or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 1422  

post #21316 of 29490

Hello all! Can anyone help me to choose my next phones?

 

Equipment:

  • Asus Xonar Essence STX: Bought it after I completed my PC built, and I have to say I searched for them for a long time. Just to get the chance to drive upper grade phones for relatively less money.
  • Grado SR60: Got it from USA around 6 years ago, my first "real" headphones. Really like the phones to this day but can't listen to them for a long period. The sound seems just too fatiguing and bright for long period listening, still like the airness of open design and energy of these fellas tho.
  • Sennheiser MX 680: Bought them just for sports in mind, but kind of liked the sound (Meh). Since I don't have any better IEMs atm, I use them on a daily basis outside plus while doing sports. 
  • Audio Technica ATH-2: Got this one for mere interest in ortho phones, and didn't have any expectations since I got them for nearly nothing. Well, I can say it didn't surprise me with SQ in overall but has a kind of good detail in sound.
  • Sennheiser PXC 450: Couple of months ago I found a used and in good condition pair for around 50 USD. They were not the phones exactly in my mind but couldn't miss them for the price. Anyway, after I got them I realized that they are just sweet sweet phones. Haven't heard anything like them before, sounds detailed and smooth to my ears, but a little too smooth maybe. I kind of miss the openness and airy feel of music when I listen music on them.
     

Music Preference:

  • Rock based; Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Muse, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Porcupine Tree, Radiohead, City and Colour, Dream Theater,  etc.
  • Blues; John Lee Hooker, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Yavuz Çetin etc.
  • Other; jazz, soul, classic and little bit electronic music if I have mood (French House?)

 

What I Want:

  • Hear something what my PXC 450 cannot offer to my ears. Basically all I want to have is to feel the improvement.
  • Want to hear the detail and feel the sense of space in music, especially when I'm listening to live records. But that doesn't mean I like analytical and cold sound so much. I like balanced and warm sound more.
  • I'm not a basshead, but I want to feel presence of it when the time comes.
  • Open headphones, I will be using them in quite and alone environment mostly anyway.

 

How Much Can I Offer:

  • Around 300-350 USD. (I can get something used for this price too of course)

 

Thanks in advance, for your help!

 

Cheers!

post #21317 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecansmancan View Post

Take a look at the HD 600. I love mine. It's fantastically balanced. And apparently, more forgiving than it sister in terms of amping. Though her sister (HD 650) may have more bass. However, with balance comes the option of eq. SO you can kinda mold it to where ever you like. Now what i did was purchase my HD 600 used ($240) then bought the FiiO E10 ($60). I use the E10 as a DAC,  the amp isn't the best, not bad, just eh. And to top that off i got a fairly cheap pro amp (symetrix 304) also used ($50). And that seems to drive them pretty well. I don't have another dsesktop amp to compare to but it makes a huge difference form, an ipod. All in all that set up should run you right around what you want to pay and afford you some of the best sq for the buck. If you want more details (sound sig, retail location, general help with set up, or more questions) please, feel free to pm me.

If i could find the hd600s under 250 i will probably get them.  thanks for the suggestion, its good to know that the e10 can drive it ok.

post #21318 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by grinny View Post

Hello all! Can anyone help me to choose my next phones?

 

Equipment:

  • Asus Xonar Essence STX: Bought it after I completed my PC built, and I have to say I searched for them for a long time. Just to get the chance to drive upper grade phones for relatively less money.
  • Grado SR60: Got it from USA around 6 years ago, my first "real" headphones. Really like the phones to this day but can't listen to them for a long period. The sound seems just too fatiguing and bright for long period listening, still like the airness of open design and energy of these fellas tho.
  • Sennheiser MX 680: Bought them just for sports in mind, but kind of liked the sound (Meh). Since I don't have any better IEMs atm, I use them on a daily basis outside plus while doing sports. 
  • Audio Technica ATH-2: Got this one for mere interest in ortho phones, and didn't have any expectations since I got them for nearly nothing. Well, I can say it didn't surprise me with SQ in overall but has a kind of good detail in sound.
  • Sennheiser PXC 450: Couple of months ago I found a used and in good condition pair for around 50 USD. They were not the phones exactly in my mind but couldn't miss them for the price. Anyway, after I got them I realized that they are just sweet sweet phones. Haven't heard anything like them before, sounds detailed and smooth to my ears, but a little too smooth maybe. I kind of miss the openness and airy feel of music when I listen music on them.
     

Music Preference:

  • Rock based; Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Muse, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Porcupine Tree, Radiohead, City and Colour, Dream Theater,  etc.
  • Blues; John Lee Hooker, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Yavuz Çetin etc.
  • Other; jazz, soul, classic and little bit electronic music if I have mood (French House?)

 

What I Want:

  • Hear something what my PXC 450 cannot offer to my ears. Basically all I want to have is to feel the improvement.
  • Want to hear the detail and feel the sense of space in music, especially when I'm listening to live records. But that doesn't mean I like analytical and cold sound so much. I like balanced and warm sound more.
  • I'm not a basshead, but I want to feel presence of it when the time comes.
  • Open headphones, I will be using them in quite and alone environment mostly anyway.

 

How Much Can I Offer:

  • Around 300-350 USD. (I can get something used for this price too of course)

For a headphone that will work well with the Essence STX and has good sound, the Beyerdynamic DT880s

post #21319 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by jham1496 View Post

If i could find the hd600s under 250 i will probably get them.  thanks for the suggestion, its good to know that the e10 can drive it ok.

The E10 can drive it Ok. They are said to scale really well. So building a rig behind them isn't a bad idea either.

post #21320 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post

 

Unfortunately, both the XB500 and XB700 lack the clarity of any of the Ultrasones chuckle490 listed.

 

chuckle490, the most balanced set is the HFI-780, but if you want a stronger bass presence, you can get either the HFI-580 or the slightly louder DJ1 (sound quality is the same).

Not true about the XB700, the XB700 has a flim over it's driver that creates resonaces and reduces clarity. If you mod the Driver and remove that film two things happen

 

#1 clarity

#2 they Leak like mad and they don't isolate... all that well any more

 

and when you mod them the bass is deeper and the highs and mids are more clear... but I'm sure the HFI-780 is still more clear... but I paid $80 for my XB700s and I love em so much I want the XB1000

 

Now Here's is my Question

 

ANY ONE WANT TO BUILD AND SELL ME AN O2 DAC and a MMSS Amp :D, if so please pm me as I'm looking to geth these, and I'd like a recommender seller if you guys no some hard core DIYERS here that I can pm xD

post #21321 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

For a headphone that will work well with the Essence STX and has good sound, the Beyerdynamic DT880s

Also the DT 880 is always a good recomendation :3

post #21322 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

Not true about the XB700, the XB700 has a flim over it's driver that creates resonaces and reduces clarity. If you mod the Driver and remove that film two things happen

 

#1 clarity

#2 they Leak like mad and they don't isolate... all that well any more

 

and when you mod them the bass is deeper and the highs and mids are more clear... but I'm sure the HFI-780 is still more clear... but I paid $80 for my XB700s and I love em so much I want the XB1000

 

Indeed, the XB700 are more refined than the XB500. Still, clarity isn't something I'd attribute to either.

 

But I do imagine some modding might make the XB700 an interesting pair, and that includes switching the ear pillows (I love those things!) for regular pads in order to get a different sounding set.

post #21323 of 29490
So I am almost definately purchasing Schiit Asgard and Bifrost in the spring. And I am not sure what headphones to get. Currently looking at the LCD2. I mostly listen to heavy metal. EG iced earth, metallica, avenged sevenfold, and prog rock like pink floyd.

As of now my source is a Cowon D3 with Grado 325is and from my pc, Asus STX with A900. I love both setups. Any ya or nay to the lcd2s? What other headphones?
post #21324 of 29490

Would an iphone > XM6 > be enough to power HE-500's? Thanks!

post #21325 of 29490

nvm


Edited by Plooto - 11/19/12 at 4:57pm
post #21326 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post

Unfortunately, both the XB500 and XB700 lack the clarity of any of the Ultrasones chuckle490 listed.

chuckle490, the most balanced set is the HFI-780, but if you want a stronger bass presence, you can get either the HFI-580 or the slightly louder DJ1 (sound quality is the same).
I think i will Probably get the DJ 1 pros! Thank you!
post #21327 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckle490 View Post

I think i will Probably get the DJ 1 pros! Thank you!

 

Keep in mind I recommended the DJ1, not the DJ1 Pro. While the former is the HFI-580 counterpart, the latter is the Pro 550 counterpart, and I find the HFI-580/DJ1 to be better suited for your preferences.

post #21328 of 29490

@ Doc-Holliday : Yes, I understand that the DT990s are open; however, are there any alternative headphones with the same sound qualities/descriptions of the DT990s -- that are closed?

post #21329 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by winst View Post

@ Doc-Holliday : Yes, I understand that the DT990s are open; however, are there any alternative headphones with the same sound qualities/descriptions of the DT990s -- that are closed?

 

DT 770?

post #21330 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by winst View Post

@ Doc-Holliday : Yes, I understand that the DT990s are open; however, are there any alternative headphones with the same sound qualities/descriptions of the DT990s -- that are closed?

Well the DT770 are a good start. They obviously are not going to sound open like the 990 but they have a near open sound for a closed can IMO. Get the 80 or 250ohm and a portable amp like I mentioned in my other response.

Economical amp options to try to stay near your price range:

E11 with L9 cable $65 -- for use with your ipod only (as mentioned earlier). This is assuming your onboard sound on your laptop you are happy with.

E17 with L9 -- $140-$150 -- If you need a portable amp for the ipod that can double to replace the DAC/Amp circuit of your laptop. It plugs into your usb.

Get both the E11 with L9 cable $69 (for ipod) and E10 $65 (Dac/amp for laptop only) -- The E10 plugs into your usb and gets power that way. For use with your laptop or home computer. E11 takes batteries for use portably as an amp only for the ipod.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum