or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 1340  

post #20086 of 29490
Quote:

All of those are excellent brands and each offers some outstanding (as well as not so outstanding) cans.  Of course I can't say what will be the best pairing with your equipment.  What is your headphone budget?

 

My gut is telling me that you may be head for Beyer DT 880 or T1 or Senn with a number higher than 600.  On the other hand it could just be the Mexican food.

 

Can your rig push planars?  [I'm guessing "yes".] 

 

Hi, 

 

Thank you for your reply.

I will take a look at those you suggested. 

I think that if I spend around 500 euro's I must get me some good gear :)

 

Planars are those electrostatics? I'm not sure. I have been told that my speaker amplifiers are not the best for that purpose but maybe the Ventus EZ Headphone amp is. They're advertised as such; "Driving the most demanding Headphones".

But I'm really thrilled by the sounds of planars!

So what can you reccommend me on that one?

 

Jordo

post #20087 of 29490

Hello Everyone,

 

Can someone please recommend me a full-sized headphone that suits my preference. I got a Creative Aurvana Live and a Philips Citiscape Uptown and unfortunately they are not for me. I also have a Koss PortaPro and they are actually good but I want a headphone with more clarity and detail in the vocals. I decent amount of bass would be good too.

 

The type of genre I listen to is Alternative(mostly), Alternative Rock, Pop Rock, Rock, Country and a little bit of Reggae. These are some of the bands that I listen to: 3 Doors Down, Nickelback, Dishwalla, Lifehouse, The Calling, The Used, The Cab, The Fray, 30 Seconds to Mars, All Time Low, Hey Monday, Automatic Loveletter, Wheatus, We The Kings, Yellowcard, Saosin, Taylor Swift, Taking Back Sunday, Sublime, New Found Glory, Breaking Benjamin and Mayday Parade.(Yes, I know I stated a lot but I just want you to picture out what kind of music I am into. Hehee) 

 

My setup is a Laptop with a Fiio E17. My Budget is up to $300. I can stretch a little bit but I prefer if the headphone is in the $100-$200 price range. A Closed-type headphone is what I'm after(Don't want to disturb anyone at home) but I'm also open to Open-type headphones. Looks doesn't matter to me as long as it can deliver the sound I desperately wanting to hear.

 

Thank you so much in advanced for helping me. Have a nice day! :)


Edited by FrozenFlame - 10/13/12 at 1:18am
post #20088 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordi81 View Post

 

Hi, 

 

Thank you for your reply.

I will take a look at those you suggested. 

I think that if I spend around 500 euro's I must get me some good gear :)

 

Planars are those electrostatics? I'm not sure. I have been told that my speaker amplifiers are not the best for that purpose but maybe the Ventus EZ Headphone amp is. They're advertised as such; "Driving the most demanding Headphones".

But I'm really thrilled by the sounds of planars!

So what can you reccommend me on that one?

 

Jordo

 

Planars headphone you can try the Hifiman HE500 ($699) & HE6 (above $1k), Audeze LCD2 (Rev1 & 2 above $1k), as Electrostatics headphone you can try the STAX lineup SR007 MK2 & SR009 (the SR009 quite expensive cost around $5000 and Electrostatics headphone needs a special amp such as blue hawai or stax srm amp since it uses a pin plug)

post #20089 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordi81 View Post

 

Hi, 

 

Thank you for your reply.

I will take a look at those you suggested. 

I think that if I spend around 500 euro's I must get me some good gear :)

 

Planars are those electrostatics? I'm not sure. I have been told that my speaker amplifiers are not the best for that purpose but maybe the Ventus EZ Headphone amp is. They're advertised as such; "Driving the most demanding Headphones".

But I'm really thrilled by the sounds of planars!

So what can you reccommend me on that one?

 

Jordo

Planars (originally called Orthodynamic) headphones are different from electrostats, which need a special type of amp to drive them.  Planars generally demand a great deal of power from your amp, but not a different kind of amp.  The major disadvantage of planars is that they are heavy.  More on them if you are interested:

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/how-planar-magnetic-headphones-work

 

The planar HiFiMan HE-500 is an outstanding planar can and value. 

post #20090 of 29490

Thanks all!

 

I have dropped a question on the Twisted Pear forum if the Ventus EZ Amp is suitable.

 

I will go study on this subjects :)

 

Jordo 

post #20091 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenFlame View Post

Hello Everyone,

 

Can someone please recommend me a full-sized headphone that suits my preference. I got a Creative Aurvana Live and a Philips Citiscape Uptown and unfortunately they are not for me. I also have a Koss PortaPro and they are actually good but I want a headphone with more clarity and detail in the vocals. I decent amount of bass would be good too.

 

The type of genre I listen to is Alternative(mostly), Alternative Rock, Pop Rock, Rock, Country and a little bit of Reggae. These are some of the bands that I listen to: 3 Doors Down, Nickelback, Dishwalla, Lifehouse, The Calling, The Used, The Cab, The Fray, 30 Seconds to Mars, All Time Low, Hey Monday, Automatic Loveletter, Wheatus, We The Kings, Yellowcard, Saosin, Taylor Swift, Taking Back Sunday, Sublime, New Found Glory, Breaking Benjamin and Mayday Parade.(Yes, I know I stated a lot but I just want you to picture out what kind of music I am into. Hehee) 

 

My setup is a Laptop with a Fiio E17. My Budget is up to $300. I can stretch a little bit but I prefer if the headphone is in the $150-$200 price range. A Closed-type headphone is what I'm after(Don't want to disturb anyone at home) but I'm also open to Open-type headphones. Looks doesn't matter to me as long as it can deliver the sound I desperately wanting to hear.

 

Thank you so much in advanced for helping me. Have a nice day! :)

Limiting selections to closed headphones, the best match is probably the AKG K 550--provided you can get a proper seal.  Beards, side burns, long hair between the cans & your ears, and sometimes glasses can pose problems.

post #20092 of 29490
Hey guys,

I found a few 'similar' threads, and but none really answered my question...

I'm looking for a pair of full size, and mainly to listen to : rock, and metal, and electronica.

Which would be the more appropriate for me?

The Beyerdynamic custom one pro or the ATH M50?

I really care about the sound detail and the bass/impact.

Thanks!
post #20093 of 29490

So I need a pair of closed monitors for use in recording voice over. I'm looking for a neutral pair of closed headphones in the $200 or less price range. They may be used for music down the road but their primary function is to monitor my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and to mix the recordings in post, so something fairly neutral is desired. I prefer soft velour pads but that may not be possible in my budget. Also, I like durability as these will be used when traveling, but again I know the budget constraints have their limits. Any thoughts? I was looking at something like the KNS8400.

post #20094 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post

So I need a pair of closed monitors for use in recording voice over. I'm looking for a neutral pair of closed headphones in the $200 or less price range. They may be used for music down the road but their primary function is to monitor my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and to mix the recordings in post, so something fairly neutral is desired. I prefer soft velour pads but that may not be possible in my budget. Also, I like durability as these will be used when traveling, but again I know the budget constraints have their limits. Any thoughts? I was looking at something like the KNS8400.

I think you are on right track.

post #20095 of 29490

Hi!

I'm looking for a pair of Over-Ear headphones in between 70-90(100)USD (I live in Norway but converted the price for the sake of this post.).

I'm a total newbie when it comes to this headphone thing so I'm asking for some advice.

 

I usually listen to EDM, but there isn't a single genre I wouldn't want to listen to (maybe Opera lol normal_smile%20.gif).

I would like some good bass in them. What I will be using them for is mostly at school and other places that are not at home, so they need to have some portability.

I will most likely play them off my mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy Note) and maybe my old Ipod Nano. I would prefer a pair that doesn't need an amp as well.

 

What I have already looked at is the AKG K99 and AKG K14 (MK II), opinions?

 

Hopefully this is understandable enough for you guys so you can help me out a little bit here, and maybe reccomend/direct me to a pair.

Oh! Almost forgot, since I will be using them at public places I do not want them to look awful haha. :)

 

- Eewee


Edited by Eewee - 10/13/12 at 1:15pm
post #20096 of 29490

Hi guys,

 

Looking for some help.

 

I just bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 M (80ohm) headphones.  They're great.  Sound quality is excellent.  However, they are a lot bigger than I expected, and the carry case for them is almost half the size of a big briefcase!  They're really not headphones I can take traveling/out and around. 

 

So I want something a little more portable (knowing that I will sacrifice a bit of sound quality).

 

Say all you want about the Beats headphones, but one thing they really have going for them is that they fold up nicely/without taking too much space, and the cable actually detaches itself from the headphone (which has a jack), saving even more space. Something a little more like that, but better quality/value for money would be perfect.

 

My ideal characteristics (though I am willing to compromise) would be:

 

-Over ear

-Decent sound quality (though I know it won't be as good as the DT770, and I'm thinking I may not even really notice a difference to be honest)

-Portable - ie. can fold up and stored in my backpack along with lots of my other gear (and the detaching cable would just be a bonus)

-I would prefer a closed set, since I don't want people to have to hear what I'm listening to, though I understand this may be limiting the choice down too far and would compromise as long as it wasn't a pair of headphones notorious for leaking a massive amount of sound. I also understand sound quality in open headphones is (generally speaking) better than closed.

-Price range - I spent £120 on the DT770 from Amazon. I would be willing to spend a similar amount on these, or even a bit more - it just depends on how ideal the headphones are.

 

 

Many thanks for your help.

post #20097 of 29490

Hi, I've ordered the Beyerdynamic DT990 myself, and I listen mostly to the same genres as you. I haven't received them yet so I can't comment on how they sound, but check them out perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCom View Post

Hey guys,
I found a few 'similar' threads, and but none really answered my question...
I'm looking for a pair of full size, and mainly to listen to : rock, and metal, and electronica.
Which would be the more appropriate for me?
The Beyerdynamic custom one pro or the ATH M50?
I really care about the sound detail and the bass/impact.
Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Creative Aurvana Live would be an alternative, at least they fit your budget and are widely recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eewee View Post

Hi!

I'm looking for a pair of Over-Ear headphones in between 70-90(100)USD (I live in Norway but converted the price for the sake of this post.).

I'm a total newbie when it comes to this headphone thing so I'm asking for some advice.

 

I usually listen to EDM, but there isn't a single genre I wouldn't want to listen to (maybe Opera lol normal_smile%20.gif).

I would like some good bass in them. What I will be using them for is mostly at school and other places that are not at home, so they need to have some portability.

I will most likely play them off my mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy Note) and maybe my old Ipod Nano. I would prefer a pair that doesn't need an amp as well.

 

What I have already looked at is the AKG K99 and AKG K14 (MK II), opinions?

 

Hopefully this is understandable enough for you guys so you can help me out a little bit here, and maybe reccomend/direct me to a pair.

Oh! Almost forgot, since I will be using them at public places I do not want them to look awful haha. :)

 

- Eewee

post #20098 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by karansaraf View Post

Hi guys,

 

Looking for some help.

 

I just bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 M (80ohm) headphones.  They're great.  Sound quality is excellent.  However, they are a lot bigger than I expected, and the carry case for them is almost half the size of a big briefcase!  They're really not headphones I can take traveling/out and around. 

 

So I want something a little more portable (knowing that I will sacrifice a bit of sound quality).

 

Say all you want about the Beats headphones, but one thing they really have going for them is that they fold up nicely/without taking too much space, and the cable actually detaches itself from the headphone (which has a jack), saving even more space. Something a little more like that, but better quality/value for money would be perfect.

 

My ideal characteristics (though I am willing to compromise) would be:

 

-Over ear

-Decent sound quality (though I know it won't be as good as the DT770, and I'm thinking I may not even really notice a difference to be honest)

-Portable - ie. can fold up and stored in my backpack along with lots of my other gear (and the detaching cable would just be a bonus)

-I would prefer a closed set, since I don't want people to have to hear what I'm listening to, though I understand this may be limiting the choice down too far and would compromise as long as it wasn't a pair of headphones notorious for leaking a massive amount of sound. I also understand sound quality in open headphones is (generally speaking) better than closed.

-Price range - I spent £120 on the DT770 from Amazon. I would be willing to spend a similar amount on these, or even a bit more - it just depends on how ideal the headphones are.

 

 

Many thanks for your help.

Ultrasone HiFi 780--no detachable cable, but comes with short cable for portable use + an extension for other uses.

 

BTW--did you know that the 770M is designed for drummers?


Edited by KG Jag - 10/13/12 at 1:29pm
post #20099 of 29490
Ok guys for the past week or so I've been trying to look for my first pair of decent headphones, coming from a pair of 30$ in ears. My watching numerous reviews and reading god knows how many forum posts my firs choice was going to be the ATH M50 le with a removable cable from soundprofessionals, but I had time on my hands and decided I'd do further research and found suggestions that Shure SRH840 were a better pair as well as HFI 580. So now I'm completely unsure as to which pair are right for me which is the point of this post. So please help me make a decision.

Here's some info that should help:

I listen to almost any genre of music except for country I can go from listening an Elvis song to some dubstep back to the Beatles then to some screamo. So basically I want an all around headphone.

My budget is 200$
The Ath M50s are 169$
The SRH 840s are 159$

I want closed back.

Thanks. Any help is appreciated.
Edited by PhillyPhil - 10/13/12 at 1:53pm
post #20100 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post

So I need a pair of closed monitors for use in recording voice over. I'm looking for a neutral pair of closed headphones in the $200 or less price range. They may be used for music down the road but their primary function is to monitor my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and to mix the recordings in post, so something fairly neutral is desired. I prefer soft velour pads but that may not be possible in my budget. Also, I like durability as these will be used when traveling, but again I know the budget constraints have their limits. Any thoughts? I was looking at something like the KNS8400.

Try to get a pair of Used Dt 880s... mega comfy an netrrual

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum