh the wonders....anyway, i highly recommend them. Any questions, feel free to pm me.
Happy Thanksgiving all!

It sounds like you know my future... my noisemakers are 5,4, and 1.. I will check those 840's and the CAL!'s out in the meantime. 

I do have a question about the 840's though - one of the recommended links in the sticky was for the innerfidelity website, and he had replaced the 840's with the UE6000.  The UE6000 is $10 more than the 840's so wondered what y'all thought.

If the open cans would be a good supplement to something like the CAL! in the $150-200 range, I was eyeing the K167 TIESTO or AT ad700's. Unfortunately, we don't have anywhere to actually check them out in person.

Go for the AD900. They are featured in the Flagship thread and are one of the top three best buys according to the author.
post #21389 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehSquash View Post

Hi guys, I'm trying to decide between the ath-m50 and ultrasone hfi 780 headphones and I'm getting very mixed reviews. Those who are advocates of the 780s say that the m50's aren't very clear, and the advocates of the m50's say that the 780's have highs that are too harsh and "sparkly". I mainly listen to house/electronic music, some pop, and classical music. Of those two headphones, which is the better choice for the genres I've specified?

Thanks

For your genres the Ultrasone is the better can. It is bright, which is a matter of taste and preference.
post #21390 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumsnspace View Post

ok, i foolishly created a new thread without checking to see if there was anything like this thread already floating around... sheesh where are my manners? sorry guys! redface.gif

I am currently deliberating on a set of full-size headphones. I currently on a pair of Etymotic Research ER-4P that don't really work for me. The in-ear design gives me ear-aches and one side never seals as good as the other. So that conundrum considered, I've decided to make the switch to full-size headphones. The pairs I am currently considering are the AKG K550, Sennheiser Momentums, and Sony MDR-1R. I listen to a pretty wide range of music, soft rock, hard distorted rock, jazz, classic rock, instrumental hip hop, post rock, reggae, experimental rock, ambient music, bluegrass, and so on. Plenty of varieties of rock music, with lots of hip-hop-oriented beats, etc. I need a pair of 'phones that will be fairly competent in all these genres. Looking to spend $400 or less on the headphones and amp (if necessary). Comfort is a big aspect in my decision, and I've heard good things about the Sony and Sennheiser psirs, but nothing much on the AKG's. I was looking at the AKG K701 a while ago, but I would like to stray away from anything that absolutely requires amplification. So all things considered, could you guys give advice me on the pairs I have listed, and maybe list some others if I missed anything good in my price range? Thanks for the help biggrin.gif

 

You mentioned the K701, so I need to confirm that open (they leak sound) and/or semi open (they leak--but generally not as much as open) are OK.

The AKG K/Q 70x are all very comfortable for most.
Edited by KG Jag - 11/22/12 at 10:34am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum