Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... - Page 1299  

post #19471 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marclivis View Post

Hey there, I'm in need of a recommendation before purchase.

After further research, I've come across the conclusion that I'll probably need to look into investing in a sound card also as my current one (Creative Audigy ZS 2) isn't what I thought it to be.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed a little light on my situation!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

You could try an E11 for an amp it's around 50, also if your have Windows XP, look into a piece of software called SRS Audio Sand Box [the older version] I loved it when I could use it! 

Hi the dt990 is great but why not consider the dt770? I would imagine you would want more "impact" from the bass with your kind of music. Well i think in either case you will not be disappointed. I digress.....

If you are using these at home there is no need to get a portable amp like the e11. It would be a hasstle to make sure the battery is always charged. It also only puts out a max of 45mw to a headphone that can be run upto 100mw. Dont get me wrong i run my 250 ohm headphones just fine on an e11 but again you should get a nice dac/amp combo to get the most out of your cans.

This one is highly recommended for the price
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIRE-PHOENIX-DAC-02-CS4398-LM4562-MINI-USB-DAC-Headphone-Amplifier-/180738679826?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item2a14dd6412

It will be like a "sound card" plus headphone amp in one. You can connect it via usb but the preferred method is via optical cable.

The 770/990 can be had for 200ish on amazon plus the above dac/amp 100 = within ur budget of $300 max.
Edited by Doc-holliday - 9/28/12 at 7:50am
post #19472 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marclivis View Post

Hey there, I'm in need of a recommendation before purchase.

 

After the bit of time spent reading around here, it seems that the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro (250 Ohm) seems to be the most recommended set of cans for me (although haven't decided on the amp). I based this decision off of my budget and what I'm looking for in my new headphones. I listen to a lot of house, progressive house, trance, electro-house style Electronic Dance Music (EDM), but I still like my bass to have a nice "umph" without being too overwhelming. I'd be using the headphones 99% of the time at home, so I'm not worried about sound leaking in/out as I close my door anyway, and am not looking for a portable amp (unless they perform better than a standalone). I also had to factor in budget as well, and I didn't want to spend too much; mostly in the range of $250-300 area with headphones & amp included. After further research, I've come across the conclusion that I'll probably need to look into investing in a sound card also as my current one (Creative Audigy ZS 2) isn't what I thought it to be.

 

I've never had a real set of 'audiophile' worthy headphones, only typical gamer headsets such as the Logitech G35 which doesn't perform exactly to my expectations. I'm really hoping I'll be able to find what I'm looking for without losing too much. I know with my budget I'll be sacrificing some of the sound, but that's expected.

 

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed a little light on my situation!

You won't disappointed with the DT990 wink.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post


Hi the dt990 is great but why not consider the dt770? I would imagine you would want more "impact" from the bass with your kind of music. Well i think in either case you will not be disappointed. I digress.....
If you are using these at home there is no need to get a portable amp like the e11. It would be a hasstle to make sure the battery is always charged. It also only puts out a max of 45mw to a headphone that can be run upto 100mw. Dont get me wrong i run my 250 ohm headphones just fine on an e11 but again you should get a nice dac/amp combo to get the most out of your cans.
This one is highly recommended for the price
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIRE-PHOENIX-DAC-02-CS4398-LM4562-MINI-USB-DAC-Headphone-Amplifier-/180738679826?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item2a14dd6412
It will be like a "sound card" plus headphone amp in one. You can connect it via usb but the preferred method is via optical cable.
The 770/990 can be had for 200ish on amazon plus the above dac/amp 100 = within ur budget of $300 max.

 

+1 on the dt770, closed back dt770 will give you more impact and more extend on the bass, the open back dt990 headphone will give more detail with good texture on the bass but less impact than the dt770, and both have a recessed mid-range

post #19473 of 29491

Hello everyone, first time poster here.

 

My Audio Technicas (ANC7b) are starting to go on me, so in anticipation of the upcoming holiday season I'm looking for a new set of cans. Based on some reasearch I'm currently wavering between two, the ATH-M50s and the HFI-780s. Here's some information about me that'll be helpful. 

 

Budget: $150 (can't go over by much, maybe ~$10 or so)

Music Genres: Primarily rock/metal and dubstep/trance/electronic

Sources: Primarily V1/V0 MP3's through my iPod and laptop

Stye: Preferably some kind of Black or silver, although I'm not totally averse to other colors.

Listening locations: A mix of school/home, so minimal leakage is relatively important. 

 

 

Any suggestions/reccommendatons are more than welcome

 

Thank you!

 

Tavel

post #19474 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post

This one is highly recommended for the price
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIRE-PHOENIX-DAC-02-CS4398-LM4562-MINI-USB-DAC-Headphone-Amplifier-/180738679826?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item2a14dd6412
It will be like a "sound card" plus headphone amp in one. You can connect it via usb but the preferred method is via optical cable.
 

Nice I might actually get that my self! I need a new Sound Card, how much power does it put out? 

post #19475 of 29491

Posting this here instead because I'm dumb and didn't notice it.

 

I currently have a Titanium HD and AD700s that I use for gaming, and I love them.  However as everyone knows they are pretty bass light, and I'm looking for a pair of headphones that I'll use for music.  As far as genres go, I listen to all types of rock, and a ton of instrumental stuff from big band to guitar-focused to electronica type music.   I listen to video game and anime soundtracks quite a bit.  

Examples would be Led Zeppelin, Eric Johnson and Pink Floyd for the "normal" music, and then some stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKAP1BmRs3k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKV195eXg7I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZbUnu8WBn0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2UtFr53I0c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbsAyGQ0k_U

Now, one thing that's important is that I have a relatively large head, which is one of the reasons I love the AD700s since they are kinda loose and have big soft ear cups.  I have a pair of HD681s but they're not really as comfortable and aren't something I want to wear for hours at a time.  I ultimately don't care if they're open or closed as quality comes first, but it'd be nice if they were closed so I could take them to work instead of IEMs.  I am a fan of bass, and I don't really get the level I want in stuff like what I linked.

As far as budget goes, I'd like to stay around $150 but I could around $200 if I feel it's worth it.  I'm not really well versed in audiophilia and I don't really know what I should be looking for, at least with enough confidence to make a decision.  I suppose I'm more into neutral sounds without anything too exaggerated.  I like hearing all the instruments playing and don't really want any part being overly pronounced unless it's intended to be that way.  I'd prefer more bass than less, but again only if it isn't "unnatural" for the song.

 

Dunno if that makes any sense really, but thanks for any suggestions.

post #19476 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by aak57 View Post

Posting this here instead because I'm dumb and didn't notice it.

 

I currently have a Titanium HD and AD700s that I use for gaming, and I love them.  However as everyone knows they are pretty bass light, and I'm looking for a pair of headphones that I'll use for music.  As far as genres go, I listen to all types of rock, and a ton of instrumental stuff from big band to guitar-focused to electronica type music.   I listen to video game and anime soundtracks quite a bit.  

 

You might like the A900X. It's closed, and it fits my big head. Similar AT headphone design with the wings. Little over your budget, though. They will have much better bass response than the AD700s. The bass is controlled, and not nearly as heavy as my Ultrasone 780s. See this thread

post #19477 of 29491

Looking for some help for a friend of mine who wants to purchase a new headphone. 

 

Maximum price - $150-200

Type of headphone - Over ear and closed or open

Source - iPhone 4S/ Laptop (Asus N75S)

Favourite Music - Korean Pop

 

Additional info: He'll be listening to his music at home 95% of the time. Wants a comfy headphone, says his current headphone can be very warm on his ears. He doesn't have much experience with headphones so I don't think he has a preferred sound signature although he says he likes good vocals. 

 

Thanks for your help in advance guys.


Edited by ringyring - 9/28/12 at 9:38am
post #19478 of 29491

Hi everyone... This is my first post here. I have been going through the forum for the past few days looking for recommendations on a pair of entry level headphones costing < $100.

Based on my research here and the availability I have narrowed my choices to

 

HD -215 II

HD-439

SRH 440

SRH 550DJ

ATH-T500

ATH-AD500

 

I listen mostly to Rock, Electronic, Reggae, Classical, Instrumental and Blues.. I dont want the bass to be overwhelming but a nice controlled punch with good mids and highs.

I plan to use it connected to a desktop through an Asus Xonar DG and so portability is not an issue. Comfort is important since I will be listening to it 4+ hours at a stretch.

Which one of these would you all recommend?


Edited by Cynx - 9/28/12 at 11:23am
post #19479 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

Nice I might actually get that my self! I need a new Sound Card, how much power does it put out? 

It is supposed to run up to 300 ohm phones handily.

There is a thread on it here.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/621087/fire-phoenix-dac-02-the-odac-o2-desktop-rival

There is a dac-05 version for 50 bucks more that run up to 600 ohm but i dont know anyone who has one to vouch for it.
post #19480 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post


It is supposed to run up to 300 ohm phones handily.
There is a thread on it here.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/621087/fire-phoenix-dac-02-the-odac-o2-desktop-rival
There is a dac-05 version for 50 bucks more that run up to 600 ohm but i dont know anyone who has one to vouch for it.

I would think you should be able to amp them right ouf of that card, and get more power that way. I was going to mention the E9 E10 [I think] combo alot of people use to drie 600 ohm cans, but if your getting a sound card then well by all means use it, 

 

But you should be able to amp it in theory! 

post #19481 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiTaN2TeN View Post

Hi there,

 

I'm looking to buy some earbuds around $100 but willing to pay a little more if there is a large jump in quality. I'm having trouble choosing as there are so many and everyone has different ears. I will be using them with a Smartphone, I'm not too fussed about volume control, I listen to lots of differnt kinds of music mainly rock, electronic stuff and abit of pop.

 

I don't really like the feel of earbuds that much so Comfort is important to me


You're in the wrong section of the forum.  This one is for full sized headphones.

post #19482 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by aak57 View Post

Posting this here instead because I'm dumb and didn't notice it.

 

I currently have a Titanium HD and AD700s that I use for gaming, and I love them.  However as everyone knows they are pretty bass light, and I'm looking for a pair of headphones that I'll use for music.  As far as genres go, I listen to all types of rock, and a ton of instrumental stuff from big band to guitar-focused to electronica type music.   I listen to video game and anime soundtracks quite a bit.  

Examples would be Led Zeppelin, Eric Johnson and Pink Floyd for the "normal" music, and then some stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKAP1BmRs3k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKV195eXg7I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZbUnu8WBn0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2UtFr53I0c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbsAyGQ0k_U

Now, one thing that's important is that I have a relatively large head, which is one of the reasons I love the AD700s since they are kinda loose and have big soft ear cups.  I have a pair of HD681s but they're not really as comfortable and aren't something I want to wear for hours at a time.  I ultimately don't care if they're open or closed as quality comes first, but it'd be nice if they were closed so I could take them to work instead of IEMs.  I am a fan of bass, and I don't really get the level I want in stuff like what I linked.

As far as budget goes, I'd like to stay around $150 but I could around $200 if I feel it's worth it.  I'm not really well versed in audiophilia and I don't really know what I should be looking for, at least with enough confidence to make a decision.  I suppose I'm more into neutral sounds without anything too exaggerated.  I like hearing all the instruments playing and don't really want any part being overly pronounced unless it's intended to be that way.  I'd prefer more bass than less, but again only if it isn't "unnatural" for the song.

 

Dunno if that makes any sense really, but thanks for any suggestions.


The Audio Technica ATH-AD900, usually just over $200 new, seem to be a logical step up for you.

post #19483 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringyring View Post

Looking for some help for a friend of mine who wants to purchase a new headphone. 

 

Maximum price - $150-200

Type of headphone - Over ear and closed or open

Source - iPhone 4S/ Laptop (Asus N75S)

Favourite Music - Korean Pop

 

Additional info: He'll be listening to his music at home 95% of the time. Wants a comfy headphone, says his current headphone can be very warm on his ears. He doesn't have much experience with headphones so I don't think he has a preferred sound signature although he says he likes good vocals. 

 

Thanks for your help in advance guys.


Can't say that I know Korean pop.  Comfort is a very individual thing.  All that said, the KRK KNS 8400 might work very well for him/her--and come in under budget.


Edited by KG Jag - 9/28/12 at 12:10pm
post #19484 of 29491

I'm having a hard time thinking of what headphones to buy... I currently own V6's and I would like to either sidegrade/upgrade to a different headphone. Although I like the V6's, I think its time for something new. I don't like the sibilance and grainy sound. I may end up selling them.  My budget is under $150.

 

I will be using the headphone out of my desktop and mainly looking for headphones that can be used without an amp. I currently have a cheap soundcard which does improve sound a little (Newegg.com - Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards). 

 

I mainly listen to Electronic (Synthpop & Dance, stuff like La Roux, Oh Land, Robyn), and rock music (bands like Evanescence, Flyleaf), but still listen to other genres as well. 

 

I don't really want something V shaped, I like mids. I would like a more natural sounding headphone with very good vocals, punchy bass that extends low, nice mids, nice highs, good soundstage. I don't want a completely open headphone, something that doesn't leak too much. Also something that's a little less bright than the V6 but not too warm. I really didn't like the HD439's, I absolutely hated the warm sound, so headphones that sound like that, I'd rather not have. If you can recommend me any others, thanks :)

 

The only headphones I'm considering at the moment are:

 

Brainwavs HM5

Koss ProDJ100


Edited by Fuzziekiwi - 9/28/12 at 12:37pm
post #19485 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynx View Post

Hi everyone... This is my first post here. I have been going through the forum for the past few days looking for recommendations on a pair of entry level headphones costing < $100.

Based on my research here and the availability I have narrowed my choices to

 

HD -215 II

HD-439

SRH 440

SRH 550DJ

ATH-T500

ATH-AD500

 

I listen mostly to Rock, Electronic, Reggae, Classical, Instrumental and Blues.. I dont want the bass to be overwhelming but a nice controlled punch with good mids and highs.

I plan to use it connected to a desktop through an Asus Xonar DG and so portability is not an issue. Comfort is important since I will be listening to it 4+ hours at a stretch.

Which one of these would you all recommend?


Take a look at the CAL!, AKG K 240 Studio (semi-open) and Sony MDR 7506.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum