or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 1296  

post #19426 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster2010 View Post

hahaha good luck with that evil_smiley.gif

X finger...
post #19427 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by widdyjudas View Post


I'm hoping that the 650 will last me few years, with just replaceable cable and replace amp/dac. If I buy the 990, I will be tempted to buy the 650 eventually.

Just like when I buy the ue500 after I buy M50. After my ear have being "updated" with M50, I'm craving more for IEM, thats where the IE8 comes... after that, My ear being "upgraded again" with SQ and soundstage wide of IE8, now I'm craving more with my M50...

I'm hoping that 650 will be more longer term investment, since the upper level of it is very expensive and I might not want to spend that much money just for a cans...

DT880 is like a Dt990 with less bass and more mids ^^ I think the DT880 is a good compromise 

post #19428 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by widdyjudas View Post


I'm hoping that the 650 will last me few years, with just replaceable cable and replace amp/dac. If I buy the 990, I will be tempted to buy the 650 eventually.

Just like when I buy the ue500 after I buy M50. After my ear have being "updated" with M50, I'm craving more for IEM, thats where the IE8 comes... after that, My ear being "upgraded again" with SQ and soundstage wide of IE8, now I'm craving more with my M50...

I'm hoping that 650 will be more longer term investment, since the upper level of it is very expensive and I might not want to spend that much money just for a cans...

 

i thought i would never spend more than 300$ on cans after getting the DT880, and here i am 2 months later with the T1, it's a really slippery slope, this hobby.

What are your genre preferences are and what part of the spectrum you feel is missing from your m50? it'd be easier to reccomend a headphone that way. the hd650 is love it or hate it, there's no one that finds it okay imo. unless you've auditioned it with the specific setup in mind, i would not recommend buying the hd650 based on head-fi threads.

i would recommend you get something cheaper for the headphones and get a better amp. to bring out the full potential of the HD650, you need far bigger of an investment and far more specialised equipment than you would for the other 2 old flagships, DT880 and Q701.

post #19429 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by malove2play View Post

preferably open, less than 100$, and I'd prefer the bass not be overpowering, but other than that I'm not sure. Also mostly just for home use

This should be a pretty nice upgrade from your current sennheisers... Open. Can be modded to sound like 598 if I am not mistaken if you are in to that.

100 bucks.


http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004FEEY9A/ref=dp_olp_refurbished?ie=UTF8&condition=refurbished
post #19430 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodytang View Post

 

i thought i would never spend more than 300$ on cans after getting the DT880, and here i am 2 months later with the T1, it's a really slippery slope, this hobby.

What are your genre preferences are and what part of the spectrum you feel is missing from your m50? it'd be easier to reccomend a headphone that way. the hd650 is love it or hate it, there's no one that finds it okay imo. unless you've auditioned it with the specific setup in mind, i would not recommend buying the hd650 based on head-fi threads.

i would recommend you get something cheaper for the headphones and get a better amp. to bring out the full potential of the HD650, you need far bigger of an investment and far more specialised equipment than you would for the other 2 old flagships, DT880 and Q701.

Ok poody. You definitely are the most helpful person here...

Yes, I know this hobby is expensive and who knows what I will do after I bought the 650/990. Last year, I said the same thing after buying the M50...

My music genre varies between rock, pop, jazz and few RnB. However, recently I listened to more relaxing music like susan wong, jazz. Perhaps I'm getting older for energetic music lol...

No complain from M50 SQ, just 2 major complains. first Comfort, its like a torture after I use it more than 30 mins. I do the stretch mod like Envy said, but no help here. Second is no soundstage. Everything crammed in the middle. Its ok for gaming like l4d2 and sc2. But for competitive like CS, can't do... Music wise, everything got into the middle, I can't hear any details unlike my IE8.

I'm not following any threads. I just testing 770pro, ultrasone900, denon d400 and hd650 last tuesday. Comfort wise 770 pro is the king, 650 ok comfort just a bit tight, but still acceptable. Ultrasone is very tight, so no. denon SQ is almost like 770pro but twice the price, so no.

After researching further, I think 990pro is more suitable for me than 770pro. SQ wise and gaming is superior, and same price USD 220 with the 770 pro. I will test the 990pro later when I have time.

So now, my choice are still between 990 pro and 650. For My amp, fiioE17 for now, but I will eventually change it when I have the spare money. I don't really mind putting USD 360 to the 650, since I see its a better long term investment than the 990. Replaceable cables and more SQ for my music need.

No hurry here for me. I have 1-2 months before deciding which one to get...

Although I hear more relaxed music now, but I still need bass present. So no 880 and AKG for me...


Edited by widdyjudas - 9/26/12 at 10:48pm
post #19431 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by widdyjudas View Post


X finger...

?

post #19432 of 29490

Hi guys, I need to buy some new headphones, because my beloved V-Jays have broken (I could see that coming), and now I need to raise the bar a little, so the budget is ~$150.

I don't mind if they're fully closed, as long as they're really comfortable for extended use. Also a plus would be if they're light and portable.

As far as the sound is concerned, I want something as much as natural as possible (not bass monsters for example, or with aggressive highs). They don't have to be super exciting or anything, nor on the other hand super laid-back.

I usually listen to punk rock, ska, classic rock, and some acoustic stuff. (no electronic or dubstep)

 

Thanks.


Edited by theoutter - 9/26/12 at 11:42pm
post #19433 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoutter View Post

Hi guys, I need to buy some new headphones, because my beloved V-Jays have broken (I could see that coming), and now I need to raise the bar a little, so the budget is ~$150.

I don't mind if they're fully closed, as long as they're really comfortable for extended use. Also a plus would be if they're light and portable.

As far as the sound is concerned, I want something as much as natural as possible (not bass monsters for example, or with aggressive highs). They don't have to be super exciting or anything, nor on the other hand super laid-back.

I usually listen to punk rock, ska, classic rock, and some acoustic stuff. (no electronic or dubstep)

 

Thanks.

SRH840 

post #19434 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoutter View Post

Hi guys, I need to buy some new headphones, because my beloved V-Jays have broken (I could see that coming), and now I need to raise the bar a little, so the budget is ~$150.

I don't mind if they're fully closed, as long as they're really comfortable for extended use. Also a plus would be if they're light and portable.

As far as the sound is concerned, I want something as much as natural as possible (not bass monsters for example, or with aggressive highs). They don't have to be super exciting or anything, nor on the other hand super laid-back.

I usually listen to punk rock, ska, classic rock, and some acoustic stuff. (no electronic or dubstep)

 

Thanks.

It sounds like you want a neutral sound signature. In your range you may want to look at the KRK KNS8400. You also can find a used Shure SRH840 within your budget (or stretch for a new one). Neither one will require an amp, so you would be ok if you don't own one/don't plan on buying one.

post #19435 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelator View Post

Hey guys, i'm planning to get a new pair of headphones in the $150-$200 price range, i currently own a pair of Technics RPDJ-1200A which i got for a really good price a few years ago,  i like their sound but i think it's about time i get something better.

 

I want to get the best headphones i can get for my money and i'll most likely be getting them from amazon, i'll try to list what i want them to be:

 

*Circum aural.

*I'd prefer a detachable cable.

*Comfortable, i'd love something that i'd be able to wear for hours.

*I'd prefer a flat response, i listen to all kinds of music so the closer to a flat one the better.

*Closed ones (though if there's a vast difference i'm willing to consider open ones too).

*I'd like to be able to use my mobile devices with them.

*And of course sound quality as the most important thing in this list.

 

I could probably go a bit further than the $200 mark but not by much (It's also worth noting that i really like Sennheisers so if there's any that meets my needs i'd liketo hear about it).

 

What do you guys recommend? Thanks for your help.


Meeting all your requirements are the KRK KNS 8400 and (plus amp) Shure SRH 940.

post #19436 of 29490

Looking for $200 on-ear portables that don't sound too warm and has no bass emphasis. Something that has a lot of detail, and an open sound. I listen to mostly instrumental/acoustic/vocal.

 

I do love the looks of the new Momentum but it has a bass emphasis, like just about every portable can on the market. I'm currently looking at the Sennheiser Amperior or the DT1350.

As for the Amperior, some people say it has very forward mids, which I am curious about, but also they apparently have thumpin' bass... which I'm not a big fan of.

post #19437 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by widdyjudas View Post

Ok poody. You definitely are the most helpful person here...
Yes, I know this hobby is expensive and who knows what I will do after I bought the 650/990. Last year, I said the same thing after buying the M50...
My music genre varies between rock, pop, jazz and few RnB. However, recently I listened to more relaxing music like susan wong, jazz. Perhaps I'm getting older for energetic music lol...
No complain from M50 SQ, just 2 major complains. first Comfort, its like a torture after I use it more than 30 mins. I do the stretch mod like Envy said, but no help here. Second is no soundstage. Everything crammed in the middle. Its ok for gaming like l4d2 and sc2. But for competitive like CS, can't do... Music wise, everything got into the middle, I can't hear any details unlike my IE8.
I'm not following any threads. I just testing 770pro, ultrasone900, denon d400 and hd650 last tuesday. Comfort wise 770 pro is the king, 650 ok comfort just a bit tight, but still acceptable. Ultrasone is very tight, so no. denon SQ is almost like 770pro but twice the price, so no.
After researching further, I think 990pro is more suitable for me than 770pro. SQ wise and gaming is superior, and same price USD 220 with the 770 pro. I will test the 990pro later when I have time.
So now, my choice are still between 990 pro and 650. For My amp, fiioE17 for now, but I will eventually change it when I have the spare money. I don't really mind putting USD 360 to the 650, since I see its a better long term investment than the 990. Replaceable cables and more SQ for my music need.
No hurry here for me. I have 1-2 months before deciding which one to get...
Although I hear more relaxed music now, but I still need bass present. So no 880 and AKG for me...

The dt880 has never lacked bass for me it also has extremely good extension in sub bass, and non-exaggerated and well textured bass. For the genres you listen to, I think it would be better to get the 880, very good with jazz and rock. But i would also suggest you audition the 990 and 880 with your own setup. But, you would almost have to use a tube amp to tame the treble spike of the 880.

Tl;dr
Audition dt880 and 990, totally different from 770 and each other
post #19438 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by viralcow View Post

Looking for $200 on-ear portables that don't sound too warm and has no bass emphasis. Something that has a lot of detail, and an open sound. I listen to mostly instrumental/acoustic/vocal.

I do love the looks of the new Momentum but it has a bass emphasis, like just about every portable can on the market. I'm currently looking at the Sennheiser Amperior or the DT1350.
As for the Amperior, some people say it has very forward mids, which I am curious about, but also they apparently have thumpin' bass... which I'm not a big fan of.

Dt1350 seems to match your needs. Although the fit Is very finicky and it can be uncomfortable depending on the shape of your head. Try to find a place to audition them, pretty common cans
post #19439 of 29490

Greetings, and thank you for reading (and hopefully, responding)!

 

I hope to tap into the wealth of knowledge + experience permeating throughout this forum - so thanks in advance for your time and input.

 

Brief History: I had been using Beats Solos for a few years, but they recently broke.  I didn't really want to shell out that kind of money, so I'm exploring other options.  I only use an iPod and headphones, no other equipment.  I've heard plenty of negative things about Beats and Monster, but I was pretty satisfied with them, especially their ability to block outside noise.  I live in New York and travel frequently, so dealing with city noise and engines (planes and trains - Amtrak, not subway) is very important.  Moreover, I care about design.  If I'm going to wear something on my head for hours on end, I want to enjoy the look, not just the comfort and sound.

 

Current Use: After the Solos broke, I somewhat impulsively purchased a pair of Marshall Majors.  I got what I thought was a deal and have been underwhelmed.  I was on the train recently and I could hear everything going on around me in a way that never happened with the Solos.  As a result, I'm rethinking my decision and considering other options.

 

Criteria: As I mentioned, I care about blocking outside noise and design, aside from comfort and sound quality.  I don't have a particularly trained ear, so I can't appreciate or participate in detailed discussions about sound quality.  After some cursory searches and exploration, the pairs that stick out most in my mind right now are the Urbanears Zinken, Philips CitiScape Uptown, Pioneer HDJ-500, Incase Sonic (which are on sale right now for $99.99 after hitting the market at $199.99) and AiAiAi Capital.  Are all of these pairs all form and no substance?  I care about design, but I still have certain performance expectations.  I don't want a pair that looks too gadgety.  I'm not a sound engineer.

 

Thanks again - I look forward to hearing from you!

 

-Pete

post #19440 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


Meeting all your requirements are the KRK KNS 8400 and (plus amp) Shure SRH 940.

I found the 8400 on $111 maybe i can buy something in the middle as the 940 are on like $250, i considered the HD 380 but apparently they don't have a flat response but instead a V shaped one and i don't even know if they'll work with my devices, got any other suggestions?


Edited by Fidelator - 9/27/12 at 10:18am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum