or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 1236  

post #18526 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEvilNarwhal View Post

I am sorry but my priorities are always changing in what I want for my first headphone. I am looking for a closed full size headphone that is $200 or less. I listen to mostly alternativ/ alternative rock, classic rock, and some dance and hip-hop. My budget is $200 for the headphones themselves, not including an amp. Recommendations for amps under $100 are welcome too. I have heard good reviews about the Shure srh840, the Sennheiser 25, and the Beyerdynamic dt770. I have also heard the Koss Dj100 are well worth the money too, and I can get them from a store that is close.


The Shure is the best all-arrounder for your mix of genres.  The Ultrasone HiFi 780 with heavier bass and brighter highs is also an option.

post #18527 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy19963 View Post

Nothing? I listen to a lot of Jason Mraz, Jack Johnson, and the like


What you want probably can't be found within your budget--unless your willing to make a compromise or two.

post #18528 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kost View Post

Hi, im looking for an amp that pairs well with Senn 650's, and that will kick out enough power to drive most cans with authority. All for under 1k<.  I listen to classical, rock, metal, blues, alternative. As far as tube or solid state goes, they both seem to have merits, and having one would just mean id enjoy some of my collection more than others.

 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.


Check the Senn 650 appreciation thread.

post #18529 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by zevim2005 View Post

Im in doubt between V-moda 80 x Ultrasone hfi 780,but i think that im going with the ultrasone cause i preefer over ear....do you guys think thats its a good choice???

 

1.Isolation and portable its important for me cause i need for outside use

2.A headphone that progressive trance sounds amazing but i can listen to rock and reggae too

3.Dont want to use with amp

4.Preffer with removable output cable

 

My budget is 200u$

 

*Sorry for my english mistakesbiggrin.gif

 

Thanks!


Both are good cans in their class.  You will just have to make the call based on your own preferences.

post #18530 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster2010 View Post

Does it matter if the headphones are closed/open, on-ear/over-ear?

Portable or at-home use?

Will you use an amp?

What is the price range that you are looking at?

 



Closed would be my first choice followed by semi-closed and open.

Also would prefer over ear but on ear is fine too.

It's mainly going to be for home use but I might take it to college just a few times for walking around.

I'm not planning on using an amp but if the headphones absolutely need it then i might look into it.

And my budget is around the same price at the KRK's.

post #18531 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


Closed cans in this price range, especially those for portable use, are a real challenge. The Pro 900 is a basshead can.  The cheaper Pro 750 is better balanced.  However, I would suggest that you look to the Shure SRH 940--keeping your 580's for your basshead pleasures.  The other option is the new D600 Denon (I have not heard them).

Thank you for taking the time to read my wall of text. :)

 

Portability just needs to be portable enough. By this, I need to be able to put it in my carry on luggage without worrying about breaking them into a million pieces. They don't have to fold or be super thin or anything. Isolation and sound quality are much more important, and are what i'm looking for.

 

Worst case, they stay on my head the entire time I'm traveling. On second thought, that's also the best case!

 

I will definitely keep those two in mind. I'll have to go the route of keeping the 580's then for the bassy music.

post #18532 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurite View Post

 



Closed would be my first choice followed by semi-closed and open.

Also would prefer over ear but on ear is fine too.

It's mainly going to be for home use but I might take it to college just a few times for walking around.

I'm not planning on using an amp but if the headphones absolutely need it then i might look into it.

And my budget is around the same price at the KRK's.

It will be difficult to find things with great soundstage in closed headphones in that price range. It is even more difficult to find soundstage, detail and clarity in that price range in general. You may be able to find a used pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm in the $120-$150 range. These are very nice and have the detail and soundstage that you are looking for. They however have a different sound signature than the KRKs, as they are bass heavy and have a "V" shaped sound instead of a neutral one. You also might get lucky and find a used DT880 in the $150 range, though you would need to purchase some sort of amp for it. The DT880 is semi-open, but will have a similar sound signature to the KRK but much better. These would be my recommendations, but they both may be just out of your price range and are better with an amp.

 

Another thing to look at is the Superlux 681/Samson SR850. Both are almost exactly the same with a couple small differences. They are semi-open and easy to drive so you won't need an amp. They have a great soundstage, great clarity, and surprisingly don't leak very much sound for being semi-open. The Best price is that they are $60 or less.

post #18533 of 29490

I the context of my original inquiry: http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op/18405#post_8646059

 

Thank you both for the thoughtful replies. KG, you say Q701 is the best fit--However, the more I read about them, the less of a good fit they seem to be. Basically having an oversized sound stage and overly-analytical quality about them.

 

As far as the sennheiser "dark" sound....what does "dark" refer too? Rounded off treble?

 

At the end of the day, I need a good prog-rock headphone that's capable enough of giving fair representation of classical and whatnot. I like analytical qualities from my sound systems. But not to the point that intimacy and connection are lost, and hopefully not so warm that the sound is layered under mud.

 

I've been on the headphone search for about a week now, and I'm no more certain as to what headphones would fit me best than I was when I started. Anyone know of a good place to do headphone shopping in Ohio? I'd love to try some cans on and see what I think.

 

Thanks again

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


The Q701 is the best fit.  Second choice would be the HD 558 or 598.  The DT 880 (+/- Pro) is good as well, but falls just a bit short on the sound stage you seek.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxophone View Post

 

I was just listening to Bob Dylan and the Band! The Q701's are supposedly hard to drive, so you will need an amp for those bad boys. The AD900 was what I was thinking throughout your spiel, but as you said, the AKG's are quite impressive. Sennheiser is known for having a "darker" sound, if you will. But, this doesn't necessarily take away from what they can do. For instance, the HD 800 is pretty well received on this forum. If you don't mind used, you might be able to snag yourself a pair of HD 600's for a reasonable price. I don't know much about the Ultrasone models. An outside possibility may be a used pair of SRH 1440s if you can find someone selling them.

post #18534 of 29490

Hey guys, I've been lurking for a bit and I can't decide between a few headphones. I'm looking for something I can use for gaming and music (some bands I like: Linkin Park, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bon Jovi, and some electronic like Madeon, Zedd and deadmau5). I've narrowed it down to these three:

 

- ATH-AD700: According to most reviews, really lacks bass. What I want to know is how much they lack, only pair of good headphones I've heard are the Sennheiser HD408, so if you could compare them to those, it would be golden. Also, Mad Lust Envy says they're uncomfortable.

 

- ATH-M50: These are supposedly the most all-rounders, but they aren't that good for gaming.

 

- CAL: This is (according to MLE), kind of like the M50, so, still not that good for gaming.

 

Any other suggestions? I think the gaming/music ratio would be 50/50.

post #18535 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasTrox View Post

Hey guys, I've been lurking for a bit and I can't decide between a few headphones. I'm looking for something I can use for gaming and music (some bands I like: Linkin Park, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bon Jovi, and some electronic like Madeon, Zedd and deadmau5). I've narrowed it down to these three:

 

- ATH-AD700: According to most reviews, really lacks bass. What I want to know is how much they lack, only pair of good headphones I've heard are the Sennheiser HD408, so if you could compare them to those, it would be golden. Also, Mad Lust Envy says they're uncomfortable.

 

- ATH-M50: These are supposedly the most all-rounders, but they aren't that good for gaming.

 

- CAL: This is (according to MLE), kind of like the M50, so, still not that good for gaming.

 

Any other suggestions? I think the gaming/music ratio would be 50/50.


Have you checked the gaming headphones link that appears in the opening post of this thread?

 

What's your budget?

post #18536 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


Have you checked the gaming headphones link that appears in the opening post of this thread?

 

What's your budget?

 

Yes, I have, which is why I mentioned Mad Lust Envy's opinion on them :P. My budget would be around $150.

 

By the way, I'll buy a MixAmp later down the road, so that'll take care of the surround sound. Meanwhile, I'm using them on my PC with my onboard sound card.

 

The main problem I have with the AD700 is the bass, but if they're ok to listen to the bands I listed then they're perfect for me.

post #18537 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasTrox View Post

 

Yes, I have, which is why I mentioned Mad Lust Envy's opinion on them :P. My budget would be around $150.

 

By the way, I'll buy a MixAmp later down the road, so that'll take care of the surround sound. Meanwhile, I'm using them on my PC with my onboard sound card.

 

The main problem I have with the AD700 is the bass, but if they're ok to listen to the bands I listed then they're perfect for me.


The 700 is bass lite and the M50 makes a lousy gaming can.  At our budget level, you'll have to make some compromises.

post #18538 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


The 700 is bass lite and the M50 makes a lousy gaming can.  At our budget level, you'll have to make some compromises.

 

Any other suggestions, or should I just go for the AD700? Like I said, if you have heard the HD408 and could compare those, it'd be enough for me to decide. If the bass is at least like that, it's enough for me.

post #18539 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


What you want probably can't be found within your budget--unless your willing to make a compromise or two.

 

Really? I mean, I've found the SRH840s and the M50s at that price. I just don't know if those will give me what I want.


Edited by jimmy19963 - 8/29/12 at 7:47pm
post #18540 of 29490

How are the Brainwavz HM5's compared to the KRK 8400's in terms of clarity, neutrality, and soundstage? Are they basically the same but HM5 has a bigger soundstage?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum