Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... - Page 1412  

post #21166 of 29491

Hey guys

I'm looking for a good headphone + amplifier solution for my desktop.

I only listening to rock and metal. The problem is that my budget is not 

very high. The maximum would be around 200 Euro.

 

Currently i have this setup in my mind:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0011UB9CQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1KVHQV3AZKKSGAKGARWN&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463375173&pf_rd_i=301128

 

+

 

http://www.amazon.de/Fiio-E10-USB-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005VO7LG6/ref=sr_1_4?s=ce-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1352905233&sr=1-4

post #21167 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

I would think the HD558s would be the best sounding out of the three.

And you can improve the sound of the HD558s by removing the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post

Agreed--the HD 558 is an excellent can and the 5x8 series offers sound and build quality improvment over the older 5x5 line.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

 

Bigger and better soundstage. Open headphones sound great. For instance, I love my Grado SR225i phones. But just not practical for public use.

 

Plus, not great for your hearing if you listen to your headphones loud; they have to be turned up louder to cut out background noise. 

 

 

I see. So, final question: I mentioned earlier that I was constantly reminded to worry about my "source" for listening to music. It seems like my MacBook Pro will be enough to enjoy most of the headphones potential, but will I be ok using it on my iPod, if I wanted to? I can handle using IEMs when on the bus and using my iPod, since I don't listen to it anywhere else, but will it be enough to power these things and not notice any weakness in sound?

post #21168 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjeena View Post

Hi there. I suggest you look at something in the Ultrasone range. I would suggest the HFI-780. It has an excellent bass response, but at the same time the bass is extremely clear and it doesnt sacrifice any of the mids. Initially the highs can be a bit harsh, but after a nice long burn in, they settle down and you end up with a very refined sound. These cans are excellent for EDM. I have a pair that I use to listen to Trance and House with. You wouldnt need an amp with these, they would sound great coming just from your smartphone or portable music player.
how long is the cable on those? What would they sound like with say a fiio E11? I really appreciate the reply!
post #21169 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckle490 View Post

how long is the cable on those? What would they sound like with say a fiio E11? I really appreciate the reply!

the cable used to be 3m. but a couple of years ago they changed it, now its a 1m or 1.2m cable on the headphones and they give you a 3m extension, which is fantastic IMO because i use them mainly out of the house.
Like I said you dont need an amp with them, but it does help. I have the E11, I would say it clears up the bass a bit more(not that it needs it) and it brings out more details in the mids. Especially with EDM, it helps you hear every tiny detail in the base layers! some songs in my library ive listened to many times, with the 780+E11 i heard the softest notes that ive never heard before. Overall it takes away a little of the harshness on the high notes and gives it a slightly warmer sound.
If you already have an E11, then i suggest you use it with these, its a great set up. If your thinking of buying one, I would suggest you get the headphones first, use them for at least a month or two, then decide if you need the E11, if not you've just saved some money smily_headphones1.gif

Hope this helps
post #21170 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post

Agreed--the HD 558 is an excellent can and the 5x8 series offers sound and build quality improvment over the older 5x5 line.


To reinforce KG's point, note that all three HD 5X8 cans use the same driver, as shown at http://www.head-fi.org/t/609634/hd-518-teardown-with-a-shocking-twist, which also has a discussion of the differences among the three headphones in the HD-5X8 line (518, 558, 598).

post #21171 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoGV View Post


To reinforce KG's point, note that all three HD 5X8 cans use the same driver, as shown at http://www.head-fi.org/t/609634/hd-518-teardown-with-a-shocking-twist, which also has a discussion of the differences among the three headphones in the HD-5X8 line (518, 558, 598).

Thanks everyone for your help.

Luck played its hand.

I was in HMV and they had a selection of headphones on display. I had a listen to a few pairs, then noticed some had special reductions for Xmas. The Sennheiser HD558 was reduced from £160 to £100. There was no stock in the store, so we did a deal and they sold me the display model for another 20% off.

Not only do the HD558 sound great with my iPhone 5, they are awesome with my tube amps.

Crazy crazy good sound.
post #21172 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjeena View Post


the cable used to be 3m. but a couple of years ago they changed it, now its a 1m or 1.2m cable on the headphones and they give you a 3m extension, which is fantastic IMO because i use them mainly out of the house.
Like I said you dont need an amp with them, but it does help. I have the E11, I would say it clears up the bass a bit more(not that it needs it) and it brings out more details in the mids. Especially with EDM, it helps you hear every tiny detail in the base layers! some songs in my library ive listened to many times, with the 780+E11 i heard the softest notes that ive never heard before. Overall it takes away a little of the harshness on the high notes and gives it a slightly warmer sound.
If you already have an E11, then i suggest you use it with these, its a great set up. If your thinking of buying one, I would suggest you get the headphones first, use them for at least a month or two, then decide if you need the E11, if not you've just saved some money smily_headphones1.gif
Hope this helps

I am definitely going to get the 780's in the near future, thanks! I am planning on getting the e11 next week, an ipod classic after that and then the ultrasone's! I'm also caught up in the world of car audio and I'm rebuying all my old music from iTunes either on cd, or off beatport. The cds will all be imported lossless and the beatport files will be 320 kbps.

post #21173 of 29491

 

 

Quote:

Hey guys

I'm looking for a good headphone + amplifier solution for my desktop.

I only listening to rock and metal. The problem is that my budget is not 

very high. The maximum would be around 200 Euro. 

 

That setup seems good. You could upgrade the Fiio e10 to the e17 if you wish but you don't need to. Also the dt990 pro offer excellent performance for the price. I'd buy them again if they didn't have that darn coiled cable 

post #21174 of 29491

I have a noob question here.

 

I am wondering if i need to get a DAC/Amp or just an AMP for AD900. I will want to plug my headphones into my HDTV through a weird looking cable, at the end of the cable is the normal female composite cable (Audio Red/Audio White/other video thing). If i plug an adapator cable (red/white to 3.5mm) and then i plug it into a normal amp, will i get an analogue signal or do i need a DAC feature on the amplifier to get the best results.

 

I also have a Optical input on the TV, if this is a way that will give me more quality, how do i go from Optical to an Amp or Amp/DAC if nessessary.

 

Thanks, sorry if this is confusing.

 

EDIT: I saw somewhere in a video, the guy said you can plug amps into USB port instead of 3.5mm on PC. Will that work if i plug an amp on the USB port on my HDTV? Will i get Analogue signal?


Edited by Ren19 - 11/14/12 at 6:10pm
post #21175 of 29491

Any other cans for edm?

post #21176 of 29491
Quote:

Any other cans for edm?

V-moda LP2

AT pro700mkII

AiAiAi TMA-1

 

I find that having a rolled off treble is good for EDM since a lot of the skrieky noises don't sound as pronounced and piercing.

post #21177 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckle490 View Post

Any other cans for edm?

U can also have a look as the Beyer DT 770 PRO. Although i find it to be not as engaging as HFI-780.
post #21178 of 29491

Will the on board amp on xonar ST/STX be enough to drive HD650s?

I'm looking into getting some to replace my sennheisers 555s

 

What to expect coming up from the 555s to 650s?
 

post #21179 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by L36i View Post

Will the on board amp on xonar ST/STX be enough to drive HD650s?

I'm looking into getting some to replace my sennheisers 555s

 

What to expect coming up from the 555s to 650s?
 

My Xonar STX drives my 250-Ohm & 600-Ohm headphones and your HD650s are 300-Ohm.

post #21180 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

My Xonar STX drives my 250-Ohm & 600-Ohm headphones and your HD650s are 300-Ohm.

Don't you have an amp between the STX and the headpnones or just using the on board amp on the sound card?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum