or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 1389  

post #20821 of 29490

Hello.

 

I'm a bit new here and am looking for a good pair of closed cans with a mic (on the wire). I mostly listen to electronic, techno, and rock music. This shouldn't be to hard considering I am coming from the apple earbuds that came with my iPhone. So anything will do really. 

 

Thanks.

post #20822 of 29490

Hi all,

 

Here's a run down of my situation:

 

Right now I own a pair of ATH-700Pro MK2s. They were attractive to me because of the portability (college student) and I've really enjoyed them thus far. The one problem I have is that they clamp really hard, and listening for over an hour tends to hurt my head. I've tried a lot of stretching and nothing seems to solve the problem permanently, though I can get some momentary relief.  

 

However, I'm going to be graduating in December and going to work in an office/cubicle environment and I'm thinking about buying a new pair of cans for work. The MK2s just don't seem like they'll be comfortable enough for longer listening times. So here's what I'm looking for:

 

Closed back

Around or under $300 (cans alone or cans + amp)

COMFORTABLE

 

In terms of my music tastes, most of my listening at work will probably by electronic music, though some hip hop and indie rock will find it's way in there as well. So I guess while I'd like the cans to be on the bassier side, I definitely don't wanna sacrifice too much in the mids and highs. Let me know what you think!

 

Thanks in advance. 

 

Edit: Right now the DT770s are looking like front runners. At the $200 price point I can get them and a solid amp (from what I know, my knowledge of amps is quite limited) for under $300 total. 


Edited by Priptonite - 11/2/12 at 12:25pm
post #20823 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by octobre10j View Post

Hello.

I'm a bit new here and am looking for a good pair of closed cans with a mic (on the wire). I mostly listen to electronic, techno, and rock music. This shouldn't be to hard considering I am coming from the apple earbuds that came with my iPhone. So anything will do really. 

Thanks.

Philips Citiscape Uptown $65 dollars at Ben's outlet.

I haven't actually tested the mic. Just been listening to them for the last couple days and have been enjoying them.

You could also check the V-moda headphones like the m80 which ha a mic if I recall correctly. Good sounding portable headphone.
post #20824 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priptonite View Post

Hi all,

 

Here's a run down of my situation:

 

Right now I own a pair of ATH-700Pro MK2s. They were attractive to me because of the portability (college student) and I've really enjoyed them thus far. The one problem I have is that they clamp really hard, and listening for over an hour tends to hurt my head. I've tried a lot of stretching and nothing seems to solve the problem permanently, though I can get some momentary relief.  

 

However, I'm going to be graduating in December and going to work in an office/cubicle environment and I'm thinking about buying a new pair of cans for work. The MK2s just don't seem like they'll be comfortable enough for longer listening times. So here's what I'm looking for:

 

Closed back

Around or under $300 (cans alone or cans + amp)

COMFORTABLE

 

In terms of my music tastes, most of my listening at work will probably by electronic music, though some hip hop and indie rock will find it's way in there as well. So I guess while I'd like the cans to be on the bassier side, I definitely don't wanna sacrifice too much in the mids and highs. Let me know what you think!

 

Thanks in advance. 

 

K550.

post #20825 of 29490

Hey guys, still new here.. I hope this is the correct thread to ask this in.

I'm going to purchase the HD 598's but, I don't have a desk or room for a desktop amp.. My question is, can I use a portable amp/dac to drive them? I currently own the E11.

post #20826 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishpwnstar View Post

Hey guys, still new here.. I hope this is the correct thread to ask this in.
I'm going to purchase the HD 598's but, I don't have a desk or room for a desktop amp.. My question is, can I use a portable amp/dac to drive them? I currently own the E11.

Yes you can.
post #20827 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post


Yes you can.

Thanks for you input. Should I upgrade to the E17 or will the E11 work fine?

post #20828 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishpwnstar View Post

Thanks for you input. Should I upgrade to the E17 or will the E11 work fine?
the e11 is actually more powerful than the e17. The e17 has a built in dac and acts like an external "sound card" when plugged into a computer. If u dont neednthat function, stay with what u got. If u r using an iphone or idevice, just get yourself a line out cable (fiio L3 or L9). Since you already have the amp for portable use. You should just get the e10 for desktop computer use if that is within your needs. It will only be a 50 dollar upgrade and you will have the best of both worlds. Instead of droping over $100.
Edited by Doc-holliday - 11/2/12 at 11:40am
post #20829 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishpwnstar View Post

Hey guys, still new here.. I hope this is the correct thread to ask this in.

I'm going to purchase the HD 598's but, I don't have a desk or room for a desktop amp.. My question is, can I use a portable amp/dac to drive them? I currently own the E11.

 

Sure. Even the FiiO E5 does a great job.

post #20830 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi3zu View Post

I am looking for a pair of headphones in the 50$-100$ price range.

I had some Grado's a while ago and fell in love with the sound but they broke down on me. Since I couldn't get some others I got a pair of Sennheisers HD428 from a local retailer. I have to say that these sound completely BORING compared to the Grado's.

Now I'm planning on getting some Alessandro MS1's but I'd like to know if there is anything cheaper that can get me that Grado sound, or something similar. I'm mostly looking for some headphones that sound good with rock and of course guitars and who have that in your face sound. I'm not using any amp.

Thanks in advance

bump

post #20831 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi3zu View Post

bump

I'm not the most experienced listener but my understanding is that you will not beat the sound quality of the SR60i at that price point. As long as your listening environment allows for open cans (not a busy office, e.g.) they're as good as it gets.
post #20832 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priptonite View Post


I'm not the most experienced listener but my understanding is that you will not beat the sound quality of the SR60i at that price point.

 

Or maybe the SR80i at ~$20 more? Quite a few posters here think that's one of Grado's "sweet spots." (I haven't heard either.)

post #20833 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by elock37 View Post

 

Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond. I really chose closed headphones for their isolation. What if I were to look at two pairs of headphones? I could go with a lower-end (~$150) pair of closed headphones for travel and work and still leave myself enough money for a decent desk setup. Do you have a recommendation at that level?

 

Sound wise for the desk setup I'm looking for something neutral, maybe a slight tilt towards the low end. I'm open to suggestions of open or closed headphones and amp/DAC combinations. Do you have any recommendations for headphone and amp pairing at about $750 keeping in mind that these will be used 90% of the time to listen to FLAC from my desktop? Again, as far as genres go, I'm across the board. I listened to my country music playlist on my way home from work, I was listening to John Coltrane at my desktop last night, I'm listening to the new Mumford & Sons album at work, I'll probably listen to some Zeds Dead on the way home today and chill out with some Red Hot Chili Peppers later this evening. 

 

What general recommendations do you have for a budding audiophile? I've been reading recommendation threads all day and I'd love something to read or watch at work. 

 

Again, thank you for your input and opinions; it's helping me develop my own. 

 

EDIT:

 

After reading through the Battle of the Flagship thread, the description of the LCD-2 given seems to be what I think I'm looking for. It's slightly "darker", favoring mids and bass a little. This doesn't seem like a newbie headphone and it's a bit outside my range for what I want to do. Similarly, the Beyerdynamic DT 880s @ 600 ohm are said to be the "genre masters" and, paired with a "warm amp" could fill out the bass. These, at $349 on Amazon, paired with a quality desk amplifier could provide what I'm looking for. Any recommendations on an amplifier pair?

 

If you need some extra warmth vs what the DT 880 can give you, I'd probably just buy the HD 600. If you're trying to squeeze every dollar out of your budget, $350 for a DT 880 is a bit high, since refurb HD 600s or used DT 880s can be bought for around $250.

 

For separate setups, I'd have to say HE-400 with an Audio GD all in one or possibly an HD 600 with tubes. That leaves you around $200-$250 to spend on a portable headphone or iem. I'd personally spend the rest on an iem like a GR07 or TF10 for portability and SQ purposes. I find both to be better sounding than closed headphones in this price range (M50, SRH 840, KRK 8400).

post #20834 of 29490

Hello everyone,

 

First of all I'd like to thank all of the people who have given advice to others in the past here.  I've been reading through countless posts over the last few weeks and still can't make up my mind which headphones would be the best for my situation.

 

I am replacing a pair of Logitech G35 headphones/headset, but I've read a lot of advice and would rather do the clip-on mic method and get a better pair of headphones since I am a guitarist and avid music lover.

 

I liked the virtual surround of the G35 but they weren't nearly durable enough and the surround actually isn't that great with most music, it was interesting for gaming and movies.

 

Here's what I'm looking for in as much detail as possible:

 

HARDWARE:

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro with KX Drivers

 

I will mostly be using the 1/4" headphone jack contained on the external desktop interface that comes with the ZS Platnium pro to listen to music with whatever headphones I end up purchasing.

 

MAIN USE:
I would say 90% of the time, these headphones will be for listening to metal music (all types of metal including progressive, death, black, mainstream like Trivium/Slipknot/Metallica) and tracking/mixing guitars (both lead and rhythm mostly using a 7-string guitar with distortion so some lower mids I would guess would be important)

 

The other 10% of the time, I will use them to watch tv shows, movies or listen to music from the video games I play (mostly Everquest 2)

 

BUDGET:

$100-200 (No higher than $200 in any case)

 

SOUNDSTAGE:
I'm still kind of new at this so I don't really know much about the soundstage aspect but I'm guessing it's how the sound is positioned in your ears.  I liked the soundstage of the G35 for movies but for music I had to always turn it off because it made the music sound far away.  I want something where I can hear all the instruments clearly, especially the guitar solos and rhythms.  Bass isn't as important as most of you know in metal music, but it would be nice if it had at least a solid presence.  Some bands I listen to in particular are: Dream Theater, Symphony X, Testament, Metallica, Trivium, Cannibal Corpse, and lots of others.  I'm guessing I might like somewhat of an open soundstage but not to the point where things sound muddy or too far away. I will be listening to music and trying to mix guitars when I do tracking on the computer far more than watching movies but still would like something nice in the rare occasion I do watch a movie.

 

I was interested in the ATH-AD700s but I think they would be a bit TOO open since I really don't have the game sound on much when I'm playing but normally only music or people's voices.  I think I need something far more focused on listening to metal music and also mixing guitars/metal music.  The M50s seem to be pretty well respected for a set under $200 and I haven't heard much bad about them but I'd still like to know all of your opinions on the matter since many of you have been doing this for years and really know the specifics of many different types of headphones.

 

I realize at the end of the day, whether I like them or not is going to be very much up to the listener/me, but a nudge in the right direction would be a great help and also giving me a number of choices to consider might help me from buying one model when another one would have suited my needs far better.  If possible, please list pros and cons with your recommendations so I can watch reviews and do further research on any models you recommend.

 

Thanks in advance for any help, I appreciate your time.

 

-Jason

post #20835 of 29490
Quote:

MAIN USE:

I would say 90% of the time, these headphones will be for listening to metal music (all types of metal including progressive, death, black, mainstream like Trivium/Slipknot/Metallica) and tracking/mixing guitars (both lead and rhythm mostly using a 7-string guitar with distortion so some lower mids I would guess would be important)

 

The other 10% of the time, I will use them to watch tv shows, movies or listen to music from the video games I play (mostly Everquest 2)

For metal in your price range, Grados. The SR80i for $100. You can also get the L-cush pads for $20 which will make them sound much more like the $200 SR225i Grados. That will increase the bass, too, if you don't feel like the SR80is have enough. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum