or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 1234  

post #18496 of 29490

Hmm.... after a lot of consideration I went with the M50s. I decided I didn't really want straight out balance and like a bit of heavier bass so the SHURE was out. I decided I couldn't really compare the 780 with M50 because they aren't really in the same price range (the 580 moreso) and I didn't want to spend too much on my first pair of headphones so the 780 was out. In the end, I leaned towards the M50 due because it seems to be more comfortable overall and plus the more I look the more I like the design. Thanks all for the help! :)

post #18497 of 29490

Hi all, I could really use some advice. I'm looking to get my wife a nice set of headphones. I have some criteria but I'm not really in synch with the market on them. I'm hoping I can throw down a list and get some help, so here it goes.

 

Noise Isolation is a big deal so I'm guessing something closed.

She listens to everything from Singer/Songwriter to Pop and Alternative. Not too concerned with bass but it would be nice to have some presence.

Definitely not advanced enough to worry about needing an amp and she mostly listens on her computer. Portability isn't a must because she doesn't travel that much but it would be nice if they weren't an anchor.

Comfort will be a deal breaker and to add to that it would be nice if they were aesthetically pleasing.

Finally price. I'm hoping to stay around $150 but can flex either way a little as long as the quality is worth it.

 

So how about it am I too far out there? Also, for myself I am thinking about the Aviators, mostly because I like how they look (retro) but I want something with a little bass and noise isolation. I hear they are not the best for either? I appreciate everyone's time and thanks in advance.

post #18498 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsGTO View Post

Hi all, I could really use some advice. I'm looking to get my wife a nice set of headphones. I have some criteria but I'm not really in synch with the market on them. I'm hoping I can throw down a list and get some help, so here it goes.

 

Noise Isolation is a big deal so I'm guessing something closed.

She listens to everything from Singer/Songwriter to Pop and Alternative. Not too concerned with bass but it would be nice to have some presence.

Definitely not advanced enough to worry about needing an amp and she mostly listens on her computer. Portability isn't a must because she doesn't travel that much but it would be nice if they weren't an anchor.

Comfort will be a deal breaker and to add to that it would be nice if they were aesthetically pleasing.

Finally price. I'm hoping to stay around $150 but can flex either way a little as long as the quality is worth it.

 

So how about it am I too far out there? Also, for myself I am thinking about the Aviators, mostly because I like how they look (retro) but I want something with a little bass and noise isolation. I hear they are not the best for either? I appreciate everyone's time and thanks in advance.


The KRK KNS 8400 would be great for her, although they would probably be bass light to you.  The Shure SRH 840 and Sony MDR 7510 are also worth considering.

post #18499 of 29490

Hey guys. I'm looking for my first pair of over ears. I'm trying really hard to keep it under $100 but that doesn't mean you can't recommend something pricier. I'm sure I can find w/e on eBay used or maybe in the trade section. I LOVE vocals so that is super important. I also like my bass to be strong and impactful. They have to be closed. I'll be plugging them directly into my iPod touch 4th gen and Asus laptop. No money for an amp now but maybe a Fiio later on.

post #18500 of 29490

 

My original post (Click to show)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blabbet View Post

Hello!

 

I need to buy new headphones since my old headset is almost completly broken and I want better audio.

They will replace my old headset and I'm going to use them for gaming, music and movies. So it's very important that they are comfortable since I will be wearing them for long periods.

My experience of headphones so far is almost none. The quality headphones I have listened to so far is M-audio M40, Beyerdynamic DT 770, AKG 601.

 

Music genres: I listen to a lot of different genres for example. indie pop,house,alternatiive rock, progressive rock, modern dubstep.

Portable: No, only at the computer.

Price range:  $150-250

Amped: Not at first but i will probably consider to buy either an external soundcard or an amp/dac. Recommendations are appreciated.

Closed/Open: I think i want open cans both for the comfort and the sound.
 

I live in Sweden so I prefer to buy them from Europe. Shipment and VAT makes US expensive, but a good bargain could still be interesting.

 


Thanks in advance,


Blabbet

 

 

 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecansmancan View Post

So like KG Jag I'm clueless about cans in Europe. So to solve this problem I'm just going to bombard you with options. Hopefully at least one will work.

 

I recommend taking a look at the AKG 701. I'm not personally familiar with it so i can't give you details. I can however tell you it's a little on the brighter side and generally well respected around here. They would be at the very top of your budget at the least. But definitely look into them they are opened so they have that going for them. Amp I'm also not going to speak for on these (haha, sorry i did a little research on them for an upgrade i was making and they quickly fell short of MY specific preference) so look into them there's plenty of stuff on the around.

