Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... - Page 1305  

post #19561 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminareo View Post

Looking for some open headphones around $200.  I prioritize soundstage and neutrality.  I currently have no amp, but that may be a future purchase.  I like lots of music, but mostly classical and indie-rock.  The headphones I have been looking at are the Sennheiser HD 558, the 598s, the AKG 701.  I've decided against the Audio Technica AD900 because of the headband.  Any other appropriate headphones in this range?  Or is there a preference between the ones I listed?  


Without an amp, the HD 598 is the best choice.  The 558 may be the best value at current prices.

post #19562 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookajamo View Post

Does anyone have anything good/bad to say about the Denon AHD2000 or 5000? Trying to decide which pair to buy for my new travel cans. 


Both good cans.  See:

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/luscious-denon-ah-d2000-ah-d50000-and-ah-d7000

 

BUT both are very poor choices for portable or on the go use.  They are big, have a long thick cord and don't isolate well--just for starters.

post #19563 of 29491

Thanks for the replies guys!

 

Well, I actually have some ''budget'' cans (Senn HD 205) so I want a really step-up. As I use it indoors only open headphones arent a big problem. Id really like to get in the audiophile area. 

 

I will have a look at the mentioned headphones! But er, stupid question maybe, but what exactly do you mean with dark sounding? Is it far from neutral? Is it eq'able to make it sound more neutrally?

Or is a neutrally sounding headphone not ''what you need''? 

post #19564 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben123 View Post

Thanks for the replies guys!

 

Well, I actually have some ''budget'' cans (Senn HD 205) so I want a really step-up. As I use it indoors only open headphones arent a big problem. Id really like to get in the audiophile area. 

 

I will have a look at the mentioned headphones! But er, stupid question maybe, but what exactly do you mean with dark sounding? Is it far from neutral? Is it eq'able to make it sound more neutrally?

Or is a neutrally sounding headphone not ''what you need''? 

 

dark = lack of treble = bad.

you should start out by listening to neutral headphones and determine if you want any coloured headphones.

post #19565 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodytang View Post

 

dark = lack of treble = bad.

you should start out by listening to neutral headphones and determine if you want any coloured headphones.


I don't know about the "bad" part--at least not for everyone.

 

Although there may be one or two exceptions hiding out there, but you need to spend at least $75 to $100 to get a neutral or at least neutral-ish can.  Coming from below that level, you will have nothing to gage your preferences from a neutral point.

 

Beyond that, Lord knows that many prefer colored headphones.  Look at all the bassheads of various stripes to illustrate that point.

post #19566 of 29491

Should I take the silence regarding my previous question as a "yes that's all good and dandy" regarding my purchase of the Audioengine D1 + Beyerdynamics DT-860? :P

 

I'm going to hit the checkout button tomorrow unless someone begs to differ.

post #19567 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by spittis View Post

Should I take the silence regarding my previous question as a "yes that's all good and dandy" regarding my purchase of the Audioengine D1 + Beyerdynamics DT-860? :P

 

I'm going to hit the checkout button tomorrow unless someone begs to differ.


Silence usually means that none of us are sufficiently familiar with the can and equipment to offer an opinion.  In my case, I have heard quite a few Beyers but never the DT 860.  I also know nothing about the DAC.

post #19568 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


I don't know about the "bad" part--at least not for everyone.

 

Although there may be one or two exceptions hiding out there, but you need to spend at least $75 to $100 to get a neutral or at least neutral-ish can.  Coming from below that level, you will have nothing to gage your preferences from a neutral point.

 

Beyond that, Lord knows that many prefer colored headphones.  Look at all the bassheads of various stripes to illustrate that point.

 

i'm hard pressed to find a genre that would sound good with no treble sparkle.

post #19569 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavel View Post

They certainly do look nice and the few reviews I can find seem solid, but I can't seem to find out too much else about them. Happen to have any more info/personal experience? I'm also looking for over-ears, which I can't seem to tell whether or not those are or not. 

It is an Onear headphone with a V shaped sound signiture It also has extremely smooth female vocals ^^ 

post #19570 of 29491

Hi!

 

I'm pretty new to headphones and stuff, but need recommendations for headphones (been using a Sennheiser PC 330 G4ME headset for quite a while...). I mainly listen to anime, J-pop, game/anime soundtracks, and vocaloid music. Might I add that a lot of my music has vocals and nearly all of them are in .mp3 files. My budget for the headphones is around $300-$450 (can go over if it is really good), I live in Canada if that matters! I was reading amp/dac set ups and keen on getting the Schiit Asgard/Bifrost combo.

 

Any advice is awesome! Thanks~

post #19571 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyaruko View Post

Hi!

 

I'm pretty new to headphones and stuff, but need recommendations for headphones (been using a Sennheiser PC 330 G4ME headset for quite a while...). I mainly listen to anime, J-pop, game/anime soundtracks, and vocaloid music. Might I add that a lot of my music has vocals and nearly all of them are in .mp3 files. My budget for the headphones is around $300-$450 (can go over if it is really good), I live in Canada if that matters! I was reading amp/dac set ups and keen on getting the Schiit Asgard/Bifrost combo.

