or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 1280  

post #19186 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaanaltheNoob View Post

Hi, 

 

I'm looking for a pair of over-ear headphones that are around or under $140. I'm willing to look on eBay / Amazon, and the likes of those. My main use for these will be music. I'll be using these for school, so they need to be fairly light, and easily portable. 

 

They need to: 

 

- Look good

- Sound good (I like my bass, but I don't want it to drown out everything else)

- Fold up

- Be a closed headphone

 

I'd like, but they don't have to: 

 

- Have a detachable cord

- Have Noise Cancelling

- Have a matte finish

- Allow me to daisy chain

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaanaltheNoob View Post

Aw, come on. Three people post after me and get a response before me. Surely someone has some idea what headphones would fit my criteria? I'm looking at Aviators. 

 

Remember that the people who answer posts on this forum are doing so voluntarily and have no need to respond to any post, but do so simply because they enjoy audio and sharing it with others.

 

With that being said, I think the reason that you may not have gotten any responses is that you listen a lot of specific requirements, most of which do not pertain to audio quality. The first thing which you listed is looks, which are highly subjective, so it might be helpful to know some examples of headphones that look good and some that look bad.

 

Anyways, start by checking out this thread to see if anything fits your needs.

post #19187 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaanaltheNoob View Post

Hi, 

 

I'm looking for a pair of over-ear headphones that are around or under $140. I'm willing to look on eBay / Amazon, and the likes of those. My main use for these will be music. I'll be using these for school, so they need to be fairly light, and easily portable. 

 

They need to: 

 

- Look good

- Sound good (I like my bass, but I don't want it to drown out everything else)

- Fold up

- Be a closed headphone

 

I'd like, but they don't have to: 

 

- Have a detachable cord

- Have Noise Cancelling

- Have a matte finish

- Allow me to daisy chain

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickleweed View Post

ok, im disgustingly indecisive.  and ive found another option!  arrgh

 

i have a shure 840 which i am reasonably happy with.  but curiosity is getting the best of me, and i want to see if there is anything better sounding out there.  id like something with a wider soundstage, better separation, more clarity, maybe some higher end sparkle.  mids that are presented forward.  the bass on the 840's is generally within an acceptable volume for me, maybe a hint more punch.  i need to stay in the closed, over ear variety.  i dont need portability per se, as i wont be walking around with them, but i will be taking them back and forth between home and work.  i listen to mainly stuff in the middle to higher registers....nothing overly bass driven.  

 

pain of salvation

coheed and cambria

eisley

nine inch nails

dream theater

a fine frenzy

jurassic 5

pink floyd

guns n roses

tool

bright eyes

lifehouse

taylor swift

 

thats basically the gist of what i listen to.  

 

and then to top it off, id like something more comfortable than the 840's cause i listen for long hours.  oh, and ill be using a fiio e17.  i was looking at the shure 940's, and the akg 550's.....ive read up and down this forum.....and assuming the k550's fit my head.........im sure i am overthinking this, and both will probably serve me well........but what do you guys think?  which is a better fit for what im looking for?  opinions on these options are appreciated.

 

thanks again guys :)

The Shure 940 is a great headphone, but will have less bass than the 840. What you lose in bass you more than make up for in detail and clarity, it is truly amazing in that respect. However, it is a bit better with female vocals, which don't seem to be a focus of your list of artists. I have not heard the 550, but have read very good things about it. The Beyerdynamic DT880 would be a great one to try, but unfortunately it is not closed.

 

Welcome to Head-fi, where you will now continually be curious about what other headphones/amps/dacs sound like biggrin.gif

post #19188 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho2097 View Post

Thanks for the reply.  I did look at the JVC, but truth be told, I am not so sure about getting a not-so-famous set of cans"- is wat i was gonna say. Then i saw a 1.5 month old 99 page thread, filled with just "wow"s.

Let me tell u tell u something about that, when that happens, u close your eyes, take out ur card, n buy it. I m almost gonna, just pls convince me a bit more about the bass and the cable. 

- Is what I woul have said ten mins ago. Then I saw achmedisdead say this one sounds like heaven on Armin Van buren. I am sold. Done. 

 

PS- My soul is yours.

Buy it evil_smiley.gif

post #19189 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho2097 View Post

Thanks for the reply.  I did look at the JVC, but truth be told, I am not so sure about getting a not-so-famous set of cans"- is wat i was gonna say. Then i saw a 1.5 month old 99 page thread, filled with just "wow"s.
Let me tell u tell u something about that, when that happens, u close your eyes, take out ur card, n buy it. I m almost gonna, just pls convince me a bit more about the bass and the cable. 
- Is what I woul have said ten mins ago. Then I saw achmedisdead say this one sounds like heaven on Armin Van buren. I am sold. Done. 

PS- My soul is yours.
LOL ok I'm glad that helped. Let us know on S500 thread how you like them when they come in. BTW-- Amazon "Made In Japan Online" seller is legit and ships express.

Go a head and order these from B&H if you want to really bring out the mids (especially lower mids) and get a very suprisingly impressive, balanced sound for your very small investment.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/357361-REG/Sennheiser_075527_H_75527_Ear_Cushions.html
post #19190 of 29490
Any other suggestions besides the custom ones? Im also looking for another pair with similar specs but for $150 or under for a friend

Edited by skylinenegro - 9/21/12 at 8:15pm
post #19191 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo View Post

For above. Do you need isolation as that makes a big diffence to the sound and choices.
Also someone with another reccomendation for me? My post is the last but one on previous page. Thanks.

Ye I would like them to be closed

post #19192 of 29490

I found an ebay seller that claims delivery between sep 25-oct 8. 70$. Better, no?

post #19193 of 29490
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho2097 View Post

I found an ebay seller that claims delivery between sep 25-oct 8. 70$. Better, no?
If they look legit bro go for it. Just make sure it's japan and NOT china. I can only vouch for where I got mine. Good luck.
post #19194 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster2010 View Post

 

The Shure 940 is a great headphone, but will have less bass than the 840. What you lose in bass you more than make up for in detail and clarity, it is truly amazing in that respect. However, it is a bit better with female vocals, which don't seem to be a focus of your list of artists. I have not heard the 550, but have read very good things about it. The Beyerdynamic DT880 would be a great one to try, but unfortunately it is not closed.

 

Welcome to Head-fi, where you will now continually be curious about what other headphones/amps/dacs sound like biggrin.gif


I agree.  The 940 also has an excellent sound stage for a closed can.  If you're OK with neatral bass, it's a great choice.

 

The 550 is well regarded--if you don't have seal problems from a beard, side burns and sometimes glasses. 

 

The 880 is semi-open and does not leak as much as most open cans.  It is a classic and former flagship.

post #19195 of 29490

Hey guys, just received the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro and am really liking it at first listen.  I'm basically using them mostly as a commuting/subway/walking the city streets headphone and my only concern is its teetering on the edge of needing a bit more volume running straight from my iphone and laptop.  Being that these drivers are 16ohm should I amp them?  I've always been into home theater but not really headphones so I'm not quite sure what route to take.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

post #19196 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickleweed View Post

ok, im disgustingly indecisive.  and ive found another option!  arrgh

 

i have a shure 840 which i am reasonably happy with.  but curiosity is getting the best of me, and i want to see if there is anything better sounding out there.  id like something with a wider soundstage, better separation, more clarity, maybe some higher end sparkle.  mids that are presented forward.  the bass on the 840's is generally within an acceptable volume for me, maybe a hint more punch.  i need to stay in the closed, over ear variety.  i dont need portability per se, as i wont be walking around with them, but i will be taking them back and forth between home and work.  i listen to mainly stuff in the middle to higher registers....nothing overly bass driven.  

 

pain of salvation

coheed and cambria

eisley

nine inch nails

dream theater

a fine frenzy

jurassic 5

pink floyd

guns n roses

tool

bright eyes

lifehouse

taylor swift

 

thats basically the gist of what i listen to.  

 

and then to top it off, id like something more comfortable than the 840's cause i listen for long hours.  oh, and ill be using a fiio e17.  i was looking at the shure 940's, and the akg 550's.....ive read up and down this forum.....and assuming the k550's fit my head.........im sure i am overthinking this, and both will probably serve me well........but what do you guys think?  which is a better fit for what im looking for?  opinions on these options are appreciated.

 

thanks again guys :)

 



as someone posted above, the dt880 seems like the right fit for you, probably top 3 most comfortable headphones ever, very sturdy and pretty much the right fit for your genres.

i haven't heard the 940's but the k550's didn't appeal to me much, it has been 6 months since the audition, but from what i remember, the mids were too prominent for me, the treble sounded thin with no sparkle and the bass was okay, the seal is also kind of non-existent because there's no clamping force at all.

if you want portable, i'd suggest you try out the ultrasone 750, folds up and is quite comfortable with velour pads and a decent headband. the ultrasone also has quite a balanced signature so it would be at least diligent for your genres.

post #19197 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodytang View Post




as someone posted above, the dt880 seems like the right fit for you, probably top 3 most comfortable headphones ever, very sturdy and pretty much the right fit for your genres.
i haven't heard the 940's but the k550's didn't appeal to me much, it has been 6 months since the audition, but from what i remember, the mids were too prominent for me, the treble sounded thin with no sparkle and the bass was okay, the seal is also kind of non-existent because there's no clamping force at all.
if you want portable, i'd suggest you try out the ultrasone 750, folds up and is quite comfortable with velour pads and a decent headband. the ultrasone also has quite a balanced signature so it would be at least diligent for your genres.

How bad is the leakage/isolation? I'd be using them at work, so blocking out the guy next to me and not bugging him is kinda important

OR how are the 770's?
Edited by pickleweed - 9/21/12 at 9:46pm
post #19198 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickleweed View Post


How bad is the leakage/isolation? I'd be using them at work, so blocking out the guy next to me and not bugging him is kinda important
OR how are the 770's?


If you're in an open office they probably leak too much to take chance.  If there is a cube wall between you, the odds are better.  No guarantees, as everyone has different sensitivity.

 

The 770 has a "V" shaped EQ, with strong bass and recessed mids.  It is very comfortable.

post #19199 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadmito View Post

Hey guys, just received the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro and am really liking it at first listen.  I'm basically using them mostly as a commuting/subway/walking the city streets headphone and my only concern is its teetering on the edge of needing a bit more volume running straight from my iphone and laptop.  Being that these drivers are 16ohm should I amp them?  I've always been into home theater but not really headphones so I'm not quite sure what route to take.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 


They're new (not even a review on Amazon yet) and I see that you have also posted on the tread dedictated to this can.  You will probably get your best answer there.

post #19200 of 29490

Corda Jazz amp or Lake People G103-S to pair with HiFiMan HE-500?

 

 

I've been stewing over the question of which of these two highly rated amps is the best fit with my new HE-500's.  The Lake People G103-S is about $90 cheaper than the Corda Jazz but the latter has some interesting features like the crossfeed filter and active balanced ground.  More important is SQ with neutrality, realistic soundstage, detail and tonal accuracy the prime considerations. 

 

Any recommendations?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Audiolab 8200CD>>NAD C356BEE>>PSB Imagine T; Pro-Ject Head Box S>>HiFiMan HE-500

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum