I've got an ipod 5gen classic 60gb with rockbox. I use it A LOT. There are a few thing I want to do to it, but I wanted to know what I should do first, how much it would cost me, and what your opinions were? My headphones are ATHm50 and Vsonic GR04 flagship. Next pair will be hifi grade. Oh yeah, BTW it's all flac.
1. iMod? Worth it or not? What benefits do I get?
2. I want an amp, but not something crazy expensive. I was thinking the Fiio e12 when it comes out. Any thoughts?
I use the E17, which has a decent amp and a decent DAC, nothing fancy but more than good enough. My ATHM50's are so much better with the amp and i get way better battery life out of my ipod classic
3. Big one here, Cables. I've read some places that LOD means A LOT. Also read it doesn't mean much of anything? Which is it? Is the Fiio L9 good enough for do I need one of those fancy $200 ones?
an immediate and noticeable difference using the LOD. i use the fiio L9, never tried a fancy one...i can't imagine how anyone doesn't notice the difference here
4. Should I be playing my music through my iPod's line out, if not, how should I be playing it?
LOD, no question
5. Is the hard drive worth switching to SSD? I walk with it but not run. How much do these cost?
5. Am I correct in thinking that DAC's do not work with the older iPods?
6. I plan on also using this as a source in my car and for my home speakers. In both cases, it is a 3.5 mm jack. I noticed that with the line out, when compared to my nano's line out, sounds like garbo on my $1000 car system. Would a Fiio L10 fix this or at least help a little?
I haven't tried mine in the car yet (satellite radio LOL) but from what i understand, one can use the Fiio DAC to bypass the stereo as a pass-thru, which should make it way better
Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Respond to this or PM me if you want
I'm Using Foobar, stock, completely. When I use my computer as a source for my speakers and headphones it sounds really great. Are there any addins out there for it that I should know about or have to get more out of it?