 

Any advice is awesome! Thanks~

ESW9? ES10 

post #19572 of 29491

Would anyone recommend this for portable use, I'm a basshead and they looked nice. Also would I need an amp and if so any recommendations? http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-PRO-900-Professional-Headphones/dp/B001F00F0E

 

I have a $1000 budget so if I can get nicer portable cans with good bass over those feel free to link me some suggestions :)

post #19573 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodytang View Post

 

i'm hard pressed to find a genre that would sound good with no treble sparkle.


But then we are not talking of your preferences...or mine.

 

Sparkle to some is harsh and/or sibilant to others.

 

I can't understand why some people enjoy the equivalent of two sub-woofers strapped to their ears.  But some do...or at least something very close to it.


Edited by KG Jag - 9/29/12 at 9:22pm
post #19574 of 29491

Hello,

 

First-time poster and pretty much total beginner here. I've been reading up and around these parts for the past couple days and I'm trying my best to orient myself with the fundamental principals of a nice headphone set-up. And while I know generally the amount I'm willing to spend and am happy to research individual models, I haven't a clue where to start (there seem to be so many fantastic options and styles in most price ranges). 

So, if anybody can provide some general advice that might act as a catalyst for further research (or just recommend particular products outright) that would be great! I currently have a pair of B&W P5's and have been very happy with them (nicest pair I've ever had); still, I know that in this case my money went to build quality, comfort, aesthetic, transport etc. instead of prioritizing sound quality (obviously comfort and build quality remain important). Either way, I'm happy with the P5's (about five months in) but know I could do better with an at-home set-up.

 

Here's my intended usage: I listen to mostly records at home so that will be my primary motivation in terms of putting together a set. I listen to jazz, soul, funk and hip-hop primarily. My current method for listening to records is the following: Technic 1200 > NAD PP2 Phono Pre-Amp > Denon AVR2112ci > Energy Take 5 Classic. 

I suppose I'm looking at a headphone amp/headphone combo here (to provide an alternative post NAD PP2 listening experience). I'll be looking to listen to records 75% of the time and high-quality digital files/movies the rest (from computer).

 

Budget is $500 or so for amp and headphones. Not really looking to upgrade the turntable or phono preamp at this time unless it really makes sense. 

 

I've been interested in the Bottlehead Crack, it seems like a killer value for what it is though the build is a bit daunting to me (minimal soldering skills and no history with a project like this). Either way, seems like it would be a good intro. with regard to price and sound.

 

 

So, for both headphone amp and headphones together I'm thinking $500. Thanks in advance for any advice.

post #19575 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereatlast View Post

Hello,

 

First-time poster and pretty much total beginner here. I've been reading up and around these parts for the past couple days and I'm trying my best to orient myself with the fundamental principals of a nice headphone set-up. And while I know generally the amount I'm willing to spend and am happy to research individual models, I haven't a clue where to start (there seem to be so many fantastic options and styles in most price ranges). 

So, if anybody can provide some general advice that might act as a catalyst for further research (or just recommend particular products outright) that would be great! I currently have a pair of B&W P5's and have been very happy with them (nicest pair I've ever had); still, I know that in this case my money went to build quality, comfort, aesthetic, transport etc. instead of prioritizing sound quality (obviously comfort and build quality remain important). Either way, I'm happy with the P5's (about five months in) but know I could do better with an at-home set-up.

 

Here's my intended usage: I listen to mostly records at home so that will be my primary motivation in terms of putting together a set. I listen to jazz, soul, funk and hip-hop primarily. My current method for listening to records is the following: Technic 1200 > NAD PP2 Phono Pre-Amp > Denon AVR2112ci > Energy Take 5 Classic. 

I suppose I'm looking at a headphone amp/headphone combo here (to provide an alternative post NAD PP2 listening experience). I'll be looking to listen to records 75% of the time and high-quality digital files/movies the rest (from computer).

 

Budget is $500 or so for amp and headphones. Not really looking to upgrade the turntable or phono preamp at this time unless it really makes sense. 

 

I've been interested in the Bottlehead Crack, it seems like a killer value for what it is though the build is a bit daunting to me (minimal soldering skills and no history with a project like this). Either way, seems like it would be a good intro. with regard to price and sound.

 

 

So, for both headphone amp and headphones together I'm thinking $500. Thanks in advance for any advice.


Start with the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread.  The guides will in turn link you to reviews posted on this forum.

 

Once you have selected a headphone.  Then seek an amp that will complement it and your budget (and perhaps future needs).  There are two forum sections dedicated to amps.  There are also threads in this part of the forum dedicated to particular headphones.  Within those threads is discussion of what amps work best with that can.  If not it would be one of places to pose that question.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum