Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... - Page 1272  

post #19066 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim726X View Post

Hello all,

Long time lurker here... Gotten some great advice in the past, so I figured you could help me again.

My Motorola S9-HD headset just died. I know the sound quality wasn't great, but I thought it was actually pretty good for a bluetooth headset. Apparently these are hard to find now, and I heard the S10 was a step in the opposite direction. What are some recommendations?
Well sir you haven't been lurking long enough if you didn't notice this is the full-sized headphones area of the forums.

Try your question in the portable/iem section and someone might hit you back.

Good luck...
post #19067 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by battousai View Post

 

hi,

 

I have the ATHM50s right now, but it's really uncomfortable to me.  Although the sound is pretty good, it's also a little too bass heavy for my taste.  I listen to a lot of acoustic/jazz/soft rock/instrumental/classical and the occasional hip-hop/rap/hard rock (but no metal).  Most of my music is FLAC so I'd love a pair of headphones with great detail, that are fairly neutral (maybe a little emphasis on the mids).  I would prefer a set of closed headphones since I will primarily be using them for work and commuting and I don't want to disturb other people around.  My budget is $200-250 for the headphones, and I'm not opposed to buying an amp.

 

You recommended:

-KRK KNS 8400

-Shure SRH 840

-Beyer DT 770

-Ultrasone Pro 750

 

I went to a local Guitar Center but they didn't have any demo phones.  However, I was able to find a local hi-fi store and was able to try (they didn't have the ones you recommended):

-AKG 240

-Another AKG I can't remember

-Beyerdynamic DT 660

-Sennheiser 558

 

Comfort-wise, I like the DT660 the best, it fit my ears and the pads were soft.  I felt that the sound was muted though.  I liked the sound out of the 240 the best, but that's a semi-open headset and I don't like that it has barely any isolation and the it wasn't that comfortable.  Finally, didn't really like the Sennheiser.
 

any more recommendations?  I can't find any more stores that might have headphones (I'll try Best Buy again)


Nope--I'll stay with my earlier recommendations (although the DT 770 has recessed mids).  All four cans I recommended are generally considered to very comfortable.  Of course what is comfortable for most may or may not be comfortable for you.

post #19068 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawdawg3234 View Post

Take a look at ultrasone. I think the pro 2900s would be perfect for one of your pair. I enjoy them more than my hd650s and they cost less which means you can spend the extra cash on other components.  If you're thinking about a portable rig i'd suggest the Fostex HP-P1 with an iPod running apple lossless

 

Hi, many thanks for the Ultrasone suggestion. I will have a look and will consider the Fostes HP-P1. Don't have lossless but for iPod a great idea. for a regular amp I'd be going for a USB DAC from Fiio.

post #19069 of 29491

Hi all, I'm looking for some full-sized headphones to use at work and wanted some recommendations:

 

What is your budget?

I am looking to spend between $300-$500 but am open to anything beyond that price range is the headphones meet all my requirements. So if in doubt please toss out a recommendation so i can at least look into the headphones!

 

Are you OK with open cans?

Open headphones would not work here. I share an office and don't want to bother my officemate. This is actually one of my key requirements. Currently I use IEMs (Westone UM3X's) and I would like a pair of headphones that have almost no sound leakage. I am not sure if that is possible but if it is not the amount of sound leaked needs to be super low.

 

What equipment will be powering these cans?

Currently am running Macbook Pro -> USB -> Audinst HUD-MX1 -> RCA -> M-stage Matrix 

 

What format of your music and other sounds will you be putting into these cans?

I listen to a lot of different genres of music but primarily am looking for headphones that can handle electronic music and rock-ish type music. I also listen to hip-hop music and something with some deep or impactful bass would be great. Lastly, I listen to movie soundtracks and orchestrated music in binges so if the headphones could handle all these I would be ecstatic. I find that my UM3X's do some of these genres great justice and are very respectable in the others.

 

Do you plan to use them outside of your home?

These are going to be used strictly in the office.

 

Appreciate any help I get here! Thanks!

post #19070 of 29491

Hello, I need recommendation for my next headphone!

 

Who am I?

Final year engineering student. I am aiming for a first class in my degree, and i need music to study efficiently. So, a geek like me need a headphone as below:

 

What is your budget?

$150-$220

 

Are you OK with open cans?

No, I really don't want to disturb the person next to me in the library.. 

 

What equipment will be powering these cans?

Macbook & My Samsung Omnia 7 (yes, it's a windows phone!) beyersmile.png

 

What format of your music and other sounds will you be putting into these cans?

I listen to anything BUT orchestra, jazz and classics. I enjoy most of the top ten songs in billboard hot 100.

 

Do you plan to use them outside of your home?

Yes! Everywhere i go: grocery shopping, on the way to lecture, in town

 

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

I have Sennheiser hd212 Pro and Beats Solo and Studio. I am quite tired of a bassy and muddy headphones. I really want a headphone which can give me good clarity, but with a recognizable bass (but not too much bass like in Beats Studio)

 

To be honest, my favorite one so far is B&W P%, but its too outrageously expensive. frown.gif

 

Other Specifications:

1. Over Ear & Very Comfortable (Most important!)

3. Good Design & Durable

4. No need for battery

 

Did my research, and so far I am inclined to Bose AE2 since it's the most comfortable one (from my research). I have not tried it though. But there are ALOT of people going against it. confused_face_2.gif

 

Please help me for my headphone search, and need to ensure that this hard earned cash of mine is well spent. Thanks! :) o2smile.gif

post #19071 of 29491

I want to see if I can receive some advice.  I'm a complete noob when it comes to headphones and equipment, but I'm a college student that needs to listen to music to help minimize distraction.  That being said I'm looking at putting together a starter kit for myself and wanted to see what the forums thoughts were.  I'm looking at this

 

Headphones: Closed (so i don't disturb other people)

                    Sound isolated

                    Comfortable

                    and can work with my iPhone 4s when need be

What I had in mind was the AKG k550 / 551 (when it comes out next month) 

I would like to keep the price below 300 for the headphones or below the 551's rumored price of 349

 

Equipment:  Amp/DAC

                 

I had my eye on either the HiFiMan ef2a or the Maverick Tubemagic D1. I am looking at one of these two because its a hybrid tube amp that I can try different tubes and OpAmps to get the sound I'm looking for.  I know these are desktops, which is what I'm looking for and if my iPhone isn't cutting it down the road than I'll look at a portable rig.

 

I would like to keep the price below 200 not including upgrade on tubes and OpAmps.  But I can purchase that stuff later. 

 

The music I'm going to listen to is: Blues, Classic Rock (like Beatles, McCartney, Clapton, Elvis), Rock like (Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Aerosmith), Guitar influenced music like Rodrigo y Gabriela, flamenco  some R&B, some heavy metal, rarely rap.  Pretty much all types of music.

 

Honestly I know a lot of people are going to say "for a little more ($100 more) you can get this and that." Which is very true but again I'm wanting to put together a starter kit that I can Upgrade here and there as time goes on. That and I'm a college student so I have a limited budget. After graduation I'll expand.  I'm pretty sure all the head-fi vets are asked for their advice often, but I really would appreciate some insight on the best route that might meet my needs and make me hungry for future upgrades, especially if you have had experience with the equipment I am looking at.  Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions in helping me out.

post #19072 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Buff View Post

Does anyone have any experience with Somic phones beyond the gamer headphones they sale. I'm specifically looking for info for their MH-463 (open) and MH-489 (closed) models. Just looking for the next BFTB set of cans.


BUMP...

post #19073 of 29491

Anyone has a good idea on what amps I should get for my Denon D5000.

Would be good if you could recommend a portable and non-portable one.

My eyes are on Objective2 amp but not quite sure if it's going to go well with D5000.

post #19074 of 29491

Going to uni. Upgrading from M50s.

Budget : $500.

Uses: At room. Music (Radiohead, jazz, NIN, classical - all in FLAC), then films and gaming.

Over-the-ears preferred.

Isolation/Cancellation is not a must, but a very good plus.

 

To drive them I have a Scarlett 2i2, and a Cowon X7.

I don't want a pair that absolutely needs a desktop amp to be driven. But I'm willing to get an E17, as it will better my Shure SE215's performance too.

 

Overall, I looked into

 

HIFIMAN HE 400

HIFIMAN HE - 4

(how much difference is between these two?)

 

Senn HD 598 (I read that bass is anemic, though they seem a bargain)

Senn HD600 (hard to drive?)

 

And, another irrelevant but relevant question. I could buy a couple of monitors instead of new cans, would you recommend me checking that option as well?

post #19075 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei7 View Post

Anyone has a good idea on what amps I should get for my Denon D5000.

Would be good if you could recommend a portable and non-portable one.

My eyes are on Objective2 amp but not quite sure if it's going to go well with D5000.

The D5000 doesn't really need an amp as it has a pretty low impedance and the sensitivity isn't too low either. That being said, I have the ODAC/O2 combo for my D5000. They work quite well because they are designed to be neutral, so it won't add anything extra to any part of the sound spectrum. Whatever amp you choose, I'd stay away fro ones that are warm as this will place more emphasis on the already powerful bass.

 

The O2 technically is portable, but it is a bit big to carry around. It also only has a line-in for an input, so if you are planning to run it off of your computer you would need a stand alone DAC with USB and a line-out such as the ODAC.

 

I'm not really knowledgeable about DACs and Amps, so this is about all that I can help you with.

post #19076 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster2010 View Post

The D5000 doesn't really need an amp as it has a pretty low impedance and the sensitivity isn't too low either. That being said, I have the ODAC/O2 combo for my D5000. They work quite well because they are designed to be neutral, so it won't add anything extra to any part of the sound spectrum. Whatever amp you choose, I'd stay away fro ones that are warm as this will place more emphasis on the already powerful bass.

 

The O2 technically is portable, but it is a bit big to carry around. It also only has a line-in for an input, so if you are planning to run it off of your computer you would need a stand alone DAC with USB and a line-out such as the ODAC.

 

I'm not really knowledgeable about DACs and Amps, so this is about all that I can help you with.

 

So it doesn't really need an amp. Ok.. I've never amped before so i'm quite new to this.

I'm quite happy with what the D5000 has already delivered. But if there is anything that could be improved, I'd definitely want to check it out. Not really in a rush since I just got my D5000.

 

Noted. I was digging some old post about O2 being a good amp for the D5000, so I was wondering if it really does give some improvements. Not being portable is alright since I always listen to my headphone indoor anyway.

 

Thanks for the info. If there is anything else you would like to share, please do.

post #19077 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei7 View Post

 

So it doesn't really need an amp. Ok.. I've never amped before so i'm quite new to this.

I'm quite happy with what the D5000 has already delivered. But if there is anything that could be improved, I'd definitely want to check it out. Not really in a rush since I just got my D5000.

 

Noted. I was digging some old post about O2 being a good amp for the D5000, so I was wondering if it really does give some improvements. Not being portable is alright since I always listen to my headphone indoor anyway.

 

Thanks for the info. If there is anything else you would like to share, please do.

I would look more towards a DAC if you are using it at your desk, as it will give you a cleaner signal and should allow your headphones to better replicate the actual music. I'd chheck out the ODAC and HRT Headstreamer as good solutions to start out with. They can be had for ~$150 and $140 respectively.

 

If you want to improve the sound of the D5000, the best known solution is the Markl Mod. This requires some handy-work, but isn't too hard to do if you are careful and patient. Also, follow the steps in the thread to make the raised up pads, or buy the Lawton audio pads from Lawton audio, or if you can find a pair of J$ Denon pads, grab those.

post #19078 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster2010 View Post

I would look more towards a DAC if you are using it at your desk, as it will give you a cleaner signal and should allow your headphones to better replicate the actual music. I'd chheck out the ODAC and HRT Headstreamer as good solutions to start out with. They can be had for ~$150 and $140 respectively.

 

If you want to improve the sound of the D5000, the best known solution is the Markl Mod. This requires some handy-work, but isn't too hard to do if you are careful and patient. Also, follow the steps in the thread to make the raised up pads, or buy the Lawton audio pads from Lawton audio, or if you can find a pair of J$ Denon pads, grab those.

Definitely forgot about DAC. Will check the ODAC and HRT Headstreamer out.

 

Wow that mod looks hardcore. Too early for me to do it but i'll definitely consider it in the future. Thanks a bunch for all the help.

post #19079 of 29491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei7 View Post

Definitely forgot about DAC. Will check the ODAC and HRT Headstreamer out.

 

Wow that mod looks hardcore. Too early for me to do it but i'll definitely consider it in the future. Thanks a bunch for all the help.

Glad to help. The mod isn't too hard, but no need to rush into it for sure. Enjoy the D5000, and if you feel like trying to get more out of it then the mod is there to test out. Definitely check out the after market ear pads though as they improve the sound and comfort IMO.

 

If you pick up the O2, then don't get the HRT Headstreamer as the heaphone output is amplified, so you would be sending an amplified signal to the O2 which could lead to added distortion.

post #19080 of 29491

Hi guys,

 

My AKG K181 DJ broke down (again) and since they're out of warranty I am looking for a new pair of headphones for everyday, around the computer, use. What I'm looking for:

-durability

-sound quality with low quality recordings (YouTube etc.)

-overall sound quality (mostly for electronica)

-DJ like mobility (so you can easily wear them around the neck, on one ear only etc.)

 

I really liked the K181 DJ's and similar headphones with more soundstage and a bit better mids would be the absolute perfection for the given task. They will be used with either iBasso D2+ Boa or Headstage Arrow 12 HE. 

 

The only real contestants I could find are: the loved-by-everybody Sennheiser HD 25-1 II and the very-new-and-unreviewed AKG K267.

 

I already own Westone UM3x IEM's and will soon buy AKG Q701 for gaming, movies...

 

Thank you!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum