or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 1375  

post #20611 of 29490

Okay, I'm thinking of upgrading to a custom IEM, or a portable headphone, but I'm not quite sure which one to get. I'm thinking I'll stick with the CIEM and grab a Clear Tune Monitor CT200, but I want to know all that's available. I'm willing to spend up to 500.

Looking for a balanced sound for now. I listen to a variety of music. Hip-hop, Jazz, Rock, Baroque, anything with an orchestra, Ska, Post Rock, Soundtracks, and whatever the heck Akira Yamaoka makes, heh. I've tried a bunch of both warm and colder IEMs/headphones in the past, and I really enjoyed the ones I had for different reasons. I'm not too picky, as long as it isn't consumer-tier, haha. I think a tad warmer RE0 with a solid soundstage is what I'm looking for. Regular RE0 felt like it was just a touch too cold for me. Here's a list of some of the more notable stuff I've tried.

IEMs/Headphones I've enjoyed/loved (Bolded are my favourites)
Monoprice 8320
Audio Technica ESW10JPN
EarSonics SM2
Head Direct RE0
JVC FXT-90
JVC Victor FX500
Etymotic Research MC5

Did not like:
Audio Technica EW9

I've also had the chance to audition the Vsonic GR7 and GR1s for a couple of minutes. Even though the impressions were brief, I liked the GR1s a lot. As for the GR7s, it sounded a little underwhelming, but I think I couldn't get a proper seal.

I was thinking of going for SM3, but I wanted to jump a little further. (I've heard the upgrade from SM2 to 3 wasn't really that big) EarSonic customs are obviously out of my price range.

I've tried the B&W P5s, which I liked. I liked the sweet sound, but I don't think it was quite what I was looking for.

Thanks for looking.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. I won't be using an amp, and this'll be just straight out of a portable. My ears are a little sensitive to clamping, but as long as it's at least mildly comfortable, it should be okay. IEMs are fine though.


Edited by Ojsinnerz - 10/25/12 at 9:43pm
post #20612 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojsinnerz View Post



Looking for a balanced sound for now.

I am listening to my DT1350 right now and they will fit your needs. You should watch Tyll's video on them he raves about them. They are balanced and are not as bright as my other beyer phones. Bass is controlled and extends very low while having a pretty flat response overall.
Quote:
I've tried the B&W P5s, which I liked. I liked the sweet sound, but I don't think it was quite what I was looking for.

I auditioned those twice now and I liked them too. If you like the way they sound, they certainly are comfy with that real leather... why wouldn't you get them if you like the sound?

That being said I think the DT1350 fits your needs of portability and sound sig.
Quote:
EDIT: Forgot to mention. I won't be using an amp, and this'll be just straight out of a portable. My ears are a little sensitive to clamping, but as long as it's at least mildly comfortable, it should be okay. IEMs are fine though.

The DT1350 is rated at 80 ohms but don't let that fool you. All beyers i have are very efficient and these are no exceptoin. I have run them nicely directly from my little clip zip player. I add +3db on the bass setting to fit my needs and they sound just fine.
post #20613 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post
Quote


Hm. I have been thinking about the DT1350s, actually. I'll look into it for sure.

P5s... Well, I'll have to hear it again, since it's been a little while. I don't recall much about it besides remembering that it was "sweet sounding". I think my expectations for portable headphones have been set too high by my old ESW10s.

Oh, and I'm looking at the new Sony MDR-1R too, and see where that's going. I think I'm going to wait for more info, and choose between the three.

Thanks a lot for the help! Really appreciate it.

post #20614 of 29490

Sup Head-Fi'ers,

 

I currently own Sennheiser HD 25-1 II's and a pair of Klipsh s4i's. I'm looking to replace both of them, and here's why:

 

The Senn's are amazing. Don't get me wrong, hands down one of the best musical endeavors I've ever done. However, I find myself using my IEM's a lot more just because it's easier, and I don't have to worry about breaking a $200 headphone every time I go out. That being said, I've been using my HD 25's for a lot of gaming and listening to music while I game. After a while though, they start to hurt. The clamp is pretty strong on them, and my ears can't take it after about 3-4 hours into my sessions (I have some 6 hour crack sessions with my games and music sometimes). Also, the sound stage is pretty bad on them, although those footsteps come out crisp.

 

That being said, I wanted to replace them with a pair of cans that would do me good in the gaming world, but still deliver quality music (since I listen while I play). I don't mind the music sounding a bit lackluster if the actual game sounds better. Comfort is a big thing for me as well. I would like these to be Over Ears.

 

I know this part probably belongs in the IEM forum, so I apologize and I'll move it ASAP if I'm going against a rule by posting it here.

 

The Klipsh S4's I sort of bought on a whim. Been sticking with them, and they're alright, but I feel like there's something out there that will do me better. The Klipsh really don't give me a wow factor that I was hoping for out of my IEM's.My music consist of a lot of heavy metal rock, but I also like to chill out sometimes and listen to my peeps John Mayer and Jason Mraz. I also occasionally listen to Dubstep and Electronic music too, depends on my mood.

 

Price wise, I'd say I don't want to pay anywhere more than $150 for the gaming cans and $100 for the IEM's. But if there's a significant difference between one that's $130 and one that's $180, I don't mind paying the extra.

 

Sorry for the huge post Head-Fi'ers, hopefully you can help me out.

Thanks.


Edited by Bunchies - 10/26/12 at 12:03am
post #20615 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrok View Post

Was not too crazy about the hd650's treble presentation, but thanks for the recommendation.

I think that the hd650s are way overhyped. They are a good pair of cans but you can do much better for your money.
post #20616 of 29490

Hello.

I've done a fair bit of research on this website and other sources and came to a conclusion of what kind of headphones i'd like to get.

I want another opinion from you based on the info i'll provide.

 

Currently I'm listening to everything on a hifi with 2 50W speakers which im fully satisfied with but now i'm going to university and decided on getting some quality headphones.

 

I'll be using them on a laptop with the standard soundcard and don't need portability.

I've decided on full sized open ear headphones and am aware of the sound leaking.

Although i want an allarounder the music genres I spend most of my time listening to are:

Trance, (progressive) House, Drum and bass, classic dubstep, ambient, and sometimes progressive metal.

 

Based on those factors i've come to a conclusion of getting 250 ohm Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro with the JDS Objective2 amplifier (195$ for headphones and 140$ for the amp).

 

I want to hear your opinion on this choice and welcome a different recommendation for both headphones and desktop amp at a similar price.

 

Thank you in advance.

post #20617 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post

+1 DT1350 for a true portable. ++++1 actually.
Also if you are looking for a full sized to lug around... my akg550 matches your taste but if you have a smallish head, you won't get a good seal and judging by your pic (if that is you) you don't look like a real big dude.
BTW both mentioned are highly praised by Tyll, you can watch his vids on both.

yes that is me.. frown.gif
is the T70P also good?
post #20618 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by NujaBlessed View Post


dt1350.

any other headphone i should look into?
post #20619 of 29490
Is the custom ONE Pro fits my need?
post #20620 of 29490
For anyone on the fence trying to decide if they want to get an HD25-1 ii, Amazon prices just dropped $58 to $142, not for long probably.
post #20621 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojsinnerz View Post


Hm. I have been thinking about the DT1350s, actually. I'll look into it for sure.

P5s... Well, I'll have to hear it again, since it's been a little while. I don't recall much about it besides remembering that it was "sweet sounding". I think my expectations for portable headphones have been set too high by my old ESW10s.

Oh, and I'm looking at the new Sony MDR-1R too, and see where that's going. I think I'm going to wait for more info, and choose between the three.

Thanks a lot for the help! Really appreciate it.

odd that you found them sweet sounding, it just sounded really balanced to me.

post #20622 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRiNiCK View Post

Is the custom ONE Pro fits my need?


idk, you listen to some bassy cans, maybe you'll like it. i skipped over the chance to audition one, but it does look pretty cool and the concept is interesting.

post #20623 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by NujaBlessed View Post


idk, you listen to some bassy cans, maybe you'll like it. i skipped over the chance to audition one, but it does look pretty cool and the concept is interesting.
alright

Well the first headphone i want to audition is the UE 9000 or the PSB M4U2
then ill give the DT1350 a try
post #20624 of 29490

Hi Head-Fi'ers,

I posted this up on reddit/r/headphones the past week and wanted to get a second opinion.

I'm looking to get my first set of serious cans for listening to music on my PC. I'm currently using Panasonic RP-HTX7's and have grown accustomed to closed full headphones.

I listen to a lot of electronica (specifically dnb, glitch/ambient, trip-hop and trance, amongst others), some punk/metal, a bit of hip-hop as well as the odd bit of classical/orchestral. http://www.last.fm/user/ambientmf <-- Last.fm profile. I do know that this is a wide-range and I probably won't be able to get headphones that cover everything...No problem. 90% of my music is lossless FLAC. I do game occasionally and don't mind using my Panasonic for that.

 

So, here are the headphones I was thinking about picking up. My budget is $200 CAD.

 

  • Ultrasone HFI-780 (can get this from B&H for $190ish shipped to me in Canada)
  • Beyerdynamic DT770 250-ohm (80-ohm version is $20 more at a local place which would be breaking my budget a bit after taxes)
  • Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro (I like the bass selection but not sure if it's worth $200. This just comes in my budget if I get this at headphonebar in Canada, otherwise it's a bit out of my price range)

 

Those are the only 2-3 I'm looking at right now. If anyone has any better suggestions, please let me know. Price and availability in Canada kind of limits me too, just FYI. Phones like the ATH-M50's amongst others were not considered due to the (high) price and (lack of) availability up here. Thanks


Edited by ambient - 10/26/12 at 11:35am
post #20625 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

Hi Head-Fi'ers,

I posted this up on reddit/r/headphones the past week and wanted to get a second opinion.

I'm looking to get my first set of serious cans for listening to music on my PC. I'm currently using Panasonic RP-HTX7's and have grown accustomed to closed full headphones.

I listen to a lot of electronica (specifically dnb, glitch/ambient, trip-hop and trance, amongst others), some punk/metal, a bit of hip-hop as well as the odd bit of classical/orchestral. http://www.last.fm/user/ambientmf <-- Last.fm profile. I do know that this is a wide-range and I probably won't be able to get headphones that cover everything...No problem. 90% of my music is lossless FLAC. I do game occasionally and don't mind using my Panasonic for that.

 

So, here are the headphones I was thinking about picking up. My budget is $200 CAD.

 

  • Ultrasone HFI-780 (can get this from B&H for $190ish shipped to me in Canada)
  • Beyerdynamic DT770 250-ohm (80-ohm version is $20 more at a local place which would be breaking my budget a bit after taxes)
  • Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro (I like the bass selection but not sure if it's worth $200. This just comes in my budget if I get this at headphonebar in Canada, otherwise it's a bit out of my price range)

 

Those are the only 2-3 I'm looking at right now. If anyone has any better suggestions, please let me know. Price and availability in Canada kind of limits me too, just FYI. Phones like the ATH-M50's amongst others were not considered due to the (high) price and (lack of) availability up here. Thanks

i don't know where you are in canada, but AXE music sells the ATHM50 (and a few competing cans) i got mine for $175.  i didn't do extensive demoing but i picked my ATHM50's over the AKGK171, pioneer HDJ1000 and Denon HP700.  their website has a huge selection of phones and amps as well...

 

can't help you with the other cans, but check out a couple music stores and you'll be surprised at the phones they have.  i have shipped a few items from heaphonebar and the service is fantastic, with decent prices (and free shipping!)


Edited by ferday - 10/26/12 at 12:22pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum