or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 1274  

post #19096 of 29490

Can anyone help me? I'm looking to upgrade my portable set of cans (MDR ZX100s) to something a nicer, but still fairly cheap ($30 max, preferably less).

 

Some Info:

They need to be closed, don't care if it's supra aural (as long as the clamp force isn't too tight) or cirumaural, both are good to me. No IEMs please. I listen to alternative, classical, jazz, some hiphop, and rock, with a tiny bit of electronica. Artists included Radiohead, LCD Soundsystem, Gorrilaz, Orchestras, John Coltrane.

 

As for sound signature, I like treble that's somewhat in between grado-in-your-face and sennheiser-laid-back. So I guess "neutral" , but ever so slighty more per se. I love my mids to be there; I hate recessed mids. Mid centric headphones would be ideal. As for bass, I like it to be there, with punch and quality, but not overwhelming. Basically, I like quality bass that has presence, but is not the star of the show.

 

I use 10 band EQ on my portable so if there's a headphone that is close to what I'm looking for that I can EQ a little bit to fit my preferences a little better that works too!

 

I was looking at the Monoprice 8323 and the AKG K81DJ, if anyone has information about how these two stack up against each other, and how they would fit my needs, that would be great! And if you have other suggestions, please state them!

 

EDIT: And foldable too!

 

 

Thanks!


Edited by FCO2013 - 9/17/12 at 7:00pm
post #19097 of 29490

So I wanna get a nice setup of headphones and a portable amp for around 300. This is my first so i don't know what I should get.

 

Music genres: Rock, Blues, Jazz, Classical

 

Portable: Yes, it will mostly be portable as I am on a bus quite a bit.

 

Price range: 300

 

Amped: Yes, unless you convince me I don't need one.

 

Closed/Open: Closed, will be using them in public

 

Headphone preference: Not something particularly super bass heavy. I like a bit of bass, but too much is bad.

post #19098 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCO2013 View Post

Can anyone help me? I'm looking to upgrade my portable set of cans (MDR ZX100s) to something a nicer, but still fairly cheap ($30 max, preferably less).

 

Some Info:

They need to be closed, don't care if it's supra aural (as long as the clamp force isn't too tight) or cirumaural, both are good to me. No IEMs please. I listen to alternative, classical, jazz, some hiphop, and rock, with a tiny bit of electronica. Artists included Radiohead, LCD Soundsystem, Gorrilaz, Orchestras, John Coltrane.

 

As for sound signature, I like treble that's somewhat in between grado-in-your-face and sennheiser-laid-back. So I guess "neutral" , but ever so slighty more per se. I love my mids to be there; I hate recessed mids. Mid centric headphones would be ideal. As for bass, I like it to be there, with punch and quality, but not overwhelming. Basically, I like quality bass that has presence, but is not the star of the show.

 

I use 10 band EQ on my portable so if there's a headphone that is close to what I'm looking for that I can EQ a little bit to fit my preferences a little better that works too!

 

I was looking at the Monoprice 8323 and the AKG K81DJ, if anyone has information about how these two stack up against each other, and how they would fit my needs, that would be great! And if you have other suggestions, please state them!

 

EDIT: And foldable too!

 

 

Thanks!

I have the monoprice 8323. Fantastic can. durable, Good sound albeit a bit on the warm side of things. Here's my review.  Check it out, it should help.

 

 

post #19099 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCO2013 View Post

Can anyone help me? I'm looking to upgrade my portable set of cans (MDR ZX100s) to something a nicer, but still fairly cheap ($30 max, preferably less).

 

Some Info:

They need to be closed, don't care if it's supra aural (as long as the clamp force isn't too tight) or cirumaural, both are good to me. No IEMs please. I listen to alternative, classical, jazz, some hiphop, and rock, with a tiny bit of electronica. Artists included Radiohead, LCD Soundsystem, Gorrilaz, Orchestras, John Coltrane.

 

As for sound signature, I like treble that's somewhat in between grado-in-your-face and sennheiser-laid-back. So I guess "neutral" , but ever so slighty more per se. I love my mids to be there; I hate recessed mids. Mid centric headphones would be ideal. As for bass, I like it to be there, with punch and quality, but not overwhelming. Basically, I like quality bass that has presence, but is not the star of the show.

 

I use 10 band EQ on my portable so if there's a headphone that is close to what I'm looking for that I can EQ a little bit to fit my preferences a little better that works too!

 

I was looking at the Monoprice 8323 and the AKG K81DJ, if anyone has information about how these two stack up against each other, and how they would fit my needs, that would be great! And if you have other suggestions, please state them!

 

EDIT: And foldable too!

 

 

Thanks!


You need to wait until you can substantially increase you budget.  Don't waste your money of the Monoprice or the cheap AKG.  You already have can in that class.

post #19100 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guckymeister View Post

So I wanna get a nice setup of headphones and a portable amp for around 300. This is my first so i don't know what I should get.

 

Music genres: Rock, Blues, Jazz, Classical

 

Portable: Yes, it will mostly be portable as I am on a bus quite a bit.

 

Price range: 300

 

Amped: Yes, unless you convince me I don't need one.

 

Closed/Open: Closed, will be using them in public

 

Headphone preference: Not something particularly super bass heavy. I like a bit of bass, but too much is bad.


Beyerdynamic DT 1350.  If you want to spend almost $200 less, get the KRK KNS 8400.

post #19101 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guckymeister View Post

So I wanna get a nice setup of headphones and a portable amp for around 300. This is my first so i don't know what I should get.

 

Music genres: Rock, Blues, Jazz, Classical

 

Portable: Yes, it will mostly be portable as I am on a bus quite a bit.

 

Price range: 300

 

Amped: Yes, unless you convince me I don't need one.

 

Closed/Open: Closed, will be using them in public

 

Headphone preference: Not something particularly super bass heavy. I like a bit of bass, but too much is bad.

This should make your life a WHOLE LOT easier. The guys is...well you'll understand.

post #19102 of 29490

I'm fine with some bass, as long as it isn't overbearing.  Judging from the review I've been reading, these may fit the bill.


Edited by Rocklobster - 9/17/12 at 8:56pm
post #19103 of 29490

Quote:

Originally Posted by zul56 View Post

Hello, I need recommendation for my next headphone!

 

Who am I?

Final year engineering student. I am aiming for a first class in my degree, and i need music to study efficiently. So, a geek like me need a headphone as below:

 

What is your budget?

$150-$220

 

Are you OK with open cans?

No, I really don't want to disturb the person next to me in the library.. 

 

What equipment will be powering these cans?

Macbook & My Samsung Omnia 7 (yes, it's a windows phone!) beyersmile.png

 

What format of your music and other sounds will you be putting into these cans?

I listen to anything BUT orchestra, jazz and classics. I enjoy most of the top ten songs in billboard hot 100.

 

Do you plan to use them outside of your home?

Yes! Everywhere i go: grocery shopping, on the way to lecture, in town

 

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

I have Sennheiser hd212 Pro and Beats Solo and Studio. I am quite tired of a bassy and muddy headphones. I really want a headphone which can give me good clarity, but with a recognizable bass (but not too much bass like in Beats Studio)

 

To be honest, my favorite one so far is B&W P%, but its too outrageously expensive. frown.gif

 

Other Specifications:

1. Over Ear & Very Comfortable (Most important!)

3. Good Design & Durable

4. No need for battery

 

Did my research, and so far I am inclined to Bose AE2 since it's the most comfortable one (from my research). I have not tried it though. But there are ALOT of people going against it. confused_face_2.gif

 

Please help me for my headphone search, and need to ensure that this hard earned cash of mine is well spent. Thanks! :) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


I'll say this once again on these boards, comfort is a very (very, very) individual thing.  About the best we can do here is to point to cans that most people find to be comfortable.  Your mileage may vary--sometimes greatly.  There is no substitute for putting thme on your own head and leaving them there for the length of your longer listening sessions.

 

Rerun #2:  not having an amp greatly limits your choices in this price range--especiallly for closed cans.

 

Recommendation: Shure SRH 840.

Regarding #2, yes, my budget would extend to $250 mark if it need to be. Do you mind listing top 5 recommendation for my headphones specification.

 

I am having a look in Shure SRH840.

 

Thanks, you are AWESOME!

post #19104 of 29490

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


I am very pleased with pairing the D5000 and the hyrid HiFiMan EF2A.

I'd check that out for my D5000 as well.

Though isn't that a tube amp? Thought tube isn't really a good pair for a D5000.

Though I might be wrong, i'll try to go to the shop and test that out.

post #19105 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei7 View Post

I'd check that out for my D5000 as well.

Though isn't that a tube amp? Thought tube isn't really a good pair for a D5000.

Though I might be wrong, i'll try to go to the shop and test that out.


It's a hybrid--part tube, part solid state.  It works great for me...even better with the D7000.

post #19106 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by zul56 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by zul56 View Post

Hello, I need recommendation for my next headphone!

 

Who am I?

Final year engineering student. I am aiming for a first class in my degree, and i need music to study efficiently. So, a geek like me need a headphone as below:

 

What is your budget?

$150-$220

 

Are you OK with open cans?

No, I really don't want to disturb the person next to me in the library.. 

 

What equipment will be powering these cans?

Macbook & My Samsung Omnia 7 (yes, it's a windows phone!) beyersmile.png

 

What format of your music and other sounds will you be putting into these cans?

I listen to anything BUT orchestra, jazz and classics. I enjoy most of the top ten songs in billboard hot 100.

 

Do you plan to use them outside of your home?

Yes! Everywhere i go: grocery shopping, on the way to lecture, in town

 

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

I have Sennheiser hd212 Pro and Beats Solo and Studio. I am quite tired of a bassy and muddy headphones. I really want a headphone which can give me good clarity, but with a recognizable bass (but not too much bass like in Beats Studio)

 

To be honest, my favorite one so far is B&W P%, but its too outrageously expensive. frown.gif

 

Other Specifications:

1. Over Ear & Very Comfortable (Most important!)

3. Good Design & Durable

4. No need for battery

 

Did my research, and so far I am inclined to Bose AE2 since it's the most comfortable one (from my research). I have not tried it though. But there are ALOT of people going against it. confused_face_2.gif

 

Please help me for my headphone search, and need to ensure that this hard earned cash of mine is well spent. Thanks! :) 

Regarding #2, yes, my budget would extend to $250 mark if it need to be. Do you mind listing top 5 recommendation for my headphones specification.

 

I am having a look in Shure SRH840.

 

Thanks, you are AWESOME!


The budget increase doesn't help much without an amp or going to open cans.  My favorite closed can within your original budget is the KRK KNS 8400, but it is bass neutral and not within your sound signature preference.  The only other can I can think of that you might like is the Sony MDR-V900HD.

 

Adding an amp would let you (almost) reach the Ultrasone Pro 750--which loses its bass when not properly amped..

post #19107 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


It's a hybrid--part tube, part solid state.  It works great for me...even better with the D7000.

 

Sorry i'm fairly new to amping. If I may ask, what kind of improvement do you notice when you use it?

I'm really considering getting one, since I was looking for tube amps before I heard people saying that it wasn't that good for a D5000.

Since it's hybrid, things will be different I suppose and damn it looks sexy.

post #19108 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei7 View Post

 

Sorry i'm fairly new to amping. If I may ask, what kind of improvement do you notice when you use it?

I'm really considering getting one, since I was looking for tube amps before I heard people saying that it wasn't that good for a D5000.

Since it's hybrid, things will be different I suppose and damn it looks sexy.


Before I had the EF2A, I generally used a Yamaha Adventage (modern solid state A/V receiver with a good headphone out).  Moving to  EF2A, the sound stage increased, as did my ability to hear the individual musical voices.  The highs were tamed just a bit.  My music in virtually all cases came from well recorded and mastered (with the exception of just a few clunkers) on CD's.


Edited by KG Jag - 9/17/12 at 10:04pm
post #19109 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


Before I had the EF2A, I generally used a Yamaha Adventage (modern solid state A/V receiver with a good headphone out).  Moving to  EF2A, the sound stage increased, as did my ability to hear the individual musical voices.  The highs were tamed just a bit.  My music in virtually all cases came from well recorded and mastered (with the exception of just a few clunkers) on CD's.

Thanks for the info, again. I'm taking your word for it. I've ordered the EF2A from Amazon and i'll get it in a month or so. Will let you know how the amp turns out for me :)

post #19110 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


The budget increase doesn't help much without an amp or going to open cans.  My favorite closed can within your original budget is the KRK KNS 8400, but it is bass neutral and not within your sound signature preference.  The only other can I can think of that you might like is the Sony MDR-V900HD.

 

Adding an amp would let you (almost) reach the Ultrasone Pro 750--which loses its bass when not properly amped..

Alright, thanks KG Jag. Will try to get an amp in a month or so. For me now, its either Shure SRH840 or Sony MDR-V900HD. Thanks! 

 

Any good suggestions for my future amp? o2smile.gif

 

Cheers Mate!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum