Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... - Page 1342  

post #20116 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post

Hey all. New user here looking for some recommendations. I'm looking for some new cans, and I've been doing some research. I'd prefer to spend under $100, but I'd be willing to go to $150 if there was something really great and stylish. Here are the few I've been looking at:

 

Ultrasone 580 (lowest price I've found is $120)

Audio Technica ATH-M50 ($110 for black but would prefer white)

Reloop RHP-10 (I really like the green/white ones, $90)

Audio Technica ATH-WS55 (really digging the red/black, $78)

Numark Red Wave ($66 shipped)

 

As far as the type of sound I like, I generally like bassier sounding headsets and speakers. I'll probably be listening primarily from a smartphone (HTC Vivid, to be specific). I'll be using them to listen to music when I'm out and about, so portability would be nice but I'm no stranger to using bulky headphones in public. Sound quality and price are the two most important things to me. Also, I wear glasses, so if any of these are super uncomfortable with glasses, probably a no-go. Any tips/other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 

 

To me, the 580s have more bass impact than the M50s. Bass seems hotter overall. 580s are more engaging, partially due to the S Logic Plus surround effect. 

 

Normally, these phones can sound good with a smartphone, but they will provide even better SQ when used with an amp. 

post #20117 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodytang View Post

 

i haven't heard the kns8400, but i do have a friend who records acoustic music and uses the srh-840 as monitors, pretty neutral imo.

 

I've been looking at those as another possibility. Partially because I can do the 940 pads on them and supposedly that smoothes out some of the bass hump the 840s have. But I don't know if those pads destroy the seal, I suspect they do. My AKG 420 is really good at picking up anything in front of it and my closest headphones to monitors currently are my Q701s which are amazing for mixing, but not for recording.

post #20118 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post

Limiting selections to closed headphones, the best match is probably the AKG K 550--provided you can get a proper seal.  Beards, side burns, long hair between the cans & your ears, and sometimes glasses can pose problems.

Noted. Thank you KG Jag. I think proper seal is not a problem for me though. I have a short hair and I dont wear glasses. So no worries. I heard that AKG headphones are bass-light headphones. Is the K 550 bass-light too?

post #20119 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post

 

I've been looking at those as another possibility. Partially because I can do the 940 pads on them and supposedly that smoothes out some of the bass hump the 840s have. But I don't know if those pads destroy the seal, I suspect they do. My AKG 420 is really good at picking up anything in front of it and my closest headphones to monitors currently are my Q701s which are amazing for mixing, but not for recording.

I had read that the 940 pads on the 840 ruins the sound. Have not tried it personally, but I remember reading that it doesn't sound good. What if you looked into the classic Sony V6 or 7506?

post #20120 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

There is also the Koss DJ Pro 100, which I hear is Budget king, you may be able to find it under $100 

It is great, but needs an amp for sure. Has a bit of a mid-centric sound with some roll off in the highs. It can be found regularly in the $50-$70 range too.

post #20121 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster2010 View Post

It is great, but needs an amp for sure. Has a bit of a mid-centric sound with some roll off in the highs. It can be found regularly in the $50-$70 range too.

indeed and sadly a Fiio E6 would get it right up to the $80-100 range... maybe you can find a nice combo from another user here... I have an E6 I can maybe sell for like $15+shipping... heck man if u could just pay the shipping xD I might just hand it over extra cheaply ;3 since I dont need it

post #20122 of 29491

New user here looking for some recommendations. I'm looking to give headphones a try.

 

Some back ground info. I have a Pioneer SX950 and Sansui G8000 for amps available. I mostly listen to jazz, female vocal, and rock. Looking for a headphone to fit these music genres. I have been trying to do some research and feel overwhelmed by what is available. I am setting my initial budget at $150. That should get me into a "good" first set to try out. My only experience is a set of Sony MDR-CD180's. These will be for home use only. Also, open or closed cans are fine.

 

I know I eventually would like to try some HD650's and then build up to some LCD-2's. These have been stated to be good matches for the amps I have. But for now, I have been looking at some new and old set ups. Here are some that I have been researching:

 

Koss DJ100/TB

Stax SR-34/44

Pioneer Monitor 10

Audio Technica AT-705/706

Audio Technica ATH-M50

Fostex T40v1

AKG K340/240

Sennheiser HD598 (used is slightly over budget)

 

Your comments and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

 

Thanks

post #20123 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by weverb View Post

 

 SX950 and Sansui G8000 for amps available. I mostly listen to jazz, female vocal, and rock. Looking for a headphone to fit these music genres. . These will be for home use only. Also, open or closed cans are fine.

 

Koss DJ100/TB

 

 

Your comments and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

 

Thanks

Wait those amps are full size... DANG dude NICE freaking amps! if I was you I'd save up for like a Dt 880 600 ohm, but it's twice your budget... you can try the Dj 100 but I'm not sure if your amp is too powerful for it or not... >.> jeeze dude you got some gear

 

Also DO NOT get the Audio Technica ATH m50 they are a BASS heavy can and won't be to good for Jazz and Female vocals. As I like my Classical Vocal Jazz on a very neutral can [dt 880 250 omh] but I would find the output of your amps first then look into cans that won't explode if u plug em into those monsters xD

 

there is also the option of the good ole Cheap Koss Dj 100 Fiio E6 combo! But again those amps... look nice I'd save up for some nicer cans that can REALLY take advantage of those

post #20124 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by weverb View Post

New user here looking for some recommendations. I'm looking to give headphones a try.

 

Some back ground info. I have a Pioneer SX950 and Sansui G8000 for amps available. I mostly listen to jazz, female vocal, and rock. Looking for a headphone to fit these music genres. I have been trying to do some research and feel overwhelmed by what is available. I am setting my initial budget at $150. That should get me into a "good" first set to try out. My only experience is a set of Sony MDR-CD180's. These will be for home use only. Also, open or closed cans are fine.

 

I know I eventually would like to try some HD650's and then build up to some LCD-2's. These have been stated to be good matches for the amps I have. But for now, I have been looking at some new and old set ups. Here are some that I have been researching:

 

Koss DJ100/TB

Stax SR-34/44

Pioneer Monitor 10

Audio Technica AT-705/706

Audio Technica ATH-M50

Fostex T40v1

AKG K340/240

Sennheiser HD598 (used is slightly over budget)

 

Your comments and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

 

Thanks

 

Probably the first step is to do a little research and figure out what kind of impedance headphones your headphone jack on your amps can handle. For example, there is a chance low 32/38 ohm headphones like the M50 and Koss DJ100 might not be a good choice.

post #20125 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

 

Probably the first step is to do a little research and figure out what kind of impedance headphones your headphone jack on your amps can handle. For example, there is a chance low 32/38 ohm headphones like the M50 and Koss DJ100 might not be a good choice.

Yea my point exactly... low impedance might get over driven and that may sounds pretty BAD for your ears and ur wallet >.> 

post #20126 of 29491

Thanks Mshenay and cel4145.

 

Both amps have a -20db mute option. A must for headphone use. My cheap Sony's seem to work just fine, but sound wise are lacking. I have been told the HD650's, HE-500's, LCD-2's, but I think they are higher impedance cans.

 

Just looked at specs of the 950, the headphone jack output just says "low impedance".


Edited by weverb - 10/13/12 at 8:16pm
post #20127 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post

 

I've been looking at those as another possibility. Partially because I can do the 940 pads on them and supposedly that smoothes out some of the bass hump the 840s have. But I don't know if those pads destroy the seal, I suspect they do. My AKG 420 is really good at picking up anything in front of it and my closest headphones to monitors currently are my Q701s which are amazing for mixing, but not for recording.

 

this may be an odd suggestion, but have you tried the beyerdynamic dt1350? i found it to be the king of portable headphones and is comparable if not better than full sized headphones at the same price. very neutral, and has a very good seal. a few downsides is that it might be uncomfortable depending on the person and the fit is finnicky.

post #20128 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by weverb View Post

Thanks Mshenay and cel4145.

 

Both amps have a -20db mute option. A must for headphone use. My cheap Sony's seem to work just fine, but sound wise are lacking. I have been told the HD650's, HE-500's, LCD-2's, but I think they are higher impedance cans.

 

Just looked at specs of the 950, the headphone jack output just says "low impedance".


are you sure you want to end on the LCD-2? i would think the HE-500 would be a better all arounder and to me it's very good value and performance. you should try to audition all of the cans you want and the competition in the same price range before you make a solid choice.

post #20129 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodytang View Post


are you sure you want to end on the LCD-2? i would think the HE-500 would be a better all arounder and to me it's very good value and performance. you should try to audition all of the cans you want and the competition in the same price range before you make a solid choice.

 

No, just going off comments from other 950 owners who have tried them out. I would like to audition all of them, but finances tend to get in the way of that.

post #20130 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by weverb View Post

New user here looking for some recommendations. I'm looking to give headphones a try.

 

Some back ground info. I have a Pioneer SX950 and Sansui G8000 for amps available. I mostly listen to jazz, female vocal, and rock. Looking for a headphone to fit these music genres. I have been trying to do some research and feel overwhelmed by what is available. I am setting my initial budget at $150. That should get me into a "good" first set to try out. My only experience is a set of Sony MDR-CD180's. These will be for home use only. Also, open or closed cans are fine.

 

I know I eventually would like to try some HD650's and then build up to some LCD-2's. These have been stated to be good matches for the amps I have. But for now, I have been looking at some new and old set ups. Here are some that I have been researching:

 

Koss DJ100/TB

Stax SR-34/44

Pioneer Monitor 10

Audio Technica AT-705/706

Audio Technica ATH-M50

Fostex T40v1

AKG K340/240

Sennheiser HD598 (used is slightly over budget)

 

Your comments and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

 

Thanks

If you really want female vocals to shine, try to find a used Shure SRH940. It needs an amp, so that's good that you have that covered already. It gives unbelievable detail and is one of if not the best for female vocals in the sub $500 category.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum