or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 1181  

post #17701 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokMadui View Post

Hey, thanks for the reply. I've read a bit about the O-ones. I don't think they are the right pair for me. I listen to classical once in a while, not as much as I listen to metal and rock, so I would like a neutral headphone that could handle most genres pretty well while giving me a clear representation of the recording.

 

I've read about the Shure SRH840 - most people claim for a neutral, yet a bit mid-range emphasized sound with a bit of bass.

I can get them for a good price in my area, so I'm quite interested.

 

What about Beyerdynamic? Any fairly neutral pair from them in a reasonable price?


The DT 880 (+/-Pro) is the neutral (and detail oriented) Beyer--before you get to the much more expensive Teslas.  They usually go for between $225 and $325, depending to some degree on which version and Ohm rating you select.

post #17702 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


The DT 880 (+/-Pro) is the neutral (and detail oriented) Beyer--before you get to the much more expensive Teslas.  They usually go for between $225 and $325, depending to some degree on which version and Ohm rating you select.

 

I can't really steer from my budget, as prices in my country are significantly higher than the MSRP. I can't say I don't want one of those DT880s, though. Looks and sounds like a very interesting pair.

 

Anyway, I just wanted to ask again about the Shures. How do they scale up value wise? Are they capable headphones or just fairly neutral with no added depth?

post #17703 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokMadui View Post

 

I can't really steer from my budget, as prices in my country are significantly higher than the MSRP. I can't say I don't want one of those DT880s, though. Looks and sounds like a very interesting pair.

 

Anyway, I just wanted to ask again about the Shures. How do they scale up value wise? Are they capable headphones or just fairly neutral with no added depth?

The 840s are well regarded for their price point. I have not head them, but what you said about them is accurate. They are supposed to be fairly neutral with a bump in the mid bass.

post #17704 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster2010 View Post

The 840s are well regarded for their price point. I have not head them, but what you said about them is accurate. They are supposed to be fairly neutral with a bump in the mid bass.


I'm seriously considering buying them, yet from all the descriptions of their sound signature I've yet read, I fear they may be too boring sometimes. A bit like my Shure SE215.

 

Anyway, can anyone please clarify if they have some added value (in terms of future upgrades like amplification, better sources, etc.) to them? Or what you hear in the first few listens is what you'll hear for the rest of the headphone's life?

post #17705 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokMadui View Post


I'm seriously considering buying them, yet from all the descriptions of their sound signature I've yet read, I fear they may be too boring sometimes. A bit like my Shure SE215.

 

Anyway, can anyone please clarify if they have some added value (in terms of future upgrades like amplification, better sources, etc.) to them? Or what you hear in the first few listens is what you'll hear for the rest of the headphone's life?


What's your baseline?  The 840 matches well with the best music sources (e.g. well recorded and mastered CD tracks) played through a high quality home receiver or $150 to $200 desktop headphone amp.  Beyond that you should be looking at more expensive cans anyway.

 

No one can get inside your head or between your ears to know how you will perceive the sound of any headphone.  You should try to listen to any can about which you are seriously interested.  If that is not possible read as many quality reviews as you can.  Tyll has found them good enough to put on his Wall of Fame:

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

post #17706 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


What's your baseline?  The 840 matches well with the best music sources (e.g. well recorded and mastered CD tracks) played through a high quality home receiver or $150 to $200 desktop headphone amp.  Beyond that you should be looking at more expensive cans anyway.

 

No one can get inside your head or between your ears to know how you will perceive the sound of any headphone.  You should try to listen to any can about which you are seriously interested.  If that is not possible read as many quality reviews as you can.  Tyll has found them good enough to put on his Wall of Fame:

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed


Thanks for the reply! I'm planning to use them with an Audioengine D1 DAC/amp so I think it's good enough. I am convinced that these headphones are a good pair, it's just a matter of personal preference from now on.

 

But, I've also noticed that I can get the SRH940 for a good price, so I'm wondering if it's worth the extra cash. Maybe I will save a little for them.

post #17707 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokMadui View Post


Thanks for the reply! I'm planning to use them with an Audioengine D1 DAC/amp so I think it's good enough. I am convinced that these headphones are a good pair, it's just a matter of personal preference from now on.

 

But, I've also noticed that I can get the SRH940 for a good price, so I'm wondering if it's worth the extra cash. Maybe I will save a little for them.


The disadvantages of the 940 (other than higher price) are than they have had build quality problems (see threads on these boards for more details) and the mid-bass hump that many people like with the 840 has been removed and the sound made more neutral.  The result is that they have less bass.  The 940 is also a detail monster, which means that if you feed it crappy tracks, it will let you know just how bad they are.

 

Everything else is an improvement on the 840--comfort, speed, sound stage, treble--you name it.

post #17708 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


The disadvantages of the 940 (other than higher price) are than they have had build quality problems (see threads on these boards for more details) and the mid-bass hump that many people like with the 840 has been removed and the sound made more neutral.  The result is that they have less bass.  The 940 is also a detail monster, which means that if you feed it crappy tracks, it will let you know just how bad they are.

 

Everything else is an improvement on the 840--comfort, speed, sound stage, treble--you name it.


From what I've read, the 840 sounds more "balanced" as in less peaks in the sound signature except that mid-bass hump you've mentioned.

The 940 looks to be an analytical headphone with an emphasis on treble.

 

Also, the detail thing can be a problem. I listen to a lot of poorly recorded, obscure material, so I guess I should opt for a less revealing headphone.

 

EDIT: I've seen there's a relatively cheaper, SRH840-A model, but couldn't find anything about that. Any idea?


Edited by PokMadui - 8/10/12 at 2:39am
post #17709 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokMadui View Post


From what I've read, the 840 sounds more "balanced" as in less peaks in the sound signature except that mid-bass hump you've mentioned.

The 940 looks to be an analytical headphone with an emphasis on treble.

 

Also, the detail thing can be a problem. I listen to a lot of poorly recorded, obscure material, so I guess I should opt for a less revealing headphone.

 

EDIT: I've seen there's a relatively cheaper, SRH840-A model, but couldn't find anything about that. Any idea?


Never hear of the 840-A.  Where did you see it?  My wild guess is that it is a second or refurb.

post #17710 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


Never hear of the 840-A.  Where did you see it?  My wild guess is that it is a second or refurb.


Never actually seen it, but I've seen a shop listing it, and it was marginally cheaper than the regular one. Could be a mistake though.

 

EDIT: Thanks for all the help, man! I think I'll eventually buy them on Sunday.


Edited by PokMadui - 8/10/12 at 3:50am
post #17711 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderTJ View Post

Analytical, closed-back, circumaural, preferrably in the $50 range. My highest is $80 shipped.
Thanks in advanced!
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Shure SRH440


I have never liked shures house sound.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
post #17712 of 29490

Hmm, that's a bit difficult, then.

By the way, do you need cans that are easy to drive, or are you going to be running them out of a good amp?

 

Cheers!

post #17713 of 29490

Hey guys i'm a relatively new audiophile. I started out on the ATH M50s which everyone was saying were the best intro cans. I enjoyed them for a bit then I got hungry for more and bought the Ultrasone Pro 750 which were ok, but being summer here I can't use them to walk around and on the subway because they make me sweat :). So I bought the ATH ESW9A portables and i love it, such a great sound in a set of portables. 

 

Now I've got the itch again and i need to take it to the next level and i'm wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I'm not a basshead but i need some kick in the lows, but of course nothing muddy. I listen to everything so that's probably not helpful. Budget wise I can't spend more than $400. Any thoughts?

post #17714 of 29490
Quote:

Now I've got the itch again and i need to take it to the next level and i'm wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I'm not a basshead but i need some kick in the lows, but of course nothing muddy. I listen to everything so that's probably not helpful. Budget wise I can't spend more than $400. Any thoughts?

Are you looking for open or closed back headphones?

post #17715 of 29490

closed because im on the subway with them.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum