Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... - Page 1411  

post #21151 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiujk71 View Post

Thanks! But they are really, well, can't. $20 more is kinda no to them.

There is no Koss DJ series in the shop I am going to buy

http://www.stereo.com.sg/

 

OMG! Dang! Just found out SR 80i is just one dollar more expensive then the SRH 440! Well, guess I will put SR 60i off the list if i can!

Just checked the PortaPro's frequency response. It has more bass than SR 80i and SRH 440. I don't like the bass to be big, but I will give it a try if I head to the shop today.

http://en.goldenears.net/9862

 

Well, have you heard the SRH 440? Cause I don't really remember how the SR 80i sounds except the quantity of the bass is just right for me. Anyone knows how the SR 80i compares with SRH 440?

Interesting Shop... may I suggest Best Buy or Amazon.com lol

 

For any one looking to get into Audiophile head phones I really do love the Koss Pro DJ Series, if you want BASS then go with the Pro Dj 100, if you Don't then try the Pro Dj 200. There may be other Head phones for around $130 better than Koss Pro Dj 200, but that whole line has always impressed me! Compared to my Dt 880s the Koss Pro Dj 200's where not to bad :3, I ofc tested with lossless files to mind you! 

post #21152 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchapdaily View Post

do you mean why are open headphones designed? it is generally accepted that open ear headphones sound better than closed. in terms of sound quality, open is better than closed. im not saying closed cans sound bad, and there are some very good closed earphones. audio technica and denon come to mind. but in general, the more air a transducer has access to, the better. 

 

if your looking for high isolation, you may want to look into IEMs

What do you sacrifice with the IEMs, then? It just seems more and more people I see have the Over the Ears type and seem to enjoy better listening experiences with it. I'm not naive enough to think that more expensive means more quality, but am I wrong in thinking IEMs may not provide a better sound experience than even closed over the ears?

 

Denon is a name I've definitely heard. I think the D1100 was what someone suggested. Would it be silly to get, or even the HD558 to listen to music and movies/videos on the computer? As I stated earlier, if the iPod would be unable to support the headphones, I could listen to it with my SG3 headphones on the bus and not worry about the sound leaking.

post #21153 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandoo View Post

What do you sacrifice with the IEMs, then? It just seems more and more people I see have the Over the Ears type and seem to enjoy better listening experiences with it. I'm not naive enough to think that more expensive means more quality, but am I wrong in thinking IEMs may not provide a better sound experience than even closed over the ears?

 

Denon is a name I've definitely heard. I think the D1100 was what someone suggested. Would it be silly to get, or even the HD558 to listen to music and movies/videos on the computer? As I stated earlier, if the iPod would be unable to support the headphones, I could listen to it with my SG3 headphones on the bus and not worry about the sound leaking.

with IEMs, you definitely lose soundstage. and maybe some depth and imaging. with some iems, it feels like your listening to music with tiny little speakers in your ears. now this is exactly whats happening, but im not a big fan of it. im in the open over ear can camp, but i do enjoy the sound of a good iem. you can sacrifice some soundstage for portability and isolation. there are iems out there that offer relatively decent soundstage.

 

in regards to the 558: i own a set of hd555's which are the earlier version of the 558. if they sound similar, which i believe they do, they are good for movies and tv. im really a big fan of the 555 and is an easy recommendation as an entry level can for anyone, as long as you dont need lots of bass. and from my experience, as long as you dont listen to music/tv/movies super loud, they dont leak all that much sound. a lot less than other open cans ive listened to. but you do hear whats going on around you (which can be a good thing sometimes). now keep in mind this is relative, as i dont listen to music loud with my 555's. maybe someone else can chime in about the 555's sound leakage.

 

also as a side note, they dont really see much of an improvement when amped, if at all.


Edited by kchapdaily - 11/13/12 at 9:30pm
post #21154 of 29491
Can i get a reccomendation? I listen to primarily house, electro house, dubstep, and drum and bass. I'm currently using the sony xb 500 and i dont really like them that much. I,m not using an amp with my portable device yet though so that could be why, but istill want to upgrad. I have a budget of $200, but i'm flexible. I'm looking for hearing my music the way that its supposed to be heard, but at the same time having a good amount of bass, and warm mids and highs.I'm just starting out so pleaseexcuse any incorrect terminology and i hope my details are clear. Thanks for your time.
post #21155 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchapdaily View Post

with IEMs, you definitely lose soundstage. and maybe some depth and imaging. with some iems, it feels like your listening to music with tiny little speakers in your ears. now this is exactly whats happening, but im not a big fan of it. im in the open over ear can camp, but i do enjoy the sound of a good iem. you can sacrifice some soundstage for portability and isolation. there are iems out there that offer relatively decent soundstage.

 

in regards to the 558: i own a set of hd555's which are the earlier version of the 558. if they sound similar, which i believe they do, they are good for movies and tv. im really a big fan of the 555 and is an easy recommendation as an entry level can for anyone, as long as you dont need lots of bass. and from my experience, as long as you dont listen to music/tv/movies super loud, they dont leak all that much sound. a lot less than other open cans ive listened to. but you do hear whats going on around you (which can be a good thing sometimes). now keep in mind this is relative, as i dont listen to music loud with my 555's. maybe someone else can chime in about the 555's sound leakage.

 

also as a side note, they dont really see much of an improvement when amped, if at all.

On Amazon, I'm seeing the 558s for about $35 more than the 555s. Would it be best to spring for the 558, then, if I can afford that slight bump? I also see the HD280s are ranked higher, yet price lower than  the HD5XX's. Is that something worth looking at too?

post #21156 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandoo View Post

On Amazon, I'm seeing the 558s for about $35 more than the 555s. Would it be best to spring for the 558, then, if I can afford that slight bump? I also see the HD280s are ranked higher, yet price lower than  the HD5XX's. Is that something worth looking at too?

I would think the HD558s would be the best sounding out of the three.

And you can improve the sound of the HD558s by removing the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558.

post #21157 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandoo View Post

On Amazon, I'm seeing the 558s for about $35 more than the 555s. Would it be best to spring for the 558, then, if I can afford that slight bump? I also see the HD280s are ranked higher, yet price lower than  the HD5XX's. Is that something worth looking at too?

I would think the HD558s would be the best sounding out of the three.

And you can improve the sound of the HD558s by removing the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558.

Agreed--the HD 558 is an excellent can and the 5x8 series offers sound and build quality improvment over the older 5x5 line.

post #21158 of 29491

Could I possibly get a recommendation?  I'm looking for a headset that's about $100-150 on Amazon.  I mainly play games and listen to some music that's mainly classical and some rock (video game music to be precise... please don't judge...).  I'm not really a basshead, but I'd still like at least a touch of base for force in the music and games.  I'm currently using a Xonar DG.  I've been looking at the AD700s, but I'm just a plain indecisive person and reading many threads here has slightly dissuaded me from them.  Could I get a recommendation or two in my price range?

post #21159 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwinp View Post

Hi.

I'm here to ask advice for a new headphone as my previous one gave up on me a few weeks ago.
I don't know much about it, but I can list a few things that might narrow down the choises that suit my needs.


I mainly listen to Tech house, deep house and I also produce both. So i would like a headphone with at least some decent quality,

But I'm well aware that my budget isen't going to provide me studio quality either.

I'd also like to invest in an amp for better sound quality then the regular onboard devices aswell.

Note, I only want to invest if it sticks within my budget and if it's actually worth it (in terms of better audio quality then my motherboard)

In other words: If the headphone produces enough quality without amp i'd certainly consider that aswell. but if there's a good combo that would save me money i'm up for that aswell.

 

My budget is €150, but i'm willing to go upto 200 if the amp and/or headphone make a noticable difference.

 

Thanks!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjeena View Post


I would strongly suggest a pair of cans from ultrasone. As they do extremely well with EDM. I have the HFI-780 which is fantastic, it has very clean bass, and the mids are refined. Although its a bassy pair of headphones it doesnt sacrifice any of the details in the mids and highs.
They dont need an amp to run ideally, but do benefit from one. Current price on amazon.co.uk is £150. The FiiO E11, the amp i use, is currently £50.
Otherwise u could look at the HFI-580/HFI-680 which are very similar but have small differences.
As I havnt tried the 580 or 680, all i can say is that with the 780 i doubt youll be disappointed. Like I said, these headphones are all easy to drive, so an amp is not a necessity at all.    
hope u find what your looking for.

 

Hi, just bumping my request again. First quote shows my post and second quote shows an answer. I'd like to have some more input.
The HFI 780 looks great, but i'm still doubting between the HFI 680 with amp or the 780 without. Other options are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

post #21160 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minarets View Post

oh how my mind has changed so many times already this week.

i was hellbent on the M80, but am now thinking Phillips L1

 

i currently have the K81 DJ and love em.  thought about a k518 le/dj replacement, but after reading some reviews, the L1s are sounding really good.  

 

love controlled bass, but dont listen to bass heavy music, so it works well  i like a live sound to music. 

 

 

your thoughts

anyone?

post #21161 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandoo View Post

Why do they make headphones like this? Just curious. 

 

 

Bigger and better soundstage. Open headphones sound great. For instance, I love my Grado SR225i phones. But just not practical for public use.

 

Plus, not great for your hearing if you listen to your headphones loud; they have to be turned up louder to cut out background noise. 

post #21162 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwinp View Post

 

 

Hi, just bumping my request again. First quote shows my post and second quote shows an answer. I'd like to have some more input.
The HFI 780 looks great, but i'm still doubting between the HFI 680 with amp or the 780 without. Other options are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

 

I haven't heard the 680s but love my 780s. If you are down to these two, ask in the Ultrasone owners thread

post #21163 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckle490 View Post

Can i get a reccomendation? I listen to primarily house, electro house, dubstep, and drum and bass. I'm currently using the sony xb 500 and i dont really like them that much. I,m not using an amp with my portable device yet though so that could be why, but istill want to upgrad. I have a budget of $200, but i'm flexible. I'm looking for hearing my music the way that its supposed to be heard, but at the same time having a good amount of bass, and warm mids and highs.I'm just starting out so pleaseexcuse any incorrect terminology and i hope my details are clear. Thanks for your time.

Hi there. I suggest you look at something in the Ultrasone range. I would suggest the HFI-780. It has an excellent bass response, but at the same time the bass is extremely clear and it doesnt sacrifice any of the mids. Initially the highs can be a bit harsh, but after a nice long burn in, they settle down and you end up with a very refined sound. These cans are excellent for EDM. I have a pair that I use to listen to Trance and House with. You wouldnt need an amp with these, they would sound great coming just from your smartphone or portable music player.
post #21164 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabearz View Post

Hi,

 

I'm looking to get some headphones to replace my Sennheiser HD650 that recently broke. I've had them for around 8 years so it's pretty much all i've known in terms of audio experience and as such i might be inclined to a change of taste.

 

Not looking for anything portable, going to be using them on my computer for Music/Movies (70% of usage time) & Gaming.

As to music, i normally listen to vocal trance and alternative rock/metal. I'm guessing that would be a too wide range to consider so something good 'all-around' might suit me just fine.

 

The headphones will pair up with a Creative SB X-Fi Titanium HD + FiiO E9.

Willing to spend up to $200. As to ideas, i was checking out the Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 80Ohm and the Sennheiser HD598, but i might be looking in the wrong place so, thats why i'm asking for advice :)


Thanks in advance for any recommendations/tips you guys might have.

A little bump since i didn't get any love from you head-fi'ers! :x

post #21165 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabearz View Post

A little bump since i didn't get any love from you head-fi'ers! :x

 

Wow.. did you buy the HD650 when it's first released??,

I think you should rise your expenditure a bit, you can get the MS2i or the HE-400, they pretty much complement your HD650, i guess. But the DT770 PRO 80Ohm and the Sennheiser HD598 is pretty good though

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum