Having some trouble with deciding on my next headphone and DAC/amp purchase.
- My "desktop" DAC/amp is a FiiO E17. May not be the best, but it's what I could afford and it's improved my listening experience at home. Whatever I get will be driven by the E17 until play funds recover enough for a DAC/amp upgrade.
- I've learned that I greatly enjoy speed. The drum solo in Five Finger Death Punch's "Coming Down" sounds very different between my SR850s and Philips Uptowns and strongly favors the Uptowns. Accordingly, attack and decay are important. Base impact and extension > "amount" of base.
- I think I want more balance than a bass-, mid-, or treble-oriented headphone.
- I'd love a good soundstage.
- Headphone budget $400-450 ideally.
- I'd list music genres, but frankly they vary too broadly to be useful. Good "all around" headphones would definitely be appreciated vs one-genre-wonders.
- I have no bias for open or closed; it will be for home listening.
Right now, it seems the HD600 and HE-400 are the most well-spoken of in this price range. Incidentally, it sounds like both can be driven by an E17. Any other suggestions in this price range?
The HD600 you can get it from 2nd hand because it's a discontinued product, the HE-400 is more likely suit your demand, you might wanna consider the Grado SR325i also