Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... - Page 1311  

post #19651 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garquill View Post

I forgot about the parts where I don't want to hear my girlfriend.....

Now THAT is a desireable feature of a good headphone.... beyersmile.png
post #19652 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post


Now THAT is a desireable feature of a good headphone.... beyersmile.png

well he could always get rid of the GF and get something open.......

post #19653 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


Are open can OK for you--they leak sound?


The $500 neighborhood is more a less an in between place.  Plus your portable amps are probably not powerful enough or good enough to get the most out of better cans in this price range.

 

The former flagships (or update versions of same) all fall below $500, but all really need better amping than you have.  Included in this group are the excellent (but often quite different) Senn HD 600 & 650, Beyer DT 880 and AKG Q701.  These are all open or semi open.  The open Grado RS2i is also an excellent can that requires no amping from a quality source.  The next big step up is the HIFiMan HE-500, but that's way over your current budget and too hard to drive with little portable amps.

 

Of the current crop of closed cans, the Shure SRH 940 is very good for your needs and well under your budget.

 

I don like the closed AT cans you mentioned.  There are better choices for the money.  The open AT ATH-AD900 is very good and easy to drive for about $190 to $230.

post #19654 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by evomunk View Post

Its been about a year now since I've owned the ATH-M50s. Now, I want to make my next upgrade. My budget is probably about 300. I've had my eyes on the ATH-a900x for quite some time now. I mostly listen to music on my desktop using an ASUS Xonar DG soundcard.


You need to tell us about the sound signature you are seeking.  Those two closed AT cans sound very different from one another.  You also need to let us know if you're limiting you options to closed cans.

post #19655 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUbiquitous View Post

Hello!

I'm looking for a pair of headphones to be driven by an Ibasso DX100. What I'd like is a pair of open headphones that are an improvement over my ATH-M50. I listen to all kinds of music so it would have to be a nice all round performer in this aspect. Also my budget would be 500 USD tops.

Please let me know if I can help you help me any further!

Tanks


You'll have to tell (at least some of) us what your Ibasso will drive.  Beyond that you need to describe the sound signature that you are seeking.and whether or not you are OK with open cans.

post #19656 of 29491

A couple years ago, I was ready for my first foray into "high-end" audio; I did a lot of research on the forums and settled on Fischer FA-011 headphones coupled to a Fournier DAC-2 amplifier.  In short, I'm very happy with the combo - the sound is far superior to any other headphones I have owned, although that's not really a high bar.  Truthfully speaking, I don't find that the amp adds much to the  FA-011s, perhaps because they are so easy to drive anyway, or perhaps because I'm not really an audiophile.  I'll leave it to you to interpret, but wouldn't really call myself too picky.  

 

I took my existing equipment to work, and now find myself needing new headphones for the house because I have a new baby and my speakers don't go over well with him at the moment.  The problem is that after re-reading LFFs reviews, nothing else seems like it can match up in that price range.  Surely this can't be true, so I am submitting to you for more opinions.  Here's what I'm after:

 

1.  ~$200 price range, absolutely not higher than $250

2.  Prefer circumaural and open phones (so I can hear the baby/wife)

3.  would be happy to bring my amp home if needed

4.  I listen to a wide range of music, but no country or classical.  60s-80s hard rock is my favorite.

5.  Prefer visibly quality construction

 

Part of me wants to get SR80s or 225is and see what all the Grado fans are on about, but I hear that they suffer from appallingly cheap construction and that's a bit of a turn-off.  Yesterday I almost pulled the trigger on some Fischer Audio Jubilate headphones, thinking that the more neutral sound would complement the colored/"fun" sound of the FA-011s.  And yet another part of me thinks: I already love the sound - why not just get another pair of FA-011s.  Anyway, I would really appreciate any input you might have.  Thanks!

 

 

PS - I would also use these phones to watch movies and do some FPS gaming, but the latter is very casual and I don't need undue emphasis on soundstage.

post #19657 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by clchemie View Post

A couple years ago, I was ready for my first foray into "high-end" audio; I did a lot of research on the forums and settled on Fischer FA-011 headphones coupled to a Fournier DAC-2 amplifier.  In short, I'm very happy with the combo - the sound is far superior to any other headphones I have owned, although that's not really a high bar.  Truthfully speaking, I don't find that the amp adds much to the  FA-011s, perhaps because they are so easy to drive anyway, or perhaps because I'm not really an audiophile.  I'll leave it to you to interpret, but wouldn't really call myself too picky.  

 

I took my existing equipment to work, and now find myself needing new headphones for the house because I have a new baby and my speakers don't go over well with him at the moment.  The problem is that after re-reading LFFs reviews, nothing else seems like it can match up in that price range.  Surely this can't be true, so I am submitting to you for more opinions.  Here's what I'm after:

 

1.  ~$200 price range, absolutely not higher than $250

2.  Prefer circumaural and open phones (so I can hear the baby/wife)

3.  would be happy to bring my amp home if needed

4.  I listen to a wide range of music, but no country or classical.  60s-80s hard rock is my favorite.

5.  Prefer visibly quality construction

 

Part of me wants to get SR80s or 225is and see what all the Grado fans are on about, but I hear that they suffer from appallingly cheap construction and that's a bit of a turn-off.  Yesterday I almost pulled the trigger on some Fischer Audio Jubilate headphones, thinking that the more neutral sound would complement the colored/"fun" sound of the FA-011s.  And yet another part of me thinks: I already love the sound - why not just get another pair of FA-011s.  Anyway, I would really appreciate any input you might have.  Thanks!

 

 

PS - I would also use these phones to watch movies and do some FPS gaming, but the latter is very casual and I don't need undue emphasis on soundstage.

I thought the 225 uses the metal or is that the 325? 

post #19658 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by veyrongatti View Post

I thought the 225 uses the metal or is that the 325? 

 

The 325 uses metal; 225 is still plastic.  A quality look is not absolutely critical, but *is* a factor at some level.  If the Grados fit the bill better than anything else, I wouldn't be upset to lay out for them, but it would be good to hear that they don't look/feel like $35 headphones either.

post #19659 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by clchemie View Post

 

The 325 uses metal; 225 is still plastic.  A quality look is not absolutely critical, but *is* a factor at some level.  If the Grados fit the bill better than anything else, I wouldn't be upset to lay out for them, but it would be good to hear that they don't look/feel like $35 headphones either.

You could look into the Beyer DT880. Those have a very good quality build and you should be able to pick one up a the upper end of your price range. Pretty neutral with some added brightness.

post #19660 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by veyrongatti View Post

I thought the 225 uses the metal or is that the 325? 


For 60's to 80's hard rock you must get a Grado or Alessandro can.  Just don't expect much of a sound stage.  Go with the 225i.  It will rock your world and has a simple design that works.  Comfort can be an issue for some.

post #19661 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


The $500 neighborhood is more a less an in between place.  Plus your portable amps are probably not powerful enough or good enough to get the most out of better cans in this price range.

 

The former flagships (or update versions of same) all fall below $500, but all really need better amping than you have.  Included in this group are the excellent (but often quite different) Senn HD 600 & 650, Beyer DT 880 and AKG Q701.  These are all open or semi open.  The open Grado RS2i is also an excellent can that requires no amping from a quality source.  The next big step up is the HIFiMan HE-500, but that's way over your current budget and too hard to drive with little portable amps.

 

Of the current crop of closed cans, the Shure SRH 940 is very good for your needs and well under your budget.

 

I don like the closed AT cans you mentioned.  There are better choices for the money.  The open AT ATH-AD900 is very good and easy to drive for about $190 to $230.

To start somewhere,then: What portable amp do you recommend? Do I have to spend a fortune?

I've been listening to DT 880 and Q701 for a while now and the Beyerdynamics appeal VERY much to me. Apart from sounding really good to my ears, they feel light and comfortable. Based on your recommendation, I think I'll get them.

Portable: In a sudden rush, I ordered the AT ATH-ESW9a. I will try the SRH 940, though!

 

Which amp should I get? There's no possibility in my area to listen to portable amps.

post #19662 of 29491

Hey headphone-junkies.. Need your help choosing which headphones to get.. about 130$ limit

 

Ive been searching around the net through like a gazillion forums around the world and somehow head-fi.org just keeps comming up. Now this is my problem:

My GF just stole my old crappy gamer headset (need it for the mic i never used) and now i need something new. I live in Denmark and headphones are usually bumbed a good 100% in price compared to the US. I got some family in the states, and a few familymembers will visit them in november or so, and thought why not make them my headphone mule.

Ive been looking at stuff like ATH-M50, ATH-A700X, some AKGs, beyerdynamic and last thing i stumpled across was the FA-003 copies. Sennheiser never realy did anything to me (never felt realy comfortable the ones ive tried). Ive got around 130$ to spend and ofcourse want the best sound ever to get for those kinda money. The headphones needs to be closed, over ear (around-the-ear i think head-fi calls it), since GF is sitting next to me in our home office.

I use my headphones kinda allround. Listening to music (rock, classic, rap and ragae), playing games on my PC (lots of RPGs and singleplayer games, and no darn FPS) and watching movies/series when i find something my GF aint into. I think its all divided equally between the three uses. Ill most likely be using it directly from my onboard soundcard, android phone or something equally low output source (occasionally plug it into my NAD surround receiver in our livingroom).

So please help me out choosing what to buy in this huge headphone world.

 

Best regards, Thomas

 

ps.: Sorry about the missplaced post.

post #19663 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


For 60's to 80's hard rock you must get a Grado or Alessandro can.  Just don't expect much of a sound stage.  Go with the 225i.  It will rock your world and has a simple design that works.  Comfort can be an issue for some.

already have a DT990 for rock.... 

post #19664 of 29491

I'm thinking of getting some Wireless Headphones for listening to music and watching films on my PC. I've been considering either the Sony Mdr-Ds6500 or the Sennheiser RS 180/170's but not sure which to go for.

 

I'm a novice with headphones so any help will be greatly appreciated.

post #19665 of 29491
the sennheiser rs220 is about as good as wireless headphones get right now. As long as you stay within the confines of the transmitter.

if you are looking for something more portable the UE9000's may be the way to go though I personally own the MM-550's.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum