So I'm looking to upgrade my headphones (aren't we all), so instead of clogging the forums, I'll come over here.
I'm looking for these qualities in a headphone, or at least, as many of the qualities as possible.
Non SQ related:
- A full sized open/semi open headphone. These are for home use, so isolation is not a priority.
- Less than or up to 250 USD. I don't want to break the bank. Willing to stretch budget 10-20 or so dollars.
- These would be amped through a Fiio E10. If I wanted to move around the house I have a Fiio E11.
- Fairly comfy. I'm not too picky. Velour would be nice, as I've never used velour before, but it's not a requirement.
- A detachable cable would be really nice, but I can live without one.
- A good soundstage. I don't want my music to sound congested and packed in.
- Treble: Currently I own the Superlux HD668B. They are my best cans. One of the things I like about it is the treble, but it can be fatiguing. I like a bright-ish type of sound, where the music feels "fast" and "energetic". So I'd like something similar to the HD668Bs treble, but reduced so it's not as fatiguing.
- Mids: I'd like forward mids, or if the mids are recessed on a potential headphone, the least recessed possible. Basically I want it to have presence. It's something I find is a little lacking on 668Bs. I've heard mid-range is really important for classical, and I listen to a fair amount of classical/jazz/instrumental.
- Bass: I'm not a basshead, so I'm not looking for boomy bass. Kind of the opposite of what I said for the treble, I like the bass on my HD668Bs, but I'd like it to have a little more presence. Not over emphasized where it rules the show, but so that it's there, and it still quality bass. On my HD668Bs sometimes it can get lost now and then. So I'd like something like the HD668Bs, but slightly more emphasized, while keeping it's quality/tightness (not boomy/loose).
- I'd also like the headphone to be detailed and accurate. That's another I like about my HD668Bs. But not so detailed that the tracks where I don't have them in HQ don't sound absolutely terrible, just normal terrible haha.
- Have a pretty wide genre bandwidth. I listen to classical, drum corps (think marching band minus woodwinds), rock, jazz, alternative, hip-hop, dance/punk, electronica. No metal or dubstep of any kind. I do have two other headphone though so if a possible candidate can't do it all, I have other options around I could use (Superlux HD668B, Sennheiser HD429)
- Some of the (primary) artists/composers I listen to: Arcade Fire, Muse, Radiohead, Frank Sinatra, Gorillaz, John Coltrane, Debussey, LCD Soundsystem, Skyrim Soundtrack(Jeremy Soule), Nine Inch Nails, Pink Floyd, The Killers.
Two headphone I was considering were the Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO 250ohm and the AKG Q701.
Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250-Ohm.