 

Next  I would recommend the Shure SRH-840. Built like a tank with sq just as solid. Relatively balanced sound signature. So that helps with cross genre listening. They don't need an amp, but at around $150 you have plenty of room to purchase one and stay in budget. And in that case i recommend a Fiio E10 amp/dac combo. They are closed back;however, their sound stage, for being closed back, is pretty phenomenal. Here's a full review. I have a little bit of stuff confused but it should help regardless.

 

you MIGHT be able to get the sennhieser HD 600 for under $250. I did. But you absolutely HAVE to have an amp. So if you can stretch quite a bit that may be a good option. They're open back. And pretty famous. And by pretty famous i mean a Head-fi deity. Now i can't give you a personal accounts on there sound because mine are still in transit. However if that's the route you want to take there are plenty of articles about them.

 

Beyond that Beyerdynamic has a good name. I'm not overly familiar with them or there sound so look around. I do know they have several pairs that meet your parameter at least style and price wise, so take a look around.

 

Now the last headphone I'm going to recommend is probably the most famous (or infamous) open headphone company. Grado. They have a great name. In fact they sr60 is often regarded as Head-fi's gate way drug. SO take a look at there lines see if anything meets your expectation. They're sound signature is rather unique and it seems to be rather hit or miss so, you may want to see if you can listen in person. KG Jag often describes it as a "wall of sound" if that gives you some idea.

 

Anyway, hope at least one of those options works for you. Sorry for not being overly specific I'm relatively new so my gear is fairly limited. I try not to give specifics on headphones I've never owned/used. Best of luck.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


If you like bass (and for sure if you don't) but are not a basshead, the Sony MDR-MA900 may be for you.

 

Of course know next to nothing about prices of cans in Europe.

 

Thanks for the answers and sorry for my late reply.
All the mentioned headphones except Shure SRH-840 is a little out of my price range and the Grado sr60 is not an alternative since I want the headphones to fully cover my ears.

I would love to live in USA just because of the prices =)


I have found some headphones with a more comfortable price:

Sennheiser 555/595/598
AKG 601
Shure SRH-840
ATH M-50


Is the above something to have?

Is there any other headphones that fits my criteria and is in the price range of the headphones i meantioned above?

Does gladly accept more suggestions and thoughts.

Thanks in advance,


Blabbet

post #18501 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blabbet View Post

 

Thanks for the answers and sorry for my late reply.
All the mentioned headphones except Shure SRH-840 is a little out of my price range and the Grado sr60 is not an alternative since I want the headphones to fully cover my ears.

I would love to live in USA just because of the prices =)


I have found some headphones with a more comfortable price:

Sennheiser 555/595/598
AKG 601
Shure SRH-840
ATH M-50


Is the above something to have?

Is there any other headphones that fits my criteria and is in the price range of the headphones i meantioned above?

Does gladly accept more suggestions and thoughts.

Thanks in advance,


Blabbet


The 601 is bass light and needs an amp--so it's out.

 

The 598 is by far the best of the Senns.  Its bass is decent, but not pronounced and my be a little slow for some of your music.  It is an excellent all-arrounder and easy to drive.

 

The M50 has a "V" shaped EQ with recessed mids.  If you want a bass heavy can and are OK with its recessed mids, this might be your choice.

 

The Shure will give you a bit more bass than neutral with its mid bass hump and is a good all-arrounder.  It comes with not only a removable cable but also with a second set of ear pads.

 

I rate the Senn HD 598 the best with the Shure being the runner up.  However, my genre's tend to work very well with the best all-arrounder, while yours might not.

post #18502 of 29490

Question head-fiers.....

 

I may be buying PRO 900 in the next year. I see they only have 40 ohms. Isn't that low? Can they be driven through a Mac or iPhone? Sorry if this is a stupid question lol

post #18503 of 29490

Hey all, first post.

 

Looking for a new pair of headphones to replace my busted Grado SR-60s, which served me well. I ended up getting AIAIAI TMA-1 studio headphones on the recommendation of a friend, and while they certainly sounded good, the fact that the earpads fell off about five minutes after opening them (as well as some weird rattling sound it makes whenever I move them around) annoyed the hell out of me, considering how much I paid for them. I'm returning them for a refund, and might actually consider getting a new pair (they sounded good, looked nice, and were very comfortable, and I'd like to get the option with the mic), but am also wondering if there are better/different choices to consider.

 

My price range is $250-300, and I'd like an around-ear/closed design. Sound isolation would be nice, but isn't necessarily a priority. I definitely don't have the money for a nice pair of headphones AND an amp, so I'm looking something that sounds great without needing one. I'm all over the place with genres (really!) so something that isn't necessarily "meant" for a certain genre of music (rock, electronic, whatever) would be preferable (though for what it's worth, it's mostly rock/metal type stuff). Worth mentioning that this is mostly going to be in use at my desktop computer, as opposed to an MP3 player.

 

Oh, and I'd like them to be sturdy and comfortable. The latter quality being extremely important.

 

Thanks in advance!

post #18504 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazBro123 View Post

Question head-fiers.....

 

I may be buying PRO 900 in the next year. I see they only have 40 ohms. Isn't that low? Can they be driven through a Mac or iPhone? Sorry if this is a stupid question lol


The # of Ohms involved is only part of the equation to tell you whether a can is easy to drive or not.

post #18505 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford View Post

Hey all, first post.

 

Looking for a new pair of headphones to replace my busted Grado SR-60s, which served me well. I ended up getting AIAIAI TMA-1 studio headphones on the recommendation of a friend, and while they certainly sounded good, the fact that the earpads fell off about five minutes after opening them (as well as some weird rattling sound it makes whenever I move them around) annoyed the hell out of me, considering how much I paid for them. I'm returning them for a refund, and might actually consider getting a new pair (they sounded good, looked nice, and were very comfortable, and I'd like to get the option with the mic), but am also wondering if there are better/different choices to consider.

 

My price range is $250-300, and I'd like an around-ear/closed design. Sound isolation would be nice, but isn't necessarily a priority. I definitely don't have the money for a nice pair of headphones AND an amp, so I'm looking something that sounds great without needing one. I'm all over the place with genres (really!) so something that isn't necessarily "meant" for a certain genre of music (rock, electronic, whatever) would be preferable (though for what it's worth, it's mostly rock/metal type stuff). Worth mentioning that this is mostly going to be in use at my desktop computer, as opposed to an MP3 player.

 

Oh, and I'd like them to be sturdy and comfortable. The latter quality being extremely important.

 

Thanks in advance!


Closed and no amp very much limits your options.  Perhaps the Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9A or Beyer DT 1350.

post #18506 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


Closed and no amp very much limits your options.  Perhaps the Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9A or Beyer DT 1350.

 


Eh, as far as closed/open I guess it really doesn't matter that much, but I like I said, I don't have the money for headphones AND an amp, unless there's some very, very inexpensive choice I can work with. Which I doubt.

post #18507 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford View Post

 


Eh, as far as closed/open I guess it really doesn't matter that much, but I like I said, I don't have the money for headphones AND an amp, unless there's some very, very inexpensive choice I can work with. Which I doubt.


If open are in play the Grados through the 325is and Alessandro MS2i are options.

post #18508 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinoob005 View Post

Hi guys,

So i am looking for a circumaural closed/open (preferably closed) bass heavy headset with a warm sound, that still have good mids, full body sound,  FUN sound, that can play stuff like rammstein, rob zombie, prodigy, something that can handle fast low frequency music. Someone previously recomended a pair of HFI 2400, but i did some reasearch in the while and i dont know if they will do the job, and they require an lamp amplifier not so sound harsh. Also have the ultrasone DJ1, but they are too harsh for my taste. I was thinking of the Q40, especially since they are $100 cheaper the the 2400's. What should i go for? Maximum budget is around $230-$250, although if i could spend less that would be better. I will play lossless as much as possible, hq mp3's comming from a xonar st.


So guys do you think the 2400 will do the trick or should i go for something else, like q40 or even shures?

post #18509 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford View Post

Hey all, first post.

Looking for a new pair of headphones to replace my busted Grado SR-60s, which served me well. I ended up getting AIAIAI TMA-1 studio headphones on the recommendation of a friend, and while they certainly sounded good, the fact that the earpads fell off about five minutes after opening them (as well as some weird rattling sound it makes whenever I move them around) annoyed the hell out of me, considering how much I paid for them. I'm returning them for a refund, and might actually consider getting a new pair (they sounded good, looked nice, and were very comfortable, and I'd like to get the option with the mic), but am also wondering if there are better/different choices to consider.

My price range is $250-300, and I'd like an around-ear/closed design. Sound isolation would be nice, but isn't necessarily a priority. I definitely don't have the money for a nice pair of headphones AND an amp, so I'm looking something that sounds great without needing one. I'm all over the place with genres (really!) so something that isn't necessarily "meant" for a certain genre of music (rock, electronic, whatever) would be preferable (though for what it's worth, it's mostly rock/metal type stuff). Worth mentioning that this is mostly going to be in use at my desktop computer, as opposed to an MP3 player.

Oh, and I'd like them to be sturdy and comfortable. The latter quality being extremely important.

Thanks in advance!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005E8MV14/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used
post #18510 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinoob005 View Post


So guys do you think the 2400 will do the trick or should i go for something else, like q40 or even shures?


Haven't heard the Q40, but the 2400 will give you strong bass, slam and a very good build quality.  They also don't leak very much.